Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shipping a bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Shipping a bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-14, 10:08 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Shipping a bike

I happened on an ebay exchange between a seller and potential buyer of a bike. The potential buyer asked if the seller would ship to Portugal. The seller wrote he would not but if the potential buyer wanted to have a company pick it up and do the work, he was fine with it.

I can't imagine a pickup/packaging/shipping service to be cheap. And yes, it would deter potential buyers. But packing and arranging shipment takes time and materials, any and every company in the world will charge for the time and materials, as they should.

But buyers will get their knickers in a twist if a seller dares to ask $5 more than the actual FedEx/UPS/USPS cost. They expect the seller to provide the service for "free".

Personally, I build that cost into the minimum price I will accept for the bike. But that screws the guy who is willing to do a local pick up. So what do you think is best for a seller? Bury shipping costs into the bike price or put it on the buyer to arrange for shipping?
Old 03-09-14, 10:15 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Thrifty Bill is likes to include "free shipping" in his BIN price. I run 50-50. I think if you add a line which says, "shipping includes packing materials and handling costs, which would not be incurred with local pickup," you've disclosed what you can disclose. Or alternatively, build it into your base price and say, "Upon local pickup buyers will be rebated for packing and handling charges," hand them $20 when they show up and watch them glow!
Old 03-09-14, 10:19 AM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I think that seller was unwilling to take the risks of shipping overseas so he put the risk back onto the buyer. When it leaves the seller's door, he's done. If I were selling a bike on e-bay I'd say I will not sell outside the continental USA and I would charge enough for shipping to reasonably cover my expected packaging and freight costs plus insurance. The buyer who can pick up locally avoids the shipping costs.
Old 03-09-14, 10:20 AM
Singlespd
FireStarter

Bikes: Your Mom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, handling means packing materials and your time. Not everyone has a shipping department at their disposal. @oddjob2 is exactly right and has a perfect idea. I agree that if it is disclosed and they don't like it then they can move on to the next bike. No one is forcing them to buy it.
Old 03-09-14, 10:35 AM
iab

Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
I think that seller was unwilling to take the risks of shipping overseas so he put the risk back onto the buyer. When it leaves the seller's door, he's done. If I were selling a bike on e-bay I'd say I will not sell outside the continental USA and I would charge enough for shipping to reasonably cover my expected packaging and freight costs plus insurance. The buyer who can pick up locally avoids the shipping costs.
I ship anywhere, across the state or across the world. I am not the one driving the truck so it is no skin off of my back. Risk happens when humans are handling the package, not when it is in on the truck or plane. The cargo hold is safe whether the package is in there 2 hours or 20 hours.
Old 03-09-14, 10:42 AM
iab

Originally Posted by Singlespd
Yes, handling means packing materials and your time. Not everyone has a shipping department at their disposal. @oddjob2 is exactly right and has a perfect idea. I agree that if it is disclosed and they don't like it then they can move on to the next bike. No one is forcing them to buy it.
I like oddjobs approach too, but I am curious to determine what's best for me as the seller, a "high" bike price with "free" shipping, or a "medium" bike price with "actual" shipping, or a "low" bike price with "high" shipping+handling. To me, the total is the total but I have known plenty of others on this forum and elsewhere to get upset about the $0.01 bike price and $500 shipping cost.
Old 03-09-14, 10:43 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Forum member Khatfull does my packing for me in a most thorough and professional manner.

I know then that this task is spot on for quality control.

This is not a free service and you get what you pay for.

I split this charge with the buyer as a distinct line item and is a separate charge.
Old 03-09-14, 10:59 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I have only purchased on 'bay so I always review the shipping cost and calculate if the grand total still makes the opportunity worthwhile on a complete bike.
What makes me think are beyond that are a few things:

When the shipping and handling is too cheap, I get worried.
When the seller states: "to be professionally packaged by a local bike shop" that spells terror from my personal experience.
A reasonable packaging fee is to me expected, the seller will have a better attitude about the effort.
Very few do this on a regular basis and it takes time.
Overseas shipments are especially tricky, size limits really place a whole added complexity to the problem.
It can be solved pretty well, but thinking and time are required.

