Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Brooks B67 for touring vs B17 or Flyer

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Brooks B67 for touring vs B17 or Flyer

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-18, 06:07 PM
COBikeLover
Banned.

Bikes: Trek DS 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boomhauer
This has been my experience almost exactly.
Not exactly sure what this is about but my B67 seems to have harder leather and the Flyer has softer leather.
I've done 1500 mile tours on both so I do have experience.
I have been trying to grasp in my mind the logical physics or mechanics behind why this is so, and probably due to ignorance on the subject in general, I am grasping for straws to come up with an explanation other than "more leather" in general spread out over a bigger region?? But my gut tells me this isn't correct so I am baffled. I honestly would say that this is two completely different types of leather. It is night and day between the difference, and I was putting a lot of miles in a very short amount of time on both seats and don't understand the drastic difference between the two. In fact, with the B67 I was putting in a lot more miles on average daily than I am on the Flyer and still was hard as a rock when I passed it off to someone else. With the Flyer, I am already trying to figure out how to use the adjustment screw and learn how to dial in my bum to it now but this part is new to me.

Last edited by COBikeLover; 07-05-18 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-04-18, 07:37 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
It is a roll of the dice. I have five Conquests, four of which I bought new. Some were harder leather than others. The most recent one I bought was as hard as a chunk of concrete.

It is best to leave the adjustment alone. As you use the saddle more you might need to tighten it a bit, but trying to dial it in to what you like is not likely to work that well.

If you eventually develop a squeaking sound, in the front part of the saddle there are some places where metal rubs on metal as you load and unload the saddle. I use Brooks Proofide quite sparingly on those metal to metal contact points as a lubricating grease.
Old 07-05-18, 09:46 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I also think its a bit of luck of the draw and how one applies (doesnt apply) proofhide and or sweats. I say that because I'm pretty sure a particular trip where I did several long days in hot weather and perspired a lot helped to shape my saddle.

I like my squeaking because it only occurs when I begin spinning with little resistance and start to bounce. It acts like an analog indicator to shift up

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-05-18 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-05-18, 05:01 PM
COBikeLover
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
It is best to leave the adjustment alone. As you use the saddle more you might need to tighten it a bit, but trying to dial it in to what you like is not likely to work that well.
Probably valid point. I made an adjustment, rode for a bit, didn't notice anything, put it back where it was. Didn't notice anything. Haven't messed with it since.
Old 07-05-18, 05:12 PM
COBikeLover
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Ok. Believe it or not I'm actually trying to work with you here by providing a way to think about selecting a saddle based on more than looking at pictures or winging it.
OK...I believe you.

There are youtube videos and websites that tell one how to DIY measure that sit bone distance and many shops have devices that will measure it as well.
Do you have a specific good one without having to search that you are aware of? I will do a search later today for this. If you don't have one, don't worry, I can research it...pretty good at that. And if I find something good, I will come back and post it.

I been thinking about this post a lot. If this is my biggest contact point I have, then I should probably know that measurement more than any other measurement on my bike and have a solid understanding of this.

A "Specialized" dealer will probably have a gel board you sit on that gives you a number that corresponds to their own number system for saddles.
I really loathe going in and speaking with bicycle shops about anything. So what is the best DIY available to me if this is not an option for me?

Yes, I could have spent more time researching the specifics about bone width versus seat, but at the time, I was on a terrible seat causing severe pain consistently and was under the gun to make a decision with information I had available. It's difficult finding a balance on knowledge because the rabbit hole always seems to go deeper...
Old 07-06-18, 09:32 AM
Happy Feet

I am out of town at the moment and don't know how to make links from my cell but look at:the menu at this website for a start:

Art's Cyclery>
learning center>
how to fit

They describe a simple process of sitting on corrigated cardboard. (There are other steps as well). Pretty straight forward. When I return I'll add the link.
Old 07-06-18, 10:16 AM
mletts

Bikes: 1983 Jamis Dakota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by COBikeLover
I wanted to specifically create a thread for this topic because there wasn't much conversation or opinions on the matter out there when I was looking for information. This way there is a thread that folks can add to over time if they have similar questions or experience with it also.

The question I was asking, "Is the Brooks B67 good for touring compared to the Brooks B17 (or Flyer)?"

