Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thinking about buying a riding computer...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-10, 06:36 PM
NABRXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have been commuting on my specialized allez triple for over a year now. My daily round trip is 40 miles, a mix of suburban new york with NYC trafffic mixed in. I get in at least 160 miles a week and the ride takes me 1 hour and 20 minutes where it initially took me 2 hours. I want to get a computer that tracks heartrate, cadence, speed, maybe gps and can download to my computer. I know there is no "perfect" computer, but which one is getting the most reliable use out there? Any insights including which one to stay away from would be appreciated.

Thanks all.
Old 08-07-10, 06:38 PM
NABRXX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My time for the ride in this thread is a one-way time....not round trip...
Old 08-07-10, 06:55 PM
nick the swede

Bikes: GT I-Drive 4.0, Specialized Tarmac Comp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have any to recommend as I'm in the market too for a new Computer. I've always had a cheap 20 dollar one from Performance Bike. I've heard good things about Garmin but they will put you back some
Old 08-07-10, 07:11 PM
ENEMY

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been thinking about this computer. https://www.rei.com/product/799541 though it cost more than my paycheck. haha. Time to work more than 24hrs a week
Old 08-07-10, 07:17 PM
Sylv
Philly Fanatic

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin 500 (linked above) is an amazing little toy. Does everything a biking computer should, and does it well.
Old 08-07-10, 07:23 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by NABRXX
My time for the ride in this thread is a one-way time....not round trip...
Thank God. I was about to sell my bikes and take up knitting.

If you want GPS, look into Garmin. If that's too pricey, just find a computer that has the basic features you want. Good name brands are Cateye, Vetta, and VDO. The only thing I'll specifically say to avoid is any computer that doesn't have auto on/off. Most computers have that now, but one of my friends just bought one without it (Planet Bike brand, if I recall) and never has the correct mileage because she doesn't remember to turn it on until mid ride.
Old 08-07-10, 07:52 PM
Buegie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would tell you how awesome the Garmin 500 is, but shipping from PBK is taking longer than normal
Old 08-07-10, 07:55 PM
SVThis

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710, 2010 Scott CR! Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got got my Garmin 500 from PBK in less than a week. I absolutely love mine. So far it has worked flawlessly.
Old 08-07-10, 07:55 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
IMO, the biggest things you get from the gps based garmins are elevation gain/loss, and the ability to download your routes to the computer to review.

the garmin 500 and the edge 305 are great, fairly reasonably priced computers which really work very well.

as mentioned, if you dont need the gps side of it, most of the basic computers are MUCH cheaper, and they all work pretty well also. i have a specialized brand computer on one of my bikes, it was about $30 - $35, and has a nice large display, works perfectly, and the battery has lasted over 2 years of intermittant use.
Old 08-07-10, 08:05 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by AngryScientist
IMO, the biggest things you get from the gps based garmins are elevation gain/loss, and the ability to download your routes to the computer to review.
My VDO gets elevation with its altimeter, and is arguably just as accurate (both have their inherent flaws) but I have to spend a half hour at home mapping the route on mapmyride if I want to share it with anyone, or log it.
Old 08-07-10, 08:13 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
My VDO gets elevation with its altimeter, and is arguably just as accurate (both have their inherent flaws) but I have to spend a half hour at home mapping the route on mapmyride if I want to share it with anyone, or log it.
yea, the garmin connect feature where you can share a ride with a simple link is awesome.

how much is the VDO with altimiter anyway, sounds interesting. one of the things i dislike about the garmin, though its a minor inconvenience is that it takes a minute or two to find satellites when you first turn it on, which can slow you down if i dont turn it on when i'm filling tires, putting on shoes, etc.
Old 08-07-10, 08:20 PM
chasmm

Bikes: '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the Garmin Edge 500, and I've been very happy with it. Like most sophisticated pieces of electronic equipment, it has had its bugs (well documented on the Garmin forums) but Garmin has been pretty good about releasing firmware updates to address any issues.

The ability to upload rides/download courses is pretty cool.

