Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Total beginner - am I crazy to attempt to true a wheel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-23, 08:41 PM
ATL720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts

I am a total beginner, so I'm going to do my best to ask a good question here. I have zero experience with bikes other than riding one around as a kid. I'm the proud new owner of two late 90s Trek 720 Multitrack bikes for my wife and I. Part of the reason for the older bikes and the matching models is that I want to learn to do the work on them myself. Maybe eventually, we would upgrade components or buy new bikes, but a big part of this for me is really learning how everything works and getting my hands dirty.

I tried to look over the bikes as best I knew how when I bought them, but my wife's rear wheel is out of true. It has a noticeable wobble and brushes up against the break each rotation, although it is minor and not noticeable while riding. I only noticed while riding behind her yesterday. There are no obviously loose or broken spokes. As far as I can tell, it is not out of round. I have read the Sheldon Brown page on truing wheels, and he says that this should be the last DIY job that an aspiring bike mechanic undertakes, but it seems from the notes that this page may be out of date. I've also read the park tools page and watched some youtube videos, and it seems like it shouldn't be that hard. I obviously don't have a truing stand and would be doing it on the bike using the brake as a guide trying to get it true enough to at least avoid contact with the brake pad. So, with that said, here are my questions:
  1. How bad is it to ride on this for now? Is it a stop riding and fix immediately problem? Or is it a yes fix it eventually but riding is fine for now problem?
  2. Am I crazy to attempt to do this myself? Do I have a reasonable chance at getting it true or learning something valuable in the process? Assuming I don't do anything too crazy, do I risk anything other than the $5 tool by giving it a shot?

I hope to have more questions in this forum in the future, so thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-10-23, 09:06 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Do you now have an understanding of how a spoked wheel is constructed, how the spokes function and how it can be trued and tensioned? Did the youtube videos and your reading give you that information? If so, begin to work on your bike's wheel but go slow. A fraction of a turn on a spoke nipple can have a measurable effect on the wheel so don't spin the spoke wrench like you are on Wheel of Fortune.

If the wheel you have is not wobbling a great deal and there are no obvious loose spokes, it can probably be ridden safely for a while.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 07-10-23, 09:23 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
A $5 tool will probably cause you a lot of grief!
The spokes/nipples probably haven't had a wrench on them in about 25 years and are likely corroded tight.
A cheap wrench will just round off nipples.
If you try it, get a GOOD wrench and apply a drop of penetrating oil to each nipple first.
I get my PO in a can and use a hypo to apply the oil. You can apply a drop to the 3-4 nipples closest to the ground, give it a minute to run in, rotate the wheel 3-4 more spokes & repeat.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 07-10-23, 09:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Are you prepared to admit you've failed badly and take the mess to a bike shop? If you dive in. this might ultimately be your best bail out.

Now that said - I like that you want to dive into this. So some hints. This wheel wasn't always out of true. Something changed, Spokes don't self-tighten. They may well have been built up overall too loose, but no spoke up and tightened itself. (A previous owner may have.) So 1) look for loose spokes. I like to pluck them and listen for ones with lower pitch or simply a thud sound instead of a ping. When you find a loose spoke (or one with a much higher pitched sound) look to see if the rim moves away from the loose spoke or towards the tight one. If yes, you may have just found the problem. Adjusting that spoke to the sound of its neighbors may return the wheel to close to true. If so, hurray! But - the spoke may be loose because the rim is bent toward it. If so, tightening it will make the wheel true worse.

If the issue is one or two lone spokes loosening, you may be able to make large improvements just correcting them. If it is a bent rim issue, well correcting a bent rim with spoke tension makes the overall uniformity of tension a lot worse. Better to accept that money needs to be spent on a new wheel of a rim replacement and rebuild.

In the meantime, get a good wheel building book. I like the book "Building Bicycle Wheels" by Robert Wright; long out of print but not hard to find on-line. He keeps it simple. (Was also a very good, in demand local wheel builder for the Santa Cruz racing crowd circa 1980. None of the principles have changed since then.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-10-23, 10:25 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
We all had to start somewhere. It's a great skill to have.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-10-23, 11:26 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Not crazy. Every single person, no matter how experienced they are at other aspects of bike mechanics is a rank beginner the first time they build or true a wheel.

