Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Will Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires drive me nuts?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Will Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires drive me nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 07:04 AM
thesongs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride about 22 miles each way 2x a week. Mad props to you for doing 25 miles x4.
I didn't like getting flats, so I tried going with Tannus airless tires. I actually rode them for about 8 months. They weren't the worst, though they rattled terribly on uneven roads. I was willing to put up with it, as a trade off for no flats. However, the drawback was that the spokes would snap because the back wheels couldn't take the shocks. So, unless you are riding on completely smooth road, I wouldn't actually recommend the Tannus airless tire. All of this to say that I then wanted to use Tannus's armour (which is basically a bunch of foam around the tub to prevent pinch flats and punctures). However, they only fit on 28 tires, and my bike can only clear 25.
All that to say, have you considered maybe using this Tannus armor. I don't know how they feel, but since there's still a bit of air in the middle, I imagine they are not the worst, though I'd imagine they ride harsher than normal.
Old 10-25-20, 06:06 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by thesongs
I ride about 22 miles each way 2x a week. Mad props to you for doing 25 miles x4.
I didn't like getting flats, so I tried going with Tannus airless tires. I actually rode them for about 8 months. They weren't the worst, though they rattled terribly on uneven roads. I was willing to put up with it, as a trade off for no flats. However, the drawback was that the spokes would snap because the back wheels couldn't take the shocks. So, unless you are riding on completely smooth road, I wouldn't actually recommend the Tannus airless tire. All of this to say that I then wanted to use Tannus's armour (which is basically a bunch of foam around the tub to prevent pinch flats and punctures). However, they only fit on 28 tires, and my bike can only clear 25.
All that to say, have you considered maybe using this Tannus armor. I don't know how they feel, but since there's still a bit of air in the middle, I imagine they are not the worst, though I'd imagine they ride harsher than normal.
Thanks. It has been great for my fitness and the free time on 2 wheels is a gift.
I don't think I'd ever try airless tires, as I think the Richmond roads would destroy them (or my spokes) in short order. I just finished up doing a new commuter build on my Cross Check with the Marathons. I'll post pics in a new reply.
Old 10-25-20, 06:11 PM
bargo68 

So here's the Marathons on and ready for tomorrow's commute. We're actually having our power shut off by PG&E tonight due to a high fire hazard posed by high winds. Looks like tomorrow will not be the ideal day to compare the ride of the Marathons vs. my Conti 4 seasons, as I will most likely be riding in a 20 mph wind all morning and maybe on the ride home too.
Oy vey!

Likes For bargo68:
Old 10-26-20, 12:23 PM
bargo68 

So, no real wind to speak of. It felt like a pretty average morning's commute. While overall I am pleasantly surprised how smooth the Marathons roll, they do take a bit more effort to spin up and they make climbing more of a chore. That said, they're actually a quite comfortable ride and for commuting, very appropriate. Later this week I am going to switch the wheelset with the Marathons to my Black Mountain Cycles road for an apples/apples comparison. The Cross Check was not my regular ride and is a few pounds heavier.
At this point, I have concluded that Schwalbe Marathons will not drive me nuts!
Thanks for all the comments!
Old 10-26-20, 12:26 PM
cloud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
So, no real wind to speak of. It felt like a pretty average morning's commute. While overall I am pleasantly surprised how smooth the Marathons roll, they do take a bit more effort to spin up and they make climbing more of a chore. That said, they're actually a quite comfortable ride and for commuting, very appropriate. Later this week I am going to switch the wheelset with the Marathons to my Black Mountain Cycles road for an apples/apples comparison. The Cross Check was not my regular ride and is a few pounds heavier.
At this point, I have concluded that Schwalbe Marathons will not drive me nuts!
Thanks for all the comments!
How were they to mount for you?
Old 10-26-20, 12:54 PM
bargo68 

Originally Posted by cloud
How were they to mount for you?
Took some hand strength (I try to never use levers to mount tires), but no worse than Continentals. I was mounting them on H Plus Sons TB14 rims. Nowhere near as bad as some Panaracer Pasela Tour Guards.
Likes For bargo68: