Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hydration

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-21, 06:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Unresponsive.

How much less capacity do my insulated bottles have than which bottles fit in standard cages?
it should be indicated on the container somewhere if it has been manufactured by a known reputable brand sold in the United States. If the capacity is the same, & the exterior dimensions are both the same, then it's dark magic that makes the capacities the same. i just lug plain w/e temp it is water along to chug. The hassle is not for me to bring a gourmet beverage.
Old 04-30-21, 04:11 PM
cbuddy2005

Bikes: old GT avalanche, Ribble Ti Endurance disc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
camel bak with ice. works well in central Texas in august.
Old 04-30-21, 04:40 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I have a couple of those larger Podium Chill bottles. I like them. Beyond the insulation factor, I like the hands free spout. It’s easy to pull out the bottle, drink and put it back while riding, all with one hand.

Otto
Old 05-01-21, 06:09 AM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Unresponsive.

How much less capacity do my insulated bottles have than which bottles fit in standard cages?

two water bottles, one insulated, one uninsulated
Pictured above are two water bottles, insulated on the right, uninsulated on the left. Both bottles are labelled 750 mL (no, I didn't measure the volume; I'll assume they're close enough to labelled volume to not matter). The insulated bottle is approx. 5/8" taller than the uninsulated one. So yes, there is a difference in the size of an insulated bottle vs uninsulated of the same volume (and by extension, bottles of the same external dimensions will have different volumes). For me, the difference isn't enough to matter (if you have a small main triangle or use a frame bag and bottles are a tight fit, that 5/8" might make a difference).

As far as the effectiveness, I find that when I start out with a bottle filled with ice and topped off with cold water on a west Alabama summer day (90-100F temp, high humidity), after about 3 hours the insulated bottle isn't cold anymore, but it is still noticeably cooler than ambient temps. I don't usually bother to freeze bottles the night before, so I can't comment on how much more effective that might be compared to just filling with ice.
Old 05-01-21, 09:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by ted_major

two water bottles, one insulated, one uninsulated
Pictured above are two water bottles, insulated on the right, uninsulated on the left. Both bottles are labelled 750 mL (no, I didn't measure the volume; I'll assume they're close enough to labelled volume to not matter). The insulated bottle is approx. 5/8" taller than the uninsulated one. So yes, there is a difference in the size of an insulated bottle vs uninsulated of the same volume (and by extension, bottles of the same external dimensions will have different volumes). For me, the difference isn't enough to matter (if you have a small main triangle or use a frame bag and bottles are a tight fit, that 5/8" might make a difference).

As far as the effectiveness, I find that when I start out with a bottle filled with ice and topped off with cold water on a west Alabama summer day (90-100F temp, high humidity), after about 3 hours the insulated bottle isn't cold anymore, but it is still noticeably cooler than ambient temps. I don't usually bother to freeze bottles the night before, so I can't comment on how much more effective that might be compared to just filling with ice.
Size (i.e., length) was not something my comment was concerned with. Capacity (i.e., volume) was. My 25 oz. insulated bottles fit in standard cages. One reason the brand is very popular.
Old 05-01-21, 10:08 AM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
CamelBak 25 oz. Podium Chill. Freeze overnight. Just make sure not to fill it to the brim before you freeze it.
I use those.

Our local C-store chain has 32 oz drink specials during the summer. With ice they are good for 30 minutes max. If i slip them in a small plastic bag like they have for hot dogs, the ice lasts twice as long.
Old 05-01-21, 10:16 AM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Size (i.e., length) was not something my comment was concerned with. Capacity (i.e., volume) was. My 25 oz. insulated bottles fit in standard cages. One reason the brand is very popular.
Right. And if the same volume in an insulated bottle requires a larger size, then an insulated bottle of the same size will have a smaller volume.

For me, the difference isn’t enough to matter, and I happily use insulated bottles.

If someone really wants to know how much less an insulated bottle holds compared to an equally sized uninsulated bottle, they should be able to calculate the difference. I think they’re close enough to not worry about it.
Old 05-01-21, 10:17 AM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
Why not put your drinks into an insulated bag or container of some sort? If you have a rack, carry them on the rack.
I do that also. I bought insulated lunch box with sleeves which are frozen night before. They hold around 3 water bottles.

One has a handle strap which goes over the handle bars.
Old 05-01-21, 10:33 AM
onekgguy
Retired

Bikes: Collage Super, Eisentraut Ltd, Sarma Shaman (fatty), Giant Revolt Advanced 0 (gravel), Orbea Oiz M20 (mtb)

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 78 Posts
The problem I have is with actually taking a sip before the drink is warm. Expecting the drink to remain cold for much more than an hour in hot conditions is maybe expecting too much, at least for me.

Kevin g