Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin SPD pedals 🙂

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin SPD pedals 🙂

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-21, 02:07 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Yeah, I switch my Assioma pedals between bikes often.

I kind of would like SPD power pedals because I use SPD boots in winter, preferring the walking stability and snow management of SPD over 3-bolt cleats and shoes. However, I don’t really need power for winter rides as it’s hard to do workouts outside in that weather, so it’s really just endurance riding and base miles stuff. So it would be kinda nice if the price was right.

Thing is, I can get SRAM’s crank spider power meter at the regular price of $400, so I could solve the seasonal power issue on that bike pretty inexpensively, but don’t get the same, multi-bike flexibility as I would with an SPD PM.

Were I still MTBing, that’d seal the deal on SPD power, but I really don’t anymore, so having the Assioma 3-bolt PM pedals covers the summer road bikes, the gravel bike in summer/fall, as well as the spring training/rain road bike. Power for winter road and gravel is not worth $700-$1.2k to me, nor apparently even the $250 it’d cost me to get insulated 3-bolt road boots. Winter workouts get done with power on the Kickr trainer or Cycleops Phantom stationary.
Old 03-25-21, 03:09 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Well, I bought a pair of the SPD Garmin XC200 pedals. Should be here in a week or however long the USPS takes to get it here. I'm an early adopter sacrificing for the good of the biking collective.
Likes For guachi:
Old 03-25-21, 03:10 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
Well, I bought a pair of the SPD Garmin XC200 pedals. Should be here in a week or however long the USPS takes to get it here. I'm an early adopter sacrificing for the good of the biking collective.
Thank you for your service.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-26-21, 09:12 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Thank you for your sacrifice. I look forward to reading all about it.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 03-26-21, 09:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Seems like that will be going against BF conventions to actually use the product before fully creating myths about what is and isn't good about it.​​​​​​​
Old 03-26-21, 05:53 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Ordered the XC100s, should be here next week. My local shop had two pair of XC200s on Wednesday and they were sold that day.

To answer some of the questions that have been asked:
  • I own three bikes, I regularly ride two (all SPD).
  • I have three pairs of nice SPD shoes (fair weather, cold weather, wet weather) that fit me well, so I'm pretty committed to the format.
  • My primary bike doesn't clear a Stages (Lynskey GR300)
My first power meter.
Old 03-26-21, 09:56 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Tempting. As I've posted before, my best pedals are SPD-SLs. I like the Favero-Assiomas as power meters, but hate them as pedals.

I might get the Garmins for my outdoor bikes and just leave the F-As on the trainer.

Will wait a while to see how people like them and if the price settles.
Old 03-26-21, 10:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm happy to see this as an option, particularly for gravel/CX. The prices though... holy smokes.

I can get a single sided Stages crank arm for $325. Stages has dual sided Dura Ace cranksets for $1000 and Ultegra for $730.
I do not understand why pedals would cost so much more. Are people really swapping pedals between bikes all the time? That is the only advantage I can think of.
​​​​​​I bought my pedals back in the day for a rim brake bike that couldn't clear 25s. Traded it in for a cheap gravel bike to test the waters, kept the pedals. Next bike was gravelish, with BBRight. Same pedals. Wheel and crank meters don't translate. It's a pain in the ass to replace something like the crank anyway, if you sell the old one, so I appreciate not having to do it. They work and I'm getting my money's worth. 🙂

And it's nice to be able to bring your pedals somewhere and not the whole bike. Occasionally is fine, it's easy to do when I want. Mine are the older ones that need a torque wrench if you want the right numbers out of them so it isn't as dead simple as the newer ones.
Old 04-17-21, 11:38 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Aw, man, that price. That price makes the Favero / Xpedo hack look really reasonable
Genesis 49:16-17