Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First Bike Advice New Member?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-20, 06:57 PM
LSUFANDAN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

How do I start lol? This is my first post. I guess I'll start by saying that Im 43 years old and really into fitness. Im 6'1" and weigh about 170lbs. I go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week and do cardio on the other days. I am a runner but as I get older I am noticing issues. I have some siatic nerve pain in my right leg. I also started developing some IT Band issues in the same leg. I do a manual labor outside job that doesn't help the situation either. I was a sub 8min/mile guy that would typically run about 3 or 4 miles on a run. Now im slowly creeping up to 9.5min/mile guy. Thought about maybe trying cycling for cardio. I guess I should probably try a stationary bike at the gym and see if this is something I can do that puts less stress on my body. Running is something that I can just put my shoes on and go. Cycling where I live will probably require me to drive to a location. Definitely weighing the pros and cons.

The used bike seen in my area doesn't seem very hot. I see some used bikes listed on Craigslist from time to time. Finding something nice in my size will probably be tough. I have a few bike shops in my area. They don't have good websites with listed inventory. I'll be honest and say I haven't been to one yet. Probably should go to a few and see what I like. They could be nice. Everything is shut down right now. Im not opposed to buying something new. Looks like the front end investment is going to be a little pricey. I think I would rather buy something a little nicer up front for motivation than to go really cheap. I have a good job but don't want to go crazy. Im thinking something under $2000 wouldn't be nuts. If I don't use it and decide to sell it later it would be no big deal really. From reading on the forums I see a lot of people saying good things about Cannondale. I can probably get a nice aluminum bike like a Caad13. Noticed some people compare that bike to the Specialized Allez. I know everyone has different tastes when it comes to bikes. I also know buying one without sitting on it is probably a bad idea. Just not sure if i'll be lucky enough to try different brands out without driving to a larger city. Dallas is about 3 hours away from where I live. What do you guys that live in smaller towns typically do? Any advice?
Old 04-21-20, 08:22 PM
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
How about the Allez Sport?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/al...ext=90020-6161
Old 04-21-20, 08:32 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Being a big guy myself (6'1'' 190lbs), I understand that it's difficult to find a good used bike that fits your body. It's ideal to buy used when on the market for a first bike because you pay less and you will certainly lose less if you end up not liking it & want to resell it.

A 2000$ budget for a first road bike is more than enough! For that price, you can get a new Carbon Fibre bike with Tiagra or 105 components if you are at the right place at the right moment. For instance, the Giant Defy Advanced 2 (endurance road bike with 105 components) retails for 2450$ and you can get them on sale at 20% off from time to time which would fall under the 2k mark. At this time of year, there might be 2019 left on sale in local bicycle shops around.

Are you able to try a few different brands and see which one you like? It would be ideal and would give you a good idea on which one you like most, but I understand it might be difficult to do that, especially right now.

Last edited by eduskator; 04-21-20 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-21-20, 10:13 PM
LSUFANDAN

Thanks for the advice. That Giant and Allez both look nice. Never really looked at the Giant bikes. Maybe I should be looking at endurance bikes more?
Old 04-22-20, 09:26 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Whatever you choose, look for leftover 2019 or 2018 models, too. If you need a sightly unusual size,maybe some shops had some that didn't sell. You can often save a bundle on a bike that is identical to this year's model other than paint scheme.

Best thing to do is visit an many shops as you can (if they are open) and try a bunch of bikes. Likely you need a 58 or so ... maybe a 56 or a 60 depending on proportion, preference and flexibility .... but try a few sizes and get a feel for your natural riding position (which will change as you ride more ....) but until you see what is out there .... I can offer a lot of names, and all of them will be the perfect bike for Someone.
Old 04-22-20, 09:30 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by LSUFANDAN
Thanks for the advice. That Giant and Allez both look nice. Never really looked at the Giant bikes. Maybe I should be looking at endurance bikes more?
It depends on what you want/need & what level of stress your body can withstand. Endurance bikes have less aggressive geometries than race bikes (the Giant TCR, for instance). Both are performant road bikes, but one will put less stress on your body than the other.

Last edited by eduskator; 04-22-20 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-22-20, 10:07 AM
LSUFANDAN

Originally Posted by eduskator
In depends on what you want/need & what level of stress your body can withstand. Endurance bikes have less aggressive geometries than race bikes (the Giant TCR, for instance). Both are performant road bikes, but one will put less stress on your body than the other.
Now I seem to be leaning towards that 2020 Giant Defy Advanced 2 for $2450. 2019 will only work if I can find one used. Probably wait around for that 20% discount you say they offer from time to time.

Being that you are about my same size did you go with the Large frame or ML frame? Im 6'1" and have 33 to 34 inseam.

Last edited by LSUFANDAN; 04-22-20 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-22-20, 10:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Trek's Giant's website shows 2019 defy 2's available. Though not directly through online. Depending on where exactly you are located, they show what dealers have them in stock. Perhaps you might enjoy getting out for a 300 mile or so drive to visit one of those dealers if they are open for in store business. Or maybe call them and see if they'll ship to you or local store.

In my area, too many of the craigslist bikes are asking more than NOS prices are at the mfr and dealers.

don't nix the defy 3 either. Nothing wrong with Tiagra 10 speeds.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-22-20 at 10:51 AM. Reason: wrong mfr.... oops.
Old 04-22-20, 10:44 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Trek's website shows 2019 defy 2's available. .
I guess that tells us a lot about what Trek thinks of Giants versus their own bikes.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-22-20, 10:56 AM
eduskator

Now I seem to be leaning towards that 2020 Giant Defy Advanced 2 for $2450. 2019 will only work if I can find one used. Probably wait around for that 20% discount you say they offer from time to time.

Being that you are about my same size did you go with the Large frame or ML frame? Im 6'1" and have 33 to 34 inseam.
I went with the ML because I had a hell of a deal on a used Advanced Pro (my current bike) and I always liked them a little smaller, but I would recommend to buy a Large. I was right in the middle between ML and L last time I checked Giant's sizing chart. You might be lucky finding 2019 in this size. Give a call to a few LBS around. Even if some are far from your place, the drive might be worth it.

As Iride01 said above, the Defy 3 is also a very good bike. Nothing wrong with Tiagra.

Last edited by eduskator; 04-22-20 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-23-20, 08:57 PM
LSUFANDAN

What do you guys think about the Trek Domane SL 5? Seems a little more expensive than Giant Defy Advanced 2. Both endurance with comfort in mind. Different technology(IsoSpeed). Seems like Trek is pretty popular also. Is this a apples to apples comparison?

Still looking for used bikes also. Just getting more options.

Last edited by LSUFANDAN; 04-23-20 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-24-20, 09:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Specialized and a whole bunch of other names are good bikes. If the bike fits you well, then it'll be a great bike for you.

The bikes are similar enough in geometry that between the two it's a toss up. Giant doesn't give weights, but bike shops will have a scale handy. If one is more than a pound or so lighter, I'd get that one unless I liked the color of the other better.

And if you can ride them, then do so. I took two bikes on a ten mile test ride before making my last purchase.
Old 04-24-20, 09:59 AM
eduskator

What do you guys think about the Trek Domane SL 5? Seems a little more expensive than Giant Defy Advanced 2. Both endurance with comfort in mind. Different technology(IsoSpeed). Seems like Trek is pretty popular also. Is this a apples to apples comparison?

They both compare, but Giant has always offered better bang for the buck mainly because its production costs are lower. In other word, you either get equivalent bike for less or a better bike for the price of its competitors. More expensive does not always mean better quality.

That's why I will always stay with Giant. I am cheap. The only bike that could make me change my mind is a Scott Foil Premium because you know, it's a Scott Foil Premium...
Old 04-24-20, 10:02 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts

I own a 2019 Domane SL5 and I love it. The 105 is a great group set. I like the the SL5 comes with 32mm tires. The isospeed is no joke. A very comfortable bike.
Old 04-24-20, 11:24 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts

Love my 2020 Defy Advanced 1, fantastic bike. Don't let the "endurance" label fool you, it's just as fast as my previous "race" bikes. But it has clearance for bigger tires, and you can still get low in the front if you want to. I'm 6', but with a shorter inseam (32-33) and ride a ML, You'd prob do well on a L. If you have a Giant dealer near you, you should be able to try both sizes out and see how they feel.

There were some changes for 2020 on the Defy, larger front brake rotor, and more tire clearance. Officially the 2020 can handle 35mm, but some people have fit 38's. I'm currently running 32's that measure at 33mm and have plenty of room left.
Old 04-24-20, 12:04 PM
LSUFANDAN

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Love my 2020 Defy Advanced 1, fantastic bike. Don't let the "endurance" label fool you, it's just as fast as my previous "race" bikes. But it has clearance for bigger tires, and you can still get low in the front if you want to. I'm 6', but with a shorter inseam (32-33) and ride a ML, You'd prob do well on a L. If you have a Giant dealer near you, you should be able to try both sizes out and see how they feel.

There were some changes for 2020 on the Defy, larger front brake rotor, and more tire clearance. Officially the 2020 can handle 35mm, but some people have fit 38's. I'm currently running 32's that measure at 33mm and have plenty of room left.
Ive seen your bike on the forums. I love that beautiful Wine Purple color. Might be my favorite color so far. I still like the Giant Defy look a little more than any other style so far.

I called both my local shops and they have no road bikes in my size to even try out. This virus deal has hit them hard. They did say they order from the same website as me and would put the bike together for free. Also help me set it up. One said they could order me a Giant Defy. I live in Louisiana. I don't even think they want people from Louisiana to cross into Texas right now lol. Ive seen some used bikes in Texas. I'll have to wait and travel to test drive or by one direct from the website. Only thing im concerned about is size really. Would I feel more comfortable on a ML or a L? Driving 3 hours just to find out what size I need sounds nuts. Its a lot of money to spend on the wrong size though. Im pretty sure the ML or L would probably work either way.

Last edited by LSUFANDAN; 04-24-20 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-24-20, 12:19 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Ive seen your bike on the forums. I love that beautiful Wine Purple color. Might be my favorite color so far. I still like the Giant Defy look a little more than any other style so far.
I'm betting you could get one under MSRP from most shops. Giant has fantastic warranty support as well, two year full crash replacement on their carbon frames. That being said, they're also pretty tough, I crashed my Revolt at 30mph and it was completely fine, scuffed up the shifter (and tore up my leg lol).
Old 04-26-20, 01:34 PM
eduskator

I called both my local shops and they have no road bikes in my size to even try out. This virus deal has hit them hard. They did say they order from the same website as me and would put the bike together for free. Also help me set it up. One said they could order me a Giant Defy. I live in Louisiana. I don't even think they want people from Louisiana to cross into Texas right now lol. Ive seen some used bikes in Texas. I'll have to wait and travel to test drive or by one direct from the website. Only thing im concerned about is size really. Would I feel more comfortable on a ML or a L? Driving 3 hours just to find out what size I need sounds nuts. Its a lot of money to spend on the wrong size though. Im pretty sure the ML or L would probably work either way.
ML will be a little small for you. If you have the choice between the two and considering your height & inseam, get the Large. You'll thank me later
Old 05-30-20, 04:06 PM
LSUFANDAN

I went in a different direction and spent a little more money than I wanted to spend but oh well. I got a 2021 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon. Friend I will be riding with said a gravel bike would probably be a better option. I will probably still do mostly paved roads/trails but a gravel bike will give me more options. I can always get a second set of wheels and tires for it if I find myself not going off-road. I got sucked in with all the cool features on the Diverge. Just got the bike today. Can’t post pics until I have 10 posts per forum rules
Old 05-30-20, 04:32 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
My recommendation:

Cannondale Synapse with Shimano 105 components. Have a professional sizing and fitting done, because at your fitness level, you're going to level up and start doing longer rides pretty quickly.

Why a Synapse? It's a good all-around road bike; great for endurance rides, and still quite good for performance rides. It's slightly more relaxed in its geometry compared to a Super Six or CAAD12, and as someone getting into the sport in your middle-age you might appreciate that geometry. I've had my Synapse since 2008, and it's been just an excellent bike. Some years it goes over 3000 miles with me, other years a lot less, like 1000 or 1200. This year it'll probably get 1500 added to it because I'm using my hybrid for neighborhood, utility, and commuting type rides.

Shimano 105 is that level where the components are durable, great performance, but not as expensive as Ultegra or Dura Ace. Below 105 you start giving up features and quality (though Tiagra is still decent). Above 105, you pay a lot more for small gains.

