Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

need to know what tools needed

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-19-21, 01:53 AM
kracksmith

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I have a 2008 Specialized Globe Centrum Elite IG3 and plan to install a CYC X1 Pro Gen2 electric kit to it for the 3000 watts version. I need to know the kind and size of the tool to remove the crank arms and chainring so i can get the bottom jack shaft off of it.

I think i will mainly only need 2 of the mention specialty tool as i work on my own honda and have plenty of other tools for this job.

thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-21, 07:20 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Without seeing the crank and bottom bracket, a guess would be 1) a crank extractor like the Park CCP-22, and 2) a bottom bracket tool like the BBT-22. Be aware the right side of the bottom bracket has a left-hand thread, as does the left pedal.
Old 02-19-21, 08:30 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
A reliable multimeter for voltage and continuity?
Old 02-19-21, 11:24 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Specialized makes a whole line of reliable durable e-bikes you should check them out before going down the kit bike rabbit hole.
Old 02-19-21, 01:02 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
You might want to rethink running a 3000 watt motor with a 3 speed internal gear hub. It was never meant to withstand that sort of power
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 02-20-21, 02:28 AM
kracksmith

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
thanks for all your input guys, really helped out.

I prefer not to buy a new e-bike as the cost of a 3000 Watts would be way over my budget and i really like my style bike. as for the 3spd hub, if i don't' plan to bash this ride i assume it should be ok? from what i understand, the internal hub gear is locked in place and ill be gunning it when i have some decent speed, or if this 3speed internal gear is that delicate i will just need to baby the throttle.
Old 02-20-21, 10:21 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I predict a thread titled "I broke my 2008 Specialized Globe Centrum Elite IG3 frame" in 30-60 days.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-20-21, 10:48 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
3000 watts is a very powerful motor. 3000 watts is about 10 times as powerful as what an elite cyclist can put out continually. Your bike is not designed for a setup like that.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 02-20-21, 01:16 PM
kracksmith

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
breaking what? would it be the 3000watts torque off the line racing cars from a signal light, or would it be the 20 miles trip at full speed?

I don't think i would do either one of those. I prefer a powerful motor when needed to be there to not pedal going up hill, also giving it some throttle from 10 to 40 once in awhile isn't going to break the 3spd hub.

I'm comparing the same logic as putting in a v8 in a 1985 toyota trunk. The power for pick up speed is there going on a fwy on ramp. or giving it some throttle going up a steep hill. but yes if i use this trunk with V8 to drag race, or race top speed for awhile, yes things will break.

I do understand more watts available the more chances i will use it, and this drains the battery worst. so maybe i should just tone it down and get the cyc x1 pro stealth which is 1500 watts. i'm looking for more distance really than power and speed.
Old 02-20-21, 01:39 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
...I don't understand why you would not perform this conversion (given your stated objectives), by simply buying one of those swell purpose built electric hubs and building a drive wheel around it (usually you see them added in the front). I think you can buy them already built into a wheel as well. It's nowhere near 3000 watts, but it seems to be popular with the e-bike crowd.

Have you asked your question in the special, dedicated e-bike forum here ? I'm going to assume they know a lot more than I do about using an electric motor to propel your bicycle.
Old 02-20-21, 01:45 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by kracksmith
breaking what? would it be the 3000watts torque off the line racing cars from a signal light, or would it be the 20 miles trip at full speed?

...not certain whether you have ever had a 3 speed IGH apart, to repair something internal ? I don't know your particular hub, but in the SA 3 speed hubs I've dismantled and rebuilt, the most likely points of failure under this sort of loading would be either the pawls or the clutch pins. No idea about the internals of yours, but maybe you can find a picture online.

There are a lot off Youtube videos on servicing SA 3 speed hubs. If you look at one, you'll see what I'm talking about in terms of the places where the force is applied to small parts.
Old 02-20-21, 03:33 PM
kracksmith

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry yes this post kind of lead off topic. My original questions was just about tooling. I'll go check out that forum.

To answer your question. I don't like hub motors, for balancing sake, I like mid engine driven motor. Plus I like the reputable company CYC which is well designed and built. I'm shooting for the 3000 watts version but may reconsider to the 1500 watts stealth instead. I'm looking for distance and avoid all possible to use too much battery in a trip.

The 3spd that I have is a Shimano SG-3C41 IG3-speed, still not sure how durable this is for a e-bike but again, not bashing it when I ride. Just casual throttle it when needed.

What I like about this bike is the styling and how nimble it is with the lightness, and 26" rims. I may need to go to a wider tires through. So someday if I don't want the electric engine I can convert it back to stock. What i don't want is many bikes to own, I don't have the spacing for the storage. Also electric bike technology develops at a super fast pace. If I were to buy a e-bike, 3-5 years from now, it'll surpass what I would of bought, then it's like every 4 years I would have to buy a new ebike and they aren't cheap for a good mid motor drive. This kit will allow me to just sell the older kit and buy a newer kit. Buying and selling electric bike kit is much cheaper and easier to sell with less money lost when sold.

Last edited by kracksmith; 02-20-21 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-20-21, 03:51 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
3000 watts is a very powerful motor. 3000 watts is about 10 times as powerful as what an elite cyclist can put out continually. Your bike is not designed for a setup like that.
plus its far more then needed. my bosch puts out nominal 300 watts though. guess the peak is around 600 and I can climb 20% grades with it. I never found it under powered expect on super steep grades and those are few and far between.
Old 02-20-21, 04:27 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by kracksmith
Sorry yes this post kind of lead off topic. My original questions was just about tooling. I'll go check out that forum.

To answer your question. I don't like hub motors, for balancing sake, I like mid engine driven motor. Plus I like the reputable company CYC which is well designed and built. I'm shooting for the 3000 watts version but may reconsider to the 1500 watts stealth instead. I'm looking for distance and avoid all possible to use too much battery in a trip.

The 3spd that I have is a Shimano SG-3C41 IG3-speed, still not sure how durable this is for a e-bike but again, not bashing it when I ride. Just casual throttle it when needed.

What I like about this bike is the styling and how nimble it is with the lightness, and 26" rims. I may need to go to a wider tires through. So someday if I don't want the electric engine I can convert it back to stock. What i don't want is many bikes to own, I don't have the spacing for the storage. Also electric bike technology develops at a super fast pace. If I were to buy a e-bike, 3-5 years from now, it'll surpass what I would of bought, then it's like every 4 years I would have to buy a new ebike and they aren't cheap for a good mid motor drive. This kit will allow me to just sell the older kit and buy a newer kit. Buying and selling electric bike kit is much cheaper and easier to sell with less money lost when sold.
...sorry, but I honestly do not understand how having a hub placement for your motor upsets "balance".
If anything, from what little I know about the physics of this balance issue from Bicycling Science, a hub placement for all that weight ought to be preferable to a motor added to the frame.

As for the rest off what you presume above, if you build a wheel around the hub motor, you can use any rim and tyre you desire.

I can find fewer easier and more sensible conversion options than these wheels. Again, from my own knowledge and experience base. Which with e-bikes is close to zero.

Old 02-20-21, 10:15 PM
kracksmith

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
"front hub placement for your motor upsets balance"

Well, for one if you're in a bit of loose gravel, or a bit of oil, front bike tire can peel out and you could fall from it. Going around turns fast could be unstable. Gears stuck or whatever stops the motion for a front wheel drive 2 wheeler is deadly. Front wheel drive car, ok. But 2 wheel drive having a front wheel pulling, I rather not chance it. Cost could be just 500-700 less overall. So for 500-700 more why not get something that looks nicer, mid motor driven, and it'll be a normal rear wheel drive 2 wheeler?

I'm not against anything else out there, I have looked at all options and came to choose the CYC X1 Pro Gen2 or the Stealth model Price difference is only 200 so i might just go for the 3000 watts engine. Yes once in awhile if i'm in a rush or a dog chasing me especially going up hill, I'll throttle fast from 10mph to close to top speed (40mph) in a straight away. I don't see this hurting my old 2008 bike in anyway if i don't bash it. For the most part, I'll just be cruising and enjoying the bike ride but when needed I want power to be there for me. Also this mid engine kit i want to get doesn't seem very hard to install too.