Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which road pedal system?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which road pedal system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-11, 06:11 PM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The differences are more apparent than you think

- float vs "locked in"
- dual vs single side entry
- adjustability
- hotspot potential
- shoe selection
Old 06-30-11, 06:23 PM
DOOM_NX

Bikes: None at the moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- float vs "locked in"
Almost all can have no float or some degree of float. SPD-SL, Look and Speedplay can at least.

- dual vs single side entry
this is something I don't really care about. Besides, SPD-SL and Looks are weighted.

- adjustability
This I don't know. What do you mean by that?

- hotspot potential
Only plain old SPDs on MTB shoes can create hotspots as far as I know. SPD-SL/Look/Time/Speedplay on Carbon soles are unlikely to create.

- shoe selection
There's a huge range of shoes. Almost all road shoes support 3 bolt pattern. I gonna use road shoes with carbon sole.
Old 06-30-11, 06:30 PM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still miss the occasional clip in on my 105s, but not very often. When I do, it isn't that big a deal (except during a race..DOH!). I don't think I'd make my pedal choice on the one that is easier to get into...but that's just me.
Old 06-30-11, 06:35 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 540s (downgrade from 105) they are easy to enter (as everyone else has said) I have used normal shoes on them and it was just fine, they were slightly small. Clipping in is actually easy once you learn the trick: instead of trying to step into them touch your toe to the back side of the hinge while it points up and then slide your foot forward, with this I can clip in blind 100% of the time. I used to use mtb SPDs and I will never go back to them. I have a friend with look keo, they cost twice as much as mine... that was enough for me.
Old 06-30-11, 06:58 PM
Greg_R

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DOOM_NX
- adjustability
This I don't know. What do you mean by that?
I think he's talking about the amount of mounting play the cleats have (i.e. can you toe in or out your foot's neutral position or are you locked into "straight ahead"). Time has a lot of adjustability, not sure about the others.
- hotspot potential
Only plain old SPDs on MTB shoes can create hotspots as far as I know. SPD-SL/Look/Time/Speedplay on Carbon soles are unlikely to create.
I disagree, take a look at what people in the long distance forum are using... a mix of SPD, MTB, & SPD-SL. These guys/gals are riding 100s of miles at a time. I'm a big guy and have ridden with Time ATACs + Specialized BG shoes on centuries with no problems.
- shoe selection
There's a huge range of shoes. Almost all road shoes support 3 bolt pattern. I gonna use road shoes with carbon sole.
Sock, shoe, and pedal selection all work together to make the system. Get some good non-cotton performance socks, shoes that fit your feet & a solid cleat system and you're going to be happy.
Old 06-30-11, 07:06 PM
DOOM_NX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg_R
Get some good non-cotton performance socks, shoes that fit your feet & a solid cleat system and you're going to be happy.
This last tiny bit is what's bothering me :x
Old 06-30-11, 07:50 PM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This last tiny bit is what's bothering me :x
Don't think so much on it. There is nothing necessarily bad about any of the pedal systems mentioned. I just prefer the SPD-SL. I've used Look knock-offs, but not the real thing. Almost no experience with Speedplay (one 25 mile or so ride), and they weren't my favorite. Chances are you'll be happy with any of those 3 choices.
Old 06-30-11, 07:51 PM
BikeFoz

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper, Electra Flying Sue 3i

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're ultimately going to have to take a plunge and buy something you think you'll like. You'll soon find out there is no amount of research that can replace first hand experience. I think online research is good to weed out the "this or that is complete trash and avoid it." Beyond that the only opinion that matters is yours.
Old 06-30-11, 08:05 PM
DOOM_NX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you're right guys. I'll go with whatever my LBS has in stock and falls in the category we discussed.
I've read so many reviews online and everyone has a favorite pedal for one reason or another but I find those reviews highly subjective.

I guess I'll start at the 105's price range and if I get any knee pain I'll switch to Speedplays.

I hope they call me tomorrow to go get the bike. I can't wait any longer. I'm being obsessed with pedals without having something to ride lol.

Thanks again a lot for your experiences. At least it's nice to know there's no pedal to avoid like the plague.
Old 06-30-11, 11:33 PM
Stratman351

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm finding this thread fascinating, as I'm pondering the same question. I used Shimano PD-M424 pedals on my Specialized Sirrus flatbar the past 5 years and loved them: double-sided MTB pedal with a hard rubber/plastic platform surrounding the clip-in mechanism. The were bullet proof as far as getting going and clipping in, because you could use the platform for a second or so while you felt for the lock-in spot. The obvious downside of course is the extra weight and somewhat compromised cornering due to the profile.

On my my new Felt Z5 I wasn't sure how to go; since I like Shimano products an since they came recommended by a few people, I opted for Ultegra SPD-L pedals. Long and short of it is I hate them. I find them relatively clunky to get into, and they have zero float as far as I can tell, which means I find myself riding with my feet in what feels like an unnatural position (though it may be technically sound).

I'm thinking about switching to Speedplay Zero based on what I'm reading in this thread. I'm wondering if that means I've got to opt for new shoes to accomodate the Speedplay cleats?
Old 06-30-11, 11:40 PM
DOOM_NX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stratman351
I'm finding this thread fascinating, as I'm pondering the same question. I used Shimano PD-M424 pedals on my Specialized Sirrus flatbar the past 5 years and loved them: double-sided MTB pedal with a hard rubber/plastic platform surrounding the clip-in mechanism. The were bullet proof as far as getting going and clipping in, because you could use the platform for a second or so while you felt for the lock-in spot. The obvious downside of course is the extra weight and somewhat compromised cornering due to the profile.

On my my new Felt Z5 I wasn't sure how to go; since I like Shimano products an since they came recommended by a few people, I opted for Ultegra SPD-L pedals. Long and short of it is I hate them. I find them relatively clunky to get into, and they have zero float as far as I can tell, which means I find myself riding with my feet in what feels like an unnatural position (though it may be technically sound).

I'm thinking about switching to Speedplay Zero based on what I'm reading in this thread. I'm wondering if that means I've got to opt for new shoes to accomodate the Speedplay cleats?
No, you don't have to buy new shoes. You can use speedplay cleats in place of the current SPD-SL cleats.

But your answer is really a downer
Old 07-04-11, 01:31 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Thanks to the people that answered my question. I hadn't heard about "hot spot" issues before and that it's most likely to happen with MTB pedals. So far I have over 4,500 miles since last July with several 50+ mile rides and haven't experienced this. Let's hope it stays that way.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-04-11, 02:02 PM
DOOM_NX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, I went with Look Keo 2 Max, white. There weren't any 105's, Speedplays or Times at stock.

But hey, they look good

Old 07-04-11, 02:11 PM
Stratman351

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A week ago I'd barely heard of Speedplays; now you guys have me obsessing over whether to get the Zeros or the X's, lol.
Old 07-04-11, 02:17 PM
llamont

Bikes: Trek 5900 and Specialized Hardrock Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just purchased a pair of Crank Brothers Candy 3 pedals for my road bike and I really like them. Before buying them, I did some research here on BF as well as picking the brain of my LBS owner. I'm not a racer so these pedals really work for me! Good luck with your decision and safe riding
Old 07-04-11, 02:35 PM
JimTjr

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez 56cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to Hijack, but reading this with interest, as I will be purchasing a bike, and it looks like most used bikes do not come with locking pedals. I don't understand one term used in this thread, "Float" and it being adjustable? Is there a thread where all the ergonomics of road cycling is discussed in this forum? Or a site where I could become more educated? I have the thread where I posted "First time post" also one titled "Need advice on this bike" which I would love to see more replies on one of them,, (the advice one)
I hope to learn allot on this forum! And become a valuable member to help later on!
Old 07-04-11, 02:37 PM
JimTjr

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez 56cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, I went with Look Keo 2 Max, white. There weren't any 105's, Speedplays or Times at stock.

But hey, they look good

hehe, they do look good on that bike, what is it? Specialized? Which model? I have been watching and considering a Specialized Secteur Sport,,,,
Old 07-04-11, 02:58 PM
DOOM_NX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimTjr
Not to Hijack, but reading this with interest, as I will be purchasing a bike, and it looks like most used bikes do not come with locking pedals. I don't understand one term used in this thread, "Float" and it being adjustable? Is there a thread where all the ergonomics of road cycling is discussed in this forum? Or a site where I could become more educated? I have the thread where I posted "First time post" also one titled "Need advice on this bike" which I would love to see more replies on one of them,, (the advice one)
I hope to learn allot on this forum! And become a valuable member to help later on!
Hello, JimTjr!

Welcome to bikeforums.net! I'm a newbie, too! These guys here are excellent at providing advice. I'm really pleased with the community. I bet you're gonna love it too!

There's nothing to hijack here! Feel free to use this thread as you may please. I made a choice finally, but even if I hadn't, there's nothing wrong for other members to stay on topic and ask for extra info.

Regarding your question, float is the amount of space that you are able to move your shoe laterally while clipped in. Zero float means your shoe is clipped in at a fixed position and it won't move around during the pedal stroke. Some degrees of float means that according to your unique characteristics, your foot will have some play from side to side. This often relieves any pain experienced at the knees due to zero float.

Keep lurking and google some terms, you'll find a huge amount of info on the subject. But you won't find the answer to the question: which pedal is best?

Originally Posted by JimTjr
hehe, they do look good on that bike, what is it? Specialized? Which model? I have been watching and considering a Specialized Secteur Sport,,,,
It is Specialized Secteur Elite Int. X3.

Triple crankset, Shimano Tiagra groupset. You may only have the Apex version over there. But you can't go wrong with either.
Old 07-04-11, 03:14 PM
BrainInAJar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RTDub
I absolutely love Time shoes, and use Crank Bros pedals. Purists scoff while I ride comfortably.
I don't know that I'd scoff so much, but I found myself clipping pedals far too often around tight corners with eggbeaters, and I don't trust them in a sprint either
Old 07-04-11, 03:22 PM
SVThis

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710, 2010 Scott CR! Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you made a good choice. I have the exact pedals on a white Scott CR1. I switched to Speed Play Light Actions and then switched back to the Looks. The Light Actions have pretty much unlimited float which I didn't particularily like. The Looks have more support with the wide platform and don't seem to rock side to side. I didn't think clipping in to the Speed Plays was any easier, if nothing else harder. Everbody has an opinion, that's why there are choices. I also use cleat covers which makes walking much easier and extends the life of the cleat.
Old 07-04-11, 03:31 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A week ago I'd barely heard of Speedplays; now you guys have me obsessing over whether to get the Zeros or the X's, lol.
If you're going to make the switch, go with Zeros.
Old 07-04-11, 03:33 PM
DOOM_NX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SVThis
I think you made a good choice. I have the exact pedals on a white Scott CR1. I switched to Speed Play Light Actions and then switched back to the Looks. The Light Actions have pretty much unlimited float which I didn't particularily like. The Looks have more support with the wide platform and don't seem to rock side to side. I didn't think clipping in to the Speed Plays was any easier, if nothing else harder. Everbody has an opinion, that's why there are choices. I also use cleat covers which makes walking much easier and extends the life of the cleat.
Hi! It's good to hear you like my choice.

I find the process of clipping in and out easy, too. It's more of a mental and coordination thing than physical. They unclip instantly.

I don't have cleat covers. When do you use them SVThis?
Old 07-04-11, 05:16 PM
Stratman351

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
If you're going to make the switch, go with Zeros.
I was pretty much leaning that way anyway, but what's the rationale?
Old 07-04-11, 05:47 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was pretty much leaning that way anyway, but what's the rationale?
More adjustability. With Zeros you can dial in exactly as much or as little float as you need.
Old 07-04-11, 06:04 PM
ankit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Following this thread since I am in a similar situation. What shoes did you end up going with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.