Why a road bike? Again, because you seem like someone who is going to ride a fair amount -- more than "hybrid" type riding. Also, you mentioned driving to your rides. Don't bother. I mean sure, if you want to explore some place that you wouldn't otherwise get to, go for it. But when it's time to ride, put on your shoes, fill your bottle, and go. Since 2000, I've lived in Portland (3y), Los Angeles (10y), and Salt Lake City/Sandy (7 years). It hasn't mattered which city I live in, the best rides are the ones from my own driveway to wherever I want to go. You can always find a good route, or many.

For example, in Los Angeles I would ride from my place in the Valley out over the Sepulveda Pass to the west side, and would follow the shoreline south to Orange County and back. Sometimes instead I would head over Topanga Canyon and then ride the PCH. Or other times, out the "Busway" bike easement to Calabasas, and from there to Agoura Hills, and Kanan Dune canyon, or over toward Moorpark. They were all great rides. Other times I would just go as far as Sunset, and then turn around for a 22 mile ride.

In Sandy/SaltLake I can take Wasatch north toward the zoo, or south out to Draper, and eventually make my way to Bluffdale. If I want to add in more miles, I can drop down to the MUP from Bluffdale and eventually find myself at Utah Lake. Or for strenuous hill climbs, I might go up Little Cottonwood or Big Cottonwood canyons. But for all of these I just leave from my front door and go. If I had to drive somewhere to ride, I would be pretty lazy about it, and wouldn't ride much.
Old 06-04-20, 08:19 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I like Giant bikes and Specialized. However my advice to you would be to go to your local bike stores
and look for a bike that you like. Their ongoing support could be important in case you have problems
or need accessories or upgrades. The conversation from sales or other customers could be quite
helpful in helping you to make a decision regarding a bike and accessories.
Old 06-04-20, 08:47 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I was in a situation similar to yours a few years ago. I'd been a runner for more than 50 years (I'm 70 now) and my knees couldn't take it anymore, so I bought a bike from a bike shop: a Giant, for $450. I didn't really know what I wanted or how much I'd use the bike, but after riding it for almost two years, I had a better idea and bought a Specialized Diverge, which I've now had for 10 months. Unless you really know what you want, it's not a bad idea to get an inexpensive first bike and then move up when you have a better idea. I don't regret getting the Giant, and I never would have bought the Diverge I have now when I started riding. If you know what you want, go for it. If you're not sure, start with something inexpensive. I don't regret getting into cycling that way myself. Relevant to your leg issues, I had almost constant knee pain when I was trying to maintain my running, and that has gone away now that I'm cycling.
Old 06-05-20, 10:09 PM
LSUFANDAN

I went a little crazy and got a 2021 Spealized Diverge Comp Carbon. I know its probably not as good of a road bike as the Giant Defy and for the $3800 price I could have got the 2020 Defy Advanced Pro. I just like the Gravel Bike idea because it seems like the jack of all trades style bike. The Diverge Comp Carbon is still pretty light. I can set it up for gravel rides or for road rides. I like the setup it has right now actually. I can cruise through my neighborhood. Hop curbs. Go offroad a bit to pass walkers/joggers. I know its gimmicky but so far I like the Future Shock 2.0. I like the the SWAT door deal in the frame for storage. I didn't get a good deal and for the price I could have probably got something special used. Im happy with it so far. Its new and im the only rider. I did a few rides under 10 miles so far. One ride this week of around 14 miles. I just used my apple watch to log my progress. Just got tired of looking and wanted to start riding.
Old 06-05-20, 10:37 PM
LSUFANDAN

Both of my favorite new toys
Likes For LSUFANDAN:
Old 06-06-20, 10:04 AM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I went a little crazy and got a 2021 Spealized Diverge Comp Carbon...
Congratulations on the new bike. I bought a 2019 Diverge Comp ten months ago, and my thinking was much like yours. I do almost all my riding on pavement, but I'm riding by myself most of the time and don't need the fastest bike; I want a comfortable bike and the Diverge fits the bill. I have taken it on some trails and it handles dirt with no problems. I'm thinking of it as more of a fitness bike rather than a gravel bike. (But "fitness" bikes all have straight bars and I wanted drop bars.) I did get mine on sale. Had my eye on it at a LBS for months, and when they marked down the price, I couldn't resist. I'm confident you'll love the bike. Very versatile, and feels fast and comfortable even if it's not as fast as road bikes that are designed for maximum speed.
Likes For Random11:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.