Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Mountain Bike Commuter ?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Mountain Bike Commuter ?

Old 04-01-21, 05:57 PM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Mountain Bike Commuter ?

Are there any mountain bikes that are also well suited for commuting ?
Be it they come equipped with fenders , racks , and lighting , or something else in the design ;ie. tires , geometry .type of fork , etc.
Old 04-01-21, 07:06 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Any bike could be used as a commuter. People commute on road bikes, mountain bikes, hybrids, fixies, fatties, and ebikes. It depends on the conditions and distance you are commuting. Personally, if it was a short distance I have no problem with a MTB. However, as the distance increases I would like something that allows me to go a tad faster with less effort.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 04-01-21, 09:36 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
All of these have been used for commuting just as you see them. Almost all of the pictures were taken while commuting.

Dean, summer.

DSCN0167 by Stuart Black, on FlickrUntitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Dean Winter

DSCN0387 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Dean winter with snow

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Moots YBB, summer.

Same in winter. The YBB gets studded tires in the winter.

Winter but less winterery

A Specialized S Works Epic actually at work.

DSCN0387 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

IMG_1248 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

These last two (and the Dean) are “my granpappy’s axe”. The 2003 Stumpjumper Pro started life as 1998 Stumpjumper M2 Pro (orange). It broke. When this picture was taken, the only original part was the front hub.

93590004 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

I got tired of the white color and found a red Rockhopper (2011). The original hub was gone but it has some of the same parts from the 2003 Stumpy.

DSCN0167 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Then I found the Dean. Some of the same parts still remain.

I used these for many years on many different commutes. I left the knobbies on and found single track possibilities for my commute. It keeps the ride fresh. Commutes were 10 miles one way.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-01-21 at 09:42 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-01-21, 10:21 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I actually have two mountain bike commuters atm, one is set up with slicks and the other is running knobbies.
Nice to be able to go back and forth.
Likes For Rage:
Old 04-01-21, 11:04 PM
pakeboi

Thanks for the inspiration .
Old 04-02-21, 12:54 AM
pakeboi

I see many mountain bikes but none purpose built for commuting ; ie. racks , fenders , lights , appropriate tires , etc .
Well , you could say there are Hybrids , or Dual Sport models .
Old 04-02-21, 01:00 AM
pakeboi

What do you expect pakeboi ! They're mountain bikes , they're made for mountain biking !
Old 04-02-21, 08:08 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
The best purpose built MTB for commuting with have the tires changed to thinner street tires, and either had a rigid front fork (80's and 90's MTB's), or a fork with a lockout. The MTB with the rigid fork is preferred if it will be solely for street commuting. You will have to add lights and fenders like any bike.

I used my 1998 Schwinn Moab to commute at first, but found that with the geometry of a road touring bike is much more suitable. I think this is mostly due to the high bottom bracket of MTB's, and that I am tall. YMMV, of course.
Old 04-02-21, 08:52 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi
I see many mountain bikes but none purpose built for commuting ; ie. racks , fenders , lights , appropriate tires , etc .
Well , you could say there are Hybrids , or Dual Sport models .
The hybrid thing has been tried. “Hybrid” were introduced in the early 90s with a “they can do it all!” approach. They couldn’t do it all or even most. They were too light duty for off-road use and too heavy for on-road. They may have “done it all” but they didn’t do any of it well.

Additionally, having a bicycle that is purpose built isn’t all that appealing to most people. The choices made by a product manager in a foreign country may not met the needs for everyone...kind of like the “hybrid”. Their choice of racks, fenders, and especially lights may not fit my...or your...needs. If I have to start changing things to fit my needs, I would rather not pay for the parts twice.

Look at my bikes above. I run lights sometimes but I don’t carry them around all the time. I use battery powered lights because I have a fleet of bikes at my house and generator lights would require constant wheel changes or multiple generator wheels. Neither of those options are optimal. For my purpose, battery lights that are easily swappable from bike to bike is the most flexible option. That’s just one issue I see for “purpose built bikes”.

Buy a bike you like and you want to ride. Put the accessories on it that are useful to you and go ride.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-03-21, 11:30 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I live on a "main drag" for bike commuting, and my office looks out over the street, so I see lots of bikes during the commuting hours. Most bikes look like "whatever was in the garage" when they started commuting. Many are mountain bikes. An old hardtail MTB with pavement tires is just a bike. It has wheels, pedals, etc. Attach a rack and fenders if needed, and off you go. The good news is that there are lots of things like tires and accessories that fit those bikes.

Rear suspension might require a bit more finagling to attach a rack.

The MTB rose in popularity for two reasons. One was actual off-road biking per se. The other was that a MTB looked rugged and easy to ride compared to the ill-fated "ten speeds" of the bike boom. For everybody who bought a MTB for the second reason, the "hybrid" was of the same ilk, but a little bit lighter (or heavier, take your pick) with narrower tires and maybe a more upright riding posture. It was a hybrid between a MTB and something, we just don't what.

But the bottom line is, virtually any bike can serve commuting duty.
Old 04-04-21, 03:21 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
For off-the-rack bikes, there’s a sweet spot where a bike is good enough for enthusiast trail use but also has commuter friendly features. A Trek Roscoe is a better commuter or your-only-bike than a Stache, because it will take standard accessories like a rack or kid seat. But the Stache has a better build. Some brands are better at doing this; Salsa and Surly models have a lot more mounting holes and more versatile frames that allow a variety of builds. See for example the Bridge Club that is sold as both hybrid and MTB.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-04-21, 03:25 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

There’s my Merida that replaced the Bruce Gordon as my DD