Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Random Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-15, 03:28 PM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I've had issues with asthma and bronchitis since I was a kid. Exercising in cold air seems to trigger bronchitis in my lungs at some point almost every year.
As far as i understand, the reason for this is that exercising in cold air can cause bronchospasm and increased mucus production in the lungs. Just what germs love - small damp places! This happens a lot more quickly, and in only mildy cold weather for asthmatics, for whom it is recommended that they concentrate on nose-breathing so that the air has a chance to warm up before it hits the lungs. Not too sure how easy nose-breathing would be on a hard effort, but maybe worth a go given your predisposition
Old 01-28-15, 03:34 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
As far as i understand, the reason for this is that exercising in cold air can cause bronchospasm and increased mucus production in the lungs. Just what germs love - small damp places! This happens a lot more quickly, and in only mildy cold weather for asthmatics, for whom it is recommended that they concentrate on nose-breathing so that the air has a chance to warm up before it hits the lungs. Not too sure how easy nose-breathing would be on a hard effort, but maybe worth a go given your predisposition
!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for explaining that to me! It also happened when I went to Portland once and the weather weather was similar (40F / 5C).

Thanks!
Old 01-28-15, 04:05 PM
Velocirapture

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for explaining that to me! It also happened when I went to Portland once and the weather weather was similar (40F / 5C).

Thanks!
Old 03-19-15, 07:20 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
There is 4-6 inches of snow expected in NYC on Friday. Sunday is opening day at Kissena and I'm preregistered. Anyone ever consider racing on the track using cyclocross tires? It could be a new winter sport.
Old 03-19-15, 08:50 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
There is 4-6 inches of snow expected in NYC on Friday. Sunday is opening day at Kissena and I'm preregistered. Anyone ever consider racing on the track using cyclocross tires? It could be a new winter sport.
I have, but I did it not on 'cross tires, but on road tires that I studded with small screws!
Old 03-26-15, 09:07 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm looking to fly down to dick lane in atlanta for some racing in early may. What are the good airlines to use down to there from new york? I usually look to jet blue or virgin for cheap bike travel rates, but they don't seem to fly that way.
Old 03-26-15, 10:31 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by MarkWW
I'm looking to fly down to dick lane in atlanta for some racing in early may. What are the good airlines to use down to there from new york? I usually look to jet blue or virgin for cheap bike travel rates, but they don't seem to fly that way.
Well, Delta is based in Atlanta. Here is a list of airlines that have a presence at Hartsflield-Jackson Airport.

Look into:
- American Eagle
- Delta
- Southwest
- Frontier

Be wary of bike fees. Some airlines charge like $200 each way for a bicycle. There are lots of ways around this. My favorite is to ship my bike via FedEx ahead of time and after the event for around $75 each way. That takes a little coordination. But at least I don't have to deal with it as I travel and TSA doesn't dig through it mucking up the packing placement of things.

Sometimes you can ship to and from your hotel directly.
Old 03-26-15, 10:55 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frontier has good bike policies.
I booked a flight to Indy a couple years ago through Frontier, but it was on an American Airlines plane. I ended up checking in at American, the person at the gate charged me my Frontier rate of like $75 each way for the bike- and told me that if I was on the same flight but booked through American the bike would of been $200 each way.
Old 03-27-15, 04:23 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Wow you guys get gouged!

In the past it was $10 each way for the bike and not touching baggage allowance... Now they have clamped down and the weight is deducted from the baggage allowance, or if need be charge $30 each way for an extra bag.
Old 03-27-15, 08:42 AM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bikes flight to T-Town cost more than mine a couple years back... On USAir
Old 03-27-15, 09:44 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Never fly USAir with a bike.
Old 03-27-15, 04:28 PM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@dunderhi
Do you know if all of the snow is melted at Ttown now? I know last week it was getting there, then it snowed again this past Friday. Looking to get out there Tues or Wed.
Old 03-27-15, 06:14 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jared.
@dunderhi
Do you know if all of the snow is melted at Ttown now? I know last week it was getting there, then it snowed again this past Friday. Looking to get out there Tues or Wed.
I haven't been to T-town this year, but on their Facebook page it shows there was snow only on turn one on Tuesday. It's been a mild week, so I would expect it to be okay by now.
Old 04-04-15, 02:13 PM
carleton
Elitist

My number for the season:

Old 04-04-15, 02:36 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Make sure you're putting that number right side up! Don't want to get DQ'd.
Old 04-13-15, 12:34 PM
garlic_rice

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I attended the "Intro to Track Racing" clinic at Kissena this past weekend and had a blast. I was a little worried about riding clipless on a track bike at first since I hadn't ridden fixed in years, but that disappeared right after the first lap (I guess it's like, uh, riding a bike? ). I'm definitely going back for more. That's all.
Old 04-13-15, 09:19 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by taras0000
Make sure you're putting that number right side up! Don't want to get DQ'd.
Hahaha!

