Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What does "unsupported" mean?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What does "unsupported" mean?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-20, 01:53 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It's definitely going to be a long winter.
It's been a long winter for the last month already.
Old 11-13-20, 06:19 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
It's definitely going to be a long winter.
I for one am proud of the boys, it's not easy dragging out a topic like this for 4 pages and still not reaching a consensus. Maybe by 5 ?
Old 11-13-20, 06:26 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Nah, can't be bothered anymore. Some people very much wants commonly used terms in use for a wide variety of things to have only a very narrow definition - to the extend that they try to argue that it is the people using it in that very narrow definition that coined the term.
Old 11-14-20, 10:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Just for fun I dug up the old 2012 thread link for the "Fully Loaded Touring - Photo Gallery - New Website and Focus" thread. It captures me getting all huffy and asking to have my older heavy rig's picture removed from the gallery. There are also pics of my heavy setup from my first tour (TransAmerica) and a couple later, lighter, setups.

If interested check out the link at https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/7...e-focus-3.html

Sorry to have belabored this point, especially since I dislike the term. I will concede that using the literal meaning of the words I always tour "fully loaded", but I doubt many here would put me in that category. There are plenty of coined phrases that are commonly used that do not follow the literal meaning of the words. If you say buffalo wings, muffin top, or bucket list folks know you most likely don't mean the literal meaning of the words. Someone who has been on this forum since 2012 would probably assume that "fully loaded" was being used as a coined term. Other folks maybe not. Given that CargoDane has a join date of 11-13-20 I can see where he may not have seen the term used that way as much.
Perhaps their attitude has something to do with it being a parked domain now.

We can have discussions about how much stuff to carry and how to carry it but if someone else is carrying your gear, it’s “supported touring”. If you carry your own gear from a tooth brush and a credit card in your back pocket to pulling a camper trailer behind the bike and/or living off road kill, it’s “unsupported touring”.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-14-20, 11:24 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
...refer to bags, in touring we will refer to panniers or saddlebags. If you start talking about luggage people will assume you are new and haven't picked up the lingo.

luggage? in terms of cycling? there are two options.

1. duffel bag or suitcase you throw in a van on a supported tour, or

2. hard case ya packs your S&S frames in to save, ummm, airline luggage fees.
Old 11-14-20, 01:01 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
luggage? in terms of cycling? there are two options.

1. duffel bag or suitcase you throw in a van on a supported tour, or

2. hard case ya packs your S&S frames in to save, ummm, airline luggage fees.
Yes, but we don't talk about luggage in terms of the bags we put on our bikes, even though, as Dane points out, technically they could be considered such by a random cyclist, as luggage is just the word one uses to describe something you put your travel stuff in - however, within the community we wouldn't traditionally use that term. Other than cycling, who ever uses the word "pannier" or can even pronounce it. Yet that's what we call our luggage.

Another example of cycle specific terminology is the use if the word "saddle" instead of seat. Most every other example of the place you sit on an inanimate object is called a seat. A saddle is something one puts on an animal. Yet in cycling we refer to the seat as a saddle, even though it is positioned on a seat post within the seat tube.

Clipless pedals have clips that we clip into. Older riders remember the origin of the terminology but every once in a while a new person gets totally confused by specific use of the terminology within the community.

Makes no sense other than some words or phrases are employed by user groups to indicate specific sort of things within that group. As I was merely trying to point out, a fully loaded touring rig, as described within the community, generally means a certain sort of thing and not just any design filled to capacity. Dane is stuck on the literal interpretation most likely because he hasn't heard the term used coloquially.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 11-14-20 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-14-20, 02:23 PM
robow

How about this, which takes the "luggage" question out of it.

Unsupported= you're on your own if things head south
Supported= there's the potential of a van or SAG following that can come to your rescue if needed
Likes For robow:
Old 11-15-20, 09:32 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Other than cycling, who ever uses the word "pannier" or can even pronounce it.
I guess that excludes a lot of Canadian cyclists
Old 11-15-20, 02:52 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
this whole thing makes me laugh.
I go on a british bike forum sometimes and recently, some guy put up a thread basically asking what to do and what to wear when one stops at a cafe and has to be outside and its cold?

the interwebs is a hoot sometimes.
Old 11-15-20, 09:56 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
There is a bike review article in the Dec/Jan issue of Adventure Cyclist magazine using the term "fully loaded " in the context that many of us understand the term. The sentence is at the top of page 42, left hand column.

There is also a letter from a reader, Literary Anarchy, that could have been written for this thread-- page 57.

Last edited by Doug64; 11-16-20 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-16-20, 01:20 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Supported bike touring is for wussies who can’t carry their own stuff. Real men, women and children carry their own stuff.
Likes For alan s:
Old 11-16-20, 04:51 PM
RohloffRoller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Supported bike touring is for wussies who can’t carry their own stuff. Real men, women and children carry their own stuff.

