Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Revitalizing Gum Hoods?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Revitalizing Gum Hoods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-20, 06:02 PM
crandress 

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Vincitore, Bridgestone MB3, Atala Corsa GS, Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1953 Terrot

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Revitalizing Gum Hoods?

I am selling some NOS brake levers. Even though they are believed to be NOS, the gum hoods are hard and not pliable. Otherwise they look good. Is there a way to revitalize these to make the rubber more supple? Thanks - Chris

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 02-16-20, 06:11 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Don't know about making them more supple but If they are dirty , rubbing them with a white terry towel soaked in acetone might clean them up nicely. I have cleaned white plastic Carlton hoods that were yellowed . After wiping with Acetone they looked like new.
Old 02-16-20, 06:17 PM
crandress 

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Vincitore, Bridgestone MB3, Atala Corsa GS, Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1953 Terrot

Originally Posted by capnjonny
Don't know about making them more supple but If they are dirty , rubbing them with a white terry towel soaked in acetone might clean them up nicely. I have cleaned white plastic Carlton hoods that were yellowed . After wiping with Acetone they looked like new.
These look fine, they are just hard. May be partly because it is pretty dry in our house this time of year.

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 02-16-20, 06:24 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I'd be very surprised and equally impressed if anybody could reverse the ageing of gum hoods. You wouldn't be the first to want to make this happen, myself included.

By the way, I think those levers are gorgeous! Love the drill/machine work.
Old 02-16-20, 06:34 PM
crandress 

Originally Posted by BFisher
I'd be very surprised and equally impressed if anybody could reverse the ageing of gum hoods. You wouldn't be the first to want to make this happen, myself included.

By the way, I think those levers are gorgeous! Love the drill/machine work.
Thanks! I have on thing I may try, I just don't want to ruin them since I have no plans to use them. I suppose I could try it on the worst of them and see.

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 02-16-20, 06:52 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I've used different rubber/vinyl rejuvenators with mixed results. As mentioned above, acetone will work, but it does extract a heavy toll, especially if you do not "feed" the rubber with silicone or lanolin afterward. I like silicone, but I've found that its tough to mix it with any other treatment. In the past, I've had good results from soaking then washing in hot soapy water, then soaking the dickens out of it with armor-all. Wet it good and let the armor all soak in. One thing that you can rely on is that it will never look new again, only clean and maintained, which is acceptable.
Old 02-16-20, 08:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Plasti-Dip?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-16-20, 09:32 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
I've used different rubber/vinyl rejuvenators with mixed results. As mentioned above, acetone will work, but it does extract a heavy toll, especially if you do not "feed" the rubber with silicone or lanolin afterward. I like silicone, but I've found that its tough to mix it with any other treatment. In the past, I've had good results from soaking then washing in hot soapy water, then soaking the dickens out of it with armor-all. Wet it good and let the armor all soak in. One thing that you can rely on is that it will never look new again, only clean and maintained, which is acceptable.
I was told Silicone was the crack of chemical engineers. Silicone- which Armor-All has will penetrate all right but it also evaporates- when used on vinyl as an example - you are married to it- it displaces the vinyl plasticizers- evaps away and the material is at risk. I did keep a car with a vinyl dash fresh looking for 12 years but I applied the stuff every 30-60 days.

i would not use it on original hoods.
some have made mention of 303 protectant
but i have not tried it.
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-17-20, 12:05 AM
Sandstrom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 45 Posts
Believe it or not, WD-40 can do a good job of softening old dried out rubber, I have used it many times to soften old rubber parts in vintage electronics that I was working on. You can even soak parts in it but I wouldn't leave it for a really long time because it could eventually swell and become slightly misshapen. You just need to monitor it, don't go to sleep and let anything sit overnight.
Old 02-17-20, 01:35 AM
aland2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Brake fluid. Has plasticisers for brake cylinder seals. Great for old tyres.
Old 02-17-20, 04:52 AM
oneclick 

Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
I have a bottle of Rubber Renu (sp?) and will try that and report back. It's the stuff that smells like wintergreen. I used it for carb boots and it softened them nicely, but it won't fix cracks.
Old 02-17-20, 07:48 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
I use water based Aerospace 303 on C&V for auto and bicycles and have very old tires and hoods that look great, however, have never been happy with the few revival attempts I have tried.
Old 02-17-20, 08:20 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Glycerine has worked well for me on some hoods, on others it just seemed to sit there.