Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

They're not even trying to pretend anymore ...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

They're not even trying to pretend anymore ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-23, 04:51 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Maybe I missed it but 5 pages and I'm not sure any pics of the subject ebike have been posted. Seems cool to me!

Looks almost realistic, now add about 50 years to the ages of the riders.

Reminds me of when I bought a new car, a Toyota Scion. All of the marketing materials were geared towards young people, including a CD with videos, hip hop music, accessories such as a supercharger and decorative gear shift knob. After the sale was concluded, I asked the salesman: "So, all of your marketing is targeting 20-somethings. Who is actually buying these things?"

The salesman replied: "Old tightwads like you."

My only remaining question is how this is better than a gas scooter for under 1000 bucks:

https://www.amazon.com/DEALSNOW-Auto...V58/ref=sr_1_6
Old 08-14-23, 05:01 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
My only remaining question is how this is better than a gas scooter for under 1000 bucks:
That gas scooter is so heavily regulated it's essentially illegal everywhere in the U.S. Needs a driver's license, a license plate, and insurance.
The ebikes that are the subject of this thread don't need any of those things.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-14-23, 05:04 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
That gas scooter is so heavily regulated it's essentially illegal everywhere in the U.S. Needs a driver's license, a license plate, and insurance.
Hence also sometimes referred to as DUI-mobiles.

The proliferation of e-bikes (legal or illegal) under reckless teens in my local area apparently reflects a decision by many parents to give their teenage children e-bikes rather than to drive them to and from school and after-school activities. (Please note that "reckless" neither denotes nor connotes a homicidal tendency; I use this adjective to merely describe their lack of situational awareness and/or a disregard for their surroundings.)

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 08-14-23 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-14-23, 07:01 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
For me my local easy single track though the piny woods has been destroyed by high power e-bikes. Yep... Looks like its been used by motocross competitors. And it did not take long. In just a few days some young-uns tearing through made it that only a true dirt bike could make the trail. On the other hand, man, they had fun doing it!
As a hiker and trail runner, any trail being used by mountain bikes (even before ebikes) is more damaged than a pure hiking trail. Every hiker has a story about getting spooked by a mountain biker; seems like you don't need a motor to be an inconsiderate *******.

This may push the hiking community to try to ban all wheeled vehicles, electric or not, on trails. They won't make the distinction that we are making here, and there's little chance that the human-powered mountain biking community can form an alliance with the hiking community to ban ebikes because the relationship has been so antagonistic for so long.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 08-14-23, 07:07 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
How does the licensing requirement make them essentially illegal?
Likes For jon c.:
Old 08-14-23, 07:12 PM
bikelif3

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
As a hiker and trail runner, any trail being used by mountain bikes (even before ebikes) is more damaged than a pure hiking trail. Every hiker has a story about getting spooked by a mountain biker.
As a squirrel and trail habitant, any trail being used by a hiker or trail runner (even before mountain bikes and ebikes) is more damaged than a pure squirrel trail. Every squirrel has a story about getting spooked by a running hiker

Slow down, give each other space. You're not riding a time trial. That's why I love, and have been practicing my track stands....

OH...and if it's illegal for you to be on the trail, go ride on the streets. For electric powered gizmos in my area with a max speed of 20mph or more, you can't be on the trail. Doesn't matter how fast or slow you're going.

Last edited by bikelif3; 08-14-23 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-14-23, 08:17 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
As a hiker and trail runner, any trail being used by mountain bikes (even before ebikes) is more damaged than a pure hiking trail. Every hiker has a story about getting spooked by a mountain biker; seems like you don't need a motor to be an inconsiderate *******.

This may push the hiking community to try to ban all wheeled vehicles, electric or not, on trails. They won't make the distinction that we are making here, and there's little chance that the human-powered mountain biking community can form an alliance with the hiking community to ban ebikes because the relationship has been so antagonistic for so long.
As a hiker and only casual mountain biker, I tend to agree with you. Bikes and walkers often don't mix well. Most MTBers I meet while hiking are courteous enough, but there are blind corners and fast downhills that can cause problems. "Multi Use" often doesn't work in many situations.

That said, I'm familiar with some trails that were developed - all the hard work done - by a local mtb club and originally intended for MTB use. Public/municipal land was the problem. The decision makers were swayed by the walking community to make them multi use trails, which seriously degraded the MTB use. The point being, I don't think MTBers are any happier with multi use trails than the walkers. But with limited resources for trail development, it needs to work out as best it can.

As another point, I still don't understand why electric motors of any sort are OK on non-motorized trails. Non motorized is non motorized, period.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 08-14-23, 09:30 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
My brother has one, in another state. They were quite popular in my locale as well. Most people over 16 already have a driver's license and insurance, so I wouldn't call that "essentially illegal," but perhaps inaccessible to younger kids and the homeless. But the homeless can't manage an e-bike anyway due to the need for secure parking and charging. Or a scooter.

In my locale, the university decided that scooters should be parked in designated areas, and pay for parking permits. The scooters ceased to be convenient, and vanished. Most of the students went back to conventional bikes.
Old 08-15-23, 06:25 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo

As another point, I still don't understand why electric motors of any sort are OK on non-motorized trails. Non motorized is non motorized, period.
I think it depends on the power and speed. There is no noise or pollution to consider with a small electric motor. I don’t see any problem with a 250W speed limited pedal assist e-bike. On my local MTB trails I now see quite a few e-MTBs and they don’t cause any more or less issues than normal MTBs. They are not even faster unless climbing. Same goes for e-road bikes. But here in the UK, e-bikes are quite strictly regulated on power and speed. I’ve yet to see anything dangerous on road or trail.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-15-23, 07:18 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
I am neither a hiker or mountain biker. My sister and brother are both hikers and have done “treks” across many trails including the JMT . My sister and her husband had many uncomfortable encounters with mountain bikes around the San Luis Obispo area while they were hiking. Most of the time the younger college aged folks were apologetic and friendly after knocking them off the narrow trail on a blind corner . Depending on the trail , I think it COULD work but most hiking trails are not set up for multi-use. As far as electric assist , I think the same applies. I ride road bikes and stay away from MUP’s for the same reason , the interaction between walkers with strollers waking 3 abreast do not mix well with cyclists , whether ebike or not.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 08-15-23, 07:49 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I think it depends on the power and speed. There is no noise or pollution to consider with a small electric motor. I don’t see any problem with a 250W speed limited pedal assist e-bike. On my local MTB trails I now see quite a few e-MTBs and they don’t cause any more or less issues than normal MTBs. They are not even faster unless climbing. Same goes for e-road bikes. But here in the UK, e-bikes are quite strictly regulated on power and speed. I’ve yet to see anything dangerous on road or trail.
In one hilly area near here there are groups of young men on long travel, high power electric mountain bikes. They wear full face helmets and body armor and I have been warned to stay off the trails they descend on. I've chatted with a couple of them and they were friendly but stay out of their way. This is what concerns mountain bikers, that these guys are going to cost us hard earned trail access.

I know, guys on human powered bikes cause problems, too but this is just amplified.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-15-23, 08:06 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
What are the laws in your state with regard to helmets on eBikes? Here in Rhode Island motorcycle riders aren’t required to wear a helmet (passengers are). So I would assume that eBike riders aren’t required to wear one either. I haven’t looked it up, and don’t know if eBikes are even addressed in the traffic laws. But if the state requires helmets for motorcycles, I’d think that an eBike in the same lane of traffic would be to wear helmets.

