Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Polishing Aluminum Rims

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Polishing Aluminum Rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-20, 09:35 AM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
Polishing Aluminum Rims

Anyone ever used Mother's Polish (or similar) on aluminum rim braking surfaces? I figure it would return the new rim shine to them but will it affect braking performance?
Old 11-03-20, 09:44 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I've used Mother's for years, but I have to admit that I haven't used it on the braking surface of polished rims. I would guess that you'll follow up with a cleaner of some sort and wiping with a clean cloth. If you use an ammonia-based cleaner, be aware that this may dull or darken a polished finish. It's never been a problem for me, though.
Old 11-03-20, 09:49 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Don't polish braking surfaces, regardless of what product you use. Clean it if you want, but use something that cleans but no polish (i.e. Isopropyl alcohol).

If you want shiny rims, get some disc brake wheels. Then you can polish the rims to your heart's content. But be careful you're not getting it on the rotors.
Old 11-03-20, 10:58 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Most polishes and compounds have a wax-type base so will leave a residue which will likely interfere with braking. It may or may not come off with a solvent like acetone or brake cleaner; silicones are especially difficult in this regard.
Old 11-03-20, 04:07 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Bought some new Velocity A 23s a couple of months ago, big delay for the polished ones, so took the unpolished aluminum ones. Really wanted polished silver ones, so used Mother’s metal polish on the rims, including the brake surface, before having them built up, Wiped the braking surface with isopropyl alcohol before riding on them, no issues, could have thrown myself over the bars on the first pull if desired. Mothers will work fine.
Tim
Old 11-03-20, 06:37 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I polish silver rims before building them, but always wipe down the brake surface with alcohol after the build is complete.
Old 11-03-20, 08:40 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
BITD, I hand polished ( with a rag and my fingers) Weinmann rims with Simichrome. People always asked me why I had steel rims instead of alloy.....
Likes For elcraft:
Old 11-05-20, 12:32 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Simichrome is my long-time preferred compound for polishing Al. Braking surfaces should be sanded with fine grit paper, not polished.
Old 11-05-20, 04:04 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
The brake pads will quickly render the polish moot, especially after the first wet ride. I agree with the later posters, but ultimately, all that polishing will be for naught - your rims will quickly become scored and that dull aluminum/scrapes/residue look will return. But enjoy it while it lasts!
Old 11-05-20, 04:06 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Simichrome is my long-time preferred compound for polishing Al. Braking surfaces should be sanded with fine grit paper, not polished.
1200 grit and wet sand if you want them to shine. If you're putting polish on and then using acetone or alcohol to remove the polish, all you've accomplished is cleaning the rim.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 11-05-20, 04:08 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
This was the tried-and-true method for addressing the DREADED Dia Comp 986 cantilever squeak nightmare! Some brakes simply will NOT comply! Toe in, greased canti posts and everything else fail. Seems to be the combo of the brake pad compound and new anodizing. Scrub through the anodizing to fresh aluminum and you're good.
Old 11-05-20, 04:50 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Bought some new Velocity A 23s a couple of months ago, big delay for the polished ones, so took the unpolished aluminum ones. Really wanted polished silver ones, so used Mother’s metal polish on the rims, including the brake surface, before having them built up, Wiped the braking surface with isopropyl alcohol before riding on them, no issues, could have thrown myself over the bars on the first pull if desired. Mothers will work fine.
Tim
Were the un-polished ones anodized or non-anodized? Just curious.

BTW: I ride polished (non-anodized) A23’s on my Flyte SRS-3. I polish the entire rim, including the sidewalls with Mother’s mag wheel polish. They look stunning and the polish application to the sidewalls improves my braking performance as well.

Old 11-05-20, 05:18 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Brakes stop you by generating friction as pressure is applied. If you polish it - especially with things such as polish, wax etc. - you reduce friction. There is no way polishing your brake surface will somehow magically make the brakes work better. Maybe if you haven't ridden the bike and you "test" it by applying the brake without moving the bike. In that case, I can imagine that something feels sticky.

The mentioned product (Mother's mag and aluminium polish) is for the rims (on cars and motorcycles) and not for the brake rotors on the mentioned vehicle. I know your rims are rims, but with rim brakes they are also the rotor.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-05-20, 05:27 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by CargoDane
Brakes stop you by generating friction as pressure is applied. If you polish it - especially with things such as polish, wax etc. - you reduce friction. There is no way polishing your brake surface will somehow magically make the brakes work better.

The mentioned product (Mother's mag and aluminium polish) is for the rims (on cars and motorcycles) and not for the brake rotors on the mentioned vehicle. I know your rims are rims, but with rim brakes they are also the rotor.
Everyone states their opinion on here as if is a fact. I am telling you that by polishing my machined braking surface I have improved my (dry) braking performance. I do use softer pads and probably wear them out quite a bit sooner than the standard black Shimano ones. I have my own thoughts about why this works so well for me. I also clean the dirt off my pads petty regularly as well.
Old 11-05-20, 05:39 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I know, you're telling it as if it is a fact: That smoothing-out your brake surfaces and covering it with something that is supposed to make a surface as slick as possible so dirt and brake dust won't stick to it, somehow makes your brakes work better.

Cleaning dirt off your pads is a good idea, regardless of whatever else you do. Just like removing polish, oil from the road and so on from your brake surfaces is also a good idea. Both the cleaning of the pads and the softer pad itself improves performance, regardless of whatever else you have done to reduce friction. However, if you hadn't reduced the friction, your clean and soft pads would work better.

However, you seem happy with your choices.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-05-20 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-05-20, 05:54 PM
masi61

I know, you're telling it as if it is a fact: That smoothing-out your brake surfaces and covering it with something that is supposed to make a surface as slick as possible so dirt and brake dust won't stick to it, somehow makes your brakes work better.

Cleaning dirt of your pads is a good idea, regardless of whatever else you do. Just like removing polish, oil from the road and so on from your brake surfaces is also a good idea.
Velocity A23 polished rims do have machined sidewalls prior to being sent out for polishing. They are pretty high maintenance, I will admit. Any amount of riding in the rain & I usually wash them in my laundry tub with a soft scrub brush and dilute Dawn dish detergent with a tiny bit of Simple green in the bottle as well. I remount the wheels on the bike and spin them from valve to valve with a pea sized quantity of Mother’s mag polish. I am careful to not get it on the tire sidewalls. As it hazes, you polish it off with a clean paper towel which turns black. Minute grooving of the sidewalls is polished out a bit which you can feel better pad grip when you apply the brakes. It might just be that my perception is one of better modulation. This works in dry and drizzle/light rain. In heavy rain, not so much.
Old 11-05-20, 05:58 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I wonder if you mostly use the rear brake when coming to a stop?
I ask because it doesn't take much pressure (friction) to make the rear tyre skid, so back there you don't apply much force compared to using your front brake to stop as quickly as possible (both, but the point still stands).
Old 11-05-20, 08:37 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 6,478 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
1200 grit and wet sand if you want them to shine.

Some are so old, I start with something more like 600 grit on the brake surface.
Old 11-05-20, 11:19 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Aluminum foil. If you have not used it, try it, you will be impressed
Old 11-06-20, 09:21 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
BTW: I ride polished (non-anodized) A23’s on my Flyte SRS-3. I polish the entire rim, including the sidewalls with Mother’s mag wheel polish. They look stunning and the polish application to the sidewalls improves my braking performance as well.
I realize that you believe braking performance to be improved after polish; however this is just a perception that won't stand up to real testing. The fact is that metal surfaces are polished to reduce friction, and friction is what generates the braking force. There are plenty of studies that confirm this. Here's a quote from one:

The differences in friction and wear levels of the tested surfaces seem rather independent of the presence of textures but primarily seem to be caused by the differences in local surface roughness, i.e. whether the sliding surfaces are polished or ground. Both sparsely textured and untextured polished surfaces showed substantially lower friction coefficient and less wear of the counter surface than did the ground surface. Thus, polishing is the obvious way to decrease friction and wear in these types of contacts. The increased friction found for denser surface textures indicate that introduction of a texture might even drain the contact from mixed towards boundary lubrication.

https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/ge...1.pdf;Surfaces
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 11-06-20, 11:16 AM
masi61

I wonder if you mostly use the rear brake when coming to a stop?
I ask because it doesn't take much pressure (friction) to make the rear tyre skid, so back there you don't apply much force compared to using your front brake to stop as quickly as possible (both, but the point still stands).
I’m pretty good at high speed braking. I live in a moderately hilly area. I guess I apply the brakes about 50/50 initially but then the front brake ends up providing a higher percentage. I do notice that my front pads wear out sooner.
Old 11-06-20, 11:35 AM
masi61

I realize that you believe braking performance to be improved after polish; however this is just a perception that won't stand up to real testing. The fact is that metal surfaces are polished to reduce friction, and friction is what generates the braking force. There are plenty of studies that confirm this. Here's a quote from one:
Yeah, you might be right. I like the feel the way I do it for these particular polished rims. I’ve got them braking really well most of the time, not grabby but positive braking. I have Dura Ace 7700 dual pivots which are not as powerful as 7800’s. I have a bike with Dura Ace 7403 dual pivots (which I did a full rebuild on) and man they are some powerful rim brakes paired with ordinary Tektro aero brake levers.

I’m mot sure what to think about the 44 page scholarly article you provided. Looks like an interesting read. Not bike specific though so the takeaway for me is inconclusive. I got caught out in an absolute downpour last summer and I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that I had such a difficult time pulsing my brakes to squeegee them off. For now I’m gonna stick with my claim that these particular rims brake better in most conditions when freshly polished with Mother’s mag wheel polish. The grip with these pads; https://www.ebay.com/itm/193331590060 (inexpensive pads I have been using for the past 2 years) is enhanced a bit with no squeals or grabbiness. I forgot to mention that I do an intermediate step after (2 or 3) rounds of Mother ‘s mag wheel polish using Meguiar’s Cleaner Wax which concludes when my little paper towel squares aren’t so black any more. If I’m feeling like perfecting the shine a bit more still I use one round of Meguiar’s High Tech paste wax. These last 2 steps don’t seem to hurt the braking any and they seal the bare aluminum so that in a light rain, water beads up (for a while at least).
Likes For masi61:
Old 11-06-20, 11:38 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I’m pretty good at high speed braking. I live in a moderately hilly area. I guess I apply the brakes about 50/50 initially but then the front brake ends up providing a higher percentage. I do notice that my front pads wear out sooner.
Hmm, then there isn't really any reason as to why you'd perceive the braking to be better on polished rims.
Old 11-06-20, 11:43 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Yeah, you might be right. I like the feel the way I do it for these particular polished rims. I’ve got them braking really well most of the time, not grabby but positive braking. I have Dura Ace 7700 dual pivots which are not as powerful as 7800’s. I have a bike with Dura Ace 7403 dual pivots (which I did a full rebuild on) and man they are some powerful rim brakes paired with ordinary Tektro aero brake levers.

I’m mot sure what to think about the 44 page scholarly article you provided. Looks like an interesting read. Not bike specific though so the takeaway for me is inconclusive. I got caught out in an absolute downpour last summer and I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that I had such a difficult time pulsing my brakes to squeegee them off. For now I’m gonna stick with my claim that these particular rims brake better in most conditions when freshly polished with Mother’s mag wheel polish. The grip with these pads; https://www.ebay.com/itm/193331590060 (inexpensive pads I have been using for the past 2 years) is enhanced a bit with no squeals or grabbiness. I forgot to mention that I do an intermediate step after (2 or 3) rounds of Mother ‘s mag wheel polish using Meguiar’s Cleaner Wax which concludes when my little paper towel squares aren’t so black any more. If I’m feeling like perfecting the shine a bit more still I use one round of Meguiar’s High Tech paste wax. These last 2 steps don’t seem to hurt the braking any and they seal the bare aluminum so that in a light rain, water beads up (for a while at least).
It doesn't matter if it's bike-specific: Friction is what causes you to stop when you apply brakes. That's also the reason brakes can get really hot. Have you tried some silicon lube on your rims (please don't!). It makes most of the friction go away.

Since you don't believe in friction is what is making your brakes work, what do you think is causing you to come to a stop?
Old 11-06-20, 12:02 PM
masi61

It doesn't matter if it's bike-specific: Friction is what causes you to stop when you apply brakes. That's also the reason brakes can get really hot. Have you tried some silicon lube on your rims (please don't!). It makes most of the friction go away.

Since you don't believe in friction is what is making your brakes work, what do you think is causing you to come to a stop?
It is a tactile thing for me. Maybe no better, but as I said I like the feel. I went through a woodworking hand tool sharpening phase about 20 years ago and did a lot of hand sharpening of chisels and plane blades. I use Japanese water stones in different grits: extra coarse (220), coarse (800), medium (1200), fine (6,000) & super fine (8000). When closing in on a mirror polished blade, there is a suction that holds the blade snugly to the wet stone, like an interference fit is created. Braking on a polished rim sidewall is a bit like that. Maybe one of the material science engineers (who absolutely ambush me here on these forums) can speak to the crystalline structure of different hardnesses and surface finishes for aluminum used in typical clincher rims.

One of these days I am going to give Velocity a call and ask about their polished rims. I thought I heard that they sub them out to a Harley Davidson motorcycle polishing shop. I purchased a set of the Aileron disc specific rims in polished for a disc bike that I really need to finish. Running a bike with these I think would look cool and also afford me the luxury of not worrying so much about the state of my rim brakes and sidewalls, LoL.

Last edited by masi61; 11-06-20 at 12:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.