Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

"Dork Disk"

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-20, 08:02 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
"Dork Disk"

Howdy folks
Was riding my old mtn bike in the forest preserve today and the yellowed, brittle old "dork disk" finally crumbled to pieces and basically fell off. Now, I know dork disks are deeply uncool in these parts, but apart from that, is it worth my while to replace it? If I go on and ride without it, am I risking some sort of catastrophic failure where the chain skips off the biggest sprocket and gets entangled in the spokes, locking up the wheel and sending me over the handlebars? Thanks for your advice as always.
Old 12-19-20, 08:18 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
If your rear derailleur set screws are properly adjusted, you have almost no worry of your chain wrapping up in your wheel, which is why lots of people remove them. That and they're ugly.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 12-19-20, 08:24 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If the rear wheel locks up you won’t go over the bars.

Do you need one on a mountain bike? It depends how you shift. If you end up forcing downshifts and overstressing the drivetrain a chain plate can pull apart and/or you can pull the rear derailleur off and it is possible to drive it into the spokes, more so with a steel frame without a separate hanger.

If it is too catastrophic, it may not help.

But if you anticipate and have good shifting technique, you don’t need one.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 12-19-20 at 08:27 PM.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 12-19-20, 08:44 PM
OuterMarker

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
For me, I don't like dork disks for aesthetic reasons. They are only useful for people who don't maintain their bike or know how to shift. After cleaning my bikes, I check the alignmenet. Every 500 miles, I check the limit screws to make sure the chain can't go over the biggest cog into the wheel.

For all the people who want to keep the dork disk because they think it's safer, the OP just threw a wrench into that logic... The Op's DORK DISC is what failed! What if it broke a spoke?! I never kept a dork disc on long enough to fail, but now I have another reason to remove them.
Old 12-19-20, 08:57 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
I've seen said disks that were just slightly larger than the diameter of the largest cog, black colored and somewhat discreet. I'm assuming the disk occupied enough space so the chain wouldn't fall into the hub.
Old 12-19-20, 09:04 PM
OuterMarker

Originally Posted by MudPie
I've seen said disks that were just slightly larger than the diameter of the largest cog, black colored and somewhat discreet. I'm assuming the disk occupied enough space so the chain wouldn't fall into the hub.
Or the owner over lubed their chain and road in the wet conditions causing dirt to fly off onto the dork disk???
Old 12-19-20, 09:16 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Anyone who's worked in a shop long enough has seen the effects of a rear der in the wheel. the disc won't stop it from happening in some situations but I've seen it help. My kids have them on their bikes and I knew that the oldest had bent her hanger on a MTB ride when I heard the der rubbing on the disc which did keep it out of the spokes.
On the other hand I don't have a wheel on any of my bikes that has one.
Old 12-19-20, 09:23 PM
cyclingarri
All Ass No Gas

Bikes: 1988 Peugeot St. Laurent, 1974 UO18 Peugeot, 1985 P16 Peugeot, Roadmaster Ground Assult Mtn. Sport, Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Iseran Peugeot, Junet Mixte

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Depends on Bike

I think it depends on the type of bike and year it was made. On Vintage bikes I think they look awesome. Kept clean and shiny they add to look of the bike. But the plastic ones once they've yellowed are plain ugly. As far as spacing, in my exp. especially with vintage bikes they are there to provide protection. The "dork disc" was not flat and provided protection from overshifting which is very easy to do on friction shifting.
Likes For cyclingarri:
Old 12-19-20, 09:32 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclingarri
On Vintage bikes I think they look awesome. Kept clean and shiny they add to look of the bike.
A shiny, 40 year old "dork disk", reflectors and "turkey levers" or anything else that would have been ripped off and trashed being still intact makes a survivor bike a little more special IMHO.
Old 12-19-20, 09:50 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
^^^ Yes. Some dork disks, oops I mean pie plates, will never break... and removing them would wreck the look of the bike.

Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 12-19-20, 11:42 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
When I rebuild bikes(usually from the 70's and 80's) I always put spoke protectors on them, I also put reflectors on the spokes, pedals, and front and rear on the frame. The bike exchange requires them on all of our donation and sale bikes. Throw the chain into the spokes and you will ruin about half of the spokes on that wheel. Ride at night and you can get a ticket if you don't have reflectors and lights. A bike is almost invisible at night without them and anytime you hit a car or it hits you you loose big time, says someone who spent 2 weeks in hospital with 2 broken ribs, a punctured lung , and a bruised kidney after colliding with a car. there is nothing uncool about safety.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 12-20-20, 07:55 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Did a 3 day ride on the GAP trail. At the end of the second day my buddy's 35 year old bike threw the last of his already busted up dork disc. At the start of the third day he jammed the chain in between the spokes and freewheel when pumping up a steep hill in traffic. Luckily some guy stopped with a truck full of tools or I think we would still be on the side of the road trying to get that chain free. People from the Pittsburgh area are super nice.

I don't have a single bike with a dork disc, but honestly have to wonder why sometimes.
Old 12-20-20, 08:22 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
I just replaced the dork disk on a Bridgestone, someone got smart removed and then munched the chain torching all of the elbow out spokes. New spokes and now Dork on.

Sounds better than Dork off.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 12-20-20, 09:29 AM
OuterMarker

Originally Posted by capnjonny
A bike is almost invisible at night without them and anytime you hit a car or it hits you you loose big time, says someone who spent 2 weeks in hospital with 2 broken ribs, a punctured lung , and a bruised kidney after colliding with a car. there is nothing uncool about safety.
Why not just use lights? Rather than relying on a car's headlights to illuminate the reflectors, just use your own lights so the driver can see you BEFORE their headlights reach you? When I ride at night, I've got a rear light, a front light, and small lights shoes and helmet. The batteries last 17 hours and are charged after every ride.
Old 12-20-20, 11:12 AM
ARider2

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
When I rebuild bikes(usually from the 70's and 80's) I always put spoke protectors on them, I also put reflectors on the spokes, pedals, and front and rear on the frame. The bike exchange requires them on all of our donation and sale bikes. Throw the chain into the spokes and you will ruin about half of the spokes on that wheel. Ride at night and you can get a ticket if you don't have reflectors and lights. A bike is almost invisible at night without them and anytime you hit a car or it hits you you loose big time, says someone who spent 2 weeks in hospital with 2 broken ribs, a punctured lung , and a bruised kidney after colliding with a car. there is nothing uncool about safety.
+1 I always recommend replacement of spoke protectors on bikes with rear derailleurs because it can help reduce or eliminate damage to spokes from the chain in the event the rear derailleur moves too far when downshifting to the lowest gear (shifting to the largest cog). On a mountain bike the rear derailleur can easily get knocked out of alignment if it brushes against something during an off-road trail ride. Any bike with a rear derailleur that is knocked over on it's drive side can suffer a bent derailleur hanger. A strong gust of wind can push a bicycle over resulting in a bent hanger. Finally, if the derailleur low limit gets out of adjustment it can allow the chain to skip past the largest cog and move toward the chain causing damage to the spokes. Once the derailleur is out of alignment or mis-adjusted all it takes is downshifting into the lowest gear to shove the chain into the spokes. If a spoke protector is there it may reduce or eliminate damage to the spokes.

As far as reflectors, I always recommend replacement of missing reflectors on the front and rear of the bike as well as reflectors in the spokes front and rear. These items are required to be mounted on all new bicycles by the federal CPSC and for good reason. I can see not putting them on a vintage bike that never had them that will never be rode at night or in bad weather.
Old 12-20-20, 12:40 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I don't have dork discs on my bikes, however, check carefully the adjustment of the RD.

I had to remove the cassette once as the chain fell between it and the spokes and I couldn't remove it by hand. Fortunately it happened on my front door.

They're ugly, they make noise, some of them are crap, but they serve a function.
Old 12-20-20, 01:04 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I don't have idiot dork discs on my bikes. I have spoke protectors. A rare but occasional missed shift can score the outer spokes and they will eventually break from fatigue. After an overhaul years ago I forgot the Spoke Protector and at a busy intersection I missed a shift and dropped my chain. A few rides latter a spoke broke. When I went to replace it that 8 others had been cut so I replaced them all.
The limit screws were properly adjusted.
Old 12-20-20, 01:10 PM
OuterMarker

Originally Posted by davidad
... at a busy intersection I missed a shift and dropped my chain.
Originally Posted by davidad
The limit screws were properly adjusted.
These two statements are mutually exclusive. The limit screw prevents the derailleur from going beyond the largest cog. If it is set correctly, the derailleur cannot physically get the chain over the cog.
Old 12-20-20, 01:23 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
Another thing about spoke protectors , (lets not be hatters and use some slur to name them eh?)

You have to use different kinds dependent on the spoke count and whether you have a freewheel or free hub. There are different sizes depending on the largest cog and also different materials used. On entry level bike boom models you had chrome steel (along with steel rims), on higher end vintage bikes you had Aluminum disks. You might also see disks with aluminum centers and plastic on the outside. These all have a round hole in the center that fits over the freewheel hub.

Another type has a larger hole in the center with at least 2 types of attachment. These can be used on freewheels or freehubs. the first type has tabs that attach directly to the hub flange. a second type has tabs that slide over the individual spokes. These Spoke protectors are different depending on whether the wheel has 32 or 36 spokes.

