Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New model Ridley owners

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New model Ridley owners

Old 09-28-20, 07:25 PM
xrazer

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New model Ridley owners

One of my road biking neighbors got a brand new Ridley bike. It looks similar to the Ridley Noah but I am not sure yet which model for sure. It looks damn sleek. I have to corner him and ask one day. Ridley does not seem to have any US representation so I am wondering is there anyone else out there on these machines. Where did you buy from and why Ridley? You like?
Old 09-28-20, 07:51 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
I've been eyeing Ridley for a few years now. Im wondering the same as you. I've only heard that they are do not have good ride - take that to mean whatever you like. So if someone can help us understand that would be great.
Old 09-28-20, 07:57 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I have a 2017 Ridley Fenix AL. Officially, it is their endurance geometry in an aluminum model. I love it - I bought it over a Fuji Roubaix. Mine has a 105 mix, though I just upgraded to Ultegra brakes (the stock brakes were crap - not even 105) and bought new wheels. While I keep looking at new bikes, this one is both very comfortable and plenty fast. I've put a little over 3000 miles on it this year; it did not get that many miles in 2018 or 2019. It is definitely heavy - much heavier than my 2007 Orbea Onyx that I handed down to my son.

Finding it was random. For some reason it was on clearance at a Performance bike shop in my town that is now closed; I picked it up for under $800 with a discount I had. I have not seen another one like mine in my area, and there are a lot of cyclists here on a variety of unique equipment (I ended up in a group a few Sundays ago where mine was definitely the cheapest bike - all but one of the other 10 or so had Di2, though a few were at least Ultegra). I can't say that I've even seen another Ridley of late. I've enjoyed it so much that I have definitely looked at other Ridleys. Competitive Cyclist had several earlier this summer, but it appears the selection is waning. They still have this one.

So I can't really help you, I guess. But I do love mine.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 09-28-20, 07:59 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I was riding a Ridley Fenix AL for a while a few years ago. It was my first "real" road bike, and I liked it a lot.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 10-03-20, 04:59 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
Its tough to find riders of Ridley carbon bikes in US. This is the only thing that stops me from getting a frameset.
Old 10-03-20, 05:28 PM
sour

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have a 2015 helium SL which I purchased from Competitive as a complete ultegra build. It was 50% off. I took it apart and reassembled it with Red22 mechanical as soon as it was delivered and put the Ultegra on one of my wife's bikes. The helium was my primary bike until I picked up a Madone frameset in '19 and built that with Red22. I still ride the helium, but typically only on windy or rainy days.

I had looked at the Noah several times and came close to purchasing but knew that I would want a different bar/stem combo than what comes with the size I ride. I ended up with the Madone as I could purchase the frame with the bar/stem in the size I needed.

My wife has a Ridley cross bike which we purchased from a dealer in Cleveland in 2012, maybe.
Old 10-18-20, 09:02 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 133 Posts
I ride a 2015 cf Ridley Fenix with Force22 I bought from Competitive Cyclist, which happens to be an authorized dealer, and I like it a lot. At purchase I upgraded to Hed Ardennes wheels, and I've since upgraded to FSA carbon bars and seat post.

​​​​​​It's a better bike than I am a rider. When I'm out riding I get this comment from time to time " I used to have a a Ridley, they're really nice bikes".

Last edited by Wileyrat; 10-18-20 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-18-20, 11:56 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I've owned 3 Ridleys - but this was in the past, so none of the newer models. Really liked them, for what it is worth. My old carbon Ridley Damocles was one of the liveliest, quick-to-accelerate bikes I have ridden.
Old 10-19-20, 06:46 PM
KJK

Bikes: 2022 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2017 Ridley Fenix SL Disc, 1982 Bianchi Super Leggera

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I have a 2017 Ridley Fenix SL Disc. I bought it from Competitive Cyclist online. The first exposure to Ridley I had as a brand was watching the Tour. Lotto Soudal rides Ridleys. I did a little research and they seemed to be pretty well respected. Every review I read in any cycling mag (or online) gave the Fenix SL very high marks. The build from Competitive ticked all the right boxes for me. Carbon frame with an Ultegra build with hydraulic discs. I still love it and it's still more bike than I am rider.
Likes For KJK:
Old 10-20-20, 05:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a 2013 Excalibur. Great all-around race bike. Plus it had a BSA bottom bracket, external cabling, and a standard round seat post, so it was easy to build up and maintain. I bought the frameset online from R&A Cycles. It's now my son's road bike and it's doing trainer/Zwift duty this winter.
Old 10-21-20, 06:42 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
I had a Ridley Noah years ago (even had it custom painted) and to this day, I still feel it was the fastest bike I've ever owned. It was rigid but surprisingly a decent enough ride even when rolling on chip seal roads. Handling was on point too because I just felt faster and more confident taking corners and on descents. I can only imagine how much better the newer Ridleys are and if I were in the market for another carbon build, I wouldn't hesitate looking into another Noah.
Likes For primov8:
Old 10-21-20, 08:27 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I too had a Ridley Excalibur purchased from Competitive Cyclist Bought as a frame set. I loved the ride characteristics of the bike. Very agile. Sadly I bought the wrong size and could not get it to fit me properly so sold the frame after only a few months with it.

still, while I cannot speak to the longevity, I can say it was well priced, seemed well made, and rode beautifully (for someone else anyway). Build pic below!

Likes For robbyville:
Old 10-22-20, 10:13 AM
Bradleykd

Bikes: '12 Felt Z85, '22 Canyon Neuron, '23 Lynskey Pro 29

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
I've got a 2017 Ridley Noah. Carbon Bike. I got it as a frame set from Competitive Cyclist and put my own components and wheels on it.

