Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What happened to make you finally wear a helmet?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What happened to make you finally wear a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-13, 01:14 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
When I started riding helmets weren't really effective, Bell Bikers aside. Most riders used hairnets ("keeps your hair in place when you die" etc). I rode regularly without a helmet for a few "serious" years, a couple years before I started racing then 3 years of racing. I even joked that I had a "kevlar helmet" (a faded yellow Campy cap looks like the then new fangled kevlar/aramid fabric). In races I had to wear a helmet but the Brancale Giro helmet I had was just a fragile plastic shell, some straps, and some strips of padding so the plastic didn't sit on your head. I cut extra vents in the thing. A friend lightly banged his similar helmet on a fence post and the helmet shattered. They were no better than a hairnet except they would slide a bit easier on pavement. I don't think I ever fell on that helmet.

I fell a number of times with just a cap or nothing on my head. I wish I had this one crash on tape because it was a doozy. I've never crashed like this again.
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...rash-ever.html

After a few years of racing the then USCF passed a rule about mandatory minimum-level helmets in races. I bought a helmet and wore it somewhat sporadically in training, always in racing. I wanted a lighter, more ventilated helmet. At some point I found out that the folks that made my helmet cheated the tests - they tested one helmet but sold a slightly different one. My actual helmet wouldn't have passed the test. I didn't want to use their helmet (and I'd have to wait for a replacement) so (and this is the answer to the thread topic) I asked my mom to buy me a helmet (I was still a dependent) and I promised her that if she bought me the ventilated/lightweight helmet I'd wear it every time I rode.

She did and I almost did. There were two rides where I didn't wear a helmet after she bought me that helmet in I think it was 1986 or 1987. I honestly can't remember the years of the two rides. 1992 or 1993 or something like that - at that point I was on my own, owned my own house, etc.

I have a stack of helmets that sacrificed their structural integrity to help save my noggin. Now I put my helmet on and strap it to my head before I roll down the driveway. A very few times, after hot races, I've rolled along on the bike with my helmet hanging on my bars, next to someone walking (usually the Missus).
Old 01-08-13, 03:04 AM
Ice41000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rode without for years (off road, in the 1990-ties), crashed a lot and still rode without. I honestly don't remember what made me change my mind, probably hard crash and hitting my head (in a race, with a helmet and seeing how bad helmet was scratched) and I use them since.
Old 01-08-13, 06:55 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tom Boonen rides with one.
Old 01-08-13, 07:36 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Since I started riding again in 2007, reason, club required it. At first I was a little hesitant but after getting immersed into the culture I've come to accept and encourage wearing them. In my area I have seen a grand total of 5 riders without a helmet.
Old 01-08-13, 07:39 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It's just habit, and makes it easier for people at work to recognize me.
Old 01-08-13, 07:40 AM
bobones

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Back in my youth, no one wore helmets and when I fell off back then I didn't crack my head on the ground, which was just pure luck. Now everyone wears them, and in 3 recent spills I've bashed my helmet hard on the ground twice, my helmet no doubt saving me from a nasty injury or worse. Wouldn't consider not wearing one now. Actually, for my next crash, I plan to try to land on my helmet as it's much less painful than landing on the shoulder, hips or ribs.
Old 01-08-13, 07:56 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Before I started riding, I witnessed a crash where a truck pulled out from a driveway in front of a roadie (with helmet) and the cyclist hit the driver's door broadside at full speed. His head was instantly through the driver's window, and obviously there was severe impact all around as the bike stopped instantly.

He was lucky he hit the window. If he had been one foot further forward or back, he would have struck the door post, and I would guess his injuries would have been more severe.

I will never forget the sound of that impact.
Old 01-08-13, 08:01 AM
plpete

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wore one from day 1. Had a pretty major crash recently. Road rash on hip and elbow despite wearing layers of clothes. Side of my head slammed against the road quite hard cracking the helmet. I'm quite sure I might have not survived it without it. Plus, all pros wear one!
Old 01-08-13, 08:14 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I've always worn a helmet. I've only needed it once. This past year I got broadsided by a car. There was a nice crack on my helmet where my skull would have been. My story has inspired others I know to start wearing a helmet.
Old 01-08-13, 08:24 AM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found one that actually fit my head properly.
Old 01-08-13, 08:28 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
When I started riding helmets weren't really effective, Bell Bikers aside. ...

then USCF passed a rule about mandatory minimum-level helmets in races.

This. USCF requirement for helmets led to better helmets, lighter, cooler, and more effective. It also changed the culture because now the fast guys wore helmets flipping the "Fred" effect.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-08-13, 08:35 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Funny that a helmet thread should pop up this morning. I have always been a helmet guy, but this morning proved in spades why.

After several rounds of snow over the past month, the plows have left in their wake a lot of sand that gets pushed to the side of the road. I consider myself one of the most careful cyclists out there, but this morning was a confluence of events I did not prepare for.

Coming off of a stop for a light, I was going about 15 and turning left. My rig had new slicks that had only about 50 miles on them, and the ride was sweet. I decided to take a departure from my heavy gloves this morning as the weather was unusually mild. The Wombat glove has the tuck in mitten on the back of the hand. Having used these before, I knew they can get caught in the lever if not careful.

This time, as I turned left, I hit some sand on the new slicks, I began going down and the right mitt got stuck. Instinctively I pulled up to get it out, which about doubled the gravity in my little slow-motion world. The helmet cracked all to hell, road rash on the left side, fat lip and sore left arm. My first concern was concussion, my second was expensive dental work I just finished paying off, and the third was which side did I go down on?

A kind stranger in a pickup stopped and made sure I was ok before giving me a ride back to my neighborhood. I am going in this afternoon to have my head looked at. Can't be too careful after cracking a helmet.

I am a fan of the helmet. Sad that I am off the bike for at least a month, but glad it is not longer. I will spare you the gluteal raspberry imagery. It is the size of Canada. Tore my best bib tights.

Last edited by RT; 01-08-13 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-08-13, 08:39 AM
drjay9051

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What happened to make me wear a helmet??
Nothing. I wear a helmet to keep it that way.
Old 01-08-13, 09:30 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
When I got a bike.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-08-13, 09:38 AM
WingSuit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when my hair fell out I didn't want people to see my bald spot. which is a really long time ago. weirdly, a couple years ago I got ready for a warm weather ride and put my sun cap on, which i wear under my helmet. I must have gotten distracted by a bright shiny object, because I never put my helmet on. but feeling that skull cap fooled me into thinking I had the ol' Giro on. and off I went to ride. that day, not one but two vans backed out of driveways in front of me on fast descents, and I narrowly missed t-boning both of them. I never even realized I wasn't wearing a helmet til I went to take it off and only the skull cap was there. I guess that's why I was getting a lot of crazy looks, riding around looking like a pirate.
Old 01-08-13, 10:01 AM
danvuquoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started wearing my helmet this year actually -- my front tire twisted out of the bead in a corner at ~20mph, and got caught on the brake pad and sent me flying over my bars, luckily i fell on my shoulder and ass. If I fell on my head, that would have sucked, really bad.
Old 01-08-13, 10:05 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Curiously, I fell this year. I landed on my chin and had concussion. I was wearing a helmet.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-08-13, 10:10 AM
Smiziley
hmm..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I ride in the areas surrounding my city, drivers are hostile to any cyclist, it seems moreso to one who isn't wearing a helmet. We're getting the 2015 UCI World Championships and the surrounding counties are an infrastructure joke with a 1970s driving mentality.
Old 01-08-13, 10:27 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I started rock climbing. Unlike when I'm riding a bike, I have to be concerned about rocks coming down from above. Almost totally unpredictable, and it can happen at a time when you can't move as far out of the way as you'd like.
Old 01-08-13, 10:45 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For about 15 years I rode all over the place without a helmet or a light at night or anything else besides me and my bike. Never bumped my head once. Then while going to college I got a summer job in the ER and saw a lot of head trauma even with helmets. Got married had kids got more responsible and now I figure why not it doesn't hurt to wear one and maybe it will save me at some point. However, in over 50 years of riding a bike I have never hit my head once (knock on wood).

2013 Noah RS
Old 01-08-13, 10:55 AM
TheOtherBob

Bikes: 2012 CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't wear one in college, but I always do now. What I think actually made the difference was that now I have a place to put a helmet -- in college, the problem was that if you wore a helmet, you then had to CARRY the helmet for the rest of the day. Between a full backpack of books, supplies, and all the other stuff that you lug around in school, I was already full. And anything you left on your bike, well, expect to buy a new one. When I took up biking again ten years later, I could just leave the helmet in my office -- so I didn't mind wearing one.

There's probably a simple way I could have locked my helmet to my bike -- you could probably do it with one of those little accessory cables. But at the time, I just didn't bother.
Old 01-08-13, 11:27 AM
Pug
High Modulus

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
Tom Boonen rides with one.
Marianne Vos rides with one, too.
Old 01-08-13, 01:08 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
OP, welcome to BF. I'm going to nominate you for the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction awards....monumentally, but you survived to write about it? G-forces? How much G forces do you think a bike generates short of crashing into an immovable object? Black walnut balls on the ground? Uphill curve? Nipples ripping off? Pow and boom? Holy batman and robin......stop, stop, I can't read it any more....

Last edited by mpath; 01-08-13 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-08-13, 01:32 PM
jerrycan42

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When they started making them out of something other than leather.
Old 01-08-13, 03:16 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by WingSuit
when my hair fell out I didn't want people to see my bald spot. which is a really long time ago. weirdly, a couple years ago I got ready for a warm weather ride and put my sun cap on, which i wear under my helmet. I must have gotten distracted by a bright shiny object, because I never put my helmet on. but feeling that skull cap fooled me into thinking I had the ol' Giro on. and off I went to ride. that day, not one but two vans backed out of driveways in front of me on fast descents, and I narrowly missed t-boning both of them. I never even realized I wasn't wearing a helmet til I went to take it off and only the skull cap was there. I guess that's why I was getting a lot of crazy looks, riding around looking like a pirate.
I've put on my usual bandana which is sunburn protection for my balding pate, but forgot about the helmet. I've gone around two miles before realising, and have turned around to go back to retrieve it. Because of that law thing, I was lucky not have to been booked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.