Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Plain ole (cheep) rubber cement vs Rema 203

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-17, 08:47 AM
night mission

Bikes: Lotus Challenger SX, Bianchi Intenso 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm repairing tubes at a rate that suggests I need industrial qualities of patch and vulcanizing glue. Rema 203 Cold vulcanizing for patch repair (8 oz) is selling for $17.50 on Amazon. It appears other brands aimed at bike repair are selling for similar prices. Walmart sells Elmer's rubber cement (4 oz) for $2.19 (online price). Is the "bike" stuff any different? Anyone have any experience using one vs the other?
Old 06-10-17, 08:55 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
This comes up every now and then here. The short answer is, yes, there is a difference. The long answer is, you might get away with using rubber cement for a period of time, but it will eventually fail in adhesion. "Proper" patch cement has a vulcanizing aspect that will bond the patch to the tube.

The proper fix may still fail, by the way...but done well, you can easily continue using the tube until it fails catastrophically (or gets a hole too close to another patch to fix it).
Old 06-10-17, 09:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yup, Its been posted before, have a look ..

Try "search", or "archives", here?

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-10-17 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-10-17, 09:50 AM
night mission

Bikes: Lotus Challenger SX, Bianchi Intenso 105

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies/imput. Forum searches are like looking for stuff in the kitchen, You can look around aimlessly thinking you know where stuff is or you can shortcut the process and ask the boss, who knows everything. I did look and may have found a relevant post or thread, but failed in the short time I allotted.

Will order the real stuff and a couple more tubes. Anyone know where to get the real little tubes of glue for carry kits? The Park Tool patch repair kit comes with lots more patches than the puny cement tube could ever fix. Figuring to just make the glue tubes one off for road repair and replace at home with another tube. Will have the industrial can of Rema 203 for workshop repairs.
Old 06-10-17, 10:06 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I buy Slime rubber cement at the auto parts store.
Old 06-10-17, 10:10 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The "correct" Rema cement is better but i've successfully patched dozens of tubes over many years using Elmer's rubber cement so it does work.
Old 06-10-17, 10:13 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by night mission
I'm repairing tubes at a rate that suggests I need industrial qualities of patch and vulcanizing glue. Rema 203 Cold vulcanizing for patch repair (8 oz) is selling for $17.50 on Amazon. It appears other brands aimed at bike repair are selling for similar prices. Walmart sells Elmer's rubber cement (4 oz) for $2.19 (online price). Is the "bike" stuff any different? Anyone have any experience using one vs the other?

I'm pretty sure that Elmer's rubber cement is not "industrial quality vulcanizing glue." It just dries.
Old 06-10-17, 12:00 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by night mission
Thanks for the quick replies/imput. Forum searches are like looking for stuff in the kitchen, You can look around aimlessly thinking you know where stuff is or you can shortcut the process and ask the boss, who knows everything. I did look and may have found a relevant post or thread, but failed in the short time I allotted.
For future reference, vBulletin's search feature is pretty crummy. Unless you are looking on a closed forum (that you need an account to view sub-forums in), you will be better served by searching using Google:
insite:www.bikeforums.net rubber cement, for instance, will search all of bikeforums looking for instances of 'rubber' and 'cement'. To add to the fun, you could do insite:www.bikeforums.net "rubber cement", which will look specifically for instances of rubber and cement, right next to each other.

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
I'm pretty sure that Elmer's rubber cement is not "industrial quality vulcanizing glue." It just dries.
This is true, but it is airtight, when applied properly. As has been noted here (and in past threads), it works 'well enough'. Since 'well enough' means 'sometimes not', I prefer to use the right product, and fix it once, instead of twice. That's just me, though.
Old 06-10-17, 12:27 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You def want the vulcanizing one.

I used a regular rubber cement for awhile since I thought it would work as well. It does work, but not for long periods of time - all of my patched tubes with regular rubber cement leaked after about 4 weeks or so. I actually kind of lost faith in patching for awhile, then I remembered that I wasn't using the vulcanizing one.

Once I went back to the vulcanizing one, the patches work long-term.
Old 06-10-17, 01:28 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Life's too short to use an inferior product.
Elmers etal may hold, or it may hold for awhile.
One problem that occurs is when you get your next flat and need to air up the tube to find the leak, an old patch may "pull off".
That's a problem I've ran into with "stick on" patches.

Nice thing about REMA patches with the feathered edge is overlapping patches is no problem.
Old 06-10-17, 01:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
there are bulk packages too half pint jars, & boxes of a half gross of little tubes of the self vulcanizing fluid
& patches by the hundreds...
Old 06-10-17, 01:49 PM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What i'm wondering is are those large patches any good? I've used them and my tube became so deformed that my tire was wobbly...........
Old 06-10-17, 04:16 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...W-VxoCpvDw_wcB
Old 06-10-17, 04:25 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
It's what people used to call "horse glue". Might be good for gluing your floormats back on your car, but not to hold 60 psig or more...
Old 06-10-17, 06:56 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
vBulletin search engine works fine IF you understand its an open ended search engine.

Searching for exact matches - will give you nothing.
Searching for a general term independent of forum selection - will give you too much incluidng unrelated.

Search > Advanced Search > Select "Bicycle Mechanics" > Search for "rubber cement glue"

Enjoy the list...

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 06-10-17, 07:13 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Astrozombie
What i'm wondering is are those large patches any good? I've used them and my tube became so deformed that my tire was wobbly...........
So long as the tube can stretch to fill the volume of the tire, you'll be fine. Big patches, small patches, lots of patches... it doesn't matter.
Old 06-11-17, 11:03 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I batch patch too, and honestly, I find it easiest and best to just buy the small Park Tool patch kits that sell for around $5 to batch patch 4-6 tubes at a time, and then be done with it. You don't have to worry about the cement going dry, and you'll do it so infrequently (like 3x/yr max - else you're getting 18 flats a year which is ridiculous), so it's not a cost issue to not buy in bulk.
Old 06-11-17, 05:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
I buy the boxes of 100 Rema patches, I like that you can get small ones that fit a road tube. I use the Slime cement, easy to find at Walmart or the auto parts store. The Slime may not be as good as the Rema but I've been using it for years w/o failure.
Old 06-11-17, 06:07 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
This also what I am currently using with zero patch failures.

Rubber Cement Vulcunizing Compound is almost as contentious as chain lube....

My last two jars have been from different autoparts store offerings at about half the cost of rema.

As recommended by others here, I keep the jar tightly closed between uses and turn it upside down. My last jar was getting pretty thick by the time I got to the bottom.
Old 06-12-17, 04:19 AM
CabezaShok

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use contact cement and homemade rubber patches from old tubes

for the past 5 years ive had good luck contact cement and homemade rubber patches from old tubes. After sanding and degreasing with alcohol i apply THICK coats of cement on both patch and tube, let sit for 10-15 then clamp together in a vice protected with wax paper, then let cure overnight. then i test pump for leaks and add more contact cement if needed.

contact cement is cheap everywhere but California and comes in big steel cans at hardware stores. It is water resistant but not waterproof, so i think its not the ideal stuff for leaky cracked/old tires in wet climates.
It works well for me most of the time but some tubes just don't like this cement, so I will try this GreenSlime auto tire glue on those.
Old 06-12-17, 05:31 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
I stick to Rema patches and glue - for all I've tried, they seem to work best.

As for "vulcanizing" - for all I know, that reffers to an irreversable process of changing rubber's attributes. All the patches, including Rema's allow for a reversable process - you can heat it up with an iron and easily remove the patches. Same happens in case a tyre gets very, very hot (if it doesn't blow up first) - the patches will come loose. Vulcanized rubber, and patches made using that technology do not allow for this - for better and for worse.
Old 06-12-17, 06:04 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
It's what people used to call "horse glue". Might be good for gluing your floormats back on your car, but not to hold 60 psig or more...
The glue bond doesn't have to hold 60 psi or even 10 psi. A perfect tube won't hold 60 psi. The glue only has to seal the hole in the tube. The tire contains the pressure.

I agree Elmers isn't the ideal patch glue but it's what we always have around and I've had very good success using it and, no the patches don't fail in 4 weeks, or even 4 months. I do use Rema patches and they contribute a great deal to the success.
Old 06-12-17, 09:59 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
This

Originally Posted by davidad
I buy Slime rubber cement at the auto parts store.
Not this.

Originally Posted by HillRider
The "correct" Rema cement is better but i've successfully patched dozens of tubes over many years using Elmer's rubber cement so it does work.
Old 06-12-17, 10:47 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,212 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider

+1.

If OP is going through patches so fast that he'll run out of glue before it dries up, go ahead and get the Rema. It just hurts more when you open the can and it's the consistency of warm bubble gum. $3-4 bottle of Elmer's hits that stage? Toss it!

And just FWIW, I didn't had a plague of bad patches when I started using Elmer's. They last just as long as any other patch -- until the valve craps out or until there's a hole too big to bother patching, whichever comes first.
Old 06-12-17, 04:25 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,430 Times in 2,537 Posts
Originally Posted by zebede
This also what I am currently using with zero patch failures.

Rubber Cement Vulcunizing Compound is almost as contentious as chain lube....

My last two jars have been from different autoparts store offerings at about half the cost of rema.

As recommended by others here, I keep the jar tightly closed between uses and turn it upside down. My last jar was getting pretty thick by the time I got to the bottom.
Note, the product you linked to is named "VICTOR Rubber Cement", but one of the reviews talks about how they got an MSDS from the manufacturer that calls it "Chemical VULCANIZING Cement".

I like the idea to turn it upside down. Any thoughts on what kind of container would be able to store (and dispense) small quantities from this big can in your seatbag, to go with a handful of rema patches for roadside repairs? Maybe something as simple as a ziploc bag with a single-use amount? Cut the corner off, squeeze it out, throw it away?

For the last few years I've gotten good results from Park VP-1 kits. At the moment I'm 'ahead' in that I have an opened tube of glue that hasn't run out or dried up, but I used up all the patches from that kit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.