Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Can we tour first week of May?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Can we tour first week of May?

Old 02-08-21, 07:55 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
That new route sounds like something worth checking out.
Old 02-08-21, 08:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
That new route sounds like something worth checking out.
Living in Philly, I’m interested in the route through NJ, presumably to Cape May to get the ferry to DE. I do long weekend trips down that way a couple of times every year. I gave ACA a lot of info that was incorporated into one portion of the PA portion of the CHI to NYC route as well as the reroute of the Atlantic Coast route between New Hope and Conshocken, PA many years ago. Their original segment had become unfriendly in places due to suburban sprawl.
Old 02-08-21, 09:31 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Sounds even better now.
My wife and I have been bouncing around a couple different empty properties her mom owns out there on cape may and are considering a move to DE/MD/DC. I’m a jobless bum and she’s working remotely, maybe forever.
So this route sounds both fun and timely.
Old 02-09-21, 05:35 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I’m sure hoping to be able to ride up to Portland the 3rd week of May. The Hotel I looked into says Maine requires a negative test result within the past 72 hours.
Old 02-09-21, 08:43 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
At the risk of getting somewhat political...

I wonder when these (mostly unenforced) negative test restrictions are going to become "negative test or proof of vaccination"?
Old 02-09-21, 10:06 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
At the risk of getting somewhat political...

I wonder when these (mostly unenforced) negative test restrictions are going to become "negative test or proof of vaccination"?
When it comes to international travel, there is talk of an electronic mechanism to record your vaccinations for purposes of airlines and border crossings, but several different actors are trying to do something similar with competing interests. For now I am keeping an eye on this one.
https://thecommonsproject.org/commonpass

But I have no idea if that will be the winner or a different on. Or, perhaps none at all?
Old 02-09-21, 03:20 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
How much are these tests anyway? I saw a video of a bloke who flew from Oregon to Alaska and he said his test was $200

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I’m sure hoping to be able to ride up to Portland the 3rd week of May. The Hotel I looked into says Maine requires a negative test result within the past 72 hours.
Old 02-09-21, 03:58 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
How much are these tests anyway? I saw a video of a bloke who flew from Oregon to Alaska and he said his test was $200
I think that’s about right based on what I heard. I had two before two separate medical procedures. My insurance covered them 100%. I had a third when I was hospitalized back in November. That was also covered.
Old 02-09-21, 04:09 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Soo, that means if I and my spouse wanted to travel international and 2 tests are required on the way in and 2 tests on the way out - we would be out of $1600

wow
Old 02-09-21, 08:14 PM
indyfabz

Soo, that means if I and my spouse wanted to travel international and 2 tests are required on the way in and 2 tests on the way out - we would be out of $1600

wow
Depends. Some states may offer them for free if you don’t have insurance. I don’t know what happens outside the country.
Old 02-09-21, 08:46 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
PedalingWalrus you do not say the type of bikes that you have or what kind of riding you will stretch into. The eastern half of the US is pretty rainy and stormy that time of year on average. You can get cold snaps with rain and even snow in the upper Midwest. High plateau regions in west above 6000 feet will be cold and windy in the northern US. The southern US at that time of year is generally dry without the monsoons but higher plateau areas are still likely to have snow and freezing temperatures at night. Areas like around the Grand Canyon, Zion park and Bryce Canyon will likely have snow and freezing temperatures that time of year. The lower deserts below 6000 feet should be fine in south western US with mild temps, cold at night but lots of wild camping at night. Water is generally available at that time of year. Death Valley and Southwestern Arizona are nice at that time of year. Southern California is also nice if you don't need papers to get in. Southern Texas and Florida are also very nice at that time of year.
Old 02-10-21, 09:25 AM
Mr. Gumpy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggman84
Consider a loop around Lake Michigan; lots of good state parks in both Michigan and Wisconsin. If you want to avoid Chicago and developed south end of the lake take the ferry between Ludington, Michigan, and Manitowoc, Wisconsin Ludlow. Can extend it into upper peninsula to Lake Superior. Michigan has good regional maps showing all there road network, and Wisconsin has count maps with their complete road network (easy to stay off busy roads). Should be a very doable car drive.
I'm planning this trip, hoping to start May 1, Milwaukee to Milwaukee clockwise. It'll be a little spring-like, but I'd like to get through the UP before the peak black fly horror hits. I know the Wisconsin side pretty well, and the Michigan side looks like a nice ride. My plans are to ride all the way around, including the Gary/Hammond/South Side of Chicago urban adventure.