It's not rocket science, it's actually very simple in concept and practice.

Read up on it: look at online information, watch a couple of videos and just make sure you actually understand what's going on. Then, take it slow and easy. It's not hard, you'll do fine.
Old 07-11-23, 05:42 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Look for a discarded wheel to practice on.

If there's a bike co-op in your area, they'll teach/help you.

I took a decent class in wheel building at a bike shop. I agree with Sheldon Brown about wheel building, not necessarily about truing.

My older brother gave me a spoke wrench when I was about ten, and boy did I make a mess.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 07-11-23, 06:37 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Not crazy. And BTW the 720 is a nice bike.

If the rim is hitting the brakes, it's time to true the wheel.

Get a good spoke wrench. Stay far away from the shiny ring wrenches that fit 6 sizes. Take the bike to a nearby shop and pay $10 for the right size wrench.

If you can hear the "ping" pitch, ID the loose spokes. You may want to flag them with a scrap of masking tape, though that's optional and will change the pitch. Note that the left and right (non-drive side and drive side) are at different tones/tension; this is on purpose. My guess is there are 2-4 spokes that are unwound. Bring them up to tension, 1/4 turn at a time. For the time being, stop when the rim doesn't hit the brakes, and take your wife on a nice bike ride.
Old 07-11-23, 07:44 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Truing wheels isn’t something that is all that difficult nor is it something that should be “the last DIY job for an aspiring mechanic”. It’s relatively easy as long as you keep in mind a few things. First, and foremost, realize that the spokes tell you which way you need to move the rim. The spokes on the left of the wheel pull the spokes to the left and the ones on the right pull to the right. If the rim on the wheel is hitting the right brake, you need to pull the rim to the left by tightening the left spokes or loosening the right ones. Work on large sections of the rim if you can first. You may need to tighten or loosen several spokes across a span of rim if the wheel is largely out of true. Start in the middle and work your way out to either edge of a large section.

Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good. If the rim is mostly straight and doesn’t hit the brake, it is good enough. Stop there.

As has been pointed out, the spoke nipples need some lubrication before you start. Any kind of mineral oil will work. 3-in-One oil is fine as is motor oil or chain lube. Just use it sparingly as in a single drop per nipple. Oiling the nipples will make them easier to turn without rounding them off. Wipe the wheel off when you are done.

Rounding off nipples can be a problem as well. If the nipple doesn’t turn or if you try to tighten the nipples too much, the wrench can slip and cause the nipple to round. If you find that you have to struggle to get the nipple to move with only light pressure, try loosening or tightening the nipple (or two) on the other side.

Watch some videos and give it a whirl. If you can find someone to show you how in person, all the better.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-11-23, 07:48 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
go for it! It can be fun. I've had both success and failure at it. It's a fun challenge.
Old 07-11-23, 07:48 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
One if the things that has changed since the days of Sheldon Brown's site (and books) is you-tube. Learning any new skill like bike mechanics with a good video is revolutionary. A picture tells a thousand words but a video is a million. So I'd say, watch a few vids and go for it.
PS I have a 720 as well. Nice bikes.
Old 07-11-23, 09:08 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
ATL720 here's a way to get started:

- find the point of maximum runout (left or right deflection from some imagined wheel centerline)
- pick the group of four spokes that are on either side of that
- Trace the four spokes back to their respective hub flange. Two will be left, two will be right
- take the two spokes that are needed to "pull" the rim back into line.
- if the rim is deflected to the left, you will tighten the 2 spokes going to the right flange
- Tighten those spokes - start with 1/4 turn
- Loosen the other two spokes going to the opposite flange by the same amount
- keep going around, working a little bit at a time, until you approach a level of true-ness that you are happy with.

you can use the bike's brakes as a reference if you don't have a truing stand. The Park spoke wrench is fine for beginners.

practice practice practice and you will build your skills.

good luck with it

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 07-11-23 at 09:15 AM.
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 07-11-23, 10:10 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Dig in after reading about the basics, IMO; this is the way I learned, but just make changes in small increments. The next step is building a wheel which can be accomplished in the same manner.
Old 07-11-23, 10:35 AM
ATL720

Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice and encouragement. I just went down to the LBS and got the proper sized wrench and confirmed with the mechanic that it's not too bad. He thinks I can fix it. So I'm going to give it a shot in the next day or so, see what I can do, and take it to them if I can't figure it out. I'll update the thread on how it goes.
Likes For ATL720:
Old 07-11-23, 11:47 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Playing with my Spokes, Spoke Wrench, Nipples, Tension Gunge, Truing Device, and Pinnggg, are all fun when the weathers to Cold or too Hot.

When its ridding weather its just a chore...

But it must be done so learning now on an old wheel set is a rewarding skill and admirable...
Old 07-11-23, 12:50 PM
sj8070

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Place your bike upside down or on a homemade stand. Using a zip tie on the frame as a reference, spin the wheel to identify the area of wobble. Make minute adjustments to the corresponding spoke nipples with a standard wrench. If the wheel veers left, tighten the right spoke or loosen the left, and vice versa. Perform small tweaks, checking the wheel spin after each. Adjust until the wheel rotates smoothly, ensuring overall spoke tension is even. Be patient and persistent, it's all about fine-tuning.....
Old 07-11-23, 12:51 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
We are glad you are learning a skill like truing a wheel! It is important to keep the concept of the wheel as a system in your head as you work. It looks like I'll be the first one to say it, and it's potentially premature, but 79pmooney hinted at it: The wheel was extremely likely sold in a round and true configuration, and something has changed to make it no longer true. More than half the time, that 'something' is damage to the system.

The spokes pulling to the opposite of the bump will do the majority of the work to true the wheel, but you'll want to spread the pulling around the rim like mpetry912 suggested. I second that you should 'pluck' the spokes like a guitar string and listen to how the tones change around the wheel to approximate how much tension each spoke is under. The goal would be to bring all the spokes on the same side of the hub to a similar tone. Since this is a rear wheel, the spokes on the side with the cogs should have a higher pitch, because they should be under a higher tension and thus have a higher pitch.

I didn't see an answer to your first question. My advice is that riding on a wheel that is out of true enough to rub the brake pads won't hurt much to get home or if you're in a pinch, but loose spokes only continue to loosen. The rim will fail once enough support is lost and you'll have a more expensive repair when that happens, so correct it sooner rather than later.
Old 07-11-23, 01:12 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Having built wheels for touring bikes I can say that it is not as easy as it looks to true a wheel. When a spoke on one side of the wheel is adjusted it affects the spoke(s) on the opposite side of the wheel as well. It is not difficult to find yourself chasing your tail. Minor adjustments are easy to make and likely to be more successful. Be careful as too much spoke tension can damage the rim and it could fail when your wife is on the bike.
Old 07-11-23, 01:17 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
When I was a teen in the 70s we didn't think twice about it. Couldn't afford bike shops and there was a bike boom so it took at least a week to get anything back from the shop if you did take it in. I suspect the steel rims of the day might have been more tolerant, but it seemed to work well enough. We didn't understand dishing and we only knew of tension as a concept. If you were starting from zero you'd go hand tight and then a few turns with the wrench. To true a wheel you just tighten a little and loosen a little until it was seemed to rotate with minimal distortion using the brake pads as a guide.

