Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is cycling ruining your social life with the opposite sex?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is cycling ruining your social life with the opposite sex?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-11, 06:42 PM
SVThis

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710, 2010 Scott CR! Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The opposite sex is ruining my social life with my bike
Old 07-10-11, 06:56 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 909Rider
So... Much... Win.

Uhm a few points if I may.

1.)When I fall asleep, alone, around midnight, I get up at about 7 am. This is a decent hour in my eyes. I can make a protein shake and hit the asphalt. When I have company, and I eventually fall asleep 2-3am-ish, I sleep till 9 or 10. Guess what? I still wake up, have a protein shake, and the asphalt is still there. It is in fact hotter, probably 10-15 degrees hotter, and it does suck exponentially more for that. But every-time I hit that grade and my hip flexors ache, I realize WHY they ache, I push aside the ghey in my mind, and I make it to top with a ****ing smirk.

The only difference? I shower after I ride when I'm alone. I shower BEFORE and AFTER I ride on they days I'm not alone. Don't want to add yet another funk to the chamois.

2.) Women like shaved legs. Period. /Thread

3.) Most women (my future ex-wife Velo Gator who doesn't know I'm a lurker doesn't count) don't like men with big legs and small upper bodies. But they also don't like guys with built torso's and chicken legs. What women DO like (besides you to have a job) is for you to be proportionate. Its a hell of a lot easier to put on some mass upstairs than it is the legs. On your off day, hit the gym for a half hour, balance out your body. This brings me to point
3.5) ^ Hitting the gym is necessary for putting your back into it and throwing your partner around in the bedroom / taking charge.
3.75) Hitting the gym is also necessary for keeping the fear of god in your woman when / if you do decide to commit in a relationship. That, and making sure you leave a shovel and bag of rock salt in plain view.

Long story short..

YOUR NOT THAT COOL. YOUR NOT THAT IMPORTANT. Exercise some time management.

Signed,
Your Penis.
This is probably one of the most spot-on posts ever posted on BF.net. Congratulations, sir, and good luck with the upcoming wedding & subsequent divorce.
Old 07-10-11, 07:34 PM
ImChris

Bikes: Trek Madone, Araya commute

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaTom
This is probably one of the most spot-on posts ever posted on BF.net. Congratulations, sir, and good luck with the upcoming wedding & subsequent divorce.

I agree it was quite a good little list. Very spot on IMO. The only thing that bothered me was the incorrect use of 'your' in the end. I like the little tid-bit about Velo Gator, it made me chuckle.

.Chris
Old 07-10-11, 09:24 PM
cervelo4me

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by KiddSisko
Huh. I have a completely different self-image while wearing bike clothes. In fact, I often do my grocery shopping after a ride while still in spandex. Maybe it's your clothes. My suggestion is to wear a coordinated kit, preferably a pro team kit, and not just black shorts with a "funny" image jersey.
so the kit would save that awful look!lol we all wear a kit thats the issue

Old 07-11-11, 02:32 AM
909Rider

Bikes: specialized allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ImChris
I agree it was quite a good little list. Very spot on IMO. The only thing that bothered me was the incorrect use of 'your' in the end. I like the little tid-bit about Velo Gator, it made me chuckle.

.Chris
Sorry, I had been awake for about 22 hours and had just finished a ride when that was written.

Teh Gramer is the sux when I'm tired.
Old 07-11-11, 02:56 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
It is true that as you get fitter for cycling, you don't exactly transform yourself into the ideal manly and hunk-ish physique women crave. More like a cross between a cancer patient and a POW.

I like it.
Old 07-11-11, 05:42 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aprevo15
LOL at shaved legs. I thought many of you were joking about this but I realize most of you really do shave your legs. Maybe I should shave my legs so I can go faster.
I don't really think it will make you faster, it is all about cycling fashion.
Old 07-11-11, 05:45 AM
v70cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YokeyDokey
Hey, I just realized, I have a recent experience that is rich, relevent and current. At least in my mind it is...
Last month I was dating a woman who soon revealed herself to be very self-absorbed. When I would talk about planning or preparing for a long ride, she would criticize and ridicule me. "Why do you want to do that?" "It's not good for you." etc etc... Soon I realized that her negative feedback had no basis in genuine concern for me, it was born out of her self-absorption. My riding didn't serve her. So you know what? I dumped her like a bag of dirt. I'm now dating a woman who is herself a devotee of personal training and fitness. At 56, she has a hard sexy body any 25 year old would admire. And when I discuss my riding, she asks questions, engages, compliments and encourages me. Now, given my history with women, the relationship won't last long, but it won't be because she discourages my physical activity. There, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I think that after a while our stories about cycling gets old and if your girl friend acts interested I would not trust her.
Old 07-11-11, 05:50 AM
v70cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Bain
The bike always comes first, I've broken that rule to many times.
A balanced approach to life is key. I did not ride at all last weekend since we went to a wedding, this weekend I road both days, though Saturday was a short ride and we had time to go to the beach. Cycling is fun and a important part of my life but it will never rule my life.
Old 07-11-11, 07:41 PM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 909Rider
So... Much... Win.

Uhm a few points if I may.
3.) Most women (my future ex-wife Velo Gator who doesn't know I'm a lurker doesn't count) don't like men with big legs and small upper bodies.
love it
Old 07-11-11, 07:54 PM
Agave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Opposite sex.......yeah.....but I've hooked up with a lot of really hot guys though.
Old 07-11-11, 08:59 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
6 months ago I used to be a 145 lb lump of fat playing Call of Duty till 3 in the morning. Now I am 120 lbs and actually go outside and talk to people. I think cycling has improved my chances of getting a girlfriend.