Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike hoarding was the sensible buyer behavior

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-28-20, 11:01 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

From 2012-2018 I accumulated an expanded stable of vintage and modern bikes. More that I'll ever use in a year. It was just 2 or 4 new acquisitions a year, but the assortment is beyond anything normal. This year, finding a bike in my size with the features I might seek is nearly impossible.

So, if hoarding was smart then, is selling smart now?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-28-20 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-28-20, 11:19 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
If you have to ask, you’ve probably already waited too long.

New Yorker cartoon: Father, to his son proudly being photographed with diploma and mortarboard: “Four years of business school and all you learned was, ‘Buy cheap and sell dear.’?”

I would go with what your sig. says and just enjoy your hobby. Sell whatever doesn’t feel like your friend if the clutter annoys you.
Old 12-28-20, 11:28 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Are you enjoying the hobby?
  • Yes
  • No
The answer you choose will answer your question.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 12-28-20 at 11:47 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-28-20, 11:28 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Correct fit (were talking about stuff like top tube length, stack and reach, not just seat tube length) will always take priority over whatever features you want.

Spring time would be a better time to put some bikes up for sale. Provided that you got at least one proper fitting bike already, enjoy it and don't stress.

How do your vintage bikes compare in quality and performance compared to the newer stuff?
Old 12-28-20, 11:40 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by Moisture
How do your vintage bikes compare in quality and performance compared to the newer stuff?
I find that all my bikes have a place in my heart for a variety of good reasons. However, I plan to relocate and have decided I really won't have the room for an expanded collection. So I'm planning on keeping 2 vintage bikes and two or three modern bikes. Selling anything I have now won't be easy due to a sense of attachment.

Modern bikes get some preferential consideration due to gearing. Both of my "keeper" vintage bikes have triples and I won't attempt to ride a hilly route without appropriate gearing. My modern keeper bikes have doubles but these bikes have the kind of gearing found on 2x11 gravel bikes.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-28-20, 11:45 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I've toned it way down. Twenty-four months ago, I was an incredible bike hoarder. I mustered the courage to sell off most of it. I still have about 20 frames to build up, and 10 wheelsets, not to mention bins full of parts, but its a LOT nicer to be able to walk around my shop and barn now.

And that's only the fringe benefits of being able to realize what the bike boom was doing to the used bike market even before the pandemic. I'll still build a few wheels and assemble a couple bikes, but on the whole I think I'll just relax and enjoy what I have.
Old 12-28-20, 11:53 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
I think the "smart" time to start selling would have been this past spring during the supply shortage and glut of demand, but that time has passed. I almost sold my MTB, but I like it, so I kept it, and I don't regret it. If you didn't get into this for the business, don't start now...

That being said, it sounds like your situation is that you expect to sell due to some life changes, and I would think the same general rules apply -- sell in the spring/summer, post clean pics, be willing to negotiate if you want to move stuff.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 12-28-20, 12:41 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I think the next season will be just as popular, if not more so. Only difference would be manufacturers better prepared for the demand.

I ride year round, so I dont care. Other than the fact my bike is always caked in grit and dirt, lol.

i think that the tooth count of each specific cog would be more important than how many gears you have total. As well as chainring tooth count, of course.

Otherwise, I find that vintage bikes seem to be made using higher quality and more durable materials.
Old 12-28-20, 12:44 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Well, you used a trailer at Coppi.
Make that your limit?
Old 12-28-20, 01:25 PM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
My limit is going to end up being storage space! There are only so many complete bikes which can fit in my basement workshop--- (or at least there's a point at which my wife's raised eyebrows will get very hard to withstand.....). Bare frames are a bit easier to store/hide, I guess....

My affection does not seem to have a limit. I try to ride every day, so I get to ride most of my collection at least a few times a month.

I agree with the poster who said that your pleasure in the hobby should be your guide--- it's still a pretty cheap/healthy way to enjoy your time on the planet. (Though I wish I didn't like expensive tires so much--- that's the part of trying to ride all my bikes that gets pretty pricy!)

Old cars are far worse on every front: storage, cost, price of part, difficulty of repair..... ask me how I know.

N
Old 12-28-20, 02:18 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el

Old cars are far worse on every front: storage, cost, price of part, difficulty of repair..... ask me how I know.

N
ha! i know of some 4x4 rock crawler folks that went from spending gobs on trucks only to tear them up on the rocks to collecting/building bicycles
Old 12-28-20, 02:29 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
^^^^^^
Not necessarily....I have never bought anything that I did not like, I am not investment-minded but IMHO, buying the right cars for the right price is better than buying bikes....ask me how I know.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 12-28-20, 03:07 PM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
The unloved collectibles?

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
^^^^^^
Not necessarily....I have never bought anything that I did not like, I am not investment-minded but IMHO, buying the right cars for the right price is better than buying bikes....ask me how I know.
Best, Ben
Good point---- buying a Porsche 911 in the 70's or 80s and hanging on to it would have paid off very nicely. Or even a BMW 2002 or Datsun 410, which were relatively cheap and easy to find as recently as the 90's would have paid off---- assuming you have both space for storage and the technical know-how to do most of your own repairs...

My problem was (is) that I tend to love the things others ignore--- so I had Corvairs, which started as an unloved/cult car, and has stayed that way! I still love Corvairs for all their technical quirks, but they never really took off in value. (Plus I no longer have a barn to keep big toys like that warm and dry....probably good that I don't, otherwise I'd just collect a lot more stuff....)

N
Old 12-28-20, 03:20 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by no67el
Good point---- buying a Porsche 911 in the 70's or 80s and hanging on to it would have paid off very nicely. Or even a BMW 2002 or Datsun 410, which were relatively cheap and easy to find as recently as the 90's would have paid off---- assuming you have both space for storage and the technical know-how to do most of your own repairs...

My problem was (is) that I tend to love the things others ignore--- so I had Corvairs, which started as an unloved/cult car, and has stayed that way! I still love Corvairs for all their technical quirks, but they never really took off in value. (Plus I no longer have a barn to keep big toys like that warm and dry....probably good that I don't, otherwise I'd just collect a lot more stuff....)

N
Nothing wrong with Corsa's or John Fitch

180 h.p.

Old 12-28-20, 03:22 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 984 Posts
This summer, and long before that, I thought that going to four bikes--certainly three--would be akin to cutting limbs. A revolving door of seven to eight bikes, all with clever small-apartment organization/"storage" solutions. Nice bikes, too. Special ones. Life can send one on interesting paths, and rather quickly. I got down to five bikes and was able to reorganize some furniture. Then four and I was able to have bikes either all in the living room/area or all in the bedroom. Sold a bucket load of spare wheels and components--a lot of my favorite kinds of parts (Dura-Ace, primarily). It took conviction to stick to the task of fleet and part reduction, but it has been very beneficial in a number of ways. I didn't ever expect to do so, but here I am with a single complete bike, a single spare frameset set to be sold this afternoon, and a relative paucity of components just three months after the start of all of this.

I still have my limbs, and my heart! I do love the simplicity, the space, the bike I do have (of course!), and the fact that a bunch of parts are going to enthusiastic new homes to be put on frames that will see the road.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 12-28-20, 03:23 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
So, if hoarding was smart then, is selling smart now?
Yes, sell off what you don't love. Helps if you can break that emotional attachment.

Bikes that would of sat till March last year (even in California), are selling in December for close to asking. These were mainly rider quality bikes though, nothing special.
Old 12-28-20, 03:30 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Well, you used a trailer at Coppi.
Make that your limit?
The next pack-up will be a a 20 ft intermodal sea container, but only a few bikes will survive the cull.
Old 12-28-20, 03:35 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
This summer, and long before that, I thought that going to four bikes--certainly three--would be akin to cutting limbs. A revolving door of seven to eight bikes, all with clever small-apartment organization/"storage" solutions. Nice bikes, too. Special ones. Life can send one on interesting paths, and rather quickly. I got down to five bikes and was able to reorganize some furniture. Then four and I was able to have bikes either all in the living room/area or all in the bedroom. Sold a bucket load of spare wheels and components--a lot of my favorite kinds of parts (Dura-Ace, primarily). It took conviction to stick to the task of fleet and part reduction, but it has been very beneficial in a number of ways. I didn't ever expect to do so, but here I am with a single complete bike, a single spare frameset set to be sold this afternoon, and a relative paucity of components just three months after the start of all of this.

I still have my limbs, and my heart! I do love the simplicity, the space, the bike I do have (of course!), and the fact that a bunch of parts are going to enthusiastic new homes to be put on frames that will see the road.
Congrats! Seriously, it's a formidable task. What selling medium was most convenient for you?
Old 12-28-20, 04:22 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 984 Posts
Congrats! Seriously, it's a formidable task. What selling medium was most convenient for you?
Thanks! It has required dedication, and I have grumbled a bit, but it's been very much worth it. I use Craigslist exclusively. Seattle remains a great market by virtue of population and interest in cycling. Non-eBay/shipping may slow me down on a few things, but I've moved along several items or groupsets that I thought would be with me forever (or nearly so). Sometimes that requires easing on price and making it up somewhere else, but in general, I'm not out for profit. Breaking even is the goal (minus any labor for, say, building a frame into a bike), and I've done pretty well at that while learning and using those bikes/components/etc for however long I did.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 12-28-20, 05:49 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
I find that all my bikes have a place in my heart for a variety of good reasons. However, I plan to relocate and have decided I really won't have the room for an expanded collection. So I'm planning on keeping 2 vintage bikes and two or three modern bikes. Selling anything I have now won't be easy due to a sense of attachment.

Modern bikes get some preferential consideration due to gearing. Both of my "keeper" vintage bikes have triples and I won't attempt to ride a hilly route without appropriate gearing. My modern keeper bikes have doubles but these bikes have the kind of gearing found on 2x11 gravel bikes.
I'm pretty much in the same situation as you,moving-wise. So I ended up having to sell most of my herd. In a month since mid-November I've sold 11 of them. Some of them I still think about (lol) BUT I set my mind to just turn around and let them go. I had fun rebuilding them then riding them and I guess it's time for another "caretaker" to take over.
Like others have said, probably too late now(although I did just sell my GT Karakoram two days ago) and just wait until Spring if you can.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 12-28-20, 05:54 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Are you enjoying the hobby?
  • Yes
  • No
The answer you choose will answer your question.

-Kurt
Hobbies can be more enjoyable if you get the feeling that you're making a good investment.
Old 12-28-20, 06:01 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,710 Times in 1,393 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Hobbies can be more enjoyable if you get the feeling that you're making a good investment.
Investing as a hobby? Only if you are a banker.
Old 12-28-20, 06:03 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
I had considered my collection "complete," but then I found a littermate to my Capo Sieger on eBay, and then my wife's younger sister needed to find a home for her Carlton Franco Suisse, and both were 55cm C-T.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-28-20, 06:12 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
That's not what I said. Even if I'm not looking for an ROI, it's somewhat satisfying if the potential for ROI happens as a side effect.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 12-28-20, 06:14 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by tyrion
Originally Posted by iab
Correct.
Best, Ben

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.