Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

It can happen to anyone ...foot plant fail

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-23, 09:05 AM
detroitjim

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 48 Posts

Can't tell if shes clipped in or not,I don't think so.

Been a while since it happened to me. I was clipped in. Stopped for a traffic signal . It was in slow motion.(Still can replay it in my mind today)
Driver behind me got out to check on me.
When I said I was OK , he exclaimed "That looked like a Benny Hill skit".

Doesn't hurt to be reminded. Lean left ,LEFT foot down! Lean right ,Right foot down!

https://www.itemfix.com/v?t=edy69l
Old 07-06-23, 09:18 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by detroitjim
Can't tell if shes clipped in or not,I don't think so.

Been a while since it happened to me. I was clipped in. Stopped for a traffic signal . It was in slow motion.(Still can replay it in my mind today)
Driver behind me got out to check on me.
When I said I was OK , he exclaimed "That looked like a Benny Hill skit".

Doesn't hurt to be reminded. Lean left ,LEFT foot down! Lean right ,Right foot down!

https://www.itemfix.com/v?t=edy69l
It looks like the woman in the video tried to put her foot down while still in the saddle. That's a common newbie error, but is never correct on a regular bicycle.

It might be true that "you never forget how to ride a bicycle", but people sure do forget how to mount and dismount one properly.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 07-06-23, 10:09 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
I don't think she forgot to unclip anything (I think she had normal pedals). It seems as though she planed to use her foot at the six o'clock position to plant on the ground as she came to a stop -- perhaps the ground was further down than she expect, plus on a slope, causing her to tumble.

I always use the foot at the 12 o'clock position to plant on the ground.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 07-06-23, 03:25 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Impossible to know whether she was clipped or not, but I strongly suspect she was. Wrong lean/wrong foot or not, people's reflexes are too good for this to happen unless she was restrained and couldn't correct fast enough.

This is classic for those first using clips & straps or clipless pedals. It rarely happens more than once, once the correct sequence - disengage pedal, commit to that side, plant foot when stopped - becomes second nature. Over the years I've seen every variation of this problem the most amusing of which is the new rider coming to a full stop with both feet still clipped.

The other variation that can happen even to experienced riders is to do everything right and be OK with one foot and the other clipped. Then, if the front wheel is turned toward the down foot, something causes the bike to roll, such that you're now off balance toward the clipped foot. Too late, to correct, and you're laying on the ground, hopefully laughing at your own clumsiness.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 07-06-23, 04:53 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
What I think I'm seeing is that there is a significant downslope on the right ride, and when her foot landed on that side, she was past the tipping point.

I've had that happen to me while MTB'ing. I stalled out (tire spin on loose dirt) at the top of a very steep pop-up section, got caught with my weight going the wrong way, my right foot landed on the soft edge of the trail, the dirt gave way, and I tumbled. Thankfully, there was shrubbery to stop me from rolling, and my body was there to give my bike a soft place to land. Also thankfully, no one was recording video. However, I had friends there to laugh at me...and help get my fat ass out of the bushes.
Old 07-06-23, 07:47 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I don't think she forgot to unclip anything (I think she had normal pedals). It seems as though she planed to use her foot at the six o'clock position to plant on the ground as she came to a stop -- perhaps the ground was further down than she expect, plus on a slope, causing her to tumble.

She was on the edge of the pavement and the ground where she was trying to plant her foot was substantially below the level of the pavement. I could easily see that happening, especially if you didn't realize you were going to need to stop until the last second. I've come close to doing that with much less of a drop off.
Old 07-06-23, 07:57 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
What I think I'm seeing is that there is a significant downslope on the right ride, and when her foot landed on that side, she was past the tipping point.

I've had that happen to me while MTB'ing. I stalled out (tire spin on loose dirt) at the top of a very steep pop-up section, got caught with my weight going the wrong way, my right foot landed on the soft edge of the trail, the dirt gave way, and I tumbled. Thankfully, there was shrubbery to stop me from rolling, and my body was there to give my bike a soft place to land. Also thankfully, no one was recording video. However, I had friends there to laugh at me...and help get my fat ass out of the bushes.
I'll bet in the future she gets off the saddle before stopping. I agree that it appears the ground sloped down steeper than she was expecting.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 07-06-23, 08:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Watching the video closely, it's clear that she was trying to plant the left foot. However, she was probably over committed to the right, possibly planning to plant the right before noting the drop-off. Having steered all the way to the burn, she couldn't or wouldn't steer off the edge to bring the bike back under her.

I've seen similar falls, even when not planning to dismount, as riders fixate on what they're trying to avoid instead of the "escape" path.

IMO this is a good example of "target fixation" where she was so focused on not dropping off the burm that she rode right up to it, leaving herself without options.

It's why we train folks not to stare at the rear tire of who they're drafting. Instead look slightly to the left, while tracking out of the corner of their eyes.

This is a counter-intuitive learned skill that will have you riding around hazards rather than into them.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-06-23 at 08:17 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 07-07-23, 05:02 AM
Jeff Neese

Unless it's a "pedal forward" design (or a recumbent), the ONLY way to properly dismount a bicycle is to come off the saddle, and THEN put your foot on the ground. Clipped in or not, ground sloped more than she thought, she leaned the wrong way - none of that matters. If your seat is the proper height, you will not be able to solidly plant your foot on the ground while still in the saddle.

Proper mount and dismount is an important skill to develop. I always encourage people to watch YouTube videos, and drill it over and over until it becomes muscle memory. This is why we see so many people on the MUP riding with their saddle way too low. They think you should be able to put your foot down while seated, and no one showed them any better or taught them how to get on and off their bicycle.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 07-07-23, 06:36 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Unless it's a "pedal forward" design (or a recumbent), the ONLY way to properly dismount a bicycle is to come off the saddle, and THEN put your foot on the ground. Clipped in or not, ground sloped more than she thought, she leaned the wrong way - none of that matters. If your seat is the proper height, you will not be able to solidly plant your foot on the ground while still in the saddle.

Proper mount and dismount is an important skill to develop. I always encourage people to watch YouTube videos, and drill it over and over until it becomes muscle memory. This is why we see so many people on the MUP riding with their saddle way too low. They think you should be able to put your foot down while seated, and no one showed them any better or taught them how to get on and off their bicycle.
And of course "so many people" haven't studied the GOOD BOOK of PROPER CYCLING. Thank goodness there are so many experienced experts available to preach the ONLY PROPER WAY to ride a bicycle.
Old 07-07-23, 07:42 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
And of course "so many people" haven't studied the GOOD BOOK of PROPER CYCLING. Thank goodness there are so many experienced experts available to preach the ONLY PROPER WAY to ride a bicycle.
Yes, there are many experienced experts who have made videos on this topic. Here's a link to three, out of many. Notice they are all demonstrating the same technique, which is what every beginner should practice. There are variations, and other mounts and dismounts for more advanced cyclists, but sitting in the saddle while planting your foot is never one of them. The problem is that newbies don't educate themselves, and (as is the case of the woman in the video), they get hurt. Learning the basics matters.

Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 07-07-23, 02:11 PM
FBinNY 

Unless it's a "pedal forward" design (or a recumbent), the ONLY way to properly dismount a bicycle is to come off the saddle....
ONLY is a very limiting term. There are very few things that can only be done one way, and this isn't one of them.

I've been a lifetime road cyclist with something like a quarter million miles of experience. I'll routinely stop while in the saddle, and while I can't plant my foot, l've never had problems with a toe down stop.

Whether to do a toe down or an off saddle stop is purely at the rider's discretion, though the ability to do so (with the saddle at proper height) might depend on such variables as BB height and foot size.

But most riders can probably do a toe down stop safely, and might prefer to do so for a short stop.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-07-23 at 02:14 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 07-07-23, 02:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
ONLY is a very limiting term. There are very few things that can only be done one way, and this isn't one of them.

I've been a lifetime road cyclist with something like a quarter million miles of experience. I'll routinely stop while in the saddle, and while I can't plant my foot, l've never had problems with a toe down stop.

Whether to do a toe down or an off saddle stop depends is at the rider's discretion, and the ability to do so with the saddle at proper height, might depend on such variables as BB height and foot size.

But most riders can probably do a toe down stop safely, and might to do so for a short stop.
While I agree with you completely, stopping is different than dismounting. Jeff did say "dismount".
Old 07-07-23, 02:27 PM
FBinNY 

While I agree with you completely, stopping is different than dismounting. Jeff did say "dismount".
Yes, but one can easily stop, and then dismount.

In any case, opting for an off the saddle dismount would not have changed anything in this case.

Either way requires committing to one side, leaning that way and planting the foot with the other foot staying on the pedal, either for control, or for support off the saddle.

In fact, I'd venture that changing sides would be harder once your off the saddle and supporting yourself on the "up" foot.
Old 07-07-23, 04:18 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Impossible to know whether she was clipped or not, but I strongly suspect she was. Wrong lean/wrong foot or not, people's reflexes are too good for this to happen unless she was restrained and couldn't correct fast enough.

This is classic for those first using clips & straps or clipless pedals. It rarely happens more than once, once the correct sequence - disengage pedal, commit to that side, plant foot when stopped - becomes second nature. Over the years I've seen every variation of this problem the most amusing of which is the new rider coming to a full stop with both feet still clipped.
Nope. Around 20 seconds you can see the bottom of feet as she goes over the side. At 1:45, you can see the pedal from the hillside and it is clearly a wide, flat pedal. No clips or toeclips involved.

Watching the video closely, it's clear that she was trying to plant the left foot. However, she was probably over committed to the right, possibly planning to plant the right before noting the drop-off. Having steered all the way to the burn, she couldn't or wouldn't steer off the edge to bring the bike back under her.
You must be watching a very different video than I am. At 24 seconds, she throws her left leg up in the air as she puts her right foot down while still seated on the saddle. The hill is too steep to the right and she is too close to the edge and goes over. She might have been able to avoid the problem if she had slide off the saddle first instead of trying to put her foot down from the saddle.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-07-23, 04:43 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
My casual assessment is that a few minor errors compounded one another and happened altogether too quickly for this cyclist. Starting with, following the car too close, and being very close to the edge of a road with no shoulder, she's gotten herself into a tiny box that's going to be hard for even a good cyclist to get out of. Once you're at a standstill, you have no control. Once your center of gravity is in the wrong place, the rest is self-fulfilling.

Could've been me. It's a reminder to be like a chess player and always be thinking a couple of moves ahead. Stay out of that tiny box in the first place.

Amazingly, she took quite a tumble and walked away from it.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 07-07-23 at 04:46 PM.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 07-07-23, 04:57 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by cyccommute

You must be watching a very different video than I am. At 24 seconds, she throws her left leg up in the air as she puts her right foot down while still seated on the saddle. The hill is too steep to the right and she is too close to the edge and goes over. She might have been able to avoid the problem if she had slide off the saddle first instead of trying to put her foot down from the saddle.
I guess I must be watching a different video.

In the one I'm watching, her left leg is clearly coming off the pedal, and seeming to reach down, while her right leg is stationary. Of course, there's no certainty since the shot is framed too high.

However, we can give the rider some credit. She very carefully rode to the right edge, yet avoided going off the burm. Given the care and time involved, I'm comfortable in crediting her with the sense to note the drop and plant to plant the left foot on the high side.

But, as you pointed out, we're watching different videos, so there's no point in arguing ad nauseum.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 07-07-23, 05:23 PM
Jeff Neese

But most riders can probably do a toe down stop safely, and might prefer to do so for a short stop.
Most can probably do a toe down stop?

A proper stop and dismount, as demonstrated in the video links I posted and just about every other video you'll find, always works. That's why it should be part of every cyclists muscle memory.

Even if you can touch the ground on the tippy-toes of one foot, it's certainly not secure and I would contend it's a bad habit. What happens when you reach for the ground with your toe and it's not there because there's a hole or depression of even just a few inches? Look what happened to the woman in the video. Had she come off the saddle and put her entire foot down like you're supposed to, she wouldn't have crashed over onto her side.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 07-07-23, 05:31 PM
Jeff Neese

Yes, but one can easily stop, and then dismount.

In any case, opting for an off the saddle dismount would not have changed anything in this case.

Either way requires committing to one side, leaning that way and planting the foot with the other foot staying on the pedal, either for control, or for support off the saddle.

In fact, I'd venture that changing sides would be harder once your off the saddle and supporting yourself on the "up" foot.
There is no need to lean the bike in order to stop. Once you're stopped and want to get off the bike completely, it helps to lean it to one side so you can step over, but that's when you're getting off the bike. Had she been off the saddle to stop, she wouldn't have had to lean the bike to touch the ground, and wouldn't have fallen.
Old 07-07-23, 05:44 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I guess I must be watching a different video.

In the one I'm watching, her left leg is clearly coming off the pedal, and seeming to reach down, while her right leg is stationary. Of course, there's no certainty since the shot is framed too high.

However, we can give the rider some credit. She very carefully rode to the right edge, yet avoided going off the burm. Given the care and time involved, I'm comfortable in crediting her with the sense to note the drop and plant to plant the left foot on the high side.

But, as you pointed out, we're watching different videos, so there's no point in arguing ad nauseum.
Slow the video down to about 0.25 speed. You’ll see that here left leg is coming off the pedal up into the air. She isn’t reaching down with the left pedal. She’s reaching down with the right one and there just isn’t anything under the right leg.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-07-23, 05:50 PM
cyccommute 

Most can probably do a toe down stop?
My foot doesn’t come within 4” of the ground. I’m pretty sure that even if I did a ballerina toe point that my toe would be a good inch off the ground. I’ve never toe down stopped in 50+ years of riding.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-07-23, 06:46 PM
FBinNY 

My foot doesn’t come within 4” of the ground. I’m pretty sure that even if I did a ballerina toe point that my toe would be a good inch off the ground. I’ve never toe down stopped in 50+ years of riding.
The difference is that I'm not the one arguing that there's ONLY ONE WAY to stop or dismount.

In any case, there's no point in trying to teach anyone here something that they've done successfully countless times, usually with little, if any, conscious thought.

I invite anyone who cares to give a bit of conscious awareness to their stops/discounts next time they're out.

Whether they stay seated or not the basics are the same. You get ready to stop, prepare the designated "down" foot and leave the other, "up" foot, on the pedal, either for control or as a step to lift off the seat. (Without keeping the up foot on the pedal, you cannot come off the saddle).

Now that you,ve decided and cued your down foot, the final and critical step is to lean the bike or shift your weight to ensure that the bike will "fall" toward the down foot side.

However the person in the video fell, what is clear is that she erred in one of those steps, either by choosing to step to the side with a fall off, or failed to achieve the required lean to the left.

I saw it as the latter, others the former, but I'm happy to accept that "only her hairdresser knows for sure".
Old 07-07-23, 07:11 PM
Jeff Neese

I just went out and tried to stop while still in the saddle. Technically, I can reach the ground with my toe if I really reach, but why would anyone do that? It's a simple matter to just slide forward off the saddle and plant that foot firmly on the ground, standing over the top bar. Then to get going again, the other foot is already in position to launch so you just stand up and back into the saddle. It's a lot easier, and safer for sure.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 07-07-23, 07:20 PM
Jeff Neese

The difference is that I'm not the one arguing that there's ONLY ONE WAY to stop or dismount.
It's not that there's only one way to stop or dismount. I'll occasionally do a "cyclocross" dismount, myself. But there is a definite WRONG way. Sitting in the saddle and putting your feet down while stopped is never a thing, and beginners should be taught that from the beginning. Otherwise they put their saddle too low, just so they can put their feet down. The exception would be pedal-forward bikes that are specially designed for that.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 07-07-23, 07:36 PM
FBinNY 

It's not that there's only one way to stop or dismount. I'll occasionally do a "cyclocross" dismount, myself. But there is a definite WRONG way. Sitting in the saddle and putting your feet down while stopped is never a thing, and beginners should be taught that from the beginning. Otherwise they put their saddle too low, just so they can put their feet down. The exception would be pedal-forward bikes that are specially designed for that.
You've said this before and are absolutely free to believe and repeat it

I try to avoid arguments about opinions and am happy to let anyone to draw their own conclusions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.