Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Zero Length Stem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-23, 07:29 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Zero Length Stem

I need a zero reach (length?) stem.
It's the one that lets the handlebar sit directly on top of the steering tube.
I know there are stems that have an adjustable angle but I don't want an additional moving part and they usually add 65-120mm of height and I don't need that.

I've tried several searches but I'm probably messing up the terminology.
Old 08-16-23, 07:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
You probably need a bike that fits, no? It seems like a stem that short would be less than ideal for steering and general bike handling. They do make sweptback bars if you need them.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-16-23, 07:48 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Yep, I believe you can't find them because they would make your bike dangerously difficult to handle. And if you're looking for that short of a stem, your frame is way too big/long.
Old 08-16-23, 07:57 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
What kind of bars are you doing this with? Drop/MTB/alt?

The only setup I know of that goes right on top of the steerer tube is a BMX bar, but it has massive rise.

There was/is a really short reach MTB bar/stem combo wherein the bar actually had an indent so that it could kinda wrap around the steerer tube so to speak.

If MTB and you want to get your hands back some there are several swept bars to choose from if you think you'd be OK with some sweep.

For instance, the Soma Osprey bar has only 12mm rise and gets your hands back quite a bit

Old 08-16-23, 08:17 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
I still can't remember what the system with the indented bar is, but I found a super short stem. 1-1/8" steerer clamp

ONOFF Stoic in 10mm and 20mm lengths. I looked a couple of places and they say out of stock though.

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 08-16-23, 08:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
If you find one, post the video of the crash on YouTube.
Old 08-16-23, 08:32 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I still can't remember what the system with the indented bar is, but I found a super short stem. 1-1/8" steerer clamp

ONOFF Stoic in 10mm and 20mm lengths. I looked a couple of places and they say out of stock though.

Pretty damn close.
Still hard to get ahold of.

I appreciate a real answer.
Unlike the rest of these knucklleheads....
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 08-16-23, 08:40 PM
Johnny Alien
I drank the Kool-Aid!

Bikes: Rivendell Roadini, Rivendell Charlie Gallop Protovelo, Rivendell Clem L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
It will handle differently but won't be problematic. You might prefer it. I have seen people try out stems reversed and coming back toward them. The report was that shockingly it didn't ride weird.

Analog Cycles sells some but they aren't cheap.

Last edited by Johnny Alien; 08-20-23 at 06:33 PM.
Likes For Johnny Alien:
Old 08-16-23, 08:46 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Originally Posted by Johnny Alien
It will handle differently but won't be problematic. You might prefer it. I have seen people try out stems reversed and coming back toward them. The report was that shockingly it didn't ride weid.

Analog Cycles sells some but they aren't cheap.
Yeah, 35mm stems are everywhere and cheap.
One company is charging $170 for a 0mm length and they're still always sold out.
Old 08-16-23, 08:49 PM
trashbiker

Bikes: Lemond Zurich Record 10spd, Klein Quantum Race r7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Yep, I believe you can't find them because they would make your bike dangerously difficult to handle. And if you're looking for that short of a stem, your frame is way too big/long.
Why would it be difficult to handle? I tried doing some reading and found there are "negative" lengths stems being used in dh racing so my understanding of how steering works on a bike is in peices right now.
Old 08-16-23, 09:08 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by trashbiker
Why would it be difficult to handle? I tried doing some reading and found there are "negative" lengths stems being used in dh racing so my understanding of how steering works on a bike is in peices right now.
Apparently my understanding is outdated and inaccurate as well. I had read that it would be way too twitchy and had something to do with where your hands are placed relative to the pivot point. But people here are saying they’ve seen it done with no problems, and I can’t say I’ve ever seen it don’t WITH problems. Fork rake, trail, and head tube angle may play a factor, but that’s definitely beyond my understanding.
Old 08-16-23, 09:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
An easy fix. It will require finding the right framebuilder, waiting and paying but there is nothing inherently difficult about making such a stem in TIG welded steel or ti. (Well, ti takes skill, care and equipment so that rules out most framebuilders. TIG welding will rule out some more but open the door for those outside the bike world.)

TiCycles has made me three stems; two in steel and one in ti. Granted they are all traditional (sorta); 175mm -22, 155 - 27 and an "ordinary" 130 -17 in ti. First two are quill, last threadless.

Edit: The mild understatement of the day. Dave Levy of TiCycles enjoys challenges. I'm betting he will question you closely as to whether you really know you want this but if you can sell him on it, he'll make it and get right.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 08-16-23 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-16-23, 09:26 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
I've got a bicycle with a really short stem (30mm, IIRC) holding a pair of flat bars and don't have a problem with steering he bike. I always thought front end 'twitchiness' came from the fork angle and any 'sweep' angle/fork leg curve (is that the right erm?) at the bottom of the forks that put the wheel farther forward (the 'sweep' or curve also helps dampen the road buzz a little bit).
Old 08-16-23, 09:31 PM
CrimsonEclipse

A bit of information on the "twitchiness"

https://www.cyclingabout.com/steerin...teering-speed/
Old 08-16-23, 09:31 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,841 Times in 2,232 Posts
Why will it affect the handling? If the frame was designed for that set-up, it won't. If the frame was designed for a conventional stem, one could still ride the bike, but handling is very likely suboptimal. Without more basics, like which bar will be used, no one can answer the question.

As to looking for an unusual (unique?) part produced by only one company that is constantly OOS - we call that vaporware, not unsatisfied market demand.

I can sell you "the World's most ventilated and comfortable saddle" that was never produced beyond prototype (to my knowledge). Unless I threw it in the garbage.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-16-23 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-16-23, 09:53 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
When the kids were little I put Crupi 0 reach stems on their Specialized Hotrock BMX bikes. They rode the bikes all over and there were no issues.
Old 08-16-23, 10:33 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
All of my bikes have conventional frames and forks (salvaged old road bikes, and one new-ish hybrid), fairly short stems, and swept bars, meaning that my hands are behind the steering axis, by as much as a couple of inches. I find it to be perfectly stable. Also, every old roadster was built that way. Many of the earlier Raleigh Sports bikes had exceptionally short stems. But in terms of maintaining normal maneuverability and control of my bike without much effort, the swept bars are just fine. I use them for commuting, city traffic, recreational rides in the countryside, etc.

Now, I offer my comments while acknowledging that the people who are engaged in more sportive riding tend to settle on their preferences for good reasons. So I'm not contradicting their advice. One thing I can think about, just based on the physics, is that with a more cozy cockpit, your contact points will be closer to your center of gravity, making it easier to go over the bars under conditions such as heavy braking or hitting a bump on a steep descent. My bikes are controllable in terms of steering, but in terms of staying on the bike under adverse conditions, you probably want a more stretched out posture.
Old 08-16-23, 11:20 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Reminded me of these integrated bar/stem setups:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mL3Hv90
Old 08-16-23, 11:35 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Apparently my understanding is outdated and inaccurate as well. I had read that it would be way too twitchy and had something to do with where your hands are placed relative to the pivot point. But people here are saying they’ve seen it done with no problems, and I can’t say I’ve ever seen it don’t WITH problems. Fork rake, trail, and head tube angle may play a factor, but that’s definitely beyond my understanding.
I put a super short stem on one of my kids bikes.
It was fine.

The primary thing that would affect handling would simply be how far your hands are from the steering axis, bar angle and how that effects each riders anatomy, and maybe where the weight ends up.

If having your hands perfectly in line with the steering axis made for an uncontrollable bike, thousands of BMXers would crash every day.
Wait, they do crash all the time… but I don’t know bar placement can be blamed.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-16-23, 11:54 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Analog Cycles has some 0 mm stems: Stems (analogcycles.com) The guy has issued a Fatwah vis a vis low trail and word is, it made Jan Heine cry: Debunking Low Trail (analogcycles.com)

Ergotec offers some interesting options (and yes, I know you don't want adjustable stems, there are some very short and/or fixed stems here): Products - Ergotec
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 08-17-23, 05:23 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz

The primary thing that would affect handling would simply be how far your hands are from the steering axis, bar angle and how that effects each riders anatomy, and maybe where the weight ends up.
Yeah, stem length in isolation is not very meaningful.

If you shorten the stem length on any given bike (using the same bars) then the steering gets quicker and heavier ie. Less movement at the end of the bar per degree of wheel steer. You also sit more upright on the bike. The opposite happens with a longer stem ie lighter, slower steering and longer reach.

But you can get the same changes in steering weight and speed by changing the width of your bars with the same stem length. Wider bars are slower, lighter steering.

So wide bars with a short stem can be equivalent in steering feel to narrow bars with a long stem. That’s one reason why my road bike has a relatively long stem with 420mm bars compared to my MTB with 760 mm bars.

So you always have to look at the bigger picture, including frame geometry. A zero length stem may or may not be appropriate depending on the other bike parameters ie. bar width/shape, frame reach, trail etc.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-17-23, 05:43 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
There's nothing inherently dangerous, or even "bad" about having your hand position in the same plane as, or even behind, the pivot point. Chances are that's the way it was on our kids bikes and that's what we learned on. Cruisers have them that way and so do other styles.

I have Albatross bars on one of my gravel bikes, which give you a hand position behind the pivot point. The front is of course where you have more control and where the brakes are, but the back is nice for an upright change of position, when the road gets easy and you want to relax and stretch. It definitely handles differently at the back, what's called "tiller" steering like on a beach cruiser, but certainly not dangerous or unstable.

Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 08-17-23, 05:57 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
I think it's already been said, but if you need that short of a stem then you probably have the wrong size frame for you.

I may have missed it but I don't think you shared what kind of bike it is or the kind of riding you do, but sometimes (for me at least) you really need to shift your weight forward and put some weight onto that front wheel. That's impossible if you move your hands back too far.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 08-17-23, 03:30 PM
CrimsonEclipse

I absolutely love the: "We're not going to answer your question so you need a whole new bike" response
Old 08-17-23, 03:57 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I absolutely love the: "We're not going to answer your question so you need a whole new bike" response
IMHO it is more you really did not fully explain why you need a zero length stem and how you plan on suing it i.e need, design, expectation. opening up the conversation to speculation.

so my speculation is you have a super secret prototype handle bar that is still in stealth development mode that requires that type of stem

Likes For squirtdad:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.