Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Yokozuna cables have rendered my front brake useless......

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 07:13 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So I just had my LBS install the Yokozuna Reaction full brake/shifter cable and housing kit, and while yes, I've seen improvement on the shifting side (very nice, crisp almost instant shifts), My front brake has become a total bear to engage. It is very very stiff, and takes a lot more force to squeeze the lever. I'm running Shimano Ultegra levers.

My shop mechanic says that these cables are just not flexible and the short front brake cable is the cause for the new resistance when trying to brake.

Has anyone else experienced this with these cables or others?

Any recommendations on a good cable I can use up front for the brake while I leave the rest of the cables alone? I'm trying to become better at braking by using my front brake more, but man, this isn't helping me learn.....

Thanks
Old 07-19-12, 07:27 PM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I would check the routing of the cable yourself. Sometimes even good mechanics screw up, although his blaming the cables makes me think he was just looking for excuses. Check for kinks, uneven cuts and frayed cables and even too tight bar wrapping. Good luck!
Old 07-19-12, 07:41 PM
SVThis

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710, 2010 Scott CR! Team

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds to me like who ever installed them screwed up. Mine work fine.
Old 07-19-12, 07:46 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Syncmaster
Any recommendations on a good cable I can use up front
Yeah, try yokozuna's. They're pretty solid cables.

Can we get a pic of your cables to see what your setup looks like?

PS, mine work fine with my ultegra bike.
Old 07-19-12, 07:56 PM
rushbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rigid yes, but haven't heard of them inhibiting braking performance. May want to try posting in the Mechanics forum as well.
Old 07-19-12, 08:15 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
Yeah, try yokozuna's. They're pretty solid cables.

Can we get a pic of your cables to see what your setup looks like?

PS, mine work fine with my ultegra bike.
Hmmm so I'm curious as to why I'm finding so much trouble with these now. It's really only when I'm on the tops of the bars trying to brake that I notice the difference. It's possible to brake but it's much harder than it used to be.

Old 07-19-12, 08:27 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So I just released the cable from the brake and when there's no tension on the cable, it's still almost impossible for me to clamp the brake shut with my hands even. Then when I take the housing out of the spot where it connects at the top of the brake so that the brake doesn't have any cable/housing tension on it at all, then and only then can I freely clamp the brake shut. There is definitely A LOT of tension coming from the cable and it's pushing hard agains the brake, making the brake be very difficult to clamp.
Old 07-19-12, 10:39 PM
rushbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting. I'm surprised the brakes even release from the rim. How are the rear brakes?

Try unhooking the cable housing from the brake itself and straightening out the cable so it doesn't have that bend in it and give it a squeeze. If that solves it, then you might need a longer cable run to smooth over the bend/kink. If it doesn't solve it, then there's something else rubbing. Could be that the cable started to unravel inside the housing when it was fed through. Maybe there's something going on with the housing or inside the shift lever. In any event, your mechanic shouldn't have given it to you in this condition. You might want to consider finding a new LBS.
Old 07-20-12, 06:30 AM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rushbikes
Interesting. I'm surprised the brakes even release from the rim. How are the rear brakes?

Try unhooking the cable housing from the brake itself and straightening out the cable so it doesn't have that bend in it and give it a squeeze. If that solves it, then you might need a longer cable run to smooth over the bend/kink. If it doesn't solve it, then there's something else rubbing. Could be that the cable started to unravel inside the housing when it was fed through. Maybe there's something going on with the housing or inside the shift lever. In any event, your mechanic shouldn't have given it to you in this condition. You might want to consider finding a new LBS.
When I unhook the cable housing for the brake and there is no tension on the cable, the cable slides through very easily when I engage the brake lever. No resistance.

The resistance comes when I seat the cable/housing into the big step-down ferrule that's seated in the brake caliper. It's quite a hard bend that this very tall ferrule creates and trying to bend the Yokozuna housing into this little junction creates all that force exerted on the caliper. It's basically pushing the caliper to the side and keeping that constant force, making it very very difficult to have the calipers close when braking.

Should I try a longer housing, then?

I see you're in NYC. I was at Toga for this install, and I've always loved their shop. But this case really hasn't been good. Any recommendations for any places that might be able to do it right?
Old 07-20-12, 06:36 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
The housing on your front brake is cut a little short. The housing is supposed to come straight up out of the brake, and then begin to bend above that.

In the pic your housing appears to exit the brake already at a bit of an angle.

That said, it doesn't appear to be short enough to be causing the problem you're describing.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-20-12, 06:58 AM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The housing on your front brake is cut a little short. The housing is supposed to come straight up out of the brake, and then begin to bend above that.

In the pic your housing appears to exit the brake already at a bit of an angle.

That said, it doesn't appear to be short enough to be causing the problem you're describing.
Hmmm. Well when I feel how stiff the cable is, and how hard it is to bend it into the ferrule/caliper opening, I'm not surprised that it's causing all this extra tension. Maybe a longer cable could help?

Do I need the ferrule if the cable width matches the opening of the brake caliper? I believe that stiffness of the ferrule is also adding to how much the cable has to bend to get into the brake.
Old 07-20-12, 10:45 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guessing your mechanic routed the cable through your brake lever incorrectly. It would be hard to do, but possible I suppose.
Old 07-20-12, 11:08 AM
brian416
Roadie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Hmmm so I'm curious as to why I'm finding so much trouble with these now. It's really only when I'm on the tops of the bars trying to brake that I notice the difference. It's possible to brake but it's much harder than it used to be.

The front brake housing is a bit too short, The C7s are VERY finicky about housing length and routing.
Old 07-20-12, 11:21 AM
rushbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see you're in NYC. I was at Toga for this install, and I've always loved their shop. But this case really hasn't been good. Any recommendations for any places that might be able to do it right?
I only let 2 shops in the city touch my bike: Sid's east side location (ask for Brian) and NYC Velo although Dave was my guy there and he left last year so I can't really speak to their shop now, but they're a knowledgeable bunch (any NY'ers know where Dave is working now?). Also, I haven't been myself, but Mark Purdy at ifixbyx is a bit of a legend.

Yokozunas are some pretty serious cables. My guess is the mechanic at Toga has probably never routed a Reaction cable system before. Even so, by the looks of it, all four of those cables look pretty short to me for any cable system. Is your steering restricted? I'd also be concerned that the rear derailleur cabling in the back is too short as well.
Old 07-20-12, 03:26 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brian416
The front brake housing is a bit too short, The C7s are VERY finicky about housing length and routing.
Yeah I was wondering if maybe the combo of the KCNC C7 brakes and these Yokozuna cables might have been some sort of cause for what I'm experiencing now. Both the cables and the brakes are relatively unique in terms of everyday parts, so maybe the mechanic wasn't entirely sure what he was looking at.....

Might run down to NYC Velo or Sid's this weekend and see if I can get it sorted with whatever leftover cable I have.... Disappointing.
Old 07-21-12, 12:31 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Housing length is more importent to get correct with yokozunas. Because they are so stiff you can't over under length them like you can with standard housings.

I have installed tons of them. Your front housing is too short.

Old 07-21-12, 06:51 AM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Housing length is more importent to get correct with yokozunas. Because they are so stiff you can't over under length them like you can with standard housings.

Thank you so much for this info, Psimet. I'm going to go to the shop today and tell them it's not right. They need to either do it right or reimburse me because I'm going to have to go to another shop to get it done properly.
Old 07-21-12, 07:29 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Thank you so much for this info, Psimet. I'm going to go to the shop today and tell them it's not right. They need to either do it right or reimburse me because I'm going to have to go to another shop to get it done properly.
Let us know how it goes. I was considering Yokos for the Bianchi, so I will for the verdict.
Old 07-21-12, 05:16 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So I went to the shop and naturally they told me the same thing: These cables are just stubbornly stiff and that's the cause of the tightness. I told them that I'd talked to people who had actually installed them and used them and that they said that my situation didn't sound right. But they didn't know what to do. So I told them to swap in another cable that they know will work so that I can at least have a working front brake for the time being. They obliged, free of charge and I was on my way soon after.

It's not my ideal situation, because I've got a sort of mismatched cable setup going on now, but the brake feels better. I'm bummed about not being able to get the Yoko's to work up front. Though I have no idea how much difference in stopping power I'd feel if I had gotten the front brake installed right.

If I really want to get them working, maybe I'll try another shop that has been recommended here in this thread, but for now, I'm tired of fighting to get this cable working... especially now that I have a functioning brake.
Old 07-21-12, 06:55 PM
deep_sky

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time I installed the yokozuna's I made the same mistake, just a tad too short. The brake cable housing is serious pita due to the stiffness. I ended up having to take a pair of needlenose pliers and shape the part that goes into the brake lever so that the housing would go in at the correct angle and not interfere with braking, or move around when the brake lever is engaged.

It takes some doing, but I do like the crispness of the braking as opposed to standard dura-ace housings.
Old 07-21-12, 07:30 PM
Painful Chafe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't you say you had extra housing? Why didn't they try to use a piece a couple of inches longer instead of using a different type?
Old 07-21-12, 08:01 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Painful Chafe
Didn't you say you had extra housing? Why didn't they try to use a piece a couple of inches longer instead of using a different type?
Pretty sure they were convinced that it wasn't possible.... Not going to give the last of my housing to someone who doesn't know how to install the stuff. I'd rather take what he can give me and go to a shop who has done Yokozuna cables before and have them use up the last of my cables.
Old 07-21-12, 08:15 PM
foresthill

Bikes: MTB: Stumpjumper FSR, Road: De Rosa King 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd definitely find another shop for any future mechanical needs. The length needs to be more exact, but it's not rocket science. Anyone who's charging you to install them should be able to manage it. Especially after you go back and tell them what the problem is and how to fix it.

Or else they shouldn't be in business.
Old 07-21-12, 10:56 PM
rushbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foresthill
Or else they shouldn't be in business.
Funny you should mention... the Toga near me went out of business after about a year.
Old 07-22-12, 04:31 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001

+1

Definitely too short. I botched this up the first time I installed the Yokozuna housing as well.

When I unhook the cable housing for the brake and there is no tension on the cable, the cable slides through very easily when I engage the brake lever. No resistance.

The resistance comes when I seat the cable/housing into the big step-down ferrule that's seated in the brake caliper. It's quite a hard bend that this very tall ferrule creates and trying to bend the Yokozuna housing into this little junction creates all that force exerted on the caliper. It's basically pushing the caliper to the side and keeping that constant force, making it very very difficult to have the calipers close when braking.

Should I try a longer housing, then?

I used to go to Toga years back and got tired of having to go back with repairs they messed up.

Originally Posted by rushbikes
Funny you should mention... the Toga near me went out of business after about a year.
Are you referring to the one on the East side? I thought that was a Specialized concept store they got involved with...

Last edited by roadiejorge; 07-22-12 at 04:37 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.