Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Collectible fixed gear boom bikes

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 08-23-18, 05:39 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts

I have a few older fixed and was thinking. There was a Road bike boom in the 70s, BMX 80s, MTB 90's and Fixed in the 00's (Oughts). What do you see as being the most collectible or coolest from this time? Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I can tell, 07-09' seemed to be the peak for non conversion bikes.

Show'em if you got'em.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 08-23-18 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 06:23 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Maybe IROs and that one steel Leader that was good? Also the now dead Cinelli Mash frames. I never stopped wanting a Histogram because they're cool and I'm an idiot.
Old 08-23-18, 06:37 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
#kilott
Old 08-24-18, 12:52 PM
zubes5280

Bikes: Cinelli Mash Histogram, Raleigh Tokul 3, All-City Macho Man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bianchi Super Pista and Pista Concept. Cinelli x MASH collab bikes (Histogram, Parallax, Bolt). Leader 722TS.
Old 08-24-18, 08:09 PM
pwebb

Bikes: Mash Work, Gunnar Crosshairs, Velo Orange Camargue

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Collectability wise the answer to this question is the Cannondale Track from the early 90's. Not many bikes from the time period you specified will ever appreciate in value.

As far as coolness goes:
Pista Concepts are dope but have the seatpost clamp issue. Full disclosure I have one, that is not cracked and celeste, it is the best
GT Pulse - the only other aluminum bike i will ever buy, especially if i can find a wound up fork to pair with it.
Raleigh Macaframa's are super underrated and great frames from that time period.
Never ridden one, but some people love their Superb Sprints, which are basically cdale track clones
Cinelli Mash OG frames.
NJS non-dented frames, i'm a sucker for that rainbow flake paintjob

It really comes down to what you think is cool. None of these bikes will ever become collectible in value if you actually ride them, so figure out what you like and ride it.
Old 08-25-18, 08:04 AM
Bikerider007

Thanks for the input guys.

@pwebb I agree the Cannondale is a collectible track bike but not from this particular era. I would love one but they are through the roof. The new ones are cool and can be found within reason but just not the same fat tube looking.

I can't see nothing being collectible for an entire generation as some bikes were popular, so heres my .02 which Im sure you guys know. As people get older they either want what the couldn't have and now have expendable cash, or they had something and let it go and it will bring back memories.

I know for me it was actually the DC Shoe PK Ripper fixed that reminded me of my BMX days, as I am not riding a 20" bike anymore.

The big names like Cinelli and Bianchi will have a place. Schwinn only had one mentionable, a Madison remake that is pretty, but a little on the heavy side with OS cro mo tubing. Most fixed are not track light so it could be a keeper.

Also, the one crossover I really like, as in track or fixed, is the earlier (nicer) Jamis Sonik. Not a great fixed for urban only but doubles well for the track.

We're there any hot item customs? Those tend to do well looking back at other generations. Dang I wrote a book with my phone. Lol!
Old 08-27-18, 12:22 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Like pwebb already said the Cannondale Track from the 90's is very collectible at the moment. It's sort of an anomaly. The Cinelli Laser is also a cool bike if you can get your hands on one. Good condition NJS framesets from 3renchso, Nagasawa, Samson, etc...are also very desirable.

Like most things that reach collectible status it's a combination limited availability and high demand. What makes something high demand is the trick, so just holding on to a bunch of old bikes doesn't mean they will ever be worth anything.
Old 08-27-18, 02:02 PM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Two come to mind for me, the Colnago Super singlespeed, and the Trek District Carbon. My LBS had the Colnago hanging for a long time- may still be there, I thought it was way overpriced at about $1900. The Trek, granted, was singlespeed only, but it had the Gates belt drive and was based on a Madone frame. Usually Treks don't do anything for me, but that was a cool looking bike.
Old 08-27-18, 05:06 PM
motrheadsroadie

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
that se premium brew you over paid for a decade ago is totally worth its weight in gold.
Old 08-28-18, 05:41 PM
Bikerider007

Originally Posted by motrheadsroadie
that se premium brew you over paid for a decade ago is totally worth its weight in gold.
I don't know about gold but definitely worth at least+ what I paid. One was picked up from a guy that bought new and couldn't get into fixed. The other from someone moving needing money. Either way riding and memories is the real money. I would consider them collectible though.
Old 08-29-18, 06:35 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Think the premium brew and the Fuji obey are basically the same bike made by Maxway. Worth hanging on to if you enjoy riding it but wouldn’t count on it ever being collectible..
Old 08-29-18, 07:16 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
All city big block for sure, I'll give you a great deal say 2k? definitely going up in value ;-)
Old 08-29-18, 02:14 PM
Bikerider007

Originally Posted by REDMASTA
Think the premium brew and the Fuji obey are basically the same bike made by Maxway. Worth hanging on to if you enjoy riding it but wouldn’t count on it ever being collectible..
I don't know who has a premium brew or if those look alike.

I have DC Shoes/PK fixed. The drops are stamped DC/SE Racing with limited frame # (serial is on bb) as is the headbadge. Look like this. Other is all black.

SE is kind of like the Colnago of BMX and does these special editions and collaborations. I don't expect any bikes to appreciate through the roof if at all. But I like bikes that actually hold value and PK Ripper have a huge following.

Originally Posted by Wspsux
All city big block for sure, I'll give you a great deal say 2k? definitely going up in value ;-)
All City are pretty nice.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 08-30-18 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-29-18, 04:53 PM
motrheadsroadie

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
the base demographic for those reissued pk rippers were dui dads who had the originals 40 years ago. nasty.
Old 08-29-18, 05:25 PM
Bikerider007

Originally Posted by motrheadsroadie
the base demographic for those reissued pk rippers were dui dads who had the originals 40 years ago. nasty.
​​​​​​Yes very nasty. And I did have a PK and like to drink, cheers.

By the way, not sure you ride but it helps when you are down or sour. Will turn that frown upside down.
Old 08-29-18, 06:38 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Those PK Rippers had a habit of snapping in half. Not good if you like to ride bikes, but maybe scarcity drives up value?
Old 08-29-18, 08:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
@Bikerider007: Except for the fact Colnago made and still makes excellent bikes ridden by the likes of Eddy Merckx and Molteni, Team Mapei. Typiclly when Colnago does a special edition it is sometimes a bit more special than their standard frame with a few other logos slapped on for good measure. Plus Colnago has been making bikes through their entire history and haven't been bought out. They are still owned by Ernesto Colnago not Advanced Sports International which buys out failing brands and tries to make them seem cool again.

Sure SE back in the 70s and 80s did excellent stuff for Bicycle Moto Cross but now they seem so far removed from that.
Old 08-29-18, 09:56 PM
Bikerider007

@veganbikes I understand what SE does and is.. I have Colnago, DeRosas, Cinelli etc. IMO, Colnago is flashy and popular, SE and even Cinelli seem similar, to me.

My whole point is trying to find what may be seen as collectible per my original post but I get derailed by joker's that don't even know what bike I am talking about then hate on it.
Old 08-29-18, 10:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

What Colnago do you have? Also curious about your DeRosas as well? As a bike nerd and an Italian bike lover I always love seeing what people got.

The SE bikes are low end bikes that sometimes say different things that aren't Landing Gear and PK Ripper (or whatever other Ripper name they need) the custom stuff is just some sticker or paint work not anything really custom or uniquely designed. It is like a t-shirt company printing a different t-shirt than normal. Sure they may only print 100 of those t-shirts but all in all it is not different from the thousands of other t-shirts they normally print. Of course this is not to say Colnago hasn't maybe done a few things like that but there is a difference between a handpainted jobber and mass produced in smaller quantities. Colnago has been working with Ferrari not so much for badges and logos but for design and improvements just like Specialized and their work with McLaren. Colnago has been working with Ferrari for a long time and their first major project was certainly super techy.

I wonder what a company like say DC Shoes actually contributed to the design aside from allowing ASI to use their logos.

