Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Simplex SX410 interchange question and other ramblings..

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-20, 07:20 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,262 Times in 602 Posts

Well I've jumped into the world of French bikes head first it seems. Back in July I bought a rough '72/'73 Gitane Interclub, 2 weeks ago I bought a neglected but original '81 Peugeot PXN10 and last night I closed a deal on a rough PRN10 frameset and misc. pieces which included a rough looking but functional SX410 short cage RD. This morning I picked up a late 70's UO8 for parts with a claw mounted long cage SX410 RD and the rear wheel had been replaced with a Rigida black label 27 X 1-1/4 eyeleted aluminum rim on a QR Normandy high flange hub. My SX410 question is this, can I swap the mounting bolts between the 2 RD's and make the long cage a bolt on and the short cage the claw mount? I want to gear the PRN10 to handle the hills around hear without straining my already shot knees too much so I need the long cage for it and of course it has the infamous Simplex DO which I do NOT plan to modify. The short cage would get the claw mount and probably end up on the Gitane Interclub in place of the Chinese monstrosity hanging off it. Hey, it has a red pulley so it's at least "fast", I wonder if that red pulley will fit a Simplex?

Also, anybody out there have a matching orphan Rigida black label 27 X 1-1/4 eyeleted aluminum rim or front wheel with a QR Normandy high flange hub they want to part with?

Last edited by Murray Missile; 10-31-20 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-01-20, 05:22 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
I think if you take a look at your sx with and your sx without you'll see that aside from the claw they are the same, so yes.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 11-01-20, 06:02 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
So congratulations for joining the French bike club.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nch-bikes.html

You have a bunch of options here.

1. Stronglight bottom brackets have excellent interchangeability with stronglight cranks. You could for example with your PXN 10 swap the 106 crank that came stock on it with a stronglight 99 and run a compact crank. Chainrings are available from Spa cycles in the UK plus second hand. I'm running 47/32 rings on a 99 on one of my bikes but you could go as low as 28 on the inside. Also the drop out on the PXN 10 will take a campy style derailleur if you like.
2. The PRN 10 frame would match nicely with a stronglight 99 crank. It came stock with a stronglight 49D crank I believe which also has decent interchangeability on rings but the a stronglight 99 will be easier to track down and rings easier to find.
3. I dunno if your attempt to swap out the mounting bolts on the two SX410 RDs will work. There are a few threads on this. My recollection is that the claw mounted simplex RDs will not work properly without the claw on a simplex RD. But why not just use long cage suntour or shimano RD on the PRN 10? Also if you have a shimano crane GS lying around, it will work on that simplex drop out.
4. The SX 410 can comfortably handle up to 30 teeth. That's what I'm running on my 1982 PXN 10.

Last edited by bikemig; 11-01-20 at 06:36 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 11-01-20, 06:29 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by oneclick
I think if you take a look at your sx with and your sx without you'll see that aside from the claw they are the same, so yes.
I don't have the short cage in hand yet but based on what I could see in pics and I parts breakdown I found a couple days ago, and now can't find, it looked like it should work but I've been down that road before on other things and they didn't work. And so far based on other experiences with French machinery I fully expect them to have made them JUST enough different it won't work LOL. Just looking for some confirmation.
Old 11-01-20, 08:05 AM
Murray Missile 

Responses in bold in the quote text.......

Originally Posted by bikemig
So congratulations for joining the French bike club.

Thanks.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nch-bikes.html

You have a bunch of options here.

1. Stronglight bottom brackets have excellent interchangeability with Stronglight cranks. You could for example with your PXN 10 swap the 106 crank that came stock on it with a Stronglight 99 and run a compact crank. Chainrings are available from Spa cycles in the UK plus second hand. I'm running 47/32 rings on a 99 on one of my bikes but you could go as low as 28 on the inside. Also the drop out on the PXN 10 will take a campy style derailleur if you like.

I had planned on keeping the PXN10 original except for a repaint and new decals since it has all it's original components and they are in very good condition. UO8's are common around here but P series bikes are not and to find one albeit with less than great paint but pretty much unmolested and in my size is pretty cool. I just went out and looked and now see the "notch" for the stop on mine, is it also threaded?

2. The PRN 10 frame would match nicely with a stronglight 99 crank. It came stock with a stronglight 49D crank I believe which also has decent interchangeability on rings but the a stronglight 99 will be easier to track down and rings easier to find.

I have been toying with running TA Specialties Cyclotouriste crank arms with chainwheels salvaged form a Lambert on the PRN 10. I love the looks of that Lambert big chainwheel, if only they hadn't stamped "LAMBERT" in it....... The PRN10 is FAR from original and quite rough so I look at it as a blank canvas. It will most likely get a set of Suntour barcons instead of DT shifters as well.

3. I dunno if your attempt to swap out the mounting bolts on the two SX410 RDs will work. There are a few threads on this. My recollection is that the claw mounted simplex RDs will not work properly without the claw on a simplex RD. But why not just use long cage suntour or shimano RD on the PRN 10? Also if you have a shimano crane GS lying around, it will work on that simplex drop out.

The threads I have read all sounded like people were trying to just unbolt the claw derailleurs from the claw and bolt them directly to the braze on hanger using the existing hardware and no, that won't work. I just found the parts diagram and it shows both sets of hardware and judging by that I should be able to swap hardware between the 2. The mounting bolts are different lengths, the retaining "bolt" that comes through from the back is different and the direct mount RD has a "stop plate" or tab washer that goes on the back side that the claw mount doesn't have. Other than that and the claw they appear to be identical. Hopefully I'll have the other SX410 in hand next weekend and I can give it a try.

4. The SX 410 can comfortably handle up to 30 teeth. That's what I'm running on my 1982 PXN 10.

Good to know.
I hadn't mentioned it earlier but a Gitane Tour de France frameset may also be coming my way. That one may get my 1st gen. Shimano Crane RD, 1st gen. Dura Ace FD and 1st Gen Dura Ace freewheel but I also have Campy NR derailleurs, DT shifters and cable clamps in need of a bike to call home. The RD is already on a vintage claw adapter and while a bit of a kludge I read it can be mounted right over the Simplex DO. I figure that's more acceptable than hacking away at the unmolested Simplex DO.
Old 11-01-20, 09:35 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
My SX410 question is this, can I swap the mounting bolts between the 2 RD's and make the long cage a bolt on and the short cage the claw mount?
I suspect it will work, but keep in mind that the Simplex mounting bolt installs and removes from the back of the hanger, not the front as do most other derailleurs. The Allen socket on the front side of the upper pivot adjusts the upper pivot spring tension, and shouldn't be messed with.

Otherwise, you can remove the pulley cages and swap them to convert a short cage derailleur into a long cage. I used a long cage from an SX-410 to convert a short-cage SX-660 into a long cage for my tandem:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
simplex-der-mod.jpg (57.6 KB, 39 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-01-20, 10:26 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I suspect it will work, but keep in mind that the Simplex mounting bolt installs and removes from the back of the hanger, not the front as do most other derailleurs. The Allen socket on the front side of the upper pivot adjusts the upper pivot spring tension, and shouldn't be messed with.

Otherwise, you can remove the pulley cages and swap them to convert a short cage derailleur into a long cage. I used a long cage from an SX-410 to convert a short-cage SX-660 into a long cage for my tandem:
Thanks, I picked up on the proper removal from another thread while searching for info on SX410's, I think it was you telling someone else IIRC, otherwise I would have made that mistake for sure!

Unfortunately the short cage RD I'm getting with the PRN10 has had a very rough life judging by the pictures the bike seller sent me and isn't too pretty. He assures me it is fully functional and cosmetically it will be a good match for the Gitane Interclub it will end up on which requires a claw mount. The Interclub will not be getting a cosmetic make over due to some hack installing a Wal Mart kickstand, apparently with an air impact wrench...... . The chainstays are dented in pretty badly on the bottom so it will just be a beater. The PRN10 is also rough where the paint and decals are concerned but is otherwise undamaged and if I like the way it rides it will probably get a paint job in a non-factory color and reproduction decals.