Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

First Trail Verdict Assigning 100% Fault To The Passenger Who Did The Dooring

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 03-24-21, 06:21 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts

https://www.bikelaw.com/2021/03/dooring-bicyclist/

While such a verdict should have been delivered years ago, it's a big win because it establishes a legal precedent that cyclists should not be assigned any fault for being doored when they are riding lawfully. It may also make insurance companies wary, because Allstate was ordered to pay 18 times the amount they originally offered to settle. That amount wasn't disclosed in the article, but I can't imagine it's small.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 03-24-21, 06:28 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Good.
Old 03-24-21, 08:06 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Good stuff. I am a member of a local advocacy (sort of) Facebook group that the attorney posts on.
Old 03-25-21, 12:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,468 Times in 7,309 Posts
Absent a court ruling that, as a matter of law, there can be no contributory negligence on the part of the cyclist in a dooring case due to the state statute cited, the verdict is not really precedential. It's a win in this case, but it does not mean a jury in a future dooring case cannot find the cyclist to be at fault.

Any such ruling would likely have to come from at least an appellate level court, if not the state's highest appeals court. That is because trial court rulings on legal questions are typically not binding on other trail court cases. Indeed, it's not unheard of for mid-level appeals courts to rule differently on a the same question of law in two different cases. When that happens, a state's highest level appeals court sometimes takes a case raising the issue to resolve the issue one way or another. Its ruling is binding on all lower courts.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-25-21 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-25-21, 02:29 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
The dooring happened as a car stopped in the bike lane and doored the cyclist with the right door in this case.
An ordinary lane with sharrows, not a "bike lane" - so the presence of the vehicle there wasn't odd in the way that presence in a "bike lane" would imply.

A bit different than the classic dooring where cyclists ride too close to cars parked by the curb.
Different indeed.

Legal determinations aside, in practical terms it's another thing to keep in mind when filtering forward or passing a car on the right.

Stopped and even slowing cars should be seen as red flags of concern - especially if you're contemplating going by them on their right.

The important kind of victory is making it home unscathed.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 03-31-21, 12:00 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I would have never passed a stopped car on the right. I would have looked back, made sure it was safe, then went around left.
Cars in the US don't have driver side doors? IDNKT.

-mr. bill
Old 03-31-21, 12:40 PM
mr_bill

I guess you aren't paying much attention. The details are the a car stopped in the bike lane leaving space between it and the car parked at the curb. The person that was doored went between those cars.

Now pay attention! I WOULD HAVE NEVER PASSED A PARKED CAR ON THE RIGHT in this situation. 2 cars side by side? Honestly, only and idiot would have squeezed between. I like any other vehicle on the road, would have looked back, made sure it was safe to the left then went around.
No bikelane. No squeeze. The driver of the motor vehicle stopped in the LEFT TRAVEL LANE. No other vehicle on the road would pass a vehicle stopped in the left travel lane on the left.

I'm guessing you've never ridden a bike in New Orleans? (Let alone on St. Peters St.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-31-21 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-31-21, 01:54 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by mr_bill
The driver of the motor vehicle stopped in the LEFT TRAVEL LANE.
The cyclist was riding the sharrows in the right lane and was passed on the left by a vehicle which stopped, but it's unclear in which lane it stopped.

Most are probably thinking it pulled back to the right to stop, effectively double parking.

I've been unable to find anything more complete than the blog article, such as the court record it has pictures from.
Old 03-31-21, 01:58 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Mr. Bill, UCTT:
RTFL!
A dark sedan then passed on Buena’s left. The car stopped just ahead of her. She continued riding and started to pass the car on its right. As she went to pass, the passenger opened the front door directly in front of her. The edge of the door caught Buena on her left shoulder, arm, and leg, throwing her to the right into a parked car.
Sounds like the car stopped in the left lane on a one way street and a passenger opened their door to get out into traffic. The door hit the rider. It is all in the link to bikelaw.com!

One part of me is thinking too bad it wasn't something heavy going by that would have torn the door off the stopped car while not injuring the passenger or being damaged itself.
Old 03-31-21, 02:08 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by UniChris
The cyclist was riding the sharrows in the right lane and was passed on the left by a vehicle....
She was passed by a DRIVER. Tell me, if she's riding over the sharrows, is the driver driving in the left lane or the right lane or both lanes? Can't be the right lane, because then this would be a rear ending story rather than a dooring story. If the driver was driving in BOTH lanes you don't think that would have been put into evidence?

Anything in any story about a mad swerve toward the right curb by the driver? Anything about HER swerving right to pass on the right?

Most are probably thinking it pulled back to the right to stop, effectively double parking.
Why would ANYBODY assume that? (Is it impossible to double park in the LEFT lane?)

-mr. bill
Old 03-31-21, 02:14 PM
UniChris

Drivers and pedestrians are substantially motivated by self preservation from the threat they think of, which is motor vehicles.

The problem is they don't think about bikes.

Discharging a passenger from the left lane into the right risks them been hit by the familiar risk of a car. Pulling into the right lane leaves them safe from other cars, so is more common behavior.
Old 03-31-21, 02:16 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Sounds like the car stopped in the left lane on a one way street and a passenger opened their door to get out into traffic. The door hit the rider. It is all in the link to bikelaw.com!
Exactly!

Even after a court determined that the dooring was 100% the fault of the motor vehicle driver and passenger, there are those here who can't figure that out.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-31-21 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-31-21, 02:18 PM
mr_bill

Discharging a passenger from the left lane into the right risks them been hit by the familiar risk of a car. Pulling into the right lane leaves them safe from other cars, so is more common behavior.
Spoken like someone who has NEVER seen someone get out of a car in the left hand lane.

In THIS case, do you have ANY reason to believe that your assumption is true?

Remember, the COURT found the DRIVER and PASSENGER 100% at fault.

-mr. bill
Old 03-31-21, 02:26 PM
UniChris

We all know that both situations happen, but discharging from the right lane is far more common than the left.

Your basis for believing the car stopped in the left lane seems to be nothing more than assuming that's the only way the court could have found for the cyclist.

Alternate possibility: the cyclist arguably legally but unwisely passed a vehicle stopped in the right lane and/or the company's lawyer was outmatched and made mistakes, something fairly consistent with the disdain the company exhibited for the case.

Last edited by UniChris; 03-31-21 at 02:51 PM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 03-31-21, 03:32 PM
mr_bill

I didn't think this needed to be said, but....

....that's a picture from Google's street view. That's not the driver's vehicle (the driver's vehicle was a dark sedan, not a Ford Pickup), and that arrow you've put on the screen is your own fantasy.

-mr. bill
Old 03-31-21, 03:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
I too have to agree with UCantTouchThis . I wouldn't have put myself in that position. If the car had stopped ahead of me and I had time, I would have passed it on the left as is always considered the correct side to pass on in the USA and other places that drive on the right.

However I do think between plaintiff and defendant, the person opening the door was the more stupid and careless person, and rightfully found liable.
Likes For Iride01: