Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How did you first group ride end?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: How did you do on your first group ride?
Humbled
44.14%
As expected
21.62%
Better than expected.
34.23%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

How did you first group ride end?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 08:07 PM
SVThis

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710, 2010 Scott CR! Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had two flats on my first group ride. Bought two new tires and tubes the next day.
Old 08-25-10, 08:14 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hurley.girl
I unknowingly showed up to the local hammerfest that had recently dropped the slower (B) ride option. I hung for 1 hour. Then things got ugly. The group waited for me at turns, but I was really messing up their workout and felt badly about it. Had I known where I was, I'd have told them to leave me. I suspect that the only reason they actually waited for me was because I was a single chick.

This was over 12 years ago.
Correct.
Old 08-25-10, 08:23 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I was advised by freinds to ride with a beginner, no drop ride. So I did. The first thing I noticed was a really good looking girl in the group. Then, once the ride started, I noticed that she never rode above 12 MPH..... on a downhill.....with the wind at her back. It was awful.
Then another guy on the ride bonked. I mean, HOW do you bonk on a 11MPH average speed ride that's only 26 miles long with two rest stops?
At the end, when the group leader was asked by a freind how the ride went, he responded "Painfully slow".
I changed to another club on my next ride.

Last edited by roccobike; 08-25-10 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-25-10, 08:39 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
I destroyed the field on day 1 and continue to do so.

I'm one of the most talented bike riders out there. My mom told me so.
Old 08-25-10, 09:04 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
My first didn't turn out too well. Was one of a whole bunch of other newbies at school. Had a 60 mile out and back all planned. Did not take into account wind direction and strength when we woke up Saturday morning. Rode our asses off for 30 miles w a huge tail wind, impressing each other with our big ring skills. Then we turned around.

I learned several lessons.
Old 08-26-10, 03:14 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I'm trying to think what my first group ride was ... when it was ... with whom.

If a group is more than 3 people, I think it was in 1997 on a MS150 event ... and it went just fine, in fact, really well.
Old 08-26-10, 06:12 AM
Barese Rider

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2004Trek 2100,1985 Nishike Prestige

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first formal group ride was with the C group. Most of who were 30 something females into triathalons .It was a great group. Thye road along at a good pace, only a few guys attacked here and there and it was a very pleasant experience . My first ride with the A folks was humbling.
Old 08-26-10, 06:29 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
The name of this thread is "How did your first group ride end?" but I see most respondents answered with how it began. As it begins, so it ends....

On my first group ride I rode at my own pace, not as fast as the the hammer-bearers but not the slowest either. It was a "group" ride only in the sense that I could follow the arrows and not worry about where I was going. I enjoyed the ride.
Old 08-26-10, 06:34 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started with a lower end group and moved up every week until I got dropped. After the second week of getting dropped I figured the ride out, rode smarter and was able to hang with the top group. These days I ride mostly solo but ride in with various groups that come through town on the weekend, so I usually get 30-40m of fast group riding and then rest of the 2hrs solo, works better for me that way

2013 Noah RS
Old 08-26-10, 06:50 AM
NickDavid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blackdays
Dropped by a bunch of old guys.
+1

Few years ago, on my first group ride, I popped off the back very quickly. I thought I was hot sh1t, got up front, quickly died and then watched them all go by. I got so lost, but eventually found my way back. Humbling, to say the least.
Old 08-26-10, 07:07 AM
eric_anderson
eric anderson

Bikes: heavy ones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First group ride was with the local bike shop Wed night ride in april 1993. I had just returned from 6 months at Ft Benning in GA and had been riding all winter. We left the shop, made it about a mile through town still on a slow roll out and I ran into the guy in front of me because I was drinking from a water bottle and did not have a hand on the brake when the pack slowed. We both hit the pavement at around 15 mph. The group stopped circled and all started yelling at the guy I hit. I said straight out that I was at fault, but mostly they did not believe me. It turned out that the other guy had a bad rep for causing crashes. The rest of the ride went by in a blur, I remember dry heaving for about a mile after a hill but I wasn’t going to let those old farts drop me. When I got back to the parking lot I sat in my car for a long time before I was able to drive home. 17 years later I still ride with a lot of the same guys. It still hurts.
Old 08-26-10, 07:20 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^^ whatever is up with the font you are using, I find it very hard to read..

As for the OP's topic, I feel oblidged to answer since my post inspired him

The first attempt ended with me riding alone since nobody showed up at the indicated place on their website. After emailing the webmaster I found out they moved the start point but didn't update the website.

The next week I got to the real startpoint and there were three other guys, A CatIII guy on a Trek carbon , a former college racer on a Ti lightspeed, and another guy on a custom Serotta. Me on my 18 year old steel Specialized triple. Uh-oh. However they all looked older than me and they were cordial so off we went for a 50 mile journey. Warm up was at my normal solo riding pace two abreast with casual conversation. Uh-oh again. We take off and the pace picks up to faster than I've ever gone for a sustained time but where pacelining so I can hang. I take my pull start moving to the back and notice there are only 2 others left, I dropped the guy on the Serotta on a short hill. I feebly said something about should we wait for him when the guy on the Trek barrels on ahead. In my moment of should I wait or stay on and shut up indecision, I let a gap open up and can't catch back on. Decision made for me. The remaining two pushed on ahead til they got to a curve and noticed we weren't there and waited for us to catch up. Everbody pretty much stayed on then til the turnaround when they decided to go fast on the way home. It was all I could do to stay on the whole way home, we dropped the Serotta guy again and went faster then I'd ever gone until the CatIII guy turned off to head to his house. The last 3-5 miles was me doing everything I could to simply hold 20mph and not throw up while a guy 20 years older than me rode along beside making casual conversation. It ended with me putting my bike back in truck, thanking the remaining guy for the ride and in awe of what can actually be done on a bicycle if you put in an effort. A whole new world was opened up that day.

Two years later, I'm part of a these guys team and we ride together all the time, great fun, and even better friends. So I guess you could say it ended better than expected.

Last edited by RacerOne; 08-26-10 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-26-10, 07:22 AM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerOne
^^ whatever is up with the font you are using, I find it very hard to read..
the thread demands your input on your first ride.
Old 08-26-10, 07:35 AM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I was 22 or so and lived beside a retired British pro. He got me interested in the sport but before we rode, we sat and watched Beta videos of the workings of pelotons, eschalons and pacelines. He and I rode together for a couple of weeks before he invited me out with a few other members of his club. Once he was convinced I had the ability to control the bike and had an idea what I was doing, I joined his club and riding groups. No problems, and a great foundation for racing.

It's tough to find mentors like that now. I was fortunate.
Old 08-26-10, 07:40 AM
marcosbullock
Jinja

Bikes: Giant TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Solo
Old 08-26-10, 07:47 AM
RacerOne

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Yaniel
the thread demands your input on your first ride.
Sorry, I hit enter before I could add the rest.. see post #39.
Old 08-26-10, 07:48 AM
RacerOne

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
I was 22 or so and lived beside a retired British pro. He got me interested in the sport but before we rode, we sat and watched Beta videos of the workings of pelotons, eschalons and pacelines. He and I rode together for a couple of weeks before he invited me out with a few other members of his club. Once he was convinced I had the ability to control the bike and had an idea what I was doing, I joined his club and riding groups. No problems, and a great foundation for racing.

