Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do women have “Brooks love”?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Do women have “Brooks love”?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-21, 05:21 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
I have read several threads in which most posters rave about Brooks saddles but realize I have no idea if those posts are mostly from men. My wife is considering the B17 short (the “women’s model”) now. Its lack of a cutout makes me wonder if Brooks love is less likely with a woman’s anatomy, and if she should look elsewhere. I invite the response of any female reader of this post who has experience of Brooks saddles who can speak to its woman-specific comfort or lack of comfort.

I use the Men's B17 Standard ... love it.

PS. I'm a woman and a long distance cyclist.
Old 03-02-21, 05:22 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I know a woman who rode PBP on a Brooks, got bloody, took 6 months before she could do anything interesting again. So there's that. There's a reason that in the world of slotted saddles, the women's saddles always have a larger slot. And it's certainly true that the shorter the ride, the less the saddle matters, but this is the Touring forum.
I know a woman who rode two 1200K events on a Brooks ... and was just fine. So there's that.

BTW - that was me.

And slots hurt. Not good.
Old 03-02-21, 10:37 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I know a woman who rode two 1200K events on a Brooks ... and was just fine. So there's that.

BTW - that was me.

Goes to show how personal saddles are. Neither my wife nor I can ride an unslotted saddle. The slot on mine is wider than my wife's - about 1-1/4". The group I ride with has a total membership of ~120 riders. I think only 1 Brooks, ridden by a man, though there are several Selle Anatomica saddles, ridden by both men and women. But you know, the saddle I'm using now is probably the saddle I'll use the rest of my life, the most comfortable, problem-free, durable saddle I've ever used and I'm 75. Yet I'm don't talk about what saddle this is on BF. Why would I do that?
Old 03-02-21, 01:12 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Goes to show how personal saddles are. Neither my wife nor I can ride an unslotted saddle. The slot on mine is wider than my wife's - about 1-1/4". The group I ride with has a total membership of ~120 riders. I think only 1 Brooks, ridden by a man, though there are several Selle Anatomica saddles, ridden by both men and women. But you know, the saddle I'm using now is probably the saddle I'll use the rest of my life, the most comfortable, problem-free, durable saddle I've ever used and I'm 75. Yet I'm don't talk about what saddle this is on BF. Why would I do that?
I think its fair to say that for lots of people, being recommended/told/sold of what works "best" is a common thing. Heck, I used to see this way back in the day in the photography world, I'd get asked "what's the best developer, film, paper, camera....whatever"
When I see a "what is the best" type question, it makes me think back to those days.

certainly with bike saddles, you just gotta ride and ride and figure out what works. Suggestions are always good, I have no issue with that, but as you say from lots of experience, there certainly is no right answer.
Old 03-02-21, 01:33 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts

BTW - that was me.

Good to see you back here, Machka!

And how interesting, to get a randonneuse's (sp?) input on saddles for ladies.
Old 03-02-21, 01:50 PM
dmeans2anend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

BTW - that was me.

Machka: Thank you so much for your feed back. Great data point.
Old 03-02-21, 06:11 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
I lent my men's B17 Flyer to my wife for the stoker position of the tandem at the beginning of the pandemic. It had been on my commuter bike for three years. She used a Terry Butterfly before. She's been on the Flyer for our daily 20-mile ride since then and used it on a 2-week self-contained tour of Washington State last August. I will not be getting it back.
Old 03-03-21, 07:30 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by dmeans2anend
Machka: Thank you so much for your feed back. Great data point.
I have been on Brooks saddles for a long time now, and they are ib on more than 10 of the 15+ bikes downstairs now - MTBs, road bikes, fixed gear, and Bike Fridays. I do have one of the Asian-made copies of Brooks that has just gone on a single-speed, but I don't think it is as well made in either framing or leather despite the cheaper price.

And for those who aren't aware, Machka and I are wife and husband. She has been riding much longer than me, having started in her childhood, whereas I have been doing it for almost 25 years. We have both done 1200s on Brooks and lots of other general randonnee rides as well as touring in various places around the world. The bikes include a tandem fitted both ends with Brooks saddles.

There are other non-Brooks saddles stored downstairs, but about the only one for me is a racing-type which I can't even remember the name of -- a Serfas, I think -- that has two butt bone segments. Nice saddle that was used on my CF Merlin, and one day I will use it again just for fun.

None of my own Brooks saddles have centre cut-outs in them. I think one of them has a Ti frame, probably on my Ti bike which I haven't ridden in a while because of non-bicycle related issues.