Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Recommend stable gravel bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-21, 08:32 AM
Infraspinatus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recommend stable gravel bike

Hi,

Im looking for a stable bike that is stable ingoing forward direction.

I would guess that a gravel bike geometry would be the right, so thats why Im asking here.

I have previously owned a Trek checkpoint AL4 in size 56 and swapped it to a Rondo ruut AL1 size Medium, mostly because of SRAM 1x and shorter reach. The Rondo is better regarding neck issues but as I have been cycling more Ive got used to more reach.

I bike mainly for training purposes and mainly go cross country skiing and run. In the summer I like to go cycling on roads or gravel roads.

Prefer tyres around 40 mm and SRAM 1x drivetrain.

is there any geometry I could look at to see if a bike is stable?
How long fork/trail?
How long chainstay?
How long wheelbase?
Old 04-17-21, 08:58 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Most gravel bikes nowadays have fairly high trail, which is stable, at least while sitting. High trail means higher flop, so it may feel less stable while standing.
Old 04-19-21, 09:43 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Of course it depends on the terrain you ride. In hilly new England where I live, gravel roads tend to be steep with 12-18% grades. Going fast down those roads requires a more stable bike than gravel roads in Florida. Mine has 70 head angle and 50 mm offset and I still want more stability. I also climb the same roads I descend and have never once felt sluggish steering or wheel flop.
Old 04-20-21, 07:25 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Look at the geometry of your Rondo Ruut AL1. It has a Head Tube Angle of 71.5. If you want a bike that is "more stable", then look for a bike with a HTA less than 71.5.

There are gravel bikes with HTA's of 70 and below. These bikes will be described as long, low, slack, etc. and generally have longer wheelbases and will ride more similar to a hardtail/rigid MTB.

These bikes will be fast and smooth on downhills, but may feel sluggish and awkward when climbing or riding at low speed.