It's tough to find mentors like that now. I was fortunate.
THAT, is the way to do it.
Old 08-26-10, 07:57 AM
PRus

Bikes: SEVEN Elium SLX

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First ride was a B ride (20 miles) and i got dropped after 4 miles.The group waited for me three times. The ride leader would not let me quit.
Now four month later finished a 60 mile A+ ride without getting dropped.
I would like to thank all the riders who welcomed and supported me along the way.
No better feeling as to drop back now at times and help pulling a struggling rider back on.
Old 08-26-10, 08:03 AM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Yaniel
yea, I think my mistake is that my first group ride was one of the local racers rides. I show up and notice almost everyone in some local team kit and I ask about the ride. They tell me it's the easy day. I get shelled in 10 minutes. Now that I can do the ride, i learned that the easy ride is never under 23 mph average for the hour. I still haven't finished the hard ride. I'm glad I had this "baptism by fire" since it never allows me to get comfortable with my fitness because everyone is so strong.
I always worry when they tell me it's a recovery, easy ride. I have learned that is rarely the case. Get on the big ring and get ready from the start.
Old 08-26-10, 08:06 AM
petalpower

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My group ride consisted of mostly CAT3's , a few CAT1 MTB racers, and a national collegiate champion thrown in.

You tell me.

I'm still being "humbled".
Old 08-26-10, 09:08 AM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by petalpower
My group ride consisted of mostly CAT3's , a few CAT1 MTB racers, and a national collegiate champion thrown in.

You tell me.

I'm still being "humbled".
Sounds like my ride, some of the usuals are who just won the manhattan beach GP, one guy who used to ride for ONCE in Europe and a few other ex pros
Old 08-26-10, 11:43 AM
Keep SA Lame
Retro Dork

Bikes: Cherry '81 Schwinn Le Tour, '07 Gary Fisher MTB and a bianchi road something or other

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1st group ride was with 2-300 people in costume for a Halloween ride.
Best
Ride
Eva!
Old 08-26-10, 11:54 AM
krazygl00
Your Recovery Ride Buddy

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Classique, 1999 Serotta C3S Atlanta, 2004 Kona Jake the Snake, 2009 Kona Paddywagon, 2006 Kona Kula, 1980's Fuji Pursuit TT Fix/SS conversion, 1980's Torpado Super Strada, Bridgestone RB1 Synergy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jr59
I moved to ATL. Ga. There on my first group ride I puked in somebodys very nice Buckhead lawn. They were leaving and stoped to ask if I was ok.
Ahh, I bet it was the "Buckhead Bellyache" ride. If so, how appropriate :-)

I used to live in ATL, and my first ride was the Outback Bikes ride that leaves out of Little 5 Points. It is considered a pretty fast, short ride, but not necessarily the fastest in town. My first time riding with them, I didn't think to hydrate all that day. Ran out of water less than halfway through the ride and limped home. The second time I rode it I learned my lesson; didn't run out of water but my calf did cramp up badly in the last mile. Fortunately in the last mile of that ride there are some very nice pubs
Old 08-26-10, 12:16 PM
Greg_R

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The first thing I noticed was a really good looking girl in the group. ...... I changed to another club on my next ride.
WTF? Priorities!

My 1st group ride was with the slow group, I didn't have any problems. After that I moved into an area w/o organized rides so I ride solo.
Old 08-26-10, 01:40 PM
Prairie Native

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first group ride I was off the back at mile 10. This was in early may I think. The group has 3 or 4 really good females and a bunch of cat3-4 men with one pro level dude in it. I was the only one with the leg fur and frame pump. However I had been riding pretty hard so I hung onto the group for quite a while. Had I known how echelons work and how closing a gap is important, I think I would have managed to the turn around.

I stayed in the back and took a pull after already being a bit knackered. The chick that was beside me in the double paceline is at pro level and was chatting to me while we pulled at 28 mph with a slight tailwind. She was commenting on how easy it is to pull with a tailwind. I couldnt even speak back to her. Then the real noobness shined when we turned a corner, had a terrible crosswind and they tried to explain echelons on the fly to me. I lasted 3 or 4 rotations and they were gone. I recovered, laughed it off and rode home.

Last edited by Prairie Native; 08-26-10 at 01:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.