Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Building My Last Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Building My Last Bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-12, 07:11 AM
Equinox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Building My Last Bike

I was thinking of going with the Lynskey Helix OS frame because of the chance that it would be durable for the long term. I currently have a Dura-Ace Group 53/39 with 12-27. I don't think I want electronic shifting. In my opinion, it is an expensive solution for a problem that doesn't exist. A properly adjusted mechanical system if fine for my purposes, and it would save money. I currently have HED wheels (clinchers) which I love. I have the lowest level of the Ardennes, which I would consider upgrading. I know carbon fiber is fine, but I think that titanium would be a better choice for the conditions in which I ride.
I've been with one bike shop, which is an authorized Lynskey dealer, but I hav no confidence in their service department. My new shop is smaller, but the technicians are really great. The new shop deals with Scott, Cannondale and Giant. From your experience with working with local bike shops, do you think my new shop would co-operate and build up a Lynskey even though they normally don't sell them? Would this be like walking into a Chevy dealership and wanting to buy a Ford? Oh, I currently have an aluminum frame with a carbon fiber fork and seat stays.
Old 09-20-12, 07:32 AM
manutd
Treble Member

Bikes: '07 Cervelo P2C, '12 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized TriCross Comp.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure that if you are buying the parts and paying for service they won't have any issues building up a frame from another shop. THey'll make more money than if you bought a complete bike from them.

Especially if you order an expensive wheel set from them.

Last edited by manutd; 09-20-12 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-20-12, 08:09 AM
Aeolis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ther are last bike and than there are last bikes, which is this to be?
Old 09-20-12, 08:26 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
A good bike shop should be happy to charge you labor to do any bike work on any bike you bring them.
Old 09-20-12, 09:18 AM
Equinox

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Aeolis
Ther are last bike and than there are last bikes, which is this to be?
I think I know what you mean. I decided on a Ti frame because I think it will last longer than me. The components will be the best that I'm willing to pay for. For example, the electronic shifting is the state of the art right now, but I'm fine with a good (excellent) mechanical system. It won't exactly be a "dream"bike, but I can't afford and don't really need that. Is that what you meant?
Old 09-20-12, 09:41 AM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
A good bike shop should be happy to charge you labor to do any bike work on any bike you bring them.
+1 - Very few bike shops carry titanium bikes/framesets. These are normally special order or made to the customer's measurements (custom.) They should have no issue putting the bike together for you using your parts, parts purchased from them and/or parts purchased somewhere else (if they don't carry something.) They will simply charge you a labor fee to do this. Do try to spend a nice chunk of change on parts to keep them happy. Call them ahead of time to let them know about your plans, find out about costs and to schedule an appointment. They will be happy.

BTW, nice choice on frameset! Are you getting it with natural Ti finish or painted? Looking forward to the pics in a few weeks.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 09-20-12 at 09:49 AM.