Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Don't Be a Jerk on the Bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Don't Be a Jerk on the Bike

Old 03-05-21, 07:02 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by MNHarv
I can respect your opinion. But I can't agree with you because what I wrote does make sense. If what I wrote weren't verifiably true, choppers like the ones Orange Country Choppers assembled would have gained enough of a following that the company would still exist. They were a goofy fad. Their claim to fame was creating the most exaggerated appearances.
If you looked at them purely as transportation, then you make a good point that they were a goofy fad. They were art. A way for highly skilled craftsmen to show off their talent. Art evolves over time.
Old 03-05-21, 07:19 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
If you are criticizing the handling of "Harleys" then it absolutely matters.

Did Orange County Choppers assemble Harleys? Because OCC are who I mentioned in my first post on this thread.

Did I say all cruiser style motorcycles in reference to anything? No. I did not.

And if I were to criticize the handling of any vehicle, are you trying to say I don't have that right because it offends you?

Why don't you go be offended by something which actually matters and not people who couldn't care less if what they write, say or think bothers you.
Old 03-05-21, 08:08 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by MNHarv
Did Orange County Choppers assemble Harleys? Because OCC are who I mentioned in my first post on this thread.

Did I say all cruiser style motorcycles in reference to anything? No. I did not.

And if I were to criticize the handling of any vehicle, are you trying to say I don't have that right because it offends you?

Why don't you go be offended by something which actually matters and not people who couldn't care less if what they write, say or think bothers you.

Cogency. Get some.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-05-21, 04:32 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Cogency. Get some.
Cool. Learned a new word.
Old 03-06-21, 08:35 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by YellaFella
As I said in the original post, the blog (it's not a video, BTW) was intended to encourage cyclists to take ownership of our own faults. As I also said in the original post, drivers are much more at fault than cyclists -- but we can't control that. All we can do is our best to be considerate and courteous on the road. If we do that, it can only help. Does it mean that drivers will start suddenly not being idiots? Of course not. But making them even angrier by doing stupid things on the road will only lead to worse outcomes.
I welcome their anger. If they’re angry they’re at least paying attention for a change, and maybe they’ll put the phone down for a few seconds. Meantime, I’m going to ride in a way that keeps me alive, and if that means clearing a big intersection and getting to the other side while cars wait on the red I’m doing it.
Old 03-06-21, 08:56 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I welcome their anger. If they’re angry they’re at least paying attention for a change, and maybe they’ll put the phone down for a few seconds. Meantime, I’m going to ride in a way that keeps me alive, and if that means clearing a big intersection and getting to the other side while cars wait on the red I’m doing it.
If you are referring to filtering to the front, I won't do that if it means the motorists I just cut in front of will have to work to get around me when the light turns green. That is discourteous and arguably dangerous. If a cyclist is discourteous enough to do that to me, I am not going to concern myself with courtesy when I have to pass them. I may filter to the front when I can be reasonably sure I won't be an obstacle the motorists has to deal with when the light turns green.
Old 03-06-21, 09:47 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
If you are referring to filtering to the front, I won't do that if it means the motorists I just cut in front of will have to work to get around me when the light turns green. That is discourteous and arguably dangerous. If a cyclist is discourteous enough to do that to me, I am not going to concern myself with courtesy when I have to pass them. I may filter to the front when I can be reasonably sure I won't be an obstacle the motorists has to deal with when the light turns green.
"if you're not first, you're last. - Ricky Booooobby"
Old 03-06-21, 11:32 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I hate that phrase, "I have to pass them". No where in any state in the US is one legally obligated to pass someone. Its only lawfully pass if it's safe to do so, you never 'have' to pass anyone.

No, I mean if I'm at the front waiting and the light is red but traffic has cleared in all directions I'm getting out of that intersection and not waiting for the drag race that happens when the light turns and the land-yachts 'have' to pass me in the intersection before I can make to the other side. The metal miscreations seem to have no qualms gunning it and filtering pass me approaching the light instead of slowing so no one should get hurt feels on the reverse.

And if that makes you mad, at least your paying attention.
Old 03-06-21, 11:35 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Cool. Learned a new word.
Unfortunately, you aren't the one who needed to learn it.
Old 03-06-21, 11:53 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I hate that phrase, "I have to pass them". No where in any state in the US is one legally obligated to pass someone. Its only lawfully pass if it's safe to do so, you never 'have' to pass anyone.

No, I mean if I'm at the front waiting and the light is red but traffic has cleared in all directions I'm getting out of that intersection and not waiting for the drag race that happens when the light turns and the land-yachts 'have' to pass me in the intersection before I can make to the other side. The metal miscreations seem to have no qualms gunning it and filtering pass me approaching the light instead of slowing so no one should get hurt feels on the reverse.

And if that makes you mad, at least your paying attention.

I get what you mean about the phrase "have to pass them" but it was the most economical way I could think of to describe what we both know I meant.

If I am at the front of a pack of motorists at a stop, I very well may scoot on across, light color be damned, and get up to speed to avoid the rat race.
Old 03-08-21, 01:37 AM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
The only thing I hate more than bastard cyclists are self-obsessed bloggers.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 03-08-21, 08:34 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Hmm. I'd typically filter to the front, even if there's no way of crossing the intersection until light turns green. The alternative otherwise could be sitting 10th in line at an intersection, with 9 cars in front, and another 10 behind me. That's not terribly comfortable, not knowing who might think there's enough time to accelerate past me, get to the intersection and make that right turn before I get to the same intersection to cross. Of course I guess I could fully take the lane, and then anger motorists by being slower and making them miss the green and having to wait for another light change.
Old 03-08-21, 10:02 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Hmm. I'd typically filter to the front, even if there's no way of crossing the intersection until light turns green. The alternative otherwise could be sitting 10th in line at an intersection, with 9 cars in front, and another 10 behind me. That's not terribly comfortable, not knowing who might think there's enough time to accelerate past me, get to the intersection and make that right turn before I get to the same intersection to cross. Of course I guess I could fully take the lane, and then anger motorists by being slower and making them miss the green and having to wait for another light change.
That's selfish and inconsiderate. If a cyclist is selfish and inconsiderate enough to do that to me, I won't worry about being inconsiderate in passing that cyclist if I want to pass them later. In talking to motorists, this is one complaint I hear often. When the cyclist cuts to the front, then holds up the very motorists they just passed, it pisses motorists off and rightly so. It's one thing when a motorist whines about me slow rolling a stop when it has nothing to do with them. It's a legitimate gripe when cyclists cutting in line ends up delaying a motorist. Maybe it's a societal value that we don't share, but cutting in line, when it does or may affect others is, inconsiderate in my society.

In the situation you described being 10th in line, I would have no trouble at all accelerating with traffic for those 10 car lengths. If I were to filter all the way to the front and couldn't accelerate for a few car lengths with traffic, then I'd surely hold up all of the vehicles that were proceeding straight through the intersection.

I'll reemphasize that if I can filter to the front and not delay motorists who proceed straight through the intersection, then I may filter.
Old 03-08-21, 10:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
The only thing I hate more than bastard cyclists are self-obsessed bloggers.
Right up there with cooking bloggers with recipe descriptions that are longer than Tolstoy's "War and Peace." Just look at this:

Tuscan White Bean Soup Recipe - No Spoon Necessary

It's soup, for Christ's sake. It doesn't need its own encyclopedia volume complete with a table of contents.

:
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-08-21, 10:27 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
That's selfish and inconsiderate. If a cyclist is selfish and inconsiderate enough to do that to me, I won't worry about being inconsiderate in passing that cyclist if I want to pass them later. In talking to motorists, this is one complaint I hear often. When the cyclist cuts to the front, then holds up the very motorists they just passed, it pisses motorists off and rightly so. It's one thing when a motorist whines about me slow rolling a stop when it has nothing to do with them. It's a legitimate gripe when cyclists cutting in line ends up delaying a motorist. Maybe it's a societal value that we don't share, but cutting in line, when it does or may affect others is, inconsiderate in my society.

In the situation you described being 10th in line, I would have no trouble at all accelerating with traffic for those 10 car lengths. If I were to filter all the way to the front and couldn't accelerate for a few car lengths with traffic, then I'd surely hold up all of the vehicles that were proceeding straight through the intersection.

I'll reemphasize that if I can filter to the front and not delay motorists who proceed straight through the intersection, then I may filter.
I missed your mention about filtering to the front if there's room on the other side of the intersection. Yes, I agree. Most of the roads around here do have shoulders, so there's always typically room and motorists going straight don't have to 'work' to get around.

My last experience where I didn't filter to the front wasn't pleasant though. I was about 4-5 positions back. The 2-3rd car back was taking a right turn, but saw me in his sideview mirror and stopped dead before the intersection. So did the cars behind him, and so did I. Evidently he was too worried that I'd ride up on his right side while he was turning. Anyway it was a standstill, and he rolled down his passenger side window and started shouting back "are you going or what!!??".. I asked him the same. Meanwhile the other cars -- 10 or so deep all started honking at this guy. Sometimes you can't win.
Old 03-08-21, 10:28 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Right up there with cooking bloggers with recipe descriptions that are longer than Tolstoy's "War and Peace." Just look at this:

Tuscan White Bean Soup Recipe - No Spoon Necessary

It's soup, for Christ's sake. It doesn't need its own encyclopedia volume complete with a table of contents.

:
It's the same in baking. Just this morning, I had to scroll and scroll and scroll just to find a recipe that I have used before. If it wouldn't fit on an old-school notecard, it's too long.
Old 03-08-21, 10:41 AM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
I think what the OP is really trying to say is "Don't do what Donny Don't does."

Thanks for the "heads up" (and blog!!!!) OP! It's always a good idea to be courteous and safe!
Old 03-08-21, 12:30 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Well....there are a lot of times I DO think it's okay for a cyclist to go through a red light, and an awful lot of us do, one time or the other. I certainly don't always, but there are some situations...
However, I ALWAYS see cyclsts who are inconsidrate, rude, and/or dangerous, to themselves or others. Just doing IDIOTIC stuff (like texting). That, I think, is the nature of our society: there are a lot of thoughtless people, in every sphere. I've heard of a lot of cyclists killed or seriously injured by cars (no matter who is at fault), but I've yet to hear of a car driver killed by a cyclist (however, I HAVE heard of pedestrians who were seriously injued by some clown on a bike. ANd I'm sure there are istances that are the pedestrians fault, but there are plenty where it IS a cyclist's).
Old 03-08-21, 12:33 PM
whipnet

Bikes: Fat

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 20 Posts
If there are cars at the intersection, I stop and abide by the laws of a vehicle. If no cars are at or approaching the intersection, I might not even slow down.
Old 03-08-21, 12:45 PM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Remember, though, it's not a good idea to be considerate and thoughtful until I write about it on my blog. The though thing with narcissism is those who suffer most are always last to find out.
Old 03-08-21, 01:07 PM
rgppgr

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My 4 grand daughters and I were riding to a play date when we came to a three way all stop intersection. We were stopped and I saw another solo rider approaching. Older gentleman in full dress coming fast. He gave me one look and never slowed down. I told the girls to go ahead and they took off. This guy grabbed both brakes and ground to a stop as the girls went in front of him. I looked at him again, He looked put out that he had to yield. Like from a fellow cyclist I was supposed to follow the law and let him slide. I loved it. And it was a good lesson for the girls. Keep your eyes on the surroundings. You never know when someone is going to cause a problem. Keep your head up.
Old 03-08-21, 02:05 PM
Ivankrakow

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure your post will raise our consciousness? Did you think it would? I rode in Singapore for 5 years, split lanes with the motorcycles, jumped lights etc.. The only thing i did there was the same thing I do here? Be ultra aware of my surroundings. So, back in Cow Hampshire , we go through lights and stop signs, as long as we are not affecting drivers.. However I would never ride 2 in the lane, just to slow down cars? Unless I wanted a can of Budweiser thrown at my head.. I am all about surviving and do not believe for a milli second I am going to improve anyone’s perspective about anything..
Old 03-08-21, 02:32 PM
DocJames
Observational Theorist

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
**warning stay away**

I regret having wasted precious time on this worthless thread. It's wholly devoid of meaningful or enlightening discussion. Hopefully others won't make the mistake I did and simply scroll on by.
Likes For DocJames:
Old 03-08-21, 03:23 PM
Wes in Missouri

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Vigorelli, 2005 Bianchi Axis, 1988 Cannondale R600, 1992 Diamond Back Venture, 93 Cannondale r600,Trek 820, Cannondale Delta V 1000, 87 Cannondale M400

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 14 Posts
Cogency. Get some.
that is a perfect response to this thread. And most of Facebook.
Old 03-08-21, 07:00 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
don't be a jerk on the bike, or doing other things

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.