Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 01:51 PM
FryCap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Advice Needed

This will be a unique question but am looking for guidance/advice ~

I'm looking for a bike in many ways opposite of what most people want. I'd like something that I can get a good cardio workout - but not go fast. The trails near my house are either paved or gravel, but they just aren't conducive to going at higher speeds (curves, pedestrians, etc). At the same time, I'd like to get a decent cardio workout (120-140 bpm).

Would the best option be something with smaller wheels (16-20 inches) or does that not make a difference? I'm thinking smaller wheel size would equate to working harder but going slower - can anyone confirm this, or should I be looking at something different?

I saw an old post for a 20 inch wheel Raleigh Mini Velo but I don't think that bike is made anymore. The other options I have seen are folding bikes, but I don't know anything about them.

Opinions?

Last edited by FryCap; 03-11-21 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-11-21, 02:17 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
try a fix gear with 48 x 17 or 15 ............................................ in the alternative something stationary may be better

Old 03-11-21, 02:25 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I don't know if the wheels matter but I 2nd a spin bike for indoor use.
Old 03-11-21, 02:26 PM
101stairborne

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad; Lynkey Cooper CX

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
I suspect many people in your area don’t ride on the trails. There is probably some where else you can ride.
Old 03-11-21, 02:57 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by FryCap

I'm looking for a bike in many ways opposite of what most people want. I'd like something that I can get a good cardio workout - but not go fast. The trails near my house are either paved or gravel, but they just aren't conducive to going at higher speeds (curves, pedestrians, etc). At the same time, I'd like to get a decent cardio workout (120-140 bpm).

Would the best option be something with smaller wheels (16-20 inches) or does that not make a difference? I'm thinking smaller wheel size would equate to working harder but going slower - can anyone confirm this, or should I be looking at something different?

I saw an old post for a 20 inch wheel Raleigh Mini Velo but I don't think that bike is made anymore. The other options I have seen are folding bikes, but I don't know anything about them.

Opinions?
I wouldn't go for something with small wheels - my concern would be that they won't traverse gravel that well - a "pebble" that a 700C wheel will easily roll over might abruptly stop a 16" wheel, with you ending up on your face. If you want to expend more energy, a heavy upright/hybrid with thick bulletproof (ie, slow-rolling) tires, maybe a rear rack that you can tie a rock to for added weight. Such a bike will likely be pretty cheap - leave you enough to buy an indoor trainer as well.
Old 03-11-21, 03:02 PM
FryCap

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Enlighten me on a "fixed gear" - I'm new to this - Thx
Old 03-11-21, 03:05 PM
FryCap

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 101stairborne
I suspect many people in your area don’t ride on the trails. There is probably some where else you can ride.
To be honest, I am a little concerned with safety. I don't want to go real fast, years ago I did but even on a nice paved trail, hit a branch at about 20 mph that had fallen during the night and it could have been pretty bad. I know it sounds strange, but I'd like to get to 125 bpm at approx 10 mph... if that's poss??
Old 03-11-21, 03:06 PM
FryCap

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I wouldn't go for something with small wheels - my concern would be that they won't traverse gravel that well - a "pebble" that a 700C wheel will easily roll over might abruptly stop a 16" wheel, with you ending up on your face. If you want to expend more energy, a heavy upright/hybrid with thick bulletproof (ie, slow-rolling) tires, maybe a rear rack that you can tie a rock to for added weight. Such a bike will likely be pretty cheap - leave you enough to buy an indoor trainer as well.
If you have a make/model recommendation, I'd be happy to look it up - Thx
Old 03-11-21, 03:08 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
On flat ground, as you increase your speed, you'll quickly get to a point where the majority of your effort will go in to overcoming the drag of moving though the air. Simply going to smaller diameter wheels isn't going to change that equation meaningfully. Going to wheels with much, much higher rolling resistance might, though. A fat bike with 5" wide tires, maybe?

That or just ride on the road. Is there a reason that that's not an option?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-11-21, 03:10 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts

Opinions?
If I were you I'd get an older, inexpensive Trek (or similar) aluminium MTB, 26" wheels, from the 90s-00s, put new tyres on it, and use it for everything. Don't spend much until you know what you want.
Old 03-11-21, 03:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
To keep your HR up, you can just pedal in a low gear at a fast cadence and still remain at a comfortably slow speed.

If you aren't going to ride but for about an hour or less then something like this in a 7 speed might work

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...=%3Arelevance#

https://www.sixthreezero.com/collect...-7-speed-bikes

They have wide enough tires that they will be fine for packed gravel. Loose gravel, well, you'll just get an even better cardio workout! <grin>
Old 03-11-21, 03:21 PM
FryCap

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Appreciate all the replies. To summarize - I bike inside on a stationary over half the year due to cold/snowy conditions in Minnesota. By Spring, I'm ready to get outside. I'm a little concerned about safety and would like to limit my speed, but still want a half decent cardio workout. If I could find a bike that I go approx 10 mph and attain 120-130 bpm would fit what I'm looking for. - Fat tire, small tire, gears, etc... I'm all ears - please suggest make/models and I'll look them up. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-11-21, 03:31 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Enlighten me on a "fixed gear" - I'm new to this - Thx
It's a single-speed bike that doesn't coast. When you pedal forward, the wheel spins forward; when you pedal backwards, the wheel spins backwards. If you're moving, you're pedaling. I wouldn't recommend it for your application.

I really don't see how you're going to get the cardio workout you're looking for if you're only going 10 mph, unless you can find some hills to climb. Don't change the bike, change your route.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-11-21, 03:35 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
https://www.streetstrider.com/produc...EaAo3uEALw_wcB

https://americanhomefitness.com/prod...31806092574833

or

https://www.sportaid.com/top-end-for...caAoSlEALw_wcB
Old 03-11-21, 03:42 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Appreciate all the replies. To summarize - I bike inside on a stationary over half the year due to cold/snowy conditions in Minnesota. By Spring, I'm ready to get outside. I'm a little concerned about safety and would like to limit my speed, but still want a half decent cardio workout. If I could find a bike that I go approx 10 mph and attain 120-130 bpm would fit what I'm looking for. - Fat tire, small tire, gears, etc... I'm all ears - please suggest make/models and I'll look them up. Thanks everyone!
Why don't you take up cross country skiing in the winter? Much more all around workout than stationary biking, and much, much less tedious (IMHO, of course!)

As for the advice already given, I agree, find an inexpensive (but functional) old school mountain bike or a used fat tire bike. Of course, when you mention BPM's, that's not really helpful to people who don't know your level of fitness. But a heavy MTB or fat bike will be a good bet - and the big tires will handle any surface and be pretty comfortable. And as much as possible, go uphill.
Old 03-11-21, 03:42 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Go for a run... or build a heavyweight bike

My first thought is to forgo the bike idea & just go running. If you’re not adapted for running, try “Indian Style” of alternating brisk walking with periods of running. With increased adaptation, your running intervals will eventually become continuous....

How to maintain a high heart rate while only traveling ~10 mph? Maybe tow a child’s trailer with a child up to 100# or a dog or a bunch of fishing or gardening equipment in it. Fill two 5 gallon Homer buckets with water or sand and cap them with their lid and place them in your trailer. Then go haul them to the next river/bridge/city limits sign then return home.
Build a “heavy bike” with a heavy steel frame, fat tires that you run on low pressure, or get a custom tandem where you ride the rear while a front passenger (who doesn’t pedal) is carried in the front. Get a dedicated delivery bike (Trek makes one - think of a station wagon long wheelbase bike) and use it to pick up items from the grocery store...
Old 03-12-21, 12:51 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
High effort, high rpm and low ground speed are a hard combination to make work, especially on a bike path.
The easiest way, is to ride up hills, or the same hill, over and over.
A Single-speed or fixed-gear with a big chainring would probably do what you want, but it won't be easy to ride; at low speed it will be high effort, all the time, but at some point, the bike will pick up speed.

Better idea: get a regular bike, of any style, and just put a rubber band around the brake lever so that it drags all the time. That's pretty much how an exercise bike works, so it'd be the way to make your road bike work like one.

Last edited by Ironfish653; 03-12-21 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-12-21, 04:26 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Better idea: get a regular bike, of any style, and just put a rubber band around the brake lever so that it drags all the time. That's pretty much how an exercise bike works, so it'd be the way to make your road bike work like one.
Three practical choices: ride on the roads, ride on the grass on the side of the trail, or, as suggested above, use one or both of the brakes as a drag brake. The rubber band on the brake lever is a good idea, or (assuming that you have rim brakes) you could use the adjusters on the brake calipers for the same purpose.
Old 09-13-21, 01:38 PM
rickm45

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I ride an Elliptigo SUB (Stand Up Bike) for exactly the same reasons! I have a SUB which has 20" wheels. They have a couple more expensive SUBs with 27/700 wheels and then they have their line of elliptical bikes. I normally ride 4-5 miles and it is a good workout. I ride it for the cardio benefits, but you can feel it in your core as well as your quads. (I tell people it is like doing a few miles of walking lunges!) I feel it helps maintain your balance too. Plus all of the components are standard bike stuff. Any shop should be able to work on it and you can get replacement parts anywhere.

Highly recommended! There is a very active Elliptigo riders group on FB too.

https://www.elliptigo.com/bike-family/