Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Anyone Tested Positive for COVID19?

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 10-15-20, 01:50 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

My son and one of my daughters just came back with positive results. My son is single and will be out of work for 2 weeks. My daughter has 3 kids....ages 4,2 and 3 months. Ugh. She is quarantining in their house and still trying to nurse the 3 month old. Her husband has been working from home but will now really have his hands full. A couple days ago we kept the 2 older kids overnight and had interaction with both my son and daughter this week. My wife and I are going to get tested tomorrow......no symptoms for my wife and I but need to know. My son is feeling pretty yucky right now.
Old 10-15-20, 02:01 PM
dicktill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Best of luck to you JPPE and your whole family. Speedy recoveries to those infected.
Likes For dicktill:
Old 10-15-20, 02:04 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9531 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
We know a number who have.

A good friend of mine was hospitalized for about 11 days in ICU with Covid. He's in his late 60s, but has a history of bypass surgery and a stroke several years ago. He had several weeks of difficulty after release from the hospital and is still having some issues two months later. His wife did not contract it.

My daughter's roommate contracted it along with most of her family. They had mild symptoms and recovered within a couple of weeks. My daughter and her other roommate did not contract it.

A lady that works in the office next door to mine told me that her husband and several family members contracted it, but she did not. The cases were not severe.

Another friend of ours is part of a vaccine clinical trial. She actually received the actual vaccine and not a placebo. No issues from the vaccine except for a day of local tenderness, and later tests showed antibodies in her system. Based on her experience, I'd get the shot since there does not appear to be much to lose.

Keep your fingers crossed! I hope you don't have it.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-16-20, 06:43 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
I don’t know anyone who has it and we are OK. I hope you don’t get it, jppe. Best regards.
Likes For Artmo:
Old 10-16-20, 07:06 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
A cycling friend just told me over the weekend that his 64 year old brother died from CV-19.

Besides that, my wife's hairdresser was positive, another friend's son and family are positive, and know a few others, too.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 10-16-20, 08:22 AM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I lost a very close friend since seven years young, he went into the hospital for a procedure, transferred to rehab facility, Cuomo of NY moved him to a nursing home. Four weeks later in April, he died of CV. My sister and bro in law both got CV, too many visits to restaurants. I'm doing fine, lots of self quarantining, no restaurants, exercise, fresh air... and staying far away from crowds.

Last edited by Climb14er; 10-17-20 at 12:01 AM.
Likes For Climb14er:
Old 10-16-20, 08:30 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
A nephew (in MD) had it. Said he felt bad for a couple of weeks, but recuperated, no hospital visit. Wife and I are seniors and being real careful. Very discouraging when I see large crowds with no social distancing and few, if any, masks. Just don't understand why/how people aren't taking Covid seriously.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 10-16-20, 11:14 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
My 31 year old son got it way back in April. I did not even know till he was over it. He said he ran a fever first time in 15 years for maybe two days. Could not smell a thing or taste. He pretty much then got better and said he woke up one morning about a week later and his sense of smell return all at once. Otherwise he is fine now.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 10-18-20, 06:37 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Got my test results back pretty quickly and they are NEGATIVE! Just waiting on the wife’s results. Mine resumed back before 48 hours.
Old 10-18-20, 07:31 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Glad yours was negative. Hope your wife's is too.

I've been tested 4 or 5 times in last 3 months for work. All negative.

If I didn't have to get checked, and was asymptomatic, I wouldn't get tested.
Old 10-18-20, 04:43 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

My wife’s test results were negative as well! Whew!
Old 10-18-20, 06:45 PM
dicktill

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Got my test results back pretty quickly and they are NEGATIVE! Just waiting on the wife’s results. Mine resumed back before 48 hours.

That is very good news. Hope the rest of your family and friends do well also.
Old 10-20-20, 01:31 PM
2ering

Bikes: 1974 Gitane Tour de France, 2003 Trek Madone 5.9, 2007 Co-Motion Americano, 2017 Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
Glad yours was negative. Hope your wife's is too.

I've been tested 4 or 5 times in last 3 months for work. All negative.

If I didn't have to get checked, and was asymptomatic, I wouldn't get tested.
Curious as to why you say this knowing that it can be spread to others even while being asymptomatic. Is the test painful or high cost or is it because you always wear a mask and stay distanced when around others? The last is why we haven't been tested-we use contactless grocery delivery and otherwise limit our time in enclosed spaces to 10 minutes. We rarely see friends/family and on the couple of occasions it is always outside and well distanced. Yeah, it sucks but we are retired so it is easier for us than working families. But still curious as to why you made your blanket statement of never being tested.
Old 10-23-20, 06:05 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ering
Curious as to why you say this knowing that it can be spread to others even while being asymptomatic. Is the test painful or high cost or is it because you always wear a mask and stay distanced when around others? The last is why we haven't been tested-we use contactless grocery delivery and otherwise limit our time in enclosed spaces to 10 minutes. We rarely see friends/family and on the couple of occasions it is always outside and well distanced. Yeah, it sucks but we are retired so it is easier for us than working families. But still curious as to why you made your blanket statement of never being tested.
I don't have anything against people getting tested. If I had symptoms I would get it checked out.

Like everything in our society these days, forces other than the patients health is driving our public policy. I just choose not to join in where possible.

As you are retired, I'll give you the priority of those making your healthcare decisions based on 14 years in geriatric healthcare:
1. Medicare/Medicaid and the medical practices attorney's.
2. The business manager of the medical practice.
3. The practitioner's student loan company or spouses shopping habits.
4. What you need.

Unfortunate, but the world in which we live.