I don't now advocate doing this with no real understanding of the proper manner in which to do it, but if clueless kids didn't seem to go too far afield it isn't an impossible task.
Old 07-11-23, 03:10 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Approach a wheel as an endless arch. anything you do in one area can/will have an affect on the opposite area of the arch.
This is mostly manifested in a high low jump to the wheel.
Keep that in mind as you learn.
Old 07-11-23, 03:15 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by ATL720
Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice and encouragement. I just went down to the LBS and got the proper sized wrench and confirmed with the mechanic that it's not too bad. He thinks I can fix it. So I'm going to give it a shot in the next day or so, see what I can do, and take it to them if I can't figure it out. I'll update the thread on how it goes.
just remember that it's not all "tighten".. sometimes you need to LOOSEN the opposite side spokes too.... and be mindful of up/down runout too

I work in 1/2 turns, then fine tune with 1/4 turns as needed, unless i'm tightening up a super-loose spoke... and check for any super-loose spokes BEFORE you begin truing the wheel...

and the most important thing to remember.. if you get frustrated.. set down the spoke wrench, walk away.. and don't return to it until you've calmed down.

Last edited by maddog34; 07-11-23 at 03:20 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 07-11-23, 07:32 PM
ATL720

Alright, update everyone. I have to say I'm humbled by all of the helpful responses here. Really appreciate the help. I sat down this afternoon and used the plucking method to quickly find a couple very loose spokes. I tightened those first and then went to work with quarter turns on the wobbly sections. Pretty much every comment in this thread helped in some way. Long story short, after about 30 minutes of plucking and spinning, the wheel is true within a couple mm. No visible wobble when viewed from the rear. If you use the brake as a reference, you can still see a little wobble, but this is a 8-10 mph city cruiser, not a racing bike, so I am happy.

I have a few more issues I'm looking to fix, so I'll see you all soon
Old 07-12-23, 07:48 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Also, check your wheel for trueness after the first and several more rides and check that none of the spokes have come loose again. Hardest part of learning to play with spokes is to get a fairly even tension between them. Just takes practice.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 07-12-23, 12:00 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Are you prepared to admit you've failed badly and take the mess to a bike shop? If you dive in. this might ultimately be your best bail out.

Now that said - I like that you want to dive into this. So some hints. This wheel wasn't always out of true. Something changed, Spokes don't self-tighten. They may well have been built up overall too loose, but no spoke up and tightened itself. (A previous owner may have.) So 1) look for loose spokes. I like to pluck them and listen for ones with lower pitch or simply a thud sound instead of a ping. When you find a loose spoke (or one with a much higher pitched sound) look to see if the rim moves away from the loose spoke or towards the tight one. If yes, you may have just found the problem. Adjusting that spoke to the sound of its neighbors may return the wheel to close to true. If so, hurray! But - the spoke may be loose because the rim is bent toward it. If so, tightening it will make the wheel true worse.

If the issue is one or two lone spokes loosening, you may be able to make large improvements just correcting them. If it is a bent rim issue, well correcting a bent rim with spoke tension makes the overall uniformity of tension a lot worse. Better to accept that money needs to be spent on a new wheel of a rim replacement and rebuild.

In the meantime, get a good wheel building book. I like the book "Building Bicycle Wheels" by Robert Wright; long out of print but not hard to find on-line. He keeps it simple. (Was also a very good, in demand local wheel builder for the Santa Cruz racing crowd circa 1980. None of the principles have changed since then.)
thank you.
Old 07-12-23, 12:04 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by ATL720
Alright, update everyone. I have to say I'm humbled by all of the helpful responses here. Really appreciate the help. I sat down this afternoon and used the plucking method to quickly find a couple very loose spokes. I tightened those first and then went to work with quarter turns on the wobbly sections. Pretty much every comment in this thread helped in some way. Long story short, after about 30 minutes of plucking and spinning, the wheel is true within a couple mm. No visible wobble when viewed from the rear. If you use the brake as a reference, you can still see a little wobble, but this is a 8-10 mph city cruiser, not a racing bike, so I am happy.

I have a few more issues I'm looking to fix, so I'll see you all soon
I was just typing a response to encourage you to give it a go. Glad to hear you did that and you were able to resolve the actual problem.

Note: It's essentially impossible to remove all wobble. You can get close with a set of carbon rims, but common aluminum rims it's just not. Wheel truing is one of those things that aside from learning how to do things, you also need to develop a sense of when to stop trying to make it better. You just start chasing ghosts.

Good job!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.