As to ferries: the SS Badger (Manitowoc <--> Ludington) isn't scheduled to start its season until May 20, but the Lake Express (Milwaukee <--> Muskegon) plans to start May 7.
Old 02-10-21, 09:42 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Gumpy
I'm planning this trip, hoping to start May 1, Milwaukee to Milwaukee clockwise. It'll be a little spring-like, but I'd like to get through the UP before the peak black fly horror hits. I know the Wisconsin side pretty well, and the Michigan side looks like a nice ride. My plans are to ride all the way around, including the Gary/Hammond/South Side of Chicago urban adventure.

As to ferries: the SS Badger (Manitowoc <--> Ludington) isn't scheduled to start its season until May 20, but the Lake Express (Milwaukee <--> Muskegon) plans to start May 7.
You will be 4-6 weeks before black flies. Black flies don't like snow. May is a very wet month in the UP and North West Michigan. With that start date I would consider counter clockwise. Take plenty of warm water proof clothing. September is the best month for that trip.
Old 02-13-21, 09:16 AM
Mr. Gumpy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Good suggestions. I'm kind of attached to the idea of finishing with the city riding, though. September might be better for a lot of reasons, as you suggest. Something to consider....
Old 02-14-21, 09:14 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
There is a similar but different precedent when it comes to Yellow Fever.

Yellow Fever is spread by mosquitoes and found in tropical areas of South America and Africa. WHO has created a standard Yellow Fever vaccination certificate - https://www.cdc.gov/travel-static/ye...igure_4-02.png and some countries require this certificate at border control on entry. Some countries list they need it and don't always check but other countries definitely checked.

We're not quite to that level of standardization and many countries don't yet have access to vaccines (https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2...ne-covaxi-who/), so my guess is this will remain somewhat informal for at least 2021 and then we'll know more about the vaccine e.g. will the virus keep mutating so new vaccines come out similar to flu shots or will there be vaccines with more long-lasting protection similar to Yellow Fever? Depending on answer to that question will determine how standardized this could be.
Old 02-14-21, 10:23 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by KPREN
You will be 4-6 weeks before black flies. Black flies don't like snow. May is a very wet month in the UP and North West Michigan. With that start date I would consider counter clockwise. Take plenty of warm water proof clothing. September is the best month for that trip.
And the fact that even the last 2 weeks of May can be quite cold for camping in the UP. Not uncommon, lows in the low 30's or upper 20's, highs in the low/mid 50's, only on a very good day will it hit 60. I've spent the last 34 years in the UP for a week or two in mid/end of May. But then again, maybe you get lucky. I'm generally out of there by Memorial day weekend when it gets really crowded.
Old 02-14-21, 10:56 AM
jmgardner 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix 105 and Salsa Marrakesh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I liked the Van Supported Natchez tour i took and would consider it for your question, but it would be a long drive. But spring would be beautiful down there.
I lived in Delaware for years, but didn't ride then, and the route that the other poster is talking about would be cool. It would be possible to circumnavigate Delaware and Eastern Shore Maryland but ES Va is a straight route down and back up...too narrow for multiple paths.
I think his Delmarva idea is the winner for your question and the odds are that the weather will be OK or even better.
Old 02-15-21, 08:33 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
It depends on the country. My son is one of those crab fisherman you see on TV (doing it right now in fact). He works about 6-7 months of the year on and off depending on what is in season. During his off time, he loves to travel, even during Covid to whatever countries may be open. Yes, he loves to make his parents very anxious. Alaska is $200 but Columbia (country) is $25 (but required twice). Other places are in between.
Old 02-15-21, 08:43 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
What about the KATY Trail? It goes from St. Louis to either Clinton, MO, or Kansas City area. From either direction, you could continue on fairly low traffic roads, i.e. continue to Pueblo or Denver or east toward Indianapolis (on the Eastern TransAm Route, a non-ACA route) and then onto ACA's Chicago to NYC Route. to Columbus, OH, where you head north on other rail trails to Cleveland. The big negative is that you can have major thunder storms in the spring which will make the Katy trail "sluggish" but you probably know that since you have ridden several other trails. Very nice though with everything coming into spring.

Tailwinds, John
Likes For John N: