Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fat guys on road bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fat guys on road bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-05, 07:16 AM
Mahoolihan

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yanno ... I got all y'all beat. I am at 364 lbs (down from 385 in February). I don't care what other people think of me ... I am out there riding, and enjoying the bejeezus out of it. My new longest ride is 32.5 miles, and my new high average is 11.4 mph. Not good enough to ride with most of you yet, but I will get there. I haven't had a lick of trouble with my 20yo Fuji and no problem with traffic (maybe because I am bigger than some of the compacts on the road lol). Biggus said, "At the end of the day its not the bike its the rider and anyone who rides is part of our worldwide club." I *really* appreciate that sentiment.
Old 09-12-05, 07:21 AM
4SEVEN3

Bikes: Trek 4300 converted into SS, Mongoose Cannan Elite, GT Pro Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mahoolihan
Yanno ... I got all y'all beat. I am at 364 lbs (down from 385 in February). I don't care what other people think of me ... I am out there riding, and enjoying the bejeezus out of it. My new longest ride is 32.5 miles, and my new high average is 11.4 mph. Not good enough to ride with most of you yet, but I will get there. I haven't had a lick of trouble with my 20yo Fuji and no problem with traffic (maybe because I am bigger than some of the compacts on the road lol). Biggus said, "At the end of the day its not the bike its the rider and anyone who rides is part of our worldwide club." I *really* appreciate that sentiment.

You Rock man! Keep up the good work!
Old 09-12-05, 07:55 AM
plin

Bikes: Decathlon 9.2, Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yanno ... I got all y'all beat. I am at 364 lbs (down from 385 in February). I don't care what other people think of me ... I am out there riding, and enjoying the bejeezus out of it.
I am curious about the type of wheels you use (how many spokes are there?) and tire pressure. Great spirit and keep riding!
Old 09-12-05, 08:03 AM
Evolution-06

Bikes: hardrock comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea, I am 6ft 1in and weigh in at around 240lbs. I dread the day i get a road bike because of all the finger pointing and such that revolves around the roadies cliche.

People dont realize that road bikes extremely help us heavy guys on the hills. Being able to bench 395lbs doesnt really help me when faced with a steep grade. My local bike store owner says that he cant wait to fit me and build me a road bike that will make really love the sport. He is more excited than I am (i think) and looking for the challenge. 62inch shoulders are going to require wider set of handlebars.

Last year I started riding my bike because I was too heavy to run. Now that I have dropped my weight, I ride to the local park, run 5 miles, and ride home.

Bottom line, cycling in any form is great exercise for your body and soul.
Old 09-12-05, 09:29 AM
Mahoolihan

Bikes: Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Chain and Plin. The tires I use are whatever came standard on the Fuji ... I'll have to count the spokes. I keep the tire pressure between 85 and 90 psi.

Evolution: Keep up the great work!
Old 09-12-05, 09:31 AM
MikeR
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dmotoguy
can you guys call my dad and tell him to ride.... he used to be in great shape.. at 48 he was working out every day, with an extremely healthy diet, and was always active. Now at 53 he has been eating cheeseburgers and drinking beer, hasnt worked out in 4 years, and has gained 40 lbs..

ive been trying everything to get him on a bike... mostly because i want him to be healthy again, and i wouldnt mind riding with him.. so i got him down to the LBS and he purchased a litespeed.. but hasnt touched it since... any tips on getting him off the couch..
Get 2 or 3 of your pretty, young girlfriends together for a ride. All of you stop by and invite dad for a ride. He'll pedal has socks off just to 'Prove' to himself that he still has it.
Old 09-12-05, 10:07 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent that you are out there riding. As one who has lost a lot of weight riding a bicycle, I can tell you it does get easier and you do get faster and the hills do become easier to climb as the weight comes off. I remember a few years ago I would be huffing and puffing all the time on every ride. That's gone now and I have to work on my leg muscles because my wind is not longer the limiting factor in my riding. Be proud that you're doing something to improve your fitness. I think it is very cool.
Old 09-12-05, 10:58 AM
snooker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to this board and a couple of years ago I finished playing football and am trying to get back into riding. I have been out of it for awhile and am trying to get smarter on them, basically figuring out what types (frames) are good for big guys. I'm 6'3 275lbs and am on a slight budget. Any help or info would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-12-05, 02:37 PM
Don Gwinn
Giant-Riding Ogre

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snooker, at 275 you can ride most of the quality stuff. I just did a metric century (62miles/100km) on my Giant OCR2. It's an aluminum road bike and I weighed 289.2 this morning. I rode it over rough stuff, including some really vicious chunks and potholes on a narrow bridge with traffic passing me, and it's held up so far. I don't have the stock wheels, though. My local bike shop substituted a pair of more standard wheels built in their shop with 32 spokes, and I've been very happy with them.

I showed up to do 40 and decided to do 62 after about 20 miles. I was able to average 15.1 over 62 miles, which I felt wasn't too shabby, but I was either last or close to it for that distance after a long stop for a flat tire that eventually required the loan of a pump from a SAG truck to get me back on the road after I broke my CO2 inflater. Now I'm looking to see if there's a true century I want to do around here in late October or early November so I can have time to truly work up to it. I can't wait to do 100!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Old 09-12-05, 02:39 PM
Don Gwinn
Giant-Riding Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, you were offensive line, right? You're a little big for a linebacker, and you spell too well to be "D" line.

Old 09-12-05, 02:58 PM
snooker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
Hey, you were offensive line, right? You're a little big for a linebacker, and you spell too well to be "D" line.
LOL . . . . . Actually, I was a defensive tackle but I did play at a pretty smart school though (Georgia Tech). I actually played at 300lbs so I have lost some of it.
Old 09-12-05, 03:20 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I started riding again in April after a five year layoff (long story). I'm 47. I'm 5'11". I was 208 in March. I was 165lbs this AM. Hey, Lance is also 5'11", 165lbs. so at least we have that in common.

I have nothing against Fat Guys in Lycra. I just hated being one. And they don't last long on the rides I try to hang on. I'd like to get back into racing (before my back injuries I raced for nearly 10 years), but we'll see if that ever happens. I'm getting there.

And for me EVERY ride is competitive. Hell, I compete against myself. In a way I wish I could help myself, but I can't, so why bother? I love it when somebody says 'yeah, we'll go easy today, this ride isn't a race'. Uh-huh. Yet somehow all the group rides I've ever been in turn out to be a race. So it's not just me. There are plenty of days when I don't want to hammer. It only takes one guy who wants to - and another one dumb enough to try and chase him.
Old 09-12-05, 03:27 PM
Doid23

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, 1989 Nishiki International, Specialized Stumpjumer M2 Hardtail, ProFlex 856 Full Suspension

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, he spells well, but they also considered that he was too athletic to be wasted on the offensive line, so they switched him to D Line

Hey Snooker, from another former 300+ pound D Tackle, biking is a great way to get back in shape, and trust me, your knees are going to thank you. After years of pounding away on turf with the excess baggage, it's a relief to glide down the road. And I second the wheels, no need to go expensive, but 32 spokes at least are a big help in terms of durability.
Old 09-12-05, 03:37 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
By the way, Fat Guys in Lycra look more silly than the rest of us do (all of us look a bit silly in lycra, let's face it) but at least they're out there exercising. I don't care if you wear a Bozo outfit - you get deserve 10x more respect than some cool looking dude sitting at home drinking beer and watching TV. If I really gave a s*** about what the world thinks of me in a bicycle getup it might concern me. It does not.

That being said, while it is not important to ride like a pro, it is important to LOOK like a pro - as much as possible. So please guys, ditch the little bags strapped under the saddle and just stuff the spare tube and tire levers in your jersey pocket : ).
Old 09-12-05, 04:10 PM
J Rad

Bikes: Trek 900 MTB with Manatou Shocks, Just got a 2004 fuji Roubaix for less than $700!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW Great Thread!
I too am a Clydesdale! 6'2" 250. I just started riding in July. I have actually gained 5 lbs since I started. Decided the best thing to do was to throw out my scale! That felt better then my first 30 mile ride!!! ; )

I hope that I can lose some weight but it is not why I ride. I ride cuz it is a blast. My wife is a runner so trying to run with her is like watching a Waterbuffalo chase a Gazelle! Not pretty! So I Ride!!! I think of my son, my wife and my health... not my weight! I also remember my mother saying "F**K'em if they can't take a joke!"
Me in Spandex is deffinitley a joke.

Keep up the great work all! Pedal on!!!
Old 09-12-05, 05:24 PM
ExMachina
Senior, Senior Member

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

I don't think 'fat' or not is the issue here. The issue here is are you overweight, by medical standards? If you are - you will suffer with your health.
BMI is a statistical device invented by public health officials to describe and classify populations. It's an expedient, correlating basic quantitative information with whatever qualitative condition (health, economic, etc) is being studied.

Its predictive power is only as accurate (and extensive) as the studies in which it is employed.

Interestingly, a few recent studies looking specifically at BMI vis-à-vis life expectancy, show a statistical advantage to being slightly overweight!

"Overweight was not associated with excess mortality (-86,094 deaths; 95% CI, -161,223 to -10,966).
Underweight and obesity, particularly higher levels of obesity, were associated with increased mortality relative to the normal weight category."
---JAMA. 2005 Apr 20;293(15):1861-7.
Old 09-12-05, 08:21 PM
Swimjim

Bikes: Klein Quantum, Sanwa, Schwinn Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm about 225 pounds and I'll kick your A** on a hill. I can out climb almost all the grey hounds. And they have a hard time losing me on the flats for the first thirty miles. You can't judge a book by its cover.

Jim
Old 09-12-05, 08:35 PM
Don Gwinn
Giant-Riding Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL . . . . . Actually, I was a Potted Plant but I did play at a pretty smart school though (Georgia Tech). I actually played at 300lbs so I have lost some of it.
Fixed it for ya.

(I played both ways in high school, but I saw the light in college and learned the thinking man's game. Smartest thing I did, though, was realize that everyone on a college field was faster than I was and my grades were dropping. I went from a 2.7 to a 4.0 GPA when I quit football.)

Old 09-12-05, 08:51 PM
Evolution-06

Bikes: hardrock comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ExMachina
BMI is a statistical device invented by public health officials to describe and classify populations. It's an expedient, correlating basic quantitative information with whatever qualitative condition (health, economic, etc) is being studied.

Its predictive power is only as accurate (and extensive) as the studies in which it is employed.

Interestingly, a few recent studies looking specifically at BMI vis-à-vis life expectancy, show a statistical advantage to being slightly overweight!

"Overweight was not associated with excess mortality (-86,094 deaths; 95% CI, -161,223 to -10,966).
Underweight and obesity, particularly higher levels of obesity, were associated with increased mortality relative to the normal weight category."
---JAMA. 2005 Apr 20;293(15):1861-7.
THE BMI is totally ****. It is no representation that someone might hold muscle weight. When I was in the Marines I usually weighed around 217lbs and 8% body fat. According to BMI I was overweight. Even though I finished in the top 10 in PFT scores at my unit every time. 20 Dead Hang Pull Ups, 100 situps in 2 mins, and a 19-20 min 3 mile run.

BMI means nothing!
Old 09-12-05, 09:03 PM
lungdoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evolution-06
THE BMI is totally ****. It is no representation that someone might hold muscle weight. When I was in the Marines I usually weighed around 217lbs and 8% body fat. According to BMI I was overweight. Even though I finished in the top 10 in PFT scores at my unit every time. 20 Dead Hang Pull Ups, 100 situps in 2 mins, and a 19-20 min 3 mile run.

BMI means nothing!
Well, no. BMI means simply the weight relative to height (weight in kg/[height in metres]squared to be precise). It doesn't mean nothing, it gives some useful information however as you correctly point out it has significant limits, as would any number you could derive from those two facts alone. Still more useful than just stating a weight, what is incorrect is to make too many conclusions from this one simple number.
Old 09-12-05, 09:45 PM
Bobmo

Bikes: Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I admire everyone in this thread who rides for the passion, not just the glory... you guys rule
Old 09-12-05, 09:53 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't tell you all how gratifying it is to see my humble post receive so many replies, and have the vast majority of them be positive. We come in different sizes and shapes, and that's the point I was trying to get across. I'm well on my way to becoming more fit, and the love of the bike gets all of the credit. Of course there are a lot of folks on this forum that discovered the bike before they became large, so they have an advantage on us bigger guys, but it's heart warming to see so many of them understand and appreciate the hard work of us bigger folks.

For those that are much bigger than I have ever been and stick it out, you really are my inspiration. I read your stories and I have no choice but to lose the excuses and go put in some miles so I can lose some pounds. You true clydes rock!

"It hurts so good..."
Old 09-13-05, 06:59 AM
snooker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed it for ya.

(I played both ways in high school, but I saw the light in college and learned the thinking man's game. Smartest thing I did, though, was realize that everyone on a college field was faster than I was and my grades were dropping. I went from a 2.7 to a 4.0 GPA when I quit football.)
That is true about the GPA, but when they're paying $30k a year for me to go to school it's hard to quit. Also, with playing football it's very, very easy to sell yourself to companies because of the sport and not only your GPA.

But I want to hear about some big boy bikes. I'll definitely remember what was said about the 32 spokes. I had even heard that a Carbon fiber frame is not good in our situation. I'm just trying to spend up to about $1300. Thanks
Old 09-13-05, 07:16 AM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldbam
No offense on anyone who fits this category, but my friend and I always notice how the heavier people normally have the nicer bikes.

For instance, I was stopping at one of the restrooms alongside a local bike trail once, and I saw a b-e-a-uttiful Trek Madone 5.9 glimmering in the sun. I always drool at the over-rated Trek bikes but thats another story. So I was catching my breath and out comes this 250 lb (or so) man with a scruffy beard and fully dressed in spandex. Now I didn't want to be to quick to rate him, so I followed him a little. He was goin like 13-14mph for like 5 miles?!?!?!?! I'm no idiot, I do racing, so I know that a trek madone was meant solely for the purpose of racing. This sort of thing happens alot, I almost get accustomed to seeing overweight people with nice rides...

I would imagine him to have been much happier on a touring bike with lots of accessories to occupy his slow pace. Perhaps these type of people have bigger wallets that bike shop employees target. I have no idea, all I know is that I've seen people that have alot more potential than that, but don't even have the money to get something better than an allez.

Alot of heaveyier people will ride nice bikes because it hypes them up for riding. Its a well i got a ncie bike and i cant let it just sit there and do nothing. If he was realy 250 doing 14 or 15 for 5 miles then id say thats not to shabby for some one of his weight in fact its prety good. I avarage acording to calculations 21 to 25 depending on route i ride. A couple places i can do 28 like on my ride to the local park and back wich is 7 miles all grade 1 to 2 avarage there and being a there and back corse with a loop in the park all down coming back other than one hill thats a grade 3 avarage with a grade 6-7 30 foot bit.

For some one 250 pounds riding on flat paths/roads doing 14 to 15 isnt something to mock. Just better hope you never face him in a race in a year or 2 when hes down to 160 170 cause hes gona stomp you lol. I mean seriously think about it for a secound the guys doing 15 now at 250 whats he gona be doing at 160 170? 25 30 35% faster easly. so 18.75 to 20.25 mph possibly and probably faster for longer distances. If he is some one with the guts to stick with it hell easly be doing 20+ for 2x 3x as long with out truble at even a heavy 190. Heres a scary thought you race him on a hilly course with one large down hill and one large up hill. 190 pounds pedaling down a hill on his highest gear hes gona leave you miles behind. Probably so far behind that he could walk his bike up the huge up hill and still not have you catch him.
Old 09-13-05, 07:57 AM
On Rails
Breaking Wind

Bikes: 2005 Jamis Quest, 2003 Giant Iguana Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J Rad
WOW Great Thread!
I too am a Clydesdale! 6'2" 250. I just started riding in July. I have actually gained 5 lbs since I started. Decided the best thing to do was to throw out my scale! That felt better then my first 30 mile ride!!!

Genius, I'm throwing my scale out as soon as I get home from work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.