Thanks for the interaction.

Last edited by stevel610; 10-23-20 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-28-20, 05:07 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
Whew is right!

I know a few:

1. Best friend (60s) got it in January. He felt like he got a flu that knocked him on his arse for about a week. No chest congestion, and no fever ... he was just tired. Tested positive for antibodies a few months later. NO idea where or how he got it.

2. SO's friend ... her son (27) got it bad. He was on a ventilator in an ICU for over 2 weeks but survived. Probably got it on public transportation.

3. Cycling friend and his wife both got it. He was really sick, and she less so. Both health care workers and both recovered.

I've been working from home pretty much all the time since my crash. Not much exposure there. I'm willing to eat at a restaurant, but only if outside and with reasonable separation (6 feet or more). Riding and walking regularly sans mask, but only with intimates. Everyone else gets a wide berth. No qualms about shopping, but wear a KN95 whenever I do and avoid people.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 10-29-20, 05:20 AM
cloud

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
I tested positive.I guess I was lucky and had a pretty mild case. I travel for a living so I spent time in restaurants , bars ,hotel gym's. At 60 years old recovered now I guess I will wait and fight the next thing that is going to try and kill me.
Likes For cloud:
Old 10-29-20, 05:39 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud
I tested positive.I guess I was lucky and had a pretty mild case. I travel for a living so I spent time in restaurants , bars ,hotel gym's. At 60 years old recovered now I guess I will wait and fight the next thing that is going to try and kill me.
One good thing about being this age is that the body is much less forgiving.

Eating bad, staying up all night, working too hard, not exercising, alcohol and tobacco, getting eaten alive with unrelieved stress over personal issues or situations for weeks or months at a time, are all bad for a person's health, but I have found their bad effects on my health to be much more noticeable as I've gotten older.

I realize that any one of those things could fairly easily kill me at this age, if it gets too out of hand. So I'm forced to avoid them. Which is something I probably should have been doing all along.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-29-20, 08:28 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by Biker395
Whew is right!

I know a few:

1. Best friend (60s) got it in January. He felt like he got a flu that knocked him on his arse for about a week. No chest congestion, and no fever ... he was just tired. Tested positive for antibodies a few months later. NO idea where or how he got it.

2. SO's friend ... her son (27) got it bad. He was on a ventilator in an ICU for over 2 weeks but survived. Probably got it on public transportation.

3. Cycling friend and his wife both got it. He was really sick, and she less so. Both health care workers and both recovered.
As of today: My kids’ godmother. She’s on her 70s, and her husband (passed away last year from a heart attack while riding his bike) was a dear friend. 🙁

Old 10-29-20, 08:41 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
1. Best friend (60s) got it in January. He felt like he got a flu that knocked him on his arse for about a week. No chest congestion, and no fever ... he was just tired. Tested positive for antibodies a few months later. NO idea where or how he got it..
or when. Unless he was the first case in the US, and his antibody response lasted longer than what we now know is normal.
Old 10-29-20, 09:59 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by wgscott
or when. Unless he was the first case in the US, and his antibody response lasted longer than what we now know is normal.
Yea, that is rather early. Maybe I have the date wrong and it was in February? It was way early in the infection cycle in the US.

Old 10-29-20, 10:42 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Yea, that is rather early. Maybe I have the date wrong and it was in February? It was way early in the infection cycle in the US.
I was waaaay off. It was mid March.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 10-29-20, 10:58 AM
JGaerlan

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Got covid like symptoms end of January. Dry cough, erratic fever and tiredness. Not sure where the source was. Attended a few banquets in Chinatown SF. Wife also was on the crew ship Princess about 2 trips before it got docked. Wide developed an ear infection so bad pus was flowing out. Went to ER, but no tests were being given even with the symptoms and travel history. My cough and tiredness lasted over 3 months. My saving grace was forcing myself to ride very slowly to improve stamina. My body reacts well to vitamin C so loaded up on it.

Got a test in June when it was already available to SF residents and was negative. I just have to monitor my body really well esp since past 60. I force myself to cycle a few times a week. Also mask up and physical distance just to lower the odds of getting it again.

I have a friend who got intubated for a few days. His description was it was like being a living dead. You can sometimes hear people talking around you and you're not sure if you are dead or alive. He got thru it and nurses told him that he was the first patient to survive on the breathing machine they used on him

Stay safe and healthy !
Old 10-29-20, 11:15 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
have not had it, but both my wife and I had a COVID test within the past two weeks (negative results) as we had Colonoscopies at the hospital so it was a part of the pre appointment stuff, we know several people that have had it, almost all of our nurse friends have had it, some worse than others, I know several friends that have had their friends and family members die from it. Very good friends of mine in Ohio husband and wife both got it and both had two different versions of it, my friend got the GI symptoms and it was pretty horrible, she felt like her insides were on fire all day long, lots of going to the bathroom, not able to eat much of anything, fever, but no upper respiratory issues, her husband is overweight and has Asthma and he had it pretty bad but thankful he did not have to be on a vent or long term in the hospital but he was really bad for several weeks, thought he was going to die for sure.
Old 10-29-20, 02:18 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ering
Is the test painful
The way I’ve had to have it done twice now, yes.

It’s worth it to know that I, an essential worker, am not putting my elderly coworkers at risk...

but it still is up there with hitting your thumb with a hammer.
Old 10-29-20, 03:08 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Update---My daughter with the 3 young kids is now testing negative, thankfully. Took two weeks of isolation from the husband and 3 kids..........except for breastfeeding the 3 month old.

My son is feeling better but still testing positive, in his 3rd week out of work.......ugh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.