Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Computer with Candence

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle Computer with Candence

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-21, 01:19 PM
Kubotafan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
If that is all you are capable of, I guess. I would not enjoy riding like that though, and I venture many (most?) people who ride regularly feel the same.
What do you mean by, "If that is all you are capable of...."?
Old 05-24-21, 01:47 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Perhaps XOSS cyclo computer fills some lower cost market segment?
Old 05-24-21, 01:58 PM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
Perhaps XOSS cyclo computer fills some lower cost market segment?

That does seem like a good bet for a cheaper wireless setup with GPS (Glonass). Another sensor would be needed for speed.
I can't post a link (still too new here) but it's about $70 USD + shipping with one sensor, $90+ with two.
Old 05-24-21, 02:27 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
to clarify. when I said to "pedal slower", was not saying to push some massive gear slowly (or didn't mean that). Pedal slow in an easy gear
​​​​​​
If that is all you are capable of, I guess. I would not enjoy riding like that though, and I venture many (most?) people who ride regularly feel the same.
Likes For rebel1916:
Old 05-24-21, 02:28 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Kubotafan
What do you mean by, "If that is all you are capable of...."?
Sorry, I meant to reply to someone else. I fixed.
Old 05-24-21, 04:24 PM
vane171

Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker

That does seem like a good bet for a cheaper wireless setup with GPS (Glonass). Another sensor would be needed for speed.
I can't post a link (still too new here) but it's about $70 USD + shipping with one sensor, $90+ with two.
I bought it sometimes this winter, didn't start using it yet but looks like a solid product, didn't see any big complaints about it, some here on forum use it and like it.

Even though I normally buy on Canadian Amazon, I got this off the US side of it because they have pretty good deals on bundles which is cheaper than if you buy the components separately.
I got the bundle with one sensor and wrist HR monitor, bought second sensor separately along with a handlebar mount (for TT style bars).

BTW each sensor works for both speed or cadence which is not too clear from the description. You switch the mode by removing the battery & re-inserting it, then if the indicator light is red, it is in speed mode, if blue, in cadence mode. About some three seconds after inserting the battery, it lights up on front just once for maybe a second, you only get this one chance, and have to mark it or mount it right away. The battery insertion toggles the function for each powering up.

For speed, you mount it on wheel hub, for cadence on pedal arm. The supply of rubber padding and stretchable rings seems plentiful, hopefully the rubber will keep but that can be always replaced with any rubber bands. Batteries are common CR2032, easily sourced. For speed, the manual says it should last 500 hours in speed mode, in cadence 300 hours, but manual inside says 320 hours for each mode. I suppose that's the time when its used in motion, probably there is some motion switch inside that switches on a signal each time it rotates.

Last edited by vane171; 05-24-21 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-24-21, 04:32 PM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by vane171
The supply of rubber padding and stretchable rings seems plentiful, hopefully the rubber will keep but that can be always replaced with any rubber bands.
Good info, thanks.
'O' rings from an auto supply store will be better than elastic bands, I think. I find that elastic bands seem to 'rot' pretty quickly.
Once I've gotten the sensor working (in the right spot) I've wrapped it with tape (electrical or silicone) or if possible (on the crank) put heat shrink over it.
I don't trust elastic bands!
Old 05-24-21, 06:43 PM
vane171

Right, also plumbing silicon rings that can be bought in a boxed set with bigger diameters would work well. I think those elastic rings that women use to hold hair together would also work and seem to have lasting power as I used them for other applications for some time

My rear hub has a sideways slope along the axle direction which I believe wouldn't affect the function but I plan to experiment attaching the sensor vertically on the spokes near the hub, right behind the cassette. I think if mounted vertical, I will have to set it to cadence to get speed reading right - I think the difference is only if its mounted vertically (as on pedal arm) or horizontally on wheel hub. So if mounted on spokes, it might need to be put into cadence 'blue' mode. But will have to see if my theory holds.

Also for cadence, the sensor can be mounted anywhere along the length of the pedal arm, left or right one (ie, not just near the pedal) or maybe even attached to the chain ring or the spider, space permitting.

Last edited by vane171; 05-24-21 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-25-21, 01:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The XOSS G+ is a best buy in a bare bones GPS wireless computer. It's very small, lightweight and runs for hours per charge, depending on whether the backlight is enabled. Sync the data to Strava later, or just use the XOSS app on your phone.

Add a wireless earth induction cadence/speed sensor for around $20-$30 from XOSS, Magene, Wahoo and many others. These are usually both Bluetooth and ANT+ compatible. I use mine simultaneously with the XOSS computer and my phone. The XOSS defaults to the ANT+ mode, and the phone is Bluetooth only. No problems.

Or just get a Bluetooth speed/cadence sensor, set it to cadence mode, and record your rides using Wahoo Fitness or other app. I like Wahoo Fitness because it's free, easy to use, reliable and low battery drain. I sync to Strava later. I did that for awhile back in 2016 or so but go tired of the heavy, bulky mount needed to use the phone on the bike. Now the phone stays in my pocket.

Incidentally, regarding buying the XOSS G+, I'd recommend buying from Amazon rather than directly from XOSS, or from any other global discounter. With Amazon you'll get the US version (assuming you're in the US), promptly, with easy return/exchange policies. XOSS has a reputation for being a bit tardy with shipping. And some buyers who bought their XOSS cheaper through Ali-whatever or other outlet received computers made for China or other markets, with displays they couldn't read, or the navigation was intended primarily for BeiDou rather than GPS.

The only caution I'd offer regarding the XOSS is all data goes through their servers in China. So, yeah, potentially it's a surveillance device. Don't use it if you're in the military, work in security or have any job that makes you a target for espionage. I don't *know* that XOSS is in cahoots with the Chinese government, but if you follow international news you already know the score. I'm retired and don't do anything interesting anymore so I don't care if China stores all my data for my countless rides around the same 20-30 mile loop dozens of times a year. But if I was still in the military or gummint, I wouldn't use it on my commutes.
Old 05-27-21, 07:47 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Also, ride a bike that fits you. My knees are fine on my outdoor bike but I not on the bike slaved to my smart trainer. It's my wife's bike and it's too small for me. If I ride long enough my knees hurt. I think it's because my knees are too far forward.
Old 05-27-21, 08:27 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Here is someone hacking in with unrelated info. Should be deleted.
Instead of quoting it, please report it.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 05-27-21, 10:12 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
This one was cheap and shows speed, distance, cadence, ave speed. Not GPS just basic and comes in either white or black. Amazon

Old 05-27-21, 10:52 AM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by cb400bill
I tried that but got a 'You are not allowed to post a URL' message. I don't see how spam reporting fits with the newbie restrictions, since reporting to the moderator team isn't 'posting'.
Old 05-27-21, 11:24 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
I tried that but got a 'You are not allowed to post a URL' message. I don't see how spam reporting fits with the newbie restrictions, since reporting to the moderator team isn't 'posting'.
Did you try to report it by clicking on the Red circle with ! (desktop) or the Triangle with ! (mobile)?

Old 05-27-21, 12:17 PM
VicBC_Biker

Did you try to report it by clicking on the Red circle with ! (desktop) or the Triangle with ! (mobile)?
Red circle- I'm using a desktop and that's the only 'Report' icon showing.
I can report your post, since it doesn't contain a link. The spam post was only a link and generated the error message.
Sorry for the diversion, OT..
Back to the regular program....
Old 05-27-21, 01:40 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

2 more posts for you and the issue will go away.

Old 05-27-21, 03:07 PM
Kubotafan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How????
Old 05-27-21, 03:22 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
How????
On the LEFT side of the post are some icons. Hit the RED one with the Exclamation Point. Then fill out the reason.
Old 05-27-21, 05:19 PM
Kubotafan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
On the LEFT side of the post are some icons. Hit the RED one with the Exclamation Point. Then fill out the reason.
Thanks. I see it now. It looks as if it has been deleted.
Likes For Kubotafan: