Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Anyone wear SPD sandals?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Anyone wear SPD sandals?

Old 03-25-21, 07:07 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,126 Times in 426 Posts
Anyone wear SPD sandals?

I’m very intrigued by the idea of wearing sandals for long rides and touring. Anyone wear them on touring? If so which brand? I would love to hear some feedback on them. Thanks
Old 03-25-21, 07:28 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,204 Posts
I've got some Keen sandals that go with my travel bike's pedals; Shimano doesn't make big sizes.

I don't usually notice them on the bike, which I suppose is a recommendation. I have to wear thicker socks than I'd prefer because of the design and my foot, else my little toe pokes out with thin socks. The toe box makes cold or wet weather tolerable, but again that's design specific.
Old 03-25-21, 07:57 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Keen used to make cycling sandals, but with a closed toe they were more like a shoe than what you typically would call a sandal. I did a google search, nobody has the Keens any more but if you want to see what they looked like:
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...cycling-sandal

Most of my cycling is on older Keens. Very happy with them. But, some of my shoe covers do not work on the Keens, they are a bit too wide.

I can't comment on the open toe sandals that have been sold for cycling, never tried them. A friend of mine has used them and he had a very odd looking suntan on his feet when barefoot in the campsite.
Old 03-25-21, 08:18 AM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I used to have a pair of Lake sandals, loved them. They were great during rainy weather, dried out quickly, comfortable with and without socks, stiff yet comfortable for walking (not hiking). They were heavy though. They are no longer made unfortunately. Many cyclists like Shimano, still available, I am thinking about buying but have heard they are not as stiff as their previous model. I would love to see them in person. The Lakes used to be my touring shoe of choice, never got a hot spot with them like some other shoes. I used them with egg beater pedals.
Old 03-25-21, 08:26 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Yep, I liked the Keen sandals which fit me best but as stated above they are no longer made. I also have a pair of Shimano sandals. They have a wider, clunkier heel requiring the cleats to be adjusted close to the inside edge to avoid heel strike on the crank. I often wear an AFO (ankle brace) on the left and the Shimano sandal is the only SPD footwear that will fit over it. Thus I've pulled them out of retirement.

This fellow wore his Shimanos every day on an ACA TransAm tour. Sometimes in the evening also! ...

Old 03-25-21, 08:51 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've got some Keen sandals that go with my travel bike's pedals; Shimano doesn't make big sizes.

I don't usually notice them on the bike, which I suppose is a recommendation. I have to wear thicker socks than I'd prefer because of the design and my foot, else my little toe pokes out with thin socks. The toe box makes cold or wet weather tolerable, but again that's design specific.
How large a size are dealing with here?
My shoe size is 47 wide and my Shimano sandals are size 47-48. They run a little big for me to be able to fit a waterproof sock but I could use a size smaller if I planned on not using any socks at all.
Old 03-25-21, 09:36 AM
balto charlie

Their last ride. Walked into the Potomac, quick rinse and we were back riding immediately.
Old 03-25-21, 12:26 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,204 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
How large a size are dealing with here?
My shoe size is 47 wide and my Shimano sandals are size 47-48. They run a little big for me to be able to fit a waterproof sock but I could use a size smaller if I planned on not using any socks at all.
49. You'd think with all this internet mail-order thing more web businesses could carry shoes larger than 47-48, but the reverse seems to be true.
Old 03-25-21, 07:27 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
We have been touring for years with sandals. They are great for tours in summer. I love the ability to instantly plunk feet in water. Initially, started with Shimano, but my wife found that her foot would fall a sleep due to curvature and I found that the top base material made the bottom pad of my foot crack. We have since switched to Exustar, the 3 strap version (not Nashbar) and like them now for ~30,000 miles. The extra strap distributes pressure better and the top surface material allows the foot pad to breath better. The Exustar have a front toe protector which we prefer over the fully open Shimano toe to protect from sun and stones. Sizing is not as critical as with regular bike shoes because of the velcro adjustability.

But wait, perhaps we are loosing energy due to not tight regular shoes??!! Oh nooooooo, not the dreaded loss of energy.
Old 03-25-21, 07:30 PM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sandals only for many years. Nashbar sandals, still made. Comfortable and long lasting.
Likes For hockey:
Old 03-26-21, 10:51 PM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
I have done quite a few tours using bike sandals, including one coast-to-coast on a tandem. Lake used to make great bike sandals, but seems not to anymore. I use SPD sandals and am happy with them. I have wide feet and they are plenty wide.
Old 03-27-21, 02:40 AM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I have a Shimano SPD sandals. I got them for longer rides and touring. I haven't used them much yet, but they seem fine so far. As others have said, the sizing seems a bit larger than usual. Sandals makes things really simple and lightweight. I also carry Bedrock sandals (conventional) for extended periods walking/running off the bike. Shimano sandals are fine for short distances, but the cleats are annoying on long walks and unsuitable for running.
Old 03-27-21, 04:06 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
Though for some reason shimano sandals are really heavy. I think they weigh the same as my cold season shoes and more than my enduro shoes.
Old 03-27-21, 11:32 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Ridden with Shimano sandals since the mid-1990s.

Sheldon Brown recommended them with tthhiicckk wool socks for winter riding.
Old 03-27-21, 01:36 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I have a pair of Shimano SD66’s. They are ugly but so comfortable and liberating. I can’t justify replacing them yet with the newer SD5’s.
Old 03-27-21, 03:21 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I ride the road with a guy who is affectionately known as "Sandal Ray". His choice of footwear doesn't seem to affect his ability to go fast or far.
Old 03-29-21, 03:11 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I destroyed my Exustar sandals last year so for this upcoming season I purchased the Shimano sandals. Have not used them yet
Old 03-29-21, 03:25 AM
katzenfinch

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I’m going on my second pair of Exustar sandals (a dog chewed the straps off my first pair). I much prefer closed-toe sandals since I seem to have a tendency to bash my toes into things if they’re not covered.
Likes For katzenfinch:
Old 03-29-21, 07:31 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Keen used to make cycling sandals, but with a closed toe they were more like a shoe than what you typically would call a sandal. I did a google search, nobody has the Keens any more but if you want to see what they looked like:
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...cycling-sandal.
I also like my Keen sandals very much. I happened on a close out sale a couple years ago and one of the 2 pairs luckily was my size. I prefer the boxed toe style and it’s too bad they were discontinued.
Old 03-31-21, 08:36 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
I ride almost exclusively in my Nashbar sandals and my eggbeater pedals.

Never tried any other brand of cycling sandals - I got lucky on my 1st try with the Nashbars. My feet are wide. 5E wide. The nashbars fit like they were designed for me... I can actually wear winter socks in them (the horrors!) where I cannot in some shoes.

The price was right too.
Old 03-31-21, 12:41 PM
Kelly I

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I have worn the old style two strap Shimano sandals exclusively since they were introduced. In the winter I put a layer of Saran wrap over my thick wool socks and then put on the sandal.
Old 04-02-21, 08:51 PM
NeedARealBike

Bikes: Cinelli Bootleg Hobo - Railway 2015

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the Shimano sandals too. I bought them after a long ride after realizing it had some advantage for me. That was last year though and now I can’t remember what exactly that was. Still live them though. I have the crank brothers Mallet E pedal. They’re only on my MTB though I just keep the regular included platforms on my hobo bike.
Old 04-10-21, 06:51 AM
LynxTheWizard

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
and here i am travelling with cheapest beach flipflops...
Old 04-11-21, 06:59 PM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I destroyed my Exustar sandals last year so for this upcoming season I purchased the Shimano sandals. Have not used them yet
How stiff are the Shimano sandals? I want to buy them but have read they tend to be too soft. I don't want road bike hardness, prefer mnt bike hardness.
Old 04-25-21, 07:45 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
I find the soles on my Shimano sandals to be very firm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.