On stuff smaller than bikes or wheels I think it is not that hard and have seen a wide array of success and failure.
Most recently was a pair of Campagnolo brake pads and holders, sent from overseas, 6 weeks later the thin letter sized ENVELOPE arrived.
Torn and empty with a "we care" over envelope from the USPS. They munched it, but the concept that it would make it packaged that way is beyond me. Due to the time, that was a total loss.
Old 03-09-14, 11:50 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Personally, I build that cost into the minimum price I will accept for the bike. But that screws the guy who is willing to do a local pick up. So what do you think is best for a seller? Bury shipping costs into the bike price or put it on the buyer to arrange for shipping?
+1. I bury my the cost into the price of the bike. In most instances it's a flat $85....if I have an exceptional bike that's going in a Madone box and needs a lot of insurance I'll bury up to $150 into the price.

Local pick up buyers get a Paypal refund for $50-ish dollars.
Old 03-09-14, 11:52 AM
miamijim

Originally Posted by iab
I like oddjobs approach too, but I am curious to determine what's best for me as the seller, a "high" bike price with "free" shipping.
High w/ free shipping is best.

Free shipping automatically gets you '5 stars'
Old 03-09-14, 01:33 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
High w/ free shipping is best.

Free shipping automatically gets you '5 stars'
Exactly. Jim nailed it. If you are going to sell routinely on ebay, top rated seller status is the way to go. 100 sales a year, minimum of $1000, that's only two items a week. What do you get in return? 20% off ebay final price fees, and 20% to 30% off shipping.

Unfortunately, you have to maintain high detailed seller ratings to keep your top rated seller discounts.

Buyers whine about shipping, so take away that headache and offer free shipping. Adjust price upward accordingly.

+1 To Jim's tip below, PRINT the label within 24 hours, does not have to be shipped that quick. Gives you breathing room to do the packing.

Last edited by wrk101; 03-09-14 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-09-14, 03:11 PM
miamijim

Originally Posted by wrk101
Exactly. Jim nailed it. If you are going to sell routinely on ebay, top rated seller status is the way to go. 100 sales a year, minimum of $1000, that's only two items a week. What do you get in return? 20% off ebay final price fees, and 20% to 30% off shipping.

Unfortunately, you have to maintain high detailed seller ratings to keep your top rated seller discounts.

Buyers whine about shipping, so take away that headache and offer free shipping. Adjust price upward accordingly.

Other tips for 5 star ratings....

Communication: Never. I mean never communicate with your buyer. If NO communication takes place its an automatic 5 stars.
Shipping time: Print your labels within 24 hours and its an automatic 5 stars. You don't to ship within 24 hours....just print the label!!
Old 03-09-14, 06:07 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I list the price, and then the shipping cost Con US. If I've guessed wrong, my bad; if I'm under, OK-the buyer agreed to the S&H. When they ask if I'll ship overseas, I say "sure, I'll send you the actual shipping charge, and then you decide."

I've only had one problem, and he was trying to milk the deal. Buyer was in Australia, wanted a Merlin frame for his son. Shipping is determined by the size of the box (108" limit) with a weight limit of 70 lbs. I agreed to ship to Australia. He wanted to "consolidate" shipping, and pretty soon, items were arriving at my house that "should fit in the same box." They did, at 68 lbs, and shipping was $203. He balked, and I pointed out it was $203 no matter the weight, and there were about 25 items in the box. I told him either pay the shipping or I keep the frame and every single item as well, refund only his payment for the frame. He even called from there, wanted me to split shipping. When I pointed out that the shipping was $8 per item, he seemed to understand, and the deal went through. His son won the Juniors the next year on the Merlin (with full Campy) and I'll never do that again.

I have found shipping and receiving to Asia to be about the easiest. Europe seems to take forever.