Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling
View Poll Results: 2-Bolt or 3-Bolt Cleats for Non-Competitive Road Use?
2-Bolt
88.89%
3-Bolt
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Clipless Pedals: 2-Bolt or 3-Bolt?

Old 12-16-20, 02:18 PM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I use loctite (or a competitor product) on all rack bolts, fender bolts, cleat bolts, kickstand bolts. On my Rohloff bike, loctite the oil drain screw too, but that is more out of concern for dissimilar metal corrosion.

And use grease on bolts for water bottle cages, seatposts, stems, just about everything else that is threaded.

A friend of mine did a fully supported trip in Asia, this was pre-covid. I think he used his own bike, but otherwise all lodging and food was provided. Somehow he lost a SPD cleat, although he told me that he used loctite on the bolts.
I use anti-seize on anything that needs to be unscrewed, BB, pedals etc. Bottle cage bolts I loctite. Of course, even loctite bolts need to be inspected occasionally.
Old 12-16-20, 05:11 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I use Vibra-Tite VC-3 when I need a threadlocker on my bike or bike shoes.
Old 01-24-21, 07:10 PM
Howard70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
HelloCycletography:

I've ridden both Shimano SPD (two bolt) and Shimano SPD-SL (three bolt). I initially shifted to the SPD-SL from the SPD when I started riding long miles exclusively on road bikes. I felt the SPD-SL was more comfortable (less "hot foot" - that pain under the ball of my feet right at the cleat) after 80+ miles, especially on hot summer rides. If I was still riding road bikes I'd still be on SPD-SL's. However, I've now shifted almost completely to dirt (rigid mountain and gravel bikes) and I much prefer the SPD for the ease of walking. A lot of my rides are exploratory and I find that I have to "hike-a-bike" for miles to connect drainages and two-track jeep trails more than I plan!

I don't use single-sided or platform/SPD pedals as I'm always wearing my cleated shoes simply because they walk so well I don't take anything else on bikepacking trips. I'm currently riding SRM X-Power pedals because I wanted power measurement that I could switch between bikes. I'm really happy with those pedals for riding and power measurement. As far as I know they are one of the only (if not the only) SPD pedal based power meter. Ridiculously expensive unless you really want an SPD power measuring pedal.

Howard