I won't deny Colnago does have some hype and maybe a little mythicalness surrounding them but when you are ridden by greats like Johan Museeuw and Eddy Merckx and your owner was a mechanic for Eddy and still runs the company and helped bring carbon into the pro peloton along with a lot of other cool innovation it makes sense. Sure maybe some of their newer stuff is not as cool as the earlier stuff but I think they truly have earned a good reputation and kept it. It is not like they were putting various celebrities and companies names on their bikes just to stay relevant.
Old 08-29-18, 10:28 PM
Bikerider007

Originally Posted by seau grateau
Those PK Rippers had a habit of snapping in half. Not good if you like to ride bikes, but maybe scarcity drives up value?
It did for the old ones. I've jumped hundreds of curbs on mine. 180s (I'll admit I am concerned it would break on a 360 so I have not tried) but also bar spins, ride backward etc. Is all good. I've seen and read about guys that were jumping and using these on vert ramps when they came out and broke. There is one picture that always floats around. I have broke my share of bikes and could break this, but not if used as intended.
Old 08-29-18, 11:22 PM
Bikerider007

@veganbikes I also like Italians I have 7 I believe.
​​​​​​
Colango is a Super 84ish Saronni red
DeRosa is special edition gold decals Ambrosio color, 78'
Other DeRosa, Professional chrome, 80'

I like old bikes and thats what prompted me to see what may one day be somewhat collectible for fixed. I know about my bikes. Just wanted to see what others might like.

SE has a full line of bikes. Many of the fixed are really cheap and named after beer stuff or something. Like Draft.. I assume DC was some kind of sponsor. They only did the DC shoe model in 2009 for fixed, for BMX PK it was 2007 or something. The standard PK Ripper fixed ran about 3 more years. They were all limited runs I beleive. There were 1250 blue and 1250 black of the DC/PK. Looptail (and ball burnished on the aluminum color one) like the original PK.
​​

Last edited by Bikerider007; 08-30-18 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-30-18, 12:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Bikerider007
@veganbikes I also like Italians I have 7 I believe.
​​​​​​
Colango is a Super 84ish Saronni red
DeRosa is special edition gold decals Ambrosio color, 78'
Other DeRosa, Professional chrome, 80'

I like old bikes and thats what prompted me to see what may one day be somewhat collectible for fixed. I know about my bikes. Just wanted to see what others might like.

SE has a full line of bikes. Many of the fixed are really cheap and named after beer stuff or something. Like Draft.. I assume DC was some kind of sponsor. They only did the DC shoe model in 2009 for fixed, for BMX PK it was 2007 or something. The standard PK Ripper fixed ran about 3 more years. They were all limited runs I beleive. There were 1250 blue and 1250 black of the DC/PK. Looptail (and ball burnished on the aluminum color one) like the original PK.
​​
Nice, I like older Italian bikes you got what could be some nice ones!

SE does limited runs of the same exact bikes they already make with just different logos or branding. Maybe vintage SE might be worth a little something but ASI's SE bikes are not.
Old 08-30-18, 02:43 PM
Bikerider007

@veganbikes We'll have to agree to disagree that all SE bikes are worth nothing. I get like many old BMX they sold out and are not made in the USA. Just like most road and everything else, machines took over. But branding and popularity also play a part, that was my reason for comparing Cinelli and Colnago. Die hards say the same thing about new Cinelli and Colnago, no good after Cino retired, Ernesto doesn't build his bikes....but try and find a CNC'd Cinelli Starship from a few years back. Certain bikes from the 00's will be collectible.

Hmmm. next thread up. The 10's, FAT TIRE BIKES THAT ARE COLLECTIBLE.
Old 08-30-18, 03:02 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,959 Times in 1,571 Posts
I remember when I really wanted an IRO Angus back in the day
Old 08-30-18, 03:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Bikerider007
@veganbikes We'll have to agree to disagree that all SE bikes are worth nothing. I get like many old BMX they sold out and are not made in the USA. Just like most road and everything else, machines took over. But branding and popularity also play a part, that was my reason for comparing Cinelli and Colnago. Die hards say the same thing about new Cinelli and Colnago, no good after Cino retired, Ernesto doesn't build his bikes....but try and find a CNC'd Cinelli Starship from a few years back. Certain bikes from the 00's will be collectible.

Hmmm. next thread up. The 10's, FAT TIRE BIKES THAT ARE COLLECTIBLE.
I guess so. Modern SE bikes aren't the same as the vintage SE Racing stuff but then again it is a different company and hasn't had the continuity. At least Cinelli and Colnago have that continuity. SE I believe went bankrupt or sold to foreign investors and nothing happened with the company and then the name got bought by ASI in the early 2000s. ASI finds the scraps of once great companies and tries to make them "great again".

I think you are right on bikes from this era becoming collectible as with any era there are collectibles but some stuff is really cool and different and some stuff is just made in smaller quantities to make it seem collectible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.