On really extreme wheels with ridiculously low spoke counts I have never seen protectors. They may exist but the bike shops remove them before sale.

Actually, I get most of my reflectors and spoke protectors from a high end bike shop. They never use them. The kind of customers they get probably don't do their own repairs so when they trash a wheel with the chain in the spokes they just go in to the shop and buy a new one. when you are spending thousands on a bicycle you can afford it and for the bike shop it is guaranteed business.

Last edited by capnjonny; 01-09-21 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-20-20, 04:04 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 227 Posts
Yellowed plastic I discard. Chrome beauties on vintage bikes I keep.

Old 12-20-20, 04:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
At least for modern bikes they are designed as trash they frequently cause more problems then they are worth (plenty of builders coming to me say "warranty, warranty:" and I pull of the plastic disc and problem goes away). If you take care of your bike and make sure your derailleur is properly adjusted it won't go into the spokes and if you hanger or derailleurs bends or breaks that little cheap plastic disk ain't gonna do much to help you. A bike should be well maintained anyway and if you are not doing that you will have many more problems that a plastic disc cannot solve. A well maintained bike is a happy bike and a happy bike is a happy rider and a happy rider is all right with me : )

Some of the vintage ones however can be quite nice as browngw has shown us. That Sekine one actually gets my heart a tiny flutter.
Old 12-20-20, 08:20 PM
luns

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OuterMarker
These two statements are mutually exclusive. The limit screw prevents the derailleur from going beyond the largest cog. If it is set correctly, the derailleur cannot physically get the chain over the cog.
There was one time I was coasting along slowly checking out a then new construction area. I started to backpedal a little to set things up to trackstand for a longer look, and in the process, the chain decided it wanted a closer look at the hub flange. It was long enough ago I don't remember whether I'd hit a bump at the wrong instant, or if my chain had just gone slack from losing engagement with the chainrings, but however thins unfoded, it severely gouged out 8 spokes.

My limit screws were set correctly.

When the chain comes off the chainrings, there's enough slack that the rear derailleur doesn't track the rear sprockets closely as normal. In this event, even with the limit screw set correctly, the chain can easily walk off the sprocket.

That incident was the last straw, having already replaced the 8 spokes after a similar incident a few years prior. The spoke protector I'd found had a nice ledge on it, so of the chain goes past the large sprocket, it rides up on the ledge rather than down into the gap behind the freewheel.

Luckily these derailment events always seemed to happen to me at low speeds - I've never had one happen when the chain getting caught up and locking up the rear wheel would cause a real safety issue. Since putting in a third-eye chain watcher and the spoke protector, nearly 20 years ago, I haven't had a problem since.
Old 12-20-20, 08:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by luns
There was one time I was coasting along slowly checking out a then new construction area. I started to backpedal a little to set things up to trackstand for a longer look, and in the process, the chain decided it wanted a closer look at the hub flange. It was long enough ago I don't remember whether I'd hit a bump at the wrong instant, or if my chain had just gone slack from losing engagement with the chainrings, but however thins unfoded, it severely gouged out 8 spokes.

My limit screws were set correctly.

When the chain comes off the chainrings, there's enough slack that the rear derailleur doesn't track the rear sprockets closely as normal. In this event, even with the limit screw set correctly, the chain can easily walk off the sprocket.

That incident was the last straw, having already replaced the 8 spokes after a similar incident a few years prior. The spoke protector I'd found had a nice ledge on it, so of the chain goes past the large sprocket, it rides up on the ledge rather than down into the gap behind the freewheel.

Luckily these derailment events always seemed to happen to me at low speeds - I've never had one happen when the chain getting caught up and locking up the rear wheel would cause a real safety issue. Since putting in a third-eye chain watcher and the spoke protector, nearly 20 years ago, I haven't had a problem since.
Would be curious to know who is doing your work and what derailleurs you have?
Old 12-20-20, 11:58 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I'm not cool enough to ride without a dork disk.

As long as they are not yellowed or broken plastic, I use them. If they are properly installed, and the right size, they don't look out of place to me. I'm very careful with my dérailleur limit screws, but it's extra protection, so I have one on all my wheels. I've even acquired a small stash of spoke protectors since a few home mechanics I know save them for me.

The majority of riders I know that have thrown a chain into the spokes say their limit screws were properly adjusted.
Old 12-21-20, 12:15 AM
neutrinocounter

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Trek MultiTrack

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
One of my bikes has a yellowed plastic spoke protector that says "28 tooth max". If I change my freewheel to a 34 tooth low gear, where do I find a nice, classy protector to accommodate? Are there thickness differences? How about axle/hug hole size?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.