The few opinions that were out there had left me with the impression that a Brooks B67 might be a good saddle for touring and/or lots of miles in general compared to the B17 or Flyer. So I went ahead and purchased a Brooks B67 without any prior experience with any of these saddles before. In my opinion, that was a mistake for the amount of miles/kilometers I am putting an average of about 30-50 miles (50-80 kilometers) a day in, with rides often exceeding those miles, and the B67 is just too uncomfortable in certain spots when you are putting in that many miles. When you are upright the seat is comfortable, but I struggled with chaffing and a perpetual sore that I could not shake because of how wide the seat is and the extra flange that comes up on the bike due to the extra width.

I received a Flyer today and tried that out and I could notice the difference immediately after one long ride. When you are putting in that many miles, I just don't see how the B67 can be comfortable long term, and that is with wearing padded shorts the entire time. It creates a problem just outside the padding on your bum where the difference in the B67 wideness takes place. For some strange reason the Flyer doesn't seem as spongee as the B67 either.

I have also heard people claim in other threads about these seats and the spring "squeaking." I don't have this problem with either seat and they are both very quiet compared to some things I have seen others say about them.

After I get some more miles in I will update this if anything changes...but if you are unsure of which seat to get for touring between the B67 or the B17 or the Flyer and posting the same questions to Google, then this thread is for you. I would definitely go with the B17 or the Flyer for long miles in general or touring. I guess the other thing I realized "after" is that when you are looking at all the pictures of touring bikes in general, it is extremely rare to see a B67 on one of them. There must be a reason for this. If the B67 really was that comfortable or more comfortable then folks would be using them more on touring bikes. But they are not and I made a purchased based on a small minority recommendations instead of just looking at what the norm is.

Add any other feedback you might have as time goes on. I just wanted this thread up so nobody makes the same mistake I did if they have no prior knowledge with these seats either.
Like other people have pointed out already, in my experience, the B67 is great for riding in an upright position; however, the B17 feels better when leaning forward, which characterizes most road, touring, and mountain bikes. Your pain is likely due to the width of the B67. As I remember, the B67 is considerably wider, especially in the back, as compared to the B17. Consequently, the B67, by design, won't conform to the shape of your sitting bones like a B17 will after many miles.
Old 05-23-19, 11:48 AM
BikinHowd
Old Man On A Bike

Bikes: Too many to list...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That surprises me 100+km's a day on a "mountain bike" on B67. I was doing similar and since I changed over to the flyer I couldn't be happier. There are aspects I did like about the B67 for complete upright position but overall for combined positions, I just couldn't find the same comfort.
Notice the picture of his "converted mtb" - just because he rides it in the mountains doesn't make it a mountain bike... LOL... that bike doesn't even appear to have front suspension, so it's not even a hardtail... I'd call his bike a hybrid... just sayin'
Old 05-23-19, 12:01 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by BikinHowd
Notice the picture of his "converted mtb" - just because he rides it in the mountains doesn't make it a mountain bike... LOL... that bike doesn't even appear to have front suspension, so it's not even a hardtail... I'd call his bike a hybrid... just sayin'
I guess you weren't around for the 80s were you. Way to resurrect an almost year old thread with an uninformed opinion.
Old 05-23-19, 06:22 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by BikinHowd
Welcome to Bike Forums BikinHowd. I will chalk most of your observations to being young and uneducated. I've been riding steady for 50 years so I've seen a bit of history unfold.

It is indeed a mountain bike, a 1992 Marin Pine Mountain to be exact. You can find the catalog specs here: Pine Mountain | Marin Catalogue 1992 | Retrobike

At the time most mtb's were both rigid frame and fork, and (happily for many budget tour cyclists) often with similar geometry and material components that make them good loaded touring platforms. This bike in particular has served me well over the years running the gambit of several conversions, most recently with the addition of a low travel suspension fork that oddly came off what might be considered a Hybrid bike (an e bike).

26" bikes are almost never referred to as hybrids though. That is a term that was coined in the 90's for 700c bikes that tried to bridge the gap between road and trail use. What people today would call gravel bikes but with a more upright flat bar look. Older 26" bikes were referred to as All Terrain Bikes - ATB's (actually the original term for MTB's) and this bike would certainly fit into that category. As well as the original purpose made mtbs, they have also been used as platforms for commuter, touring, gravel, utility and drop bar conversions.