Dan
Old 08-15-23, 08:12 AM
DaleDee
Pedalist

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
Yeah,

They put pedals on it so they can call it a bike, but I don't think the builders really expect anyone to use them on pedal power alone.
It used to be that mopeds were like mini motorcycles, they had a 49cc engine and pedals. I've been gone from the UK for a long time so I don't know if such things still exist. Here in the USA, scooters (having no pedals) are called mopeds. Americans don't seem to understand that scooters aren't mopeds.
Old 08-15-23, 08:15 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
In one hilly area near here there are groups of young men on long travel, high power electric mountain bikes. They wear full face helmets and body armor and I have been warned to stay off the trails they descend on. I've chatted with a couple of them and they were friendly but stay out of their way. This is what concerns mountain bikers, that these guys are going to cost us hard earned trail access.

I know, guys on human powered bikes cause problems, too but this is just amplified.
this is a concern and won’t be surprised if it reaches a tipping point
Likes For t2p:
Old 08-15-23, 08:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts

I presume these are hilly areas with no uplift system for regular DH MTBs? I doubt they will be using motor power on the descents (presuming they are suitably steep for DH riding). The motor on this type of DH MTB is to ride the bike back up to the top of the hill. But I could see how that could create a dangerous situation for other trail users if there were previously no DH bikes, simply because of the lack of an uplift facility ie a chairlift. Motorised DH MTBs effectively turn any steep hill into an instant “bike park”. I can see how that could cause potential problems. Regular unpowered DH riding is effectively limited to areas where you can shuttle your bike back to the top of the descent ie purpose designed courses.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-15-23, 08:38 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I presume these are hilly areas with no uplift system for regular DH MTBs? I doubt they will be using motor power on the descents (presuming they are suitably steep for DH riding). The motor on this type of DH MTB is to ride the bike back up to the top of the hill. But I could see how that could create a dangerous situation for other trail users if there were previously no DH bikes, simply because of the lack of an uplift facility ie a chairlift. Motorised DH MTBs effectively turn any steep hill into an instant “bike park”. I can see how that could cause potential problems. Regular unpowered DH riding is effectively limited to areas where you can shuttle your bike back to the top of the descent ie purpose designed courses.
flood the path making it muddy. Eventually those batteries will give up the ghost.
Old 08-15-23, 09:01 AM
john m flores 

This is another reason why bicyclists and e-bicyclists need to band together instead of bickering. If we don't collectively fight to retain trail access, we'll collectively lose it. Same with MUPs and bike infrastructure.

In the Venn diagram of mobility, there is a large overlap between the needs of bicyclists and e-bicyclists, and both in opposition to the needs of cars
​​
I​​​​nfighting does not help our collective cause.
​​

Originally Posted by Troul
flood the path making it muddy. Eventually those batteries will give up the ghost.
Please, no.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 08-15-23, 09:39 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
In the Tahoe Basin, where these took off early:

...From 2021:

E-bikes are surging in popularity. What does that mean for Tahoe mountain biking trails?

The U.S. Forest Service’s Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit allows certain classes of e-bikes on 25 of its 385 miles of trails. Under the management unit’s proposed plan, an additional 120 miles of new and existing trails would open to e-bikes, bringing the total number of e-bike accessible miles to 145, not counting dirt roads.

But Collins said the forest service is a little behind the ball and keeping e-bikes off non-designated trails will be a challenge.

“The train left the station a couple years ago. You have to get ahead of this,” he said. “They are making moves to accommodate e-bikes, but they are on trails everywhere right now. They don’t have a way to enforce it.

“I don’t think it will make much difference because people are using them now. But from a legal standpoint, it’s a great move forward.”
...Current status in 2023:

eBikes in the Lake Tahoe Basin

Motor Assisted Bicycles/eBikes: The Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit (LTBMU) has determined that motor assisted bicycles (electric, gas or diesel) are motorized vehicles. Use of motor assisted bicycles is only allowed on motorized trails. Please take a look at the LTBMU Motor Vehicle Use Maps for information on where motorized vehicles are allowed.

