Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Member seeking info

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New Member seeking info

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 02:42 PM
Slial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Danmozy66
Slial
Hi Scott, I am in the exact same place as you in terms of starting out around here and beginning my head-first journey down the rabbit hole of classic Italian bikes. It's nice to such find like-minded folk!

I too am in the process of looking for my first bike and am trying to absorb as much information as possible along the way. Here's my secret trick - when I find see something that catches my eye on my local CL or FB Marketplace, I search the bike on google, immediately followed by the word 'bikeforums' and I am almost always able to glean the info I need from here. It is actually remarkable the breadth of knowledge that is around these parts (thank you everyone).

Re: posting pictures, a few days ago I finally decided to create my an account (after admittedly using the forums for years) and I wanted to post an ad in the marketplace section here seeking a pre 1987 italian made bike with high end columbus tubing. Although it looks like you're at about 8 posts already, but what I did was a paid member subscription (it was super cheap!) and it allowed me to post pictures straight away.

Best of luck!
Dan
Thanks for for pointers and heads-up Dan. Yes a membership is a great option too. Hadn’t thought of that yet but it makes sense to pay for the knowledge up front and perhaps establish some good vintage bike karma in the process!
Likes For Slial:
Old 06-26-20, 07:28 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Welcome aboard, one question though.

What is this, "Choosing One", of which you speak? We know not of this concept here, N+1 is the motto we live by.

If you haven't already checked the sites, Velobase Velobase website, Classic Rendezvous Classic Rendezvous website and Classic Lightweights Classic Lightweights, they have a lot of good information about most any marque you can come up with.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-26-20, 07:33 PM
Slial

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bill,

Considering the vast quantity of amazing bikes and my track record in other hobbies, I don’t know what I was thinking when I typed that...I fully recognize that finding one will simply be futile.
Old 06-26-20, 07:39 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Now you're talking our language, resistance is futile and escape is impossible. I thought that a single C&V ride would suffice, now its two completed and two on my workbench to get done. I'm a sick man, need another drink, errrrr, bike

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 06-26-20 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-29-20, 03:24 PM
Slial

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Got a look at an early 80s Cinelli today, Campagnolo Record group. Very very nice bike.

Pros:

-it’s a Cinelli with 3 dot lugs
-it’s a beautifully made bike
-Campagnolo Record Group (mostly)
-it’s Ferrari red
-it’s local enough (not in Europe!)

Cons:

-it’s a repaint, albeit a good one I think
-it has some road rash in a couple of spots
-price seems a little high for entry level Campagnolo, but I could be wrong
-brake calipers and levers are not Campy

Last edited by Slial; 06-29-20 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 06-29-20, 03:42 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
remember -

it does NOT have to be old
to be
Classic Lugged Italian

and several storied builders have offerings.

example = https://www.bottecchia.com/en/modelli/leggendaria

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-29-20 at 03:52 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 06-29-20, 03:57 PM
Slial

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
it does NOT have to be old
to be
Classic Lugged Italian

and several storied builders have offerings.

example = https://www.bottecchia.com/en/modelli/leggendaria
Totally understood...that does get back to my personality and affinity for vintage things. I certainly appreciate and won’t rule out new offerings (as long as they aren’t made in China).
Old 06-30-20, 08:14 AM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
There's Battaglin too:
https://officinabattaglin.com/produc...s/marosticana/
Old 07-01-20, 09:57 AM
Danmozy66

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Sequoia, 1995 KHS Montana

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Slial
Thanks for for pointers and heads-up Dan. Yes a membership is a great option too. Hadn’t thought of that yet but it makes sense to pay for the knowledge up front and perhaps establish some good vintage bike karma in the process!
i.e. I think it was only $2 to be honest!
Old 07-02-20, 07:41 AM
Slial

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Of all the bikes currently available (locally and online), and trust me I’m doing my best to be as patient as possible and NOT rush, I have whittled then list to a sort of manageable 3 or 4 bikes. But honestly, choosing from here seems completely futile! Original and ready to ride condition vs vintage restoration, earlier bike with correct (but likely inferior performance) components vs slightly later full Campy, etc.

I do feel confident I couldn’t go wrong with any, but choosing remains a challenge! This is where buying 2 or 3 to start would be awesome, but my wife would go completely mental.
Old 07-02-20, 08:43 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Spouse going completely mental = It helps prepare them for your old age eccentricities.
Old 07-02-20, 09:06 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
I often think I am mental. I think it is because of my wifes comments. I don't let it get in the way. An example is my De Rosa build, https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-rosa-pro.html. She doesn't know it exists. But then it is easy to hide amongst the herd
P1000599, on Flickr

If I could afford it and it was my size, I would not hesitate on that Cinelli. Nearly everything I want on that one. Chrome lugs are my downfall along with being Italian. Bright color doesn't hurt either.

BTW: Record is hardly entry level. It was the top of the line back in the day!

Last edited by SJX426; 07-02-20 at 09:12 AM.
Likes For SJX426:
Old 07-02-20, 10:30 AM
Slial

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
I often think I am mental. I think it is because of my wifes comments. I don't let it get in the way. An example is my De Rosa build, https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-rosa-pro.html. She doesn't know it exists. But then it is easy to hide amongst the herd
P1000599, on Flickr

If I could afford it and it was my size, I would not hesitate on that Cinelli. Nearly everything I want on that one. Chrome lugs are my downfall along with being Italian. Bright color doesn't hurt either.

BTW: Record is hardly entry level. It was the top of the line back in the day!
Agreed on the Cinelli. My reference to “entry level”
was on another bike that happens to be in Europe. Lovely original paint and components, 60s vintage. The entry level refers to the fact that some period correct components are likely considered to be inferior to the Campy stuff that came later (70s and beyond). Then my head starts swirling with deciding what’s best...said 60’s all original bike, 70’s fully restored Galmozzi, that Cinelli pictured above, among a few others. If I already had a couple of bikes it might be easier...but looking for a first makes choosing one over others more challenging!
Old 07-02-20, 11:26 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26383 Post(s)
Liked 10,364 Times in 7,196 Posts

Cons:

-it’s a repaint, albeit a good one I think
-it has some road rash in a couple of spots
-price seems a little high for entry level Campagnolo, but I could be wrong
-brake calipers and levers are not Campy
...Cinelli bikes get repainted all the time. The paint and chrome on them is ephemeral, like a lot of Italian bikes.
After I touched up mine in spots, I clear coated the entire thing (except the chrome) in 2 part urethane, because I want to ride it and now worry about it.

I have no idea what you mean by "entry level Campagnolo". That was more or less top of the line for Campy when that bike was made.

Brakes and levers are often changed out on 70's/ 80's bikes to take advantage of modern dual pivot calipers and more comfortable, ergonomic levers.
I've done the same myself on a couple of bikes, and plan on doing it on a 70's Colnago Super I'm in the process of putting back on the road. I'll use Campy levers, but remove the branding on dual pivot caliper brakes.

Agreed on the Cinelli. My reference to “entry level”
was on another bike that happens to be in Europe. Lovely original paint and components, 60s vintage. The entry level refers to the fact that some period correct components are likely considered to be inferior to the Campy stuff that came later (70s and beyond). Then my head starts swirling with deciding what’s best...said 60’s all original bike, 70’s fully restored Galmozzi, that Cinelli pictured above, among a few others. If I already had a couple of bikes it might be easier...but looking for a first makes choosing one over others more challenging!
...new people used to start threads like this all the time ten years ago. They tend to like the shopping experience. I have a cousin like this, and she drives me nuts. Can't buy anything without checking out every possible alternative option. There are a lot of fine bikes out there in the used marketplace. Some of them are bargains. Tire kickers never get to ride them. Sometimes, you just have to take the leap and see what happens. Chalk it up as how you learn.

Good luck.
Old 07-02-20, 11:36 AM
Slial

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...Cinelli bikes get repainted all the time. The paint and chrome on them is ephemeral, like a lot of Italian bikes.
After I touched up mine in spots, I clear coated the entire thing (except the chrome) in 2 part urethane, because I want to ride it and now worry about it.

I have no idea what you mean by "entry level Campagnolo". That was more or less top of the line for Campy when that bike was made.

Brakes and levers are often changed out on 70's/ 80's bikes to take advantage of modern dual pivot calipers and more comfortable, ergonomic levers.
I've done the same myself on a couple of bikes, and plan on doing it on a 70's Colnago Super I'm in the process of putting back on the road. I'll use Campy levers, but remove the branding on dual pivot caliper brakes.

...new people used to start threads like this all the time ten years ago. They tend to like the shopping experience. I have a cousin like this, and she drives me nuts. Can't buy anything without checking out every possible alternative option. There are a lot of fine bikes out there in the used marketplace. Some of them are bargains. Tire kickers never get to ride them. Sometimes, you just have to take the leap and see what happens. Chalk it up as how you learn.

Good luck.
Totally fair points...

The entry level comment, and apologies for the inadvertent oxymoronic reference, regarded Record or Nuovo Record on a bike that was made in a period when Super Record was available. My bad if that was poorly worded.

As for the shopping exercise, I suspect I’m more than a tire kicker in the eyes of sellers, but agree that waiting for the “perfect first bike” might disappoint regardless of the eventual outcome.
Old 07-02-20, 01:27 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
Slial Which one isn't a bad choice! If you get one the right size, play with it for final setup, you may turn into a flipper because most will not be as good!

Now that I have for Italian bikes, I can start riding them in rotation to see which, if any ends up being a favorite and why. It may not be the ride. It might be the drive train. Don't know till you do it.
Old 07-02-20, 01:49 PM
Slial

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Slial Which one isn't a bad choice! If you get one the right size, play with it for final setup, you may turn into a flipper because most will not be as good!

Now that I have for Italian bikes, I can start riding them in rotation to see which, if any ends up being a favorite and why. It may not be the ride. It might be the drive train. Don't know till you do it.
Good point. Might be best to have a few cocktails, lose all my judgment and just commit to 3 bikes! I just don’t have a great place to hide the 2 extras, but it would be awesome to have a pair or trio to tinker with. In defense of that argument, most modern higher end bikes cost as much as 2 or 3 of the vintage bikes I’m entertaining!
Old 07-02-20, 01:57 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
This.

OP, pick one (I'd say the one you are least likely to find for sale again anytime soon) and start riding it. You will not know what is "perfect", or what you really want, until you start riding (and wrenching). What kind of riding are you intending to do? Where? Do you plan to do a lot of mechanical work yourself? Some of us enjoy working on bikes as much as riding them...
Old 07-02-20, 02:07 PM
Slial

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
This.

OP, pick one (I'd say the one you are least likely to find for sale again anytime soon) and start riding it. You will not know what is "perfect", or what you really want, until you start riding (and wrenching). What kind of riding are you intending to do? Where? Do you plan to do a lot of mechanical work yourself? Some of us enjoy working on bikes as much as riding them...
Yes hoping to do much of my own tinkering and mechanical stuff in addition to riding as often as possible. My riding will be in the Northeast.
Old 07-02-20, 02:13 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Yes hoping to do much of my own tinkering and mechanical stuff in addition to riding as often as possible. My riding will be in the Northeast.
Ok. Urban, rural, suburban? All weather?
Old 07-02-20, 02:25 PM
Slial

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Ok. Urban, rural, suburban? All weather?
I would say suburban and urban, yet pretty unlikely i will ride in our Winters up here. Not so much for me but for the bikes!