A bit more history. The technical downhill mtb's of today bear little resemblance to the original atb/mtb but they were considered a godsend of innovation at the time because they offered something other than the dropbar ten speed. Before 1982-84 off road riders converted (there's that word again) cruisers and other bike frames, sometimes with motocross bars into what were called "Klunkers" to do what they called "repack riding" (because they had to repack the brake drum with grease after a long downhill ride). This new fad centered around Marin County CA - where the Marin bike company gets it's name. Tom Ritchey just did a pod cast where he talks about how he also did gravel bike riding in the Sierra Nevada's then and how the two emerging genres cross pollinated.

Around 82/84 builders like Ritchey and bike companies began putting out purpose build mtb bikes for off road. The geometry was better than road geometry and they had flat bars instead of drops. They were still pretty sketchy as they often poached road components like caliper brakes or 2x5 drivetrains and they were overbuilt and heavy. By the end of the 80's though high quality mtb's were being made by all the major players for a niche that grew and grew and the rest is history.

Here's a link to a recent day trip we did using the bike that ran the spectrum from paved - gravel - singletrack - no track: https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...er-valley.html

Note I still use the B67 seat

Last edited by Happy Feet; 05-24-19 at 05:17 PM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 05-24-19, 07:12 PM
travgott

Bikes: vintage raleigh, bbf retro, vintage gitane, trek antelope, steel is real

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
that was a very interesting and informative bit of history there. thanks! and nice bike this thread sure took a turn tho...
Likes For travgott:
Old 12-28-19, 12:58 PM
spinconn

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Since this is an old thread I hope I will be excused for bringing it back with a slightly different question but this discussion bears on an issue I have. I am turning my Trek Marlin hardtail into a touring bike and am now researching saddles. I do not know a lot about bike geometry but it is my impression that the frame geometry of a classic touring bike will differ from that of a hardtail MTB. I had just about decided to buy a Brooks England Flyer but this discussion makes me wonder.

Is there some reason the Flyer would not be a good choice for a MTB such as mine?
Old 12-28-19, 08:40 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
Since this is an old thread I hope I will be excused for bringing it back with a slightly different question but this discussion bears on an issue I have. I am turning my Trek Marlin hardtail into a touring bike and am now researching saddles. I do not know a lot about bike geometry but it is my impression that the frame geometry of a classic touring bike will differ from that of a hardtail MTB. I had just about decided to buy a Brooks England Flyer but this discussion makes me wonder.

Is there some reason the Flyer would not be a good choice for a MTB such as mine?
It would depend on what you want to do. If you actually want to mountain bike on the bike, just about any Brooks is inappropriate in my experience. They are all too wide to get off the saddle properly when on anything technical. The saddles are also very slick. The
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-28-19, 09:47 PM
spinconn

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
It would depend on what you want to do. If you actually want to mountain bike on the bike, just about any Brooks is inappropriate in my experience. They are all too wide to get off the saddle properly when on anything technical. The saddles are also very slick. The
No, nothing technical. Just relatively smooth double track as well as rails trails and hard bike path trails. I do not know for sure but my guess is my position on the bike is more like a 60 degree angle than one more aggressive or more upright, but I think a true touring bike probably has a longer wheelbase and smaller wheels (my bike is a 29er), if that matters.
Old 12-29-19, 01:43 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn

How have you set up the old mtb handlebar height wise? I have a flyer I use on a commuter with roughly seat and bars at same height and as the flyer is similar to a b17 shape, it works as well generally as the b17's I have on other bikes with similar seat to bars height setups.

As a light rider, I found the springs to be rather stiff, they have seemed to soften a bit after lots of riding and do take the edge off pothole edge whacks a bit.
They are pretty heavy though, close to twice my lightest b17 if I recall, weighed them all once.
Old 12-29-19, 02:02 AM
Happy Feet

Looked up the Trek Marlin 7 and it appears to be a pretty upright hardtail. While any saddle can fit any bike there are a couple of notes about the Flyer and Brooks in general.

1. The flyer is sprung and pretty heavy. A little out of place on a modern bike like that.
2. It, the B67 and the B17 are all leather. On an mtb that will go off road that may or may not be a good idea. If you are stuck on Brooks perhaps look at the C series line. They come in sizes and design from the B17 style to an upright model. Scroll down the page a bit to see the C series saddles https://www.brooksengland.com/en_row/saddles.html

While I like Brooks leather saddles for touring I don't really feel the need for one until I'm doing higher mileage or longer hours. Until then there are a lot of other options that may be lighter and more weather resistant.

I posted this before but will again as it gives a good guide as to posture for the Brooks C line.

I recently swapped out my B67 on my fatbike because I started doing a lot more mtbing with it and I worried about water damage. I bought a Fabric Scoop saddle instead. On their website you can look at various models and note the posture icons in the lower right hand corner of each window. That gives some indication of the style and posture it suits. https://fabric.cc/products/saddles/

Last edited by Happy Feet; 12-29-19 at 02:09 AM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 12-29-19, 07:20 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I posted this before but will again as it gives a good guide as to posture for the Brooks C line...
Thanks for posting that. I've been looking for information on how the various Brooks models compare to each other, and this is helpful.
Old 12-29-19, 02:15 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Thanks for posting that. I've been looking for information on how the various Brooks models compare to each other, and this is helpful.
lightest B17 428g
C17 421g
Flyer 867g

Old 08-13-20, 02:07 AM
pubcat

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Resurrecting a 10 year old thread?

It's interesting that all the conversations I have seen saying anything about the two don't address the issue of what to do if you don't sit upright, but have a wide sit bone gap.
B17 is too Narrow, B67 looks like a raw thigh party for touring at 60º or less. I wish Brooks made a B19 (B17 style at the wider C19 width).
Is anyone else in the same boat? Sit bone width >140mm, riding angle <60º
What did you find worked for you?
Old 08-13-20, 06:08 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
My sitbones are at 141mm. So far..the most comfortable saddle for me is a Brooks B17/Imperial (B17 with a cutout). Followed by a B17 standard, followed by a C17 cutout. C17 standard..doesn't work for me..but I keep trying.

I'm interested in trying a Flyer at some point..looking for one at the right price..
Old 08-13-20, 09:25 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I really like the upright position and was for the most part comfortable on the B67. If I was doing around town kind of thing on a regular basis, under 30 miles, or had a great cruiser, I would put it back on my bike for sure. I just couldn't get it to work with that many miles no matter how long I spent trying to get the right adjustment.

My experience exactly. The B67 was my first Brooks. Very comfortable out of the box and around town. Then I went on a 1500 mile tour and received the same abrasions you described. I used trekking bars so I wasn't completely upright at the time. I also had aerobars to fight the great plains head winds. This is where the trouble started.

I agree with you......lack of information before my purchase.

This seat is now on my town bike.......and yes, I sit completely upright and it is very comfortable.
Old 08-14-20, 04:10 AM
pubcat

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boomhauer
My experience exactly. The B67 was my first Brooks. Very comfortable out of the box and around town. Then I went on a 1500 mile tour and received the same abrasions you described. I used trekking bars so I wasn't completely upright at the time. I also had aerobars to fight the great plains head winds. This is where the trouble started.

I agree with you......lack of information before my purchase.

This seat is now on my town bike.......and yes, I sit completely upright and it is very comfortable.
Thanks guys. I tried my husband's b17 for a few hours today and my sit bones are part riding on the metal rails, so I must be wider than 141 mm or something else to do with my ischial angle. It was, however, much more comfortable than the excruciating Selle Italia Diva - nah yah, from second hand to the next second hand! I think I need to rule out the B67 as well, at least for this bike.

I am thinking of trying the Selle Royal Scientia M3. If I can get one for sale around here I will report back on whether it turns out to be any good for long rides.
Old 08-14-20, 08:28 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
A bit of trivia for those following in others tire prints........
My Ogre rocks a Flyer Special saddle but the black springs didn't appeal to my sense of aesthetic.
I found the B67 chrome ones appear to have fitted just fine as a straight swap.
The chrome ones are available new and I got mine from SJS cycles in the UK if memory serves.
Maybe best to be aware they come in a left and right hand side.