Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are you a cyclist?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are you a cyclist?

Old 11-21-20, 09:07 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Are you a cyclist?

What do you think? Are you a cyclist? Do you encounter these situations as an enthusiast? I found this video very insightful and wanted to share it with you. Enjoy!
Likes For alloo:
Old 11-21-20, 09:11 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I couldn't be bothered watching 12 minutes of video.

Of course he is a "cyclist". Everyone on a bicycle (or trike, or unicycle) is a frigging cyclist. That's like saying people in cars or on motorcycles aren't "motorists".

There are "enthusiast cyclists", just as there are "enthusiast motorists" (and boaters/sailors, whatever).

Trying to redefine words so one can put a wedge in in the usage of a word is boring as hell. It reminds me of most management/leadership books. Utterly primitive.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-21-20 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-21-20, 09:41 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
alloo The video articulates certain ideas and positions I identify with...but it was a bit verbose and slow for my taste (I make TV commercials). I do give the creator props for creating and maintaining a high image quality, mostly through the use of professional stock video sources.

I have biked to work for 28 years for fitness, and like the narrator, people will assume I'm a member of some arbitrary cycling group they concocted in their mind that is anti-car and uber-liberal politically. I, too have had people complain to me about the poor behavior of other cyclists as if we all know each other and are members of a secret organization with a specific agenda.

Unlike the video's creator the phenomenon of being stereotyped is nothing new to me since I am jewish ("Why do you all...?") and my wife and family are black ("Why don't y'all...?").

But I encounter plenty of other people who are impressed by what they perceive as self-discipline (it's really just habit and some tricks to keep me riding daily), and what they perceive as "toughness" in the snow and cold (It's just experience and good planning).

Overall, I enjoyed the video...thanks for sharing!
Old 11-21-20, 10:16 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
As others have pointed out, its a well produced video. He probably could have cut the time in half and made the same points.
He is over thinking the situation. We do tend to pigeon hole people, based on some criteria, that is not consistent across society, but hey that is part of being human.

I remember remarking to a friend that a well known celebrity was a cyclist, by his own admission. My friend said, "But does he train?"
Likes For skookum:
Old 11-21-20, 10:38 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane

Of course he is a "cyclist". Everyone on a bicycle (or trike, or unicycle) is a frigging cyclist. That's like saying people in cars or on motorcycles aren't "motorists".

There are "enthusiast cyclists", just as there are "enthusiast motorists" (and boaters/sailors, whatever).
I'm short on time, so I'll have to watch the video some other time. But I agree with the above quoted post. Keep in mind however that there are some members here who will insist that unless one has a wardrobe full of lycra, races competitively, has a strict training regimen, owns multiple task-specific bikes (or some combination of the above), one isn't really a "cyclist". In other words, they'll be quick to tell us the average commuter on a bike isn't a real "cyclist".

I'd post the link but it would take awhile to find it.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-21-20, 10:54 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Since I'd rather ride than watch a twelve minute video, I suppose I am a cyclist.
Old 11-21-20, 11:03 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The subject of what makes a person a cyclist has been beaten to death, then resurrected and beaten to death again, then resurrected again and beaten to death all over again..............
Old 11-21-20, 11:53 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I'm short on time, so I'll have to watch the video some other time. But I agree with the above quoted post. Keep in mind however that there are some members here who will insist that unless one has a wardrobe full of lycra, races competitively, has a strict training regimen, owns multiple task-specific bikes (or some combination of the above), one isn't really a "cyclist". In other words, they'll be quick to tell us the average commuter on a bike isn't a real "cyclist".

I'd post the link but it would take awhile to find it.
I hope you take the time and can post the link, I’d be interested in reading some actual quotes from posters (not trolls) on here that insist;

“wardrobe full of lycra, races competitively, has a strict training regimen, owns multiple task-specific bikes (or some combination of the above), one isn't really a "cyclist". In other words, they'll be quick to tell us the average commuter on a bike isn't a real "cyclist"
Old 11-21-20, 11:56 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Certainly can relate to the end of the video where people who know you ride unload all their animosity of ill behaved riders since they know I ride a bike. Have also been threatened by idiots in cars purposely passing to close because I must be one of those types.

My identity is certainly not wrapped up in one sport or occupation, but it’s interesting how others like to typecast.

The sad sad thing is the lack of acknowledgement that our hobby is actually doing something positive for ourselves and the environment rather than taking four-wheelers, dirt bikes and ATVs out to pollute and grind the planet.

Now back to the video bashing already in progress (or is it regress?)

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-21-20, 01:29 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I could only manage 5 minutes of the whining and then moved it forward a couple of times. The truth is, unlike the narrator, a person really has to be involved in riding, to endure that video. Non-cyclists would have shut it off after a minute or two.

As far as how people react, I think it all depends on where you live. In communities where there are a lot of active people, and people riding, it is not a big deal. No one I know ever thinks twice about it, or complains. I do consider my self lucky to live in good year round weather and have nearly every road with bikes lanes.

I understand how it would be more hostile is an urban environment or and older community that has no means to expand roadways to accommodate cyclists without doing so at the expense of drivers.

John
Old 11-21-20, 02:05 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I was in Toronto when crackhead Bob was mayor. He was funny.
Likes For blue192:
Old 11-21-20, 02:42 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I will watch the video later but I don't bunch everyone who rides two wheels as cyclists. Some are just bike riders. I am a cyclist and identify as much. My wife does not consider herself as a cyclist but someone who just rides a bicycle occasionally.

At the same time I am not a motorist, I am someone who drives a car and hates every single moment of it.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 11-21-20, 02:58 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

If you ride a motorcycle, you're a motorcycle rider, if you drive a car, you're a driver. Drive any motorised wheeled vehicle, and you are a motorist. Ride a bicycle (or tricycle or whatever) and you are a cyclist.
If you do it all, you are all of it. It's an umbrella term.
If you hit someone not in or on a vehicle, you're hitting a pedestrian, regardless of whether that person stands still, jogs, sprint, doing yoga, or whatever.

Sometimes I'm a pedestrian, sometimes I am a passenger in or on some vehicle (wheeled or not), sometimes I'm a rower, sometimes I'm a cyclist, sometimes I'm a motorcyclist (one subset of "motorist") and sometimes I'm a car driver (another subset of "motorist").

Cyclist is an umbrella term, so, yes, I sometimes "identify" as such (when I'm on my bikes, mostly). However, there are many subsets of "cyclists", so whether one is commuting, another grocery getting, mountain biking, gravel riding, touring, bike packing, road biking, endurance riding, and a plethora of other subsets, you are still a cyclist. Doing one, more, or all of the different subsets doesn't mean you're not a cyclist.

Look at the laws everwhere. If you're riding a bike (not a moped or motorcycle), you're a cyclist. It is just a word meaning you're on a bicycle (or tricycle or unicycle or whatever).

There is nothing wrong about the term, it is not perjorative other than what some people want it to be when it suits them (context!). The only problem with it, as with all umbrella terms, is that it quickly becomes pretty vague and useless the moment you try to differentiate between different subsets.

Oh, and you ARE a motorist when you drive a car. It doesn't matter if you like driving it. You are still a motorist.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-21-20, 03:19 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I've seen much more tiresome, whiny inverse snobbery on BF than actual snobbery.
Old 11-21-20, 04:01 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I've seen much more tiresome, whiny inverse snobbery on BF than actual snobbery.
True, that. Most of the judging on this site is from those biased to believe that all riders in cycling kit are snobs. I wish the haters would look at a few GCN videos on YouTube---the ex-pro presenters are clearly just goofy guys who love bikes.

And, as CargoDane says, if you ride a bike, you're a cyclist, period.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-21-20, 04:19 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
I'm a Serious Cyclist™!
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 11-21-20, 06:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I’m a psycholist

acknowledgement is the first step to recovery.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-21-20, 08:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192
I was in Toronto when crackhead Bob was mayor. He was funny.
I can’t quite remember why, but I was just thinking about him the other day.
Old 11-21-20, 08:13 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8726 Post(s)
Liked 2,855 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I can’t quite remember why, but I was just thinking about him the other day.
maybe it was when you cracked your head. Bad joke.
Old 11-21-20, 08:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I'm a Serious Cyclist™!
I'm actually certified as more of a Serious Cyclist™ than you. I watched a Rapha ad today that was 2 minutes long.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-21-20, 09:07 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I'm a Serious Cyclist™!
Do you even use a power meter ??...because if you don't then you're just a bike rider.
Old 11-21-20, 09:11 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Do you even use a power meter ??...because if you don't then you're just a bike rider.
Nah, those people aren't "serious cyclists". They're "serious trainers" who need "serious equipment" to show themselves and their fellow exercisers how "serious" they train. And nothing can get in the way of their interval training or oxygen uptake, or whatever it is they care about
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-21-20, 09:36 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I'm actually certified as more of a Serious Cyclist™ than you. I watched a Rapha ad today that was 2 minutes long.
Ok, but do you master the Rapha Flip?
Old 11-21-20, 10:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

If you ask the majority of hard-core mtn bikers if they are ‘cyclists’ they would probably ask what you are smoking. Their idea of cyclists are pavement and gravel riders, where their domain is harrowing drops, fording creeks, jumping logs and rocks, climbing to yield fast technical descents. I do both road and mtn and they are completely different disciplines.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-21-20, 10:30 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by rsbob
If you ask the majority of hard-core mtn bikers if they are ‘cyclists’ they would probably ask what you are smoking. Their idea of cyclists are pavement and gravel riders, where their domain is harrowing drops, fording creeks, jumping logs and rocks, climbing to yield fast technical descents. I do both road and mtn and they are completely different disciplines.
The world doesn't have to conform to the lowest common denominator when it comes to understanding things.

Just because they think "cyclist" means a particular type of road cycling doesn't mean that they aren't cyclists. They are on bikes = Bicycles = Bicyclists = cyclists. If they were on three wheels they'd be "tricyclists" = cyclists.

You don't even have to look further than this very site: All types of cycles (uni-, bi-, tri-) here and all types of cyclists, including mountain bikers, road bikers, trike people, At least one cargo tosser (me), commuters, gravel bikers, indoor trainers, and what have you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.