Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling Is A Poor Form of Exercise :-(

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling Is A Poor Form of Exercise :-(

Old 09-29-20, 06:55 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
Wout Van Aert does more than just cycling to prepare for cycling races.

Old 09-29-20, 07:00 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Back 43+ years ago when I was 18 and living in the college dorm, my rooomates and I would sometimes over-indulge (alcohol), but first light the next morning I'd pull my bike frame from under the bed, slap the wheels on and ride... I'd come back three hours /50-miles later as the roomies were finally getting vertical. I felt refreshed, whereas they OTOH, were blurry/fuzzy-headed until mid-afternoon... That may have been just me burning off the alcohol, but I'm not so sure....

Now not only do I ride for the exercise itself, but I feel that doing so at a moderately strenuous pace helps burn off the built-up toxins in the body. You've no-doubt heard of the endorphin-created 'runner's high', but my 'cycling high' seems to last for several days afterwards -- I don't think that is entirely from calorie-burning itself. Even at age 62+ I feel the benefits from a 25+ mile ride at 20-plus mph for days afterwards!

Sadly, around here in Northern Ohio it is getting to 'late 'riding' season' where I need to start thinking of pulling the old-school rollers out... Even an hour or two per week at a crank pace of 90-110 keeps me going through the Lake Dreary Gray Dismals...
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 10-01-20, 06:43 AM
rmanera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I don't see much mention of cardio benefit here but I consider it to be the primary "fitness" reason for cycling. Add the fact that cycling is low impact (assuming no unplanned contact with the environment) and the overall fitness benefit increases. Add in some regular weight training for the upper body and you have a decent fitness program.
Old 10-01-20, 07:02 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by sewupnut
. A lot of times, though, it's nice to put 'er in grannie and just enjoy the scenery.
Depends on what Grannie has to say about it.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-01-20, 01:19 PM
Eliduc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djcookie
I've gone to two local meetups with road cycling clubs. One was a social meet up, and the members seemed far more fit than the average person of their ages (most were older). At the second meet, everyone was ready for a ride in their gear. I was shocked by their appearance. In full lycra kit, they had comically oversized pot bellies, but with skinny noodly arms and legs.

Basically, cycling is just sitting. It is not weight bearing. Your bones become weaker as you sweat away minerals over long miles. Your muscles and bones don't become any stronger because they don't have to bear any weight. As a matter of fact, any additional weight is a liability, so additional muscle mass only penalizes you on climbs.

Even when I was riding many miles a week, I never lost any significant weight. In the past couple of weeks, I've been walking and hiking instead. I've lost more weight in these past couple of weeks than I did when I was riding upwards of 200 miles a week cycling!

Cycling for me is more about fun and recreation rather than "physical fitness." You become fit when you become stronger, and cycling may actually lead to the opposite.
I disagree. You are equating bike riding to muscular conditioning and body weight. Any activity that burns calories contributes weight maintenance, However the greater benefits your heart and lungs receive from bicycle riding .are probably more important. Also people who exercise there joints on a regular basis are not as prone to the effects of arthritis. People who ride bikes are not generally couch potatoes. I will be 80 years old in a few months and in addition to bike riding I swim, play pickleball, garden and engage in outdoor activities.
Likes For Eliduc:
Old 10-02-20, 08:39 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
No matter how you cut it, cycling just has to be better than setting on the couch eating potato chips.
Old 10-02-20, 09:44 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Is there a credible reference for these quantitative statistical factoids and analysis that explains the relationship between "regular cycling" and these alleged reductions?
BTW - reduction from what basis? How were these fantastic "reductions" measured?
BTW#2 - What is your definition of "premature death?"
Unless you have not been to the Netherlands I would think those claims would be self evident. But here is a documented study for you to pick apart. https://www.researchgate.net/publica...nomic_Benefits

There are additional studies available too if you are curious.

Old 10-02-20, 10:32 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Cycling is a Poor Form of Exercise
I'm usually in my best shape this time of year. And, after a great summer of riding, this year especially. This week, weighed myself for the first time in quite a while: 149 lbs. That's what I weighed in high school! ... though I'm sure I was a lot stronger in the upper body (and maybe a quarter inch taller). Well over thirty years later, I may be more aerobically fit. Cycling feels good, man!
Old 10-03-20, 03:43 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
No it doesn't....Sitting and balancing on a bike is too easy and doesn't provide enough stress and stimulus for the core to create adaptation and make it stronger.
Which confirms that, as many of us already knew, workouts that involve the "core" are unnecessary for cyclists.
Old 10-03-20, 07:45 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Unless you have not been to the Netherlands I would think those claims would be self evident. But here is a documented study for you to pick apart. https://www.researchgate.net/publica...nomic_Benefits

There are additional studies available too if you are curious.
Perhaps one of those other studies provides support for your claims of
40% reduction in cancer risk.
52% reduction in heart disease
40% reduction in premature death
The "study" you reference does not. Nor does it provide any evidence that the population of NL or anywhere else can expect a reduction in heart disease or cancer if they should take up bicycle riding.

I've been to NL numerous times and never once did I find it self evident that any of the people I saw either had or did not have cancer or heart disease. Nor could I observe if the many bicyclists I saw would ever get heart disease or cancer. Nor could I observe that the people who were not bicycling were more or less likely to have or ever get heart disease or cancer. I also did not observe obviously infirm or sickly people riding bicycles in either Europe or the U.S. It would seem evident that people who appear healthy are more likely to be seen bicycling than those who appear sickly or appear to be obviously unhealthy.
Old 10-03-20, 09:45 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I-Like you are quite correct. I have now read four studies from different sources in the Netherlands and one from the NIH, claiming a 1/2 year increase in life expectancy related to cycling.. I cede to your expertise.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-03-20, 10:02 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I-Like you are quite correct. I have now read four studies from different sources in the Netherlands and one from the NIH, claiming a 1/2 year increase in life expectancy related to cycling.. I cede to your expertise.
As well you should, your references do not support the quantitative claims about cycling reducing heart disease or cancer in NL or anywhere else.
Why not provide an answer to the question - Where is there any credible reference to the previously posted numbers (https://www.bikeforums.net/21718927-post224.html) of 40% reduction in cancer risk and 52% reduction in heart disease and that these alleged fantastic reductions are related to cycling?

Cycling is a good physical exercise, physical exercise is known to be good for health, but don't fool yourself that bicycling by itself has been proven to have magical powers to reduce heart disease or prevent cancer in NL or anywhere else.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-03-20 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Rsbob was not the first poster making the claim about heart disease and cancer reduction
Old 10-03-20, 11:27 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Depends on what Grannie has to say about it.
and if she is a squirter or not
Old 10-03-20, 12:11 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Cycling is no more poor than any single facet of life examined in isolation. Fitness is formed of eating habits, cardio, flexibility and strength training. Consistency is way more significant than which mode you choose for any category, but all categories are necessary for well rounded health.
Old 10-04-20, 11:43 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by gear64
Cycling is no more poor than any single facet of life examined in isolation. Fitness is formed of eating habits, cardio, flexibility and strength training. Consistency is way more significant than which mode you choose for any category, but all categories are necessary for well rounded health.
Good list of important factors affecting fitness. I would add that an individual's genetics, environmental conditions and occupation are also important factors that can/will affect personal fitness.
Old 10-04-20, 01:04 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Has OP ever come back, or was this a drive-by post?
Old 10-04-20, 01:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Has OP ever come back, or was this a drive-by post?
Given that the OP attracted 10 pages of discussion from numerous posters with various opinions and viewpoints on the subject and related topics - does it make a difference?
Old 10-04-20, 10:14 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by djcookie
... Your bones become weaker as you sweat away minerals over long miles. Your muscles and bones don't become any stronger because they don't have to bear any weight. ...
Wow!
Old 10-22-20, 02:49 PM
tyroc7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
jerseys for non-skinny arms?

It does seem jersey manufacturers assume cyclists have skinny arms. I do some resistance training and I can barely fit my arms in the sleeves of some brands. I have to wear xxl or xxxl which results in my arms fitting but the midsection of the ballooning. Do any brands tend size for non-skinny arms and broad shoulders?
Old 10-23-20, 09:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Lost 15 lbs this year taking cycling up again in earnest. Resting pulse rate is down and better bp. Now all my pants and shorts are loose.

Hiked my butt off last year doing day trips, usually 8 miles and 3000’ climbing, and mountain biked about 1-2 hours every couple of days and didn’t lose any weight.

Yeah road biking is lousy for fitness.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-24-20, 07:00 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Lost 15 lbs this year taking cycling up again in earnest. Resting pulse rate is down and better bp. Now all my pants and shorts are loose.

Hiked my butt off last year doing day trips, usually 8 miles and 3000’ climbing, and mountain biked about 1-2 hours every couple of days and didn’t lose any weight.

Yeah road biking is lousy for fitness.
Any sort of getting out and moving around is much better than just sitting on the couch. Getting the heart pumping is what I focus on with regards to exercise so cycling fits the bill. And like you my BP is in terrific shape, which wouldn't be the case if I wasn't riding.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-26-20, 03:20 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,136 Times in 1,441 Posts
All the recent posts about trolls are deleted. This is a long thread but giving members a chance to post anything new or meaningful on the subject.
Old 10-26-20, 08:28 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Have to say, this thread got me thinking about whether I could make my riding a bit more weight bearing though I was already riding SS.

So I switched both bikes to touring bars that are high enough to allow me to stand fully upright over the pedals and reach the bars. So I can stand comfortably for large parts of my rides, especially the hilly sections, where I can stand up while both climbing and descending if I’m in the mood to.

I can still use the forward bends for harder seated riding. It’s really a lot of fun and has improved saddle comfort so much that I’ve also been able to seriously extend ride mileage.

I didn’t see that coming but it’s been a lot of fun. Riding the MTB as a SS with those bars feels about like riding a kid’s bike that fits me now and that is a lot of fun! 👍

Otto
Old 10-26-20, 08:52 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 158 Posts
Saying cycling is a poor form of exercise is a silly statement.
Any exercise imparts "certain" pysical benefits.
Cycling is a great cardio vascular exercise.
Weight bearing exercises are great for strengthening and toning muscle groups.
For overall fitness you should consider supplementing cycling with weight training.
Likes For frogman:
Old 10-26-20, 09:00 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Saying cycling is a poor form of exercise is a silly statement.
Any exercise imparts "certain" pysical benefits.
Cycling is a great cardio vascular exercise.
Weight bearing exercises are great for strengthening and toning muscle groups.
For overall fitness you should consider supplementing cycling with weight training.
Indeed. I rotate cycling, circuit training with weights, elliptical and yoga. With cooler weather and darkness also more running. 👍

Otto

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.