Don't disagree.
Old 11-16-20, 05:36 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Unsupported biking...

Old 11-16-20, 07:55 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
hey, I just saw winkies!!
Old 11-18-20, 05:25 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
To me "unsupported" means I'm on my own when riding or touring. I'm responsible for all my food and shelter and cooking and any minor repairs to anything.

Cheers
Old 11-18-20, 05:29 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Or for folks trying bicycle touring for the first time or two to see if they like it? LOL VBEG

Cheers
Old 11-20-20, 02:20 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by RohloffRoller
Don't disagree.
Then there are things like Cycle Oregon 2002. We crossed the entire state in 6 days of riding, with one rest day. The night after the first day of riding we camped on a cattle ranch with dried cow pies everywhere. Got down below freezing that night. Ice on my tent fly and poles. I did the 114 mile option on day 3. Someone died on the long climb of the shorter route. Day 4 was a century for everyone. I ended up averaging over 90 miles/day.
Old 11-20-20, 02:54 PM
robow

. I ended up averaging over 90 miles/day.
That's not happening for me anymore. I hate getting to camp and being so tired that I find it difficult to even set up my tent.
Old 11-20-20, 07:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
That's not happening for me anymore. I hate getting to camp and being so tired that I find it difficult to even set up my tent.
But it was fully supported.😀
Old 11-21-20, 12:17 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Last July I found a young couple doing a way overboard unsupported 2 week ride, when I was riding a century.
They were stopped by a gas station, so we chatted about both our tour bikes. He had a Marakesh long TT. He was riding where there's a town just about every 25 miles. They said they were carrying all the food for the 2 weeks. LOL. Practicing for a world tour I think. So I ended up trying to lift his bike by the seat tube. It wouldn't budge a mm. LOL. 5 years ago I could lift my 120 pounder over a 2 foot high wire in Vietnam.

Then I started thinking I want one of those frames. I found out they quit making them last year. Bugger.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 11-21-20 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-21-20, 05:42 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
They said they were carrying all the food for the 2 weeks.
Wow, That would definitely make me decide against doing a trip if carrying that much food was in the plan. I know that in these pandemic times it would avoid the need for contact, but even packing very carefully two weeks of food has to be over 30# per person and more likely over 35# and that is packing as if for backpacking. Different strokes and all that, but I'd find riding with all that to suck and if I was unwilling to put on a mask and shop every few days I wouldn't be touring (I'm not).

I tend to avoid becoming a pack animal at all costs. When backpacking I avoid carrying more than 4 days of food and try to travel where water is available frequently. Bike touring I don't carry more unless I have to. Canoe tripping I still don't typically like to carry a lot, but am more likely to especially if there are no long portages involved. Rather than get overloaded in one activity I might switch to another or even switch to some kind of day tripping if I need to. As a result, during the pandemic I have just been walking and paddling my canoe locally. We have been looking at some overnight and longer canoe trips, but I am not even looking at any bike tours at the moment, maybe late 2021. I might be considering bike tours, but for some reason for anything less than 1000 miles or so I'd rather just do day rides or stay home. I am weird that way.
Old 11-21-20, 06:46 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
They said they were carrying all the food for the 2 weeks. LOL. Practicing for a world tour I think.
There aren't too many places in the world you would need two weeks of food... unless you were off-road backpacking or similar.

I've cycled around Australia, across Russia, across South America and unless you were cycling outback regions of Australia (unpaved) it would be tough to find spots in any of those places requiring more than four days of food across a long gap with nominally paved roads. Largest amount I carried was eight days worth to get me from Prudhoe Bay to Fairbanks but even in that case, I could have worked things to require less food to be carried.

Generally speaking, I don't need much more for a multi-month trip than I do for two weeks of cycling. Clothing gets washed, food gets replenished. For shorter arid period water can be heavy particularly if it becomes hot. Also finding high-quality spare parts can be concentrated in larger cities and getting clothing for very extreme weather. However, after making checklists for a extended expedition, I can reuse them for shorter two week trips and find myself still carrying many of the items on the list.
Old 11-21-20, 07:36 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I know a guy here in Colorado who has hiked the 500-mile Colorado Trail unsupported. Though one can walk into several towns along the way (Breckenridge, Leadville, Silverton), hitch into several more, and get mail drops at several on-trail locations, he eschewed all those and carried something like 50 pounds of food (and burned off 20 pounds of body fat). The really crazy thing is, after doing that, he's thinking of attempting a yo-yo (round trip) unsupported hike some year soon. He knows he probably can't do it, with a 100 pound food load, and I think it's bat-**** crazy, but it gives him a goal and a purpose. There's no competition or recognition, he just wants to try it.

Trips like this are why for some there's an important difference between "unsupported" and "self-supported."
Old 11-21-20, 05:29 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Unsupported = Not wearing a jock?
(See IPassGas above)
Old 11-22-20, 01:34 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
"Unsupported".

Thats when no one approves of you taking off and going bike touring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.