Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Adapt a non disc Topeak Explorer

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-23, 04:09 PM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts

Is there a good way to make a non disc Topeak Explorer rack fit, that doesn't involve stacking nuts and washers? I would really prefer to not have to buy another, virtually identical, rack.
Old 06-26-23, 07:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
So in the end you haven't provided much information so who knows. However what I do know is many modern bikes don't need the disc rack. If you need the offset then use spacers and longer stainless steel bolts but who knows.

What is not fitting or have you even tried? If you haven't tried, why not? What bike do you have, do you have pictures or any useful info you can provide?
Old 06-26-23, 07:31 PM
rebel1916

Originally Posted by veganbikes
So in the end you haven't provided much information so who knows. However what I do know is many modern bikes don't need the disc rack. If you need the offset then use spacers and longer stainless steel bolts but who knows.

What is not fitting or have you even tried? If you haven't tried, why not? What bike do you have, do you have pictures or any useful info you can provide?
Good lord.

Anyhow, yes I tried. The standard Explorer does not fit my Jari 1.5. Topeak makes a disk model. I want to know if anyone has adapted a standard model. As stated, I would like to not just use janky ass washers and nuts. If someone has come across this issue in the past, I would appreciate it if they could inform me of the dimensions of whatever parts they used.
Old 06-26-23, 08:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
Good lord.

Anyhow, yes I tried. The standard Explorer does not fit my Jari 1.5. Topeak makes a disk model. I want to know if anyone has adapted a standard model. As stated, I would like to not just use janky ass washers and nuts. If someone has come across this issue in the past, I would appreciate it if they could inform me of the dimensions of whatever parts they used.
Yeah good lord...you literally didn't provide any info and asked for help about a specific issue. You are getting closer telling us it is a Jari 1.5 but not year or any pictures or anything, so we could still be left guessing as if I recall they have made the Jari first in 2016 so 7 potential years of changes that could have happened.

In the end I would recommend using a spacer and a longer bolt. No "janky ass washers and nuts" just a longer spacer of the size you need (just cut it down and one single spacer) frequently used for fenders and racks all the time. Beyond that just get the correct rack you need for your bike.

Not trying to be difficult or nasty just being realistic.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-27-23, 01:14 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Good lord.

more info be needed. it's unpossible to answer the question without more specifics. posters that have macguyvered standard racks to disk frames are plentiful, with many many methods used.

give more than just year and model of your bike and rack. attach some detailed photos, otherwise posters will be commenting based on wee, tiny photos from websites.
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 06-27-23, 06:08 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I have adapted many racks to fit many bikes, and it's different every time. This is the point Veganbikes was making - There is no way to tell from a distance without specific information.
Likes For timdow:
Old 06-27-23, 07:02 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
As stated, I would like to not just use janky ass washers and nuts.
I'd suggest setting it up using "janky ass washers and nuts" first, then measure them to determine the size of spacer you need. You may find the rack needs to be bent a bit. That bend may be a bit of offset. That might minimize the spacer(s) needed. You may also find that it just doesn't fit to your saisfaction. You won't know until you try.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 06-27-23, 07:15 AM
rebel1916

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I'd suggest setting it up using "janky ass washers and nuts" first, then measure them to determine the size of spacer you need. You may find the rack needs to be bent a bit. That bend may be a bit of offset. That might minimize the spacer(s) needed. You may also find that it just doesn't fit to your saisfaction. You won't know until you try.
That's a good plan
Old 06-27-23, 11:36 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
That's a good plan
but do take some clear, well positioned photos if you really want some suggestions, as noted many of us have improvised stuff, but we aint mindreaders, so you've got to do your part to show what is going on.
As mentioned, this is just being realistic.
Likes For djb: