Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Very first Clipless set? Shoes and pedals.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-28-20, 02:14 PM
Bzakes2375

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Helllo!

I purchased a Diamondback Haanjo 2 (gravel) earlier this June and have put a LOT of miles on it since. I'm beginning to take riding more seriously, planning and working on very long distance rides on road and gravel path. I've done everything so far on flat pedals, and want to upgrade to clipless. I am looking for two sided, one side flat and the other side clip-in, as well as accompanying shoes. (So I can wear normal shoes when biking to school, and wear cycling shoes for long rides). Which pedals and which shoes should I go with? I want something nice enough to make a good difference from regular pedals, but still reasonably priced.
Old 11-28-20, 02:29 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Shimano makes a nice line of dual sided multi purpose pedals that vary in price range.The SPD A-530 is one of them. Also don't go overboard on your first pair of cycling shoes. There are some nice cycling shoes that look like tennis/running shoes that are in the $50-75 range. I would check online for the best prices. eBay is good place to start. Also REI and Nashbar. Check with your local bike shop (LBS) as well as they may have something in stock and you can try them on before you buy them. It also helps local small businesses and the local economy. Don't buy any cleats as they come with the pedals.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Likes For John_V:
Old 11-28-20, 07:14 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Time Atac pedals are fantastic. I personally use the Time ATAC XC's on all my bikes, varying versions though, I have had the XS versions for 10 years with flawless performance. I recently got rid of my Shimano road pedals so I would just have a single platform to deal with, and a single shoe. They are highly rated pedals and they have multiple layouts.

Old 11-29-20, 06:59 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Welcome! The hybrid pedals are a great idea. I chose Shimano shoes and VP 131 pedals but these are probably long extinct. Plenty more out there.
Old 11-29-20, 07:54 AM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Shimano makes a nice line of dual sided multi purpose pedals that vary in price range.The SPD A-530 is one of them. Also don't go overboard on your first pair of cycling shoes. There are some nice cycling shoes that look like tennis/running shoes that are in the $50-75 range. I would check online for the best prices. eBay is good place to start. Also REI and Nashbar. Check with your local bike shop (LBS) as well as they may have something in stock and you can try them on before you buy them. It also helps local small businesses and the local economy. Don't buy any cleats as they come with the pedals.
Another vote for the Shimano dual sided. My first set of clipless was a Shimano PD-M324, which are now 11-12 years old and still in good shape. These are heavier than the A530s listed above, but offer more of a "bear trap" design if you prefer that .... though if the bulk of your saddle time will be with bike shoes then the lighter may matter. Just pointing out options.
Old 11-29-20, 08:46 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
My first clipless pedals were Looks. Now both my bike and trike have two sided Shimano clipless pedals.
Old 11-29-20, 05:11 PM
SwampGrinder

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another vote for the dual sided Shimano. I made the move to clipless pedals and shoes for my gravel bike about 2 months ago and am very glad I did. But still like the option of not having to wear my clipless shoes at times. Went with the Shimano PD-EH500 and have been pleased with them. I also went with a MTB style shoe, with the recessed cleats, so that I can easily walk in them when needed.
Old 01-19-21, 08:04 AM
Borys

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1
Great question so commenting to get updates in my email when new answers are added. Curious to hear more suggestions.
Old 01-19-21, 09:09 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
For beginner clipless pedals I have to agree with those that suggested the Shimano two-sided pedals. Easy in, easy out.
Old 01-19-21, 11:32 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
For cheaper but good pedals Shimano's PD-EH500 is hard to beat and for a better quality one that is my favorite PD-T8000 which has a really nice wide platform with adjustable/replaceable pins on one side and an XT clipless on the other. I have used XT pedals for many years and they are all still going strong.

I have used A-530s but honestly they are really only an OK clipless pedal the platform is a bit slippery which is why they have the PD-EH500 now with replaceable pins. Maybe they work a lot better with super sticky rubber but it is less likely someone is riding a bike in shoes like that.
Old 01-19-21, 11:52 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Have you considered just going with "toe-clips/straps".....
Old 01-19-21, 04:10 PM
marty.rheaume

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I would definitely go with some Mountain Bike pedals and shoes. That way, you won't have to walk like a penguin. Maybe the Crank Brothers Candy 1. They're like 50 bucks
Old 01-19-21, 04:19 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have some spd/platform pedals for when I commutify my CX bike. ISSI Flip. Recommended for this exact situation.
Old 01-19-21, 04:26 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
One more for Shimano spd pedals. I've been using a pair of pd-m324 pedals for several years now with no issues. I like the "bear trap" shape when riding with normal shoes. My wife has some pd-a530 pedals that she likes for the same reason. I think the a530 has been discontinued, but you can still find them on Ebay, and I'm sure the model that replaced it is equally good.
There are a lot of good entry-level mtb/gravel shoes out there at decent prices. Go for comfort and fit over fancy features.
Old 01-20-21, 11:17 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
The Shimano 424 pedal is dual sided SPD and as well has a wide platform for using non-SPD shoes. Best of both worlds.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...0/PD-M424.html