Charles
Old 08-07-10, 08:24 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by AngryScientist
yea, the garmin connect feature where you can share a ride with a simple link is awesome.

how much is the VDO with altimiter anyway, sounds interesting. one of the things i dislike about the garmin, though its a minor inconvenience is that it takes a minute or two to find satellites when you first turn it on, which can slow you down if i dont turn it on when i'm filling tires, putting on shoes, etc.
I think you can find the MC1.0 for about $100 when it's on sale. Spare mounting kits are under $15 from Amazon and some of the retailers. I would never remember to turn on a Garmin.
Old 08-07-10, 08:54 PM
aggarcia

Bikes: 14 Ridely Noah RS, 09 Trek 2.1, 10 Trek 7.1 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GPS and downloadable mean a Garmin. I have been using a Node 2 since Jan. It offers almost everything the Garmin has except those mentioned. It is Ant+ and tracks speed, cadence, HR, power, time, temp, elevation, HR zones, intervals, calories burned, and even a light. I have been very happy with it's performance. Not many wireless bike computers with this functionality for this price point.
Old 08-07-10, 09:30 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another vote for Garmin. I know a lot of people whonhave the 500 but do hear a few who are still complaining of software glitches. FWIW I've been using an Edge 305 for a year and a half after using a Cateye wired computer for a similar amount of time. What has really transformed my riding with the Edge has been using Strava.com for uploading rides. You can pick out segments at you regularly ride on your trip (maybe a sprint point or a climb) and each time you ride it thereafter, you can compare your performance. It also tabulates the GPS data from all other riders on that stretch too - really helps make a regular routine ride more fun.
Old 08-07-10, 10:10 PM
candy ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buegie
I would tell you how awesome the Garmin 500 is, but shipping from PBK is taking longer than normal
ordered handlebars on sunday, they were at my house on thursday (san diego)

free shipping

as far as the computer, can't go wrong with the edge 500
Old 08-07-10, 11:44 PM
NABRXX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks all...your insights are a valuable guide...
Old 08-08-10, 12:29 AM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the 205 Garmin a few years back. I loved it. I really like looking at the data afterward especially when I do the same route once a week. It's good to track my progress, and watch the times drop, and analyze where I can make gains. It was a useful tool. Then it started turning off randomly. One 95 degree day of problems, and I tossed it at a road sign, sending it into oblivion. Then I bought a 500 weeks later. I like it just as much, maybe a little better. Seems to find the sats faster. I have a routine, when I get ready I unload, or take the bike outside, while I do that I turn it on. By the time I air up, and put my shoes on, it is connected. It's really not that hard guys. Some may wonder why I bought another Garmin after the first one failed. Again I like how clean it is w/o any bike mounted sensors, so I can snap it onto multiple bikes, and the data collection from the Garmin Training Center software is awesome. So I am kinda hooked on Garmin now. That would be my only problem with it. It's addictive, and if it fails be ready to replace it. Also after getting hung out to dry by google maps directions 4 times on a 71mile solo journey I took last week. I think I am going to trade for a 705 with one of the guys at the LBS, so I can use the mapping feature in the event that may happen again.
Old 08-08-10, 01:21 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
What do you need GPS for? You won't get lost.

I recommend getting a Cateye Astrale 8 and a cheap HRM. I've tried a number of computers, and I always come back to the Astrale despite the fact that it's the cheapest one I've ever bought (I own 4 of them now). It's small, easy to use, and it won't fail you even in the worst conditions. No download function, but if you can see what you've done, why bother to download the info?
Old 08-08-10, 01:31 AM
wrr1020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been eyeing a Garmin 500 for awhile now. It's pretty pricey but i know after buying one and using it it'll be worth it.
Old 08-08-10, 02:19 PM
Buegie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by candy ride
ordered handlebars on sunday, they were at my house on thursday (san diego)

free shipping

as far as the computer, can't go wrong with the edge 500
I ordered on sunday as well, but I'm in CT, so I don't know how mine wouldn't come sooner. We'll see if it's here on monday. A week isn't that long, but most of the time I get my stuff within 3-4 days.
Old 08-08-10, 02:25 PM
Chef151

Bikes: '03 Klein Q Carbon Race, 105/ultegra, reynolds wheels, toupe saddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get some great deals on the 705 Refurb's on ebay, amazon etc. I've seen them as low as $330 (w/ HR strap and cadence sensor), shipped. Comes with a one year warranty. This is on the top of my x-max list.
Old 08-08-10, 03:15 PM
Brad Maestas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a CatEye Commuter while I save up for a nicer computer. It has been great. It has all the basic functions I have needed and has a nice big display. I supplement it with the Cyclemeter app on the iPhone to capture my route and elevation data. I'm at the point now where I'd like to have cadence and heart rate plus the routing and elevation all in one unit and be able to upload data so I'm definitely looking at the Garmins.
Old 08-08-10, 03:17 PM
kabex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have a smartphone then download gps cycling application. It's great.
Old 08-08-10, 04:23 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just snapped up my Garmin [STRIKE]305[/STRIKE] 500 from Performance w/ double points. What sold me was the Garmin Connect site. It is so well laid out and easy on the eyes. This will likely get me out even more just so I can plot my rides, ride against previous times and eventually get the heart rate/cadence kit.

EDIT: In bold.

Last edited by RT; 08-08-10 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Wrong model

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.