I'm going to write under it "heh heh heh"

Originally Posted by garlic_rice
I attended the "Intro to Track Racing" clinic at Kissena this past weekend and had a blast. I was a little worried about riding clipless on a track bike at first since I hadn't ridden fixed in years, but that disappeared right after the first lap (I guess it's like, uh, riding a bike? ). I'm definitely going back for more. That's all.
Awesome. Welcome...or welcome back!
Old 04-21-15, 02:51 AM
Velocirapture

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having upgraded from an ancient Polar computer (with recording intervals of 5s...) to a Garmin 500, i've also moved from the old polar analysis software to Golden Cheetah. Many/ most of you probably already know how good Golden Cheetah is. For those who haven't tried it, if you are a data nerd, it is AWESOME. (And thats from someone who doesn't even have a power meter.. )
Old 04-21-15, 04:38 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Velocirapture
Having upgraded from an ancient Polar computer (with recording intervals of 5s...) to a Garmin 500, i've also moved from the old polar analysis software to Golden Cheetah. Many/ most of you probably already know how good Golden Cheetah is. For those who haven't tried it, if you are a data nerd, it is AWESOME. (And thats from someone who doesn't even have a power meter.. )

5s recording interval?! Whoa. I didn't know that that was even an option for some computers. The largest I'd heard of until now is 2s.

Remember to turn off GPS before your workouts. Sometimes, if it can't find your on-bike sensors, it will start using GPS which can be wonky when riding the track. Turn it off and it will force it to keep looking for the bike sensors.
Old 04-21-15, 07:26 AM
Velocirapture

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5s recording interval?! Whoa. I didn't know that that was even an option for some computers. The largest I'd heard of until now is 2s.

Remember to turn off GPS before your workouts. Sometimes, if it can't find your on-bike sensors, it will start using GPS which can be wonky when riding the track. Turn it off and it will force it to keep looking for the bike sensors.
Thanks - good tip

5s was the fastest setting; it even has a 40s-intervals setting.. Polar S725X - Polar (in SA) doesn't even have parts for it anymore.
Old 04-21-15, 08:40 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkWW
I recall Amtrak has an overnight NYC to Atlanta but I do not know if they allow bikes.
Old 04-21-15, 06:25 PM
Muddlfuc

Bikes: BMC RM01, Focus Izarco, Inexa track, KHS SS MTB

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5s intervals ouch... that would miss most of the data,
i was having issues with my Garmin not picking up speeds over 45 on the track, it would cut the corner.. till i worked out that i have to turn off the GPS. (I'm guessing thats the solution)

Does any one have any tips on weight distribution over the wheels when sprinting?
i find that i keep flicking out either my back wheel, or scarier the front.
Old 04-21-15, 07:21 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Muddlfuc
Does any one have any tips on weight distribution over the wheels when sprinting?
i find that i keep flicking out either my back wheel, or scarier the front.
The last time I had that problem I was riding a 57cm top tube. Now I ride a 61cm

That being said, it could be a number of things. It could be your components (stem + bar combo), your form, and/or frame size relative to your body.

How long is your head tube, what bars, and what stem dimensions do you use?

A pic of you on the bike on a sprint tuck could rule out bike fit. Actually riding, leaned against a wall, locked into a mag trainer, doesn't matter.

Maybe get someone to record a cell phone video of you doing sprint jumps in a training session and have a look yourself to see if you are doing something wonky like leaning way forward over the front wheel.
Old 04-21-15, 08:46 PM
Muddlfuc

Bikes: BMC RM01, Focus Izarco, Inexa track, KHS SS MTB

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interesting. i will try and get some footage on Saturday. i usually take a go pro down to the track
Form could have a lot to do with it, as well as track skills.

as for dimensions i ride a 54cm top tube and am 172cm tall (not that it means much)
not sure about the head tube dimensions
i am running a 120mm Thomson stem +10 (not seen in the photo)
PRO VIBE carbon 40cm track bars
Old 04-22-15, 07:18 AM
myth001

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a good point. Thx.

I just received my new Garmin 810 (switching form using my phone as cyclometer). Are there any more such pointers that I should keep in mind when riding track vs. road? That'll really be helpful, and save me all the trial and errors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.