Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

ownership/service questions

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-17, 06:57 PM
sd2ftl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm about to "pull the trigger" on a NEW Bosch Mid-Drive ebike from out of state.
Other than performing routine maintenance, I'm tech. challenged.
I have NO local bike shops in my area that service ebikes.

My concerns are:
1. Have you had any issues after taking delivery on your ebike that required you to send it back?
2. Other than replacing the battery when the time comes, what service issues might I encounter ?
3. Any & all advice you could offer would be very helpful.

thx from South Florida
Old 02-26-17, 07:37 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had a controller go out on my Juiced Bikes Cross Current and a rear spoke pop. Both were fixed by my local dealer in one day. Outside of the drive system and electronics the rest of the bike can be serviced by any bike shop. The good thing about Bosch is that their mid-drives are very reliable.
Old 02-26-17, 07:57 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Bosch's reputation for quality speaks for itself and the small sample size of riders that I know haven't had trouble. That said, any problem with the motor will be excruciating since you'll need to send the bike to where you purchased it unless you have a local dealer, then they forward it to Bosch.
Old 02-27-17, 09:22 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Look around and see who actually has e-bikes in your area. I've found most bike shops just dont want to be bothered with anything with a battery on it. Sad that they take that attitude.

There is also a dealer locater for those who have had Bosch training. If you cant find it I'll dig around for you. Sometime I need to check that my name was added.

Under #2, I would keep a spare chain. Torque from the mid-drive can/will eat chains and sprockets. Make sure that chain is an e-bike chain and not just a typical bike chain.

-SP
Old 03-06-17, 12:28 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
I have a Bosch drill and dishwasher; I trust Bosch. However, I drove to a town/shop 30 miles away (the closest one) to make sure I could ride the few bikes I was considering. Try, if you have options. FIT is as important as with any bike, especially any expensive one. I found one that felt as good as my RockHopper, and that's what convinced me.

As for maintenance, I've taken mine to two regular shop for routine maintenance -only one stocks an e-bike (Specialized shop), but both have experienced-enough personnel. Some E-bike maintenance is more difficult, and can need more time, be more costly -removing a motorized rear hub, for instance. I worried about it when the shop I bought from went out of business not long after I got mine, but it actually hasn't been that big of an issue, and I'd probably be using the same shops anyway.
Old 03-06-17, 02:53 PM
TheNormanRider

Bikes: IZip E3 Path+, Specialized Diverge A1, GMC Denali, Roadmaster Quarry Ridge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Have you had any issues after taking delivery on your ebike that required you to send it back?

The brake control sensor malfunctioned on my e-bike during the early days of ownership. Took several trips back to the LBS where I'd purchased it from to get it sorted. What that meant was the motor would not engage because the bike thought the brakes were being applied, even though they were not. Wasn't fun to pedal 60+ pounds of bike and gear for the last few miles home.

2. Other than replacing the battery when the time comes, what service issues might I encounter ?

Just do your regular services, but maybe consider the very best in protection to avoid a flat tire. The motor is in the hub of the rear wheel on my ebike, so changing a flat tire or tube there, if severely torn, would be difficult to say the least.

3. Any & all advice you could offer would be very helpful.

Have fun with it. There are advantages (assist for the strong headwinds or going up hills) and disadvantages (heavy, can't really go quite as fast downhill as on a conventional bike) but go with what works for you. The ebike makes commuting every day a great experience for me.

thx from South Florida

Last edited by TheNormanRider; 03-06-17 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-07-17, 12:54 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Quality of the Bosch system speaks for itself, and over 26 different manufacturers use their system. Bosch has a page to find people who are qualified to work on your drive.

As mentioned before flat tires will probably be the worst thing to happen to you.

Mid drives are also hard on chains. DONT use just any chain. Make sure you have an ebike rated chain.

Enjoy your bike!

-SP