Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Are there any Gravel bikes between $500-$950...

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-21, 06:30 PM
saperry42usa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am in the market for a new gravel bike. Minimum budget thinking about $500-$950
Are there any gravel bikes at this price range?
Old 01-03-21, 06:48 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by saperry42usa
I am in the market for a new gravel bike. Minimum budget thinking about $500-$950
Are there any gravel bikes at this price range?
Have you looked at bikesdirect.com? This looks like a decent bike, hydraulic brakes too:

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...avel-bikes.htm

Dave
Old 01-03-21, 06:48 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Here's a few:

https://www.poseidonbike.com/ See the Redwood and X

https://www.statebicycle.com/product...kaAtEoEALw_wcB

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journe...man_claris_700

Problem is most are sold out. Talked to my lbs and Journeymans are looking to be back in August... YMMV
Old 01-03-21, 07:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Have you looked at bikesdirect.com? This looks like a decent bike, hydraulic brakes too:

Dave
that is easily one of the nicer spec'd gravel bikes I've seen for under $900. Well spec'd and good geometry. Speaking of, I see BD finally joined the 2010s and added stack and reach to their geometry.
Old 01-03-21, 08:25 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
Used, with rim brakes.

Often lighter than a disc brake equivalent. Unless you're bombing mountain passes, probably fine.
Old 01-03-21, 09:20 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
that is easily one of the nicer spec'd gravel bikes I've seen for under $900. Well spec'd and good geometry. Speaking of, I see BD finally joined the 2010s and added stack and reach to their geometry.
Another thing I just noticed about this bike is the 3 pack mounts on the fork. When I was looking for a gravel bike a few months ago, not many bikes had this option. It's super nice if you have any long rides you'd like to try, but your water sources are minimal. You can add a bottle cage to each side of the fork. A bunch of gravel rides I've done have no store stops since they are so remote. Also good for bike packing. Even if you don't use the mounts all the time, having the option is worth it's weight in gold.

Dave
Old 01-03-21, 09:49 PM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Used, with rim brakes.

Often lighter than a disc brake equivalent. Unless you're bombing mountain passes, probably fine.
I concur.

Rigid 26" mountain bikes can make really nice gravel bikes - at mininimum, by switching to tires like René Herse's Rat Trap Pass, and potentially involving some other tweaks, like converting to drop bars.

On the up side, such bikes are available used, and pretty inexpensive. One possible downside is that this might be a challenging project for a novice.
Old 01-03-21, 10:34 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Without knowing anything about how you intend to use it, I would say the State All-Road /w the 650b wheelset is easily the best budget bike for someone new to gravel that will take them anywhere. Just seems like a good no-nonsense bike that they have sold enough of already to be a known quantity, and people like it.

Also, having done exactly what some others are advocating (converting an old steel MTB), I would say that's great to learn bike maintenance and building (a needed skill for adventures, and riding lots of miles), but doesn't necessarily result in a great gravel bike unless you know how to do right, and in a way that makes economic sense.

Last edited by zen_; 01-03-21 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-03-21, 11:20 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Jamis Renegade A1 is listed at $899, although if you can afford the next step up to $1300 the S4 is a nicer frame, steel with carbon fork, that would be more worth upgrading as you figure out how you want to use the bike. No idea on availability. The forum unfortunately won't let me post links to the Jamis site for those models as I haven't hit my requisite 10 posts yet, but a quick search will of course get you there.
Old 01-05-21, 06:43 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
Jamis Renegade A1 is listed at $899, although if you can afford the next step up to $1300 the S4 is a nicer frame, steel with carbon fork, that would be more worth upgrading as you figure out how you want to use the bike. No idea on availability. The forum unfortunately won't let me post links to the Jamis site for those models as I haven't hit my requisite 10 posts yet, but a quick search will of course get you there.
This and the Salsa Journeyman are great inexpensive but decently made options. If you can go the extra cash to get the Sora (9 sp.) level Journeyman instead of the Claris you will find it money very well spent.
Old 01-05-21, 07:16 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Originally Posted by bonsai171

Dave
Just FYI. Nearly every bike on BD is sold out and all gravel bikes are sold out right now...
Old 01-06-21, 07:32 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I have the state allroad. Its decent riding bike.

The redwood and salsa were both considerations when I was looking but the state bikes were available..
Old 01-25-21, 10:05 PM
dwmckee

Interestingly, some of the smaller brands are doing better than the large ones at getting bikes out to dealers so far.
Old 02-25-21, 11:11 PM
kmba

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Felt Broam 60 (sometimes)
Breezer RADAR (sometimes)
Diamondback Haanjo 2
Fuji Jari 2.5
Jamis Renegade A1
Kona Rove AL
Marin Nicasio
Mongoose Guide Sport
Poseidon Redwood
Poseidon X
​​​​​​​State All Road
Old 02-26-21, 12:32 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,027 Posts
I buy Motobecanes from bikesdirect then modify them with a few upgrades and they have been great bikes. 700 dollar bike then I will look for deals and upgrade various parts to customize the ride. I enjoy wrenching bikes and I do most repairs. I will got to a LBS if I need something done and I don’t want to spend the $ on the needed tool I will only use once.
Old 02-26-21, 12:13 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
At tad out of your range, and it’s a bit basic but here: https://www.rei.com/product/150008/p...adventure-bike
Old 02-26-21, 12:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by walnutz
At tad out of your range, and it’s a bit basic but here: https://www.rei.com/product/150008/p...adventure-bike
Thats a good option right now- considering bike stock is relatively limited and has increased in price. Good basic frame and fork, plenty decent Claris shifting, great stock gearing, and tubeless ready wheels plus tires. The price increased by $100 since last year, like most all other bikes.

I chuckled at this listed feature-
- Adjustable drop handlebar with a variety of hand positions and gel-padded tape

Adjustable? I saw Canyon actually does have an adjustable drop bar that changes width. Pure is comin after Canyon's higher tier offerings!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-26-21, 01:11 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Poseidon X or Redwood is maybe the best bang for the buck, if you're cool with that geometry.
Old 02-28-21, 11:02 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 441 Posts
The bikes I was looking at were the Motobecane Gravel X Pro, Motobecane Cross Trail, Posideon X and State All-Road. I emailed Bikes Direct and they have a shipment on both bikes coming. They're either in the middle of transport or they're still sitting at dock in LA. I ended up buying a used Gravel X Pro from Bike Island. I've had luck with them in the past and I should receive the bike next week, so I can chime in on my thoughts once I receive it. I went with the Gravel X Pro mainly for the Shimano GRX groupset and it's the only bike in this budget with hydraulic disc brakes. I just checked on the Poseidon X and as of Sunday morning, they sold out on the new shipment they received this week on all 3 of their frames (matte black, green and blue). That leaves you with the State All-Road with either a x-small or small frame in-stock, anything larger is still on pre-order. If you don't go for the State bike, your best bet is to wait on Bikes Direct to get their new shipment, so I'd check Monday and periodically throughout the week to see if the bikes have arrived.

Last edited by jonathanf2; 02-28-21 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-28-21, 12:23 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Let us know how it goes. There’s always a lot of curiosity about BikesDirect bikes. I’ve had a few myself.
Old 02-28-21, 12:56 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
The Bikes Direct Gravel X looks pretty nice for $1K, but as per usual with their bikes, there are some questionable choices with the geometry. Notice in the stock photo they have a 17 degree stem flipped up with 25mm of spacers under it, and a tall headset cap. Visually it just doesn't look like the stated stack height and wheelbase is accurate.
Likes For zen_:
Old 02-28-21, 02:16 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by zen_
The Bikes Direct Gravel X looks pretty nice for $1K, but as per usual with their bikes, there are some questionable choices with the geometry. Notice in the stock photo they have a 17 degree stem flipped up with 25mm of spacers under it, and a tall headset cap. Visually it just doesn't look like the stated stack height and wheelbase is accurate.
I currently have two BD Motobecane single speed gravel bikes and I've ended up with multiple stems and spacers to refine the fit. I found going a size smaller at least for me, gives me way more flexibility on how I can set the bike up. Plus there is reduced weight and stiffness benefits. On my bigger frame I went with a short stem and on my smaller frame a long stem and I adjust the seat accordingly (moving forward/backward up/down). One thing I noticed with the State All-Road is that the top tube is really slanted and that's seeing it on multiple YT reviews. Visually I just don't find it all that appealing. On looks alone I think the Poseidon X looks the best, with the Motobecane and State bike coming in 2nd and 3rd.
Old 03-01-21, 11:08 AM
jonathanf2

This site has a gravel bike for $1000 USD running Shimano Sora components, mechanical disc brakes and they offer a lifetime warranty on the frame. The frames are made by Polygon, a bike manufacturer from Indonesia.

https://www.bikesonline.com/2021-pol...0b-gravel-bike

Last edited by jonathanf2; 03-01-21 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-02-21, 08:50 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Breezer Radar
Old 03-02-21, 10:44 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
Breezer Radar
Do you have a link to available stock?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.