Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rain gear

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rain gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 03:04 PM
Soaper

Bikes: Vintage French road bike, Trek touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rain gear

What sort of rain gear do you experienced people use? I'm afraid what I have would be a disaster trying to ride in the rain. It is nylon and the rain blows right through it. Do you wear gaiters or something to keep your feet dry too?
Old 04-17-12, 03:06 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I wear rain gear to keep warm.
I sweat much so I am wet either way.

Old 04-17-12, 03:15 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nothing works. Gore-tex is best, it keeps the rain out, but even that is not breathable enough if one is working hard. As 10Wheels says, its main value is in ensuring that you don't get wet and cold at the same time.

You can get overshoes, and/or socks with a gore-tex liner. OK, but nothing keeps you dry in a real downpour.
Old 04-17-12, 03:24 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Soaper
something to keep your feet dry too?
After trying a few things, I decided to design my own out of a discarded plastic bottle and a waterproof gaiter (description and directions here).

As for rain gear, I use rain pants when it is a real downpour and cold. I have a thin rain shell that works OK expect in a downpour. To keep from sweating too much, look for pitzips and velcro on the front so you can secure it but have most of it be open for air flow. Rain pants + rain shell = soaking sweat
Old 04-17-12, 03:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My rain gear improved this year with the purchase of a cycling designed rain cape.

I got one big enough to drape over my hands, so they stay dry..

You need mudguards to stop wheel spray, I wear rain pants for windblown rain
And rubber Bean Boots.

if none, no fenders, you might as well just get a jacket.
and maybe some dishwashing gloves.

but TN didn't have a winter so I expect you wont need the same gear as I did .
touring Ireland where I lived in rain gear a Parka
from one of the outdoor shops might be better than a posh bike jacket..

Neon Lime, with wide reflective bands is a real bonus..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-17-12 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-17-12, 03:53 PM
Steve0000

Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
A good raincoat with hood and a baseball type cap to keep the rain out of my eyes. I don't bother with leggings or booties. Just try to keep the body core as dry as possible. If you cycle long enough in the rain, you get soaked anyway, just make sure you keep warm while doing it.
Old 04-17-12, 04:13 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I prefer cheap coated nylon. The breathable stuff doesn't breathe enough to keep me dry and to me it feels colder that something that doesn't let anything pass through.
Old 04-17-12, 04:22 PM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My below knee length hooded rain coat from Patagonia from 25 years ago still keeps me dry and warm. It is not breathable but the 2 way zipper allows me to unzip from the bottom to ventilate or adjust for changing conditions and rider sweat output. No rain pants or booties used just requires excellent fenders and large and long mud flaps front and back.

This year to save some weight and bulk I am lengthening a Dri-Ducks rain suit jacket using the pants material and a longer 2 way zipper to mimic the benefits of the Patagonia rain coat. Not field tested as yet and not as durable but looks promising. Patagonia has not responded to my requests for the old rain coat design recreated in modern light weight materials.
Old 04-17-12, 04:24 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Showers Pass makes some of the best bicyclist rainwear.

Still, at some point you just get wet, whether from rain or the >90% humidity beneath your rainwear.
Old 04-17-12, 05:19 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I wear a rain cape with wool underneath, I do have a pair of "breathable" rain pants, but I usually only wear them in extremely cold wet conditions. All my bikes have fenders which does a lot to keep you dry.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-17-12, 07:12 PM
Soaper

Bikes: Vintage French road bike, Trek touring bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to check out some of the gear that was mentioned. After reading the posts, I think if I ride in the rain I'm going to get at least a little wet. I already have fenders and flaps so that helps. If I can just stay warm I'm alright with that.
Old 04-17-12, 07:34 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it breathes, it seeps water. If it doesn't breath, you get soaked with sweat. Pick one.

After trying this and that, I'm satisfied with my North Face Venture suit. Bit pricy, but solid construction. It breathes. For non-breathable and cheap, Coleman makes this.
Old 04-17-12, 07:46 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
it all depends on the temps. Breathable gear works great in cold weather. Once it gets warm everything gets wet. Fenders are #1. After that you can manage with anything from a garbage bag to $250 Event jacket from Showers Pass. You can get pretty far with plastic grocery bags on your feet for wet spray off the road and other combos. I do fine in any amount of rain if it's cold, if it's warm then it's a bath.
Old 04-17-12, 07:47 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
seeker333
+1
REI also makes a decent set of bike specific rain gear. For training, and local rides I use "booties" for foot protection. On tours I just know my feet are going to get wet and live with it. I wear Samrtwool wool socks year around and the feet stay warm most of the time. A helmet cover is also a good thing, especially if you plan on riding in the rain very often. In Oregon we ride in the rain a lot.

Sowers Pass jacket, REI pants. This combo has kept me relatively comfortable in some pretty serious rain. Taking refuge under a bridge out of the rain. We had 35 days of rain on this trip

My wife modelling the Showers Pass "Touring" rain jacket. This is a really nice jacket.
Actually she was getting out of the rain while watching our bikes. I was in a store doing some shopping.

Sometimes it is prudent to just take shelter rather than try to ride through it! Fietsbob, this is in Astoria.

Last edited by Doug64; 04-17-12 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-17-12, 07:52 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Soaper
If I can just stay warm I'm alright with that.
thin wool/poly cap under your helmet can make a BIG difference on staying warm as can cheap wool gloves. Plastic sandwich bags over half of your feet or plastic bread bags over all of your foot can make a big difference. Wearing nytrile gloves under regular gloves may be icky but if you're cold it can help a lot. Showers Pass Event jacket is the best purchase for rain gear I"ve ever made. For cold wet rain goretex socks and rain pants is a dynamite combo.
Old 04-17-12, 08:22 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
Breathable gear works great in cold weather.
Hmmm. Interesting observation. Sorta makes sense I guess. Never ridden when it was raining and really cold. And don't want to.
Old 04-17-12, 10:01 PM
Thaddeus088

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy smokes, I need raingear!

I am accustomed to desert/high tundra living so when it rains I usually duck & cover for 5.

Does anyone have experience with ponchos? I'm usually sort of a turtle in rain.
Old 04-17-12, 10:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I may have to plan, bring camera, then get someone to take a picture.
reasonably comfortable riding in some of the Wetter days of the year.
Doug found one of those moments.
The Grundens cape I got from RivBike in the fall is heavy duty.
others might like one of the lighter ones.
Old 04-17-12, 10:31 PM
chiroptile

Bikes: Cannondale T 500 CAD2, Bianchi Via Nirone 7 AluCarbon, Bianchi Pista Concept, Kona Kikapu, Crosswave Country (tourer), Bridgestone Kabuki Project, Brompton 6, Specialized XC, Huffy something orother.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everybody sort of mentioned everything to take into consideration already, and it's all been on point.. just want to throw in a couple of suggestions. A shower cap stretched over your helmet will keep the rain off your head.. as for footwear, if you are planning to tour during the summer, cycling sandals might come in very useful on a rainy day
Old 04-18-12, 01:19 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Here's something I almost bought several times, the Carradice Pro Route rain cape:

https://www.wallbike.com/carradice/ra...oute-rain-cape

Instead I got this 4 years ago with optional hood, the SP Touring Jacket. It was developed from the popular but discontinued Burley Rock Point jacket.

https://www.showerspass.com/catalog/m...touring-jacket

I have these weird pants called Rainlegs, they work pretty good for everything except extended hard rain, and you don't sweat your nads off in them since they cover only the tops and sides of legs and groin area. You can roll them up into a neat, compact belt in about a minute:

https://www.rainlegs.com/en/home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbR6o...layer_embedded
Old 04-18-12, 01:25 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by arctos
My below knee length hooded rain coat from Patagonia from 25 years ago still keeps me dry and warm. It is not breathable but the 2 way zipper allows me to unzip from the bottom to ventilate or adjust for changing conditions and rider sweat output. No rain pants or booties used just requires excellent fenders and large and long mud flaps front and back.

This year to save some weight and bulk I am lengthening a Dri-Ducks rain suit jacket using the pants material and a longer 2 way zipper to mimic the benefits of the Patagonia rain coat. Not field tested as yet and not as durable but looks promising. Patagonia has not responded to my requests for the old rain coat design recreated in modern light weight materials.

The dri-ducks rain suit has some serious advantages. It breathes better than most fabrics I've encountered (Gore-tex included), it's dirt cheap and light weight. That being said, the suit itself leaves something to be desired. The fit is awful and leaves yards of fabric flapping in the wind. It's bad enough that it makes a considerable impact on the effort it takes to bike. I've done some duct tape surgery to mine to remedy this issue. The pants also completely suck, while they keep you dry, they don't really allow you to pedal, so it's almost a moot point. At about $20 a suit, they are ripe for DIY modifications.
Old 04-18-12, 01:37 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
Hmmm. Interesting observation. Sorta makes sense I guess. Never ridden when it was raining and really cold. And don't want to.
LOL. You Texans just need to harden up!

Seriously, most of my experimentation with rain gear for touring has been through commuting, and if you're going to commute year-round here you're going to ride in the cold and wet sometimes. And LeeG is dead right. Gore-tex is great in cold conditions, because it keeps the rain out and you don't sweat as much. But like anything else, it doesn't breathe fast enough if you're warm.

Capes/ponchos are great for rain, but act like a sail if there's any wind.
Old 04-18-12, 01:45 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
I am a bit of a convert to Showers Pass gear as well having gone from a Gore-tex Pac-Lite jacket to the Showers Pass Elite 2.0 and their Storm Pants. I managed to loose both on a tour last winter so whilst I have replaced the pants with a pair of Endura Superlites I have yet to make a decision on the replacement jacket. Another Showers Pass Elite 2.0 is top of the list but still looking for other options to consider. That said winter is a coming here so need to make a decision soon.

Showers Pass Elite 2.0

I am pretty impressed with eVent waterproof material both for cycling and bushwalking. Reviews from the bushwalking world at BackpackingLight.com are pretty postive about it as well.

Regards
Andrew

Last edited by Aushiker; 04-18-12 at 01:46 AM. Reason: add links
Old 04-18-12, 09:12 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Capes/ponchos are great for rain, but act like a sail if there's any wind.
Not to be lumped together , Cycle rain capes are cones, that you put your head
thru the top.

a rain poncho is a big flat rectangle with a hood sewn in the middle.

Proper cycle rain capes are featuring a loop [ 1 for each hand], and a waist tie ,
they keep the cape under control is pretty stormy weather .

that is my experience, not hearsay.
Old 04-18-12, 10:41 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Not to be lumped together , Cycle rain capes are cones, that you put your head
thru the top.

a rain poncho is a big flat rectangle with a hood sewn in the middle.

Proper cycle rain capes are featuring a loop [ 1 for each hand], and a waist tie ,
they keep the cape under control is pretty stormy weather .

that is my experience, not hearsay.
It's a long time since I tried a cape, fletsbob, but it was as you describe with loops. Don't remember the waist tie, but it may well have had one. In any event, I didn't mean it blew all over the place, but merely that it seemed to me to catch a lot of wind and therefore make riding pretty hard going. Is that not your experience? If not, I was probably doing it wrong...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.