Electric bikes or ebikes are evolving with more power, less weight and in more configurations each year. New ebikes are closing the gap between electric bicycle and electric motorcycle. Current regulations restrict ebikes to the motorized trails shown on the Motor Vehicle Use Map above.

Regulations regarding consumer safety do not classify ebikes as motor vehicles. However Title 36 Part 212 Subpart A, defines a motor vehicle as such:

Motor Vehicle - Any vehicle which is self-propelled, other than:

(1) A vehicle operated on rails; and

(2) Any wheelchair or mobility device, including one that is battery-powered, that is designed solely for use by a mobility-impaired person for locomotion, and that is suitable for use in an indoor pedestrian area

Subpart B of this rule requires designation of motorized trails, those trails are shown on the Motor Vehicle Use Map (link above).
Old 08-15-23, 11:21 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
In other words the problem has been solved.

Dang, I was eager for the End of the World.
Old 08-15-23, 12:02 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
My big question was that most of our MUP trails say no motors of any kind . Caught up with a park ranger in a local park and ask . He said in this county only type 1 e-bikes are allowed , if it has a throttle so it can move without peddling it's not allowed on the trails.
I wonder if power wheelchairs are banned on MUPs, too...

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 08-15-23, 12:08 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
This is another reason why bicyclists and e-bicyclists need to band together instead of bickering. If we don't collectively fight to retain trail access, we'll collectively lose it. Same with MUPs and bike infrastructure.

In the Venn diagram of mobility, there is a large overlap between the needs of bicyclists and e-bicyclists, and both in opposition to the needs of cars
​​
I​​​​nfighting does not help our collective cause.
I agree 100 percent. Even differentiating "bicyclists" and "e-bicyclists" may in fact aggravate the infight. You're a guitarist whether you have an acoustic guitar or an eletric guitar, right?

It seems to me like those who respond negatively to e-bikes don't think about people who use e-bikes for transport and utility. Or people who otherwise wouldn't be able or willing to cycle for various reasons - medical, mental, whatever.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 08-15-23, 01:35 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by DaleDee
It used to be that mopeds were like mini motorcycles, they had a 49cc engine and pedals. I've been gone from the UK for a long time so I don't know if such things still exist. Here in the USA, scooters (having no pedals) are called mopeds. Americans don't seem to understand that scooters aren't mopeds.
Actually, in my experience, mopeds are often called just that. I never heard scooters called mopeds until I heard that expression in Wisconsin. Elsewhere, mopeds are called mopeds and scooters are called scooters. But, my sample size is very small and very old. I could be way off base, and I'm sure there's many places that call scooters mopeds.
Old 08-15-23, 02:01 PM
john m flores 

Originally Posted by Camilo
Actually, in my experience, mopeds are often called just that. I never heard scooters called mopeds until I heard that expression in Wisconsin. Elsewhere, mopeds are called mopeds and scooters are called scooters. But, my sample size is very small and very old. I could be way off base, and I'm sure there's many places that call scooters mopeds.
Outside of a very small group of collectors and enthusiasts, the only place where mopeds still exist are in peoples' nostalgic memories of the 70s ans 80s. I don't think anyone makes mopeds anymore, and, generally soeaking, vehicles with a step-through frame and floorboards are scooters. Everything else is a motorcycle, and it's the vehicle's engine size, not style that dictates registration and licensing requirements. I've ridden 650cc scooters 1000 miles to Florida averaging 70mph and 125cc motorcycles that couldn't hit 55mph.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 08-15-23, 02:13 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
I think it's safe to call anything with a motor a motorbike. Add the less important distinctions as desired. Electric/petrol, pedals/no pedals, floor/no floor, class this that or the other....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-15-23, 02:41 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I feel like I don't understand what you're trying to say. It's far more likely that e-mtb riders are going to get all bicycles banned from trails. I don't know how we are going to band together with people who tell others to stay out of the way on trails. The only good news is that a lot of off-road only ebikes are made to look more like motorcycles, and people will be able to differentiate.
Likes For unterhausen:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.