I love it. Smooth on rougher roads, feels fast, handles tight. Best bike I have ever owned, but I have only owned classic and vintage race bikes and an aluminum endurance geometry Felt, so not a lot of reference material.

Likes For Bradleykd:
Old 12-04-20, 12:14 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
I lucked out with a Ridley Helium that I found on craigslist. The story of finding it and how it ended up with me is quite a story in itself.

Anyways I knew nothing about Ridley bikes when I bought it, didnt even realize that the company was named after Ridley Scott.

I'm usually on a 54cm frame and this Helium was a medium with no number to identify the frame size. I looked it up online and ithe geometry seemed a bit different then any of the other bikes I had looked at. Was maybe a throw back to more of a classic fit with a touch of 21st century worked into the numbers.

The top tube on paper showed 56 but it was closer to 55 when measured with a tape. The frame worked for me. At 6.9kg the bike was super light and had full Ultegra and a pair of Ardennes wheels. I struggle on climbs but this bike is just a joy to climb with.

I've been on it for just over 3 years now and liked it so much that I just bought a Noah SL Disc frame to build up. I'd love to get another newer helium but that will be a few years down the road after I wear in the Noah.

I will say that they are not for everyone, the frame geometries can be a bit off of the well defined path. Each model is different and well designed for its purpose. They are an interesting breed.

Likes For Wilmingtech:
Old 12-04-20, 12:24 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
^ Second picture is beautiful, whether or not with bike!
Likes For drewguy:
Old 12-04-20, 12:38 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
I've owned 3 Ridleys - but this was in the past, so none of the newer models. Really liked them, for what it is worth. My old carbon Ridley Damocles was one of the liveliest, quick-to-accelerate bikes I have ridden.
I used have a Damocles as my primary road bike. Loved it. Then I put together a Ritchey Road Logic 2.0 as around town, casual ride bike, but found I was using it more and more until the Damocles was staying home. I finally gave in to a riding buddy and sold him the Damocles. 1 of the few bikes I regret selling.
Old 12-04-20, 12:42 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
I too had a Ridley Excalibur purchased from Competitive Cyclist Bought as a frame set. I loved the ride characteristics of the bike. Very agile. Sadly I bought the wrong size and could not get it to fit me properly so sold the frame after only a few months with it.

still, while I cannot speak to the longevity, I can say it was well priced, seemed well made, and rode beautifully (for someone else anyway). Build pic below!

That looks just a touch big for you
Likes For RGMN:
Old 12-04-20, 12:53 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,491 Posts
helium 2008

found on facebook,full Campy chorus11.bought it for the beauty & workmanship from a xpro racer and Ridley's customer service.

Old 07-28-21, 09:42 PM
Feelgood1

Bikes: Ridley Noah SL

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have the same bike and building it up now with ultegra components. 2017 ridley noah sl. Did you use cable liner protectors when internally routing the shifter cables? I'm wondering that if i do not use them, if i'll have any cable/frame rub or slaps when it's built.
Old 07-29-21, 11:54 AM
Wilmingtech

Originally Posted by Feelgood1
i have the same bike and building it up now with ultegra components. 2017 ridley noah sl. Did you use cable liner protectors when internally routing the shifter cables? I'm wondering that if i do not use them, if i'll have any cable/frame rub or slaps when it's built.
Ive got the Ridley Noah SL Disc with Di2. So I do not have the shifter cables running through the frame but rather just the Di2 cables. I am pretty sure the frame is setup for all 4 wires though and that being said the bits and pieces that came with it allow you to run the internal cables through the frame with "catch" points on each end so you shouldn't need to use the outer cable housing. There is also a rubber grommit/plug for the bottom of the frame that should stop most water/debris from spraying up into your bottom bracket. Because of that I don't think you would get any benefit from using liners on the cable.

Just make sure you don't accidentally cross your cables over inside the downtube when you wire up the deraillers.

I am not sure about the rim brake version of this frame but my disc brake frame had a cable "trough" to run the brake line to the disc caliper in the back of the frame. I am certain you will have a built in cable path for the rear rim brake where you will need outer housing through the frame.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the bike!

-Sean
Likes For Wilmingtech:
Old 07-29-21, 01:27 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 4,819 Times in 2,978 Posts
Originally Posted by sshakari
I've been eyeing Ridley for a few years now. Im wondering the same as you. I've only heard that they are do not have good ride - take that to mean whatever you like. So if someone can help us understand that would be great.
Great quote from a recent magazine review of the Ridley Kanzo Fast (Gravel bike version on the Noah Fast):-

"It's not that it was a harsh ride, but the emphasis is on beating your rivals rather than having a pleasant day out".
Old 07-29-21, 01:41 PM
Wilmingtech

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Great quote from a recent magazine review of the Ridley Kanzo Fast (Gravel bike version on the Noah Fast):-

"It's not that it was a harsh ride, but the emphasis is on beating your rivals rather than having a pleasant day out".
You left out the other half of the quote...

"In fact, where other gravel bikes might encourage you to ride in a measured manner, the Kanzo Fast goaded me into pushing hard constantly, which quickly lead to me discovering the limits of my bike-handling abilities."

If you want a comfortable ride maybe you should be looking for a Trek Townie or some other Hybrid bike instead of a gravel bike.
Old 07-29-21, 05:41 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 4,819 Times in 2,978 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
You left out the other half of the quote...

"In fact, where other gravel bikes might encourage you to ride in a measured manner, the Kanzo Fast goaded me into pushing hard constantly, which quickly lead to me discovering the limits of my bike-handling abilities."

If you want a comfortable ride maybe you should be looking for a Trek Townie or some other Hybrid bike instead of a gravel bike.
Eh?