Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike bag

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-20, 09:20 AM
Shamrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Bike bag

Looking for a top bar bag to hold wallet keys phone.What do you recommend?
Old 09-06-20, 01:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
I keep my phone on me. That way if I ever have a wreck and get separated from my bike then I'll be able to call for help if I can't crawl or stumble back to my bike. ID of some sort stays on me too.

I had an old fanny pack you used to wrap around the top tube long ago, but it did get in the way as I got more and more into riding longer rides for fitness. There are other bags made specifically for top tubes, I don't use one anymore though, they still seemed to get in my way at the wrong time.
Old 09-06-20, 01:22 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
I just have a small bag that hangs under my saddle. I have a spare tube, mutlitool, patch kit, my ID, insurance card, credit card and a $20, a pack of Gu and my phone all fit in there. I've thought about keeping the phone and ID on me but if it's in my rear pocket of my jersey, there is always the very real chance that I could end up on my back which could crush the phone rendering it useless. I figure it will at least have the saddle, tire and the seatpost there to partially protect the bag and it's contents. I ride in a pretty densely populated area so I probably won't lay there too long if I go down and can't get back to my bike for the call. If I carry a larger bag then I'll just find more stuff to put in it. I'm that way with backpacking as well. I buy a large backpack and I end up filling it with 50 to 60 pounds of stuff and wrecking my knees. I'll stick with my little under the saddle bag.
Old 09-06-20, 02:20 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
A top bar bag is the one thing I haven't tried. Those that I've considered seem to be too large, and inconvenient on a road bike.

One attractive feature of some of them is a transparent compartment on top for the phone, so you could see the navigation for instance. Again it doesn't work for a road bike, but with a more upright setup that's what I'd be looking for.

Originally Posted by MntnMan62
.... I've thought about keeping the phone and ID on me but if it's in my rear pocket of my jersey, there is always the very real chance that I could end up on my back which could crush the phone rendering it useless....
To agree with this - although OP doesn't really need to justify it - having the phone and wallet in your jersey can do worse than just crush the phone. I broke three ribs landing on it. I had a wallet with it and the force split 2 credit cards in half, somehow ejecting the phone 15 or 20 feet. The phone was fine though.

Last edited by wphamilton; 09-06-20 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-06-20, 03:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A handlebar bag.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 09-06-20, 03:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
I've only had three crashes since the days of carrying a phone with you came into being. My phone survived them all in my back center jersey pocket. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions. There always are.
Old 09-06-20, 03:56 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Jandd makes a nice-and-simple handlebar bag. It can also be used as a seat-bag.
Old 09-06-20, 05:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
I thought the OP was asking about a good bar bag. Maybe he can clarify.
Old 09-06-20, 07:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock
Topeak Tribag. $13. Not too big, holds my phone and ID kit, which is only a license, emergency contact card and ATM card, plus either my car key or a house key. Some bags are big and when you stuff too much crap into them they flop over and get hit by a leg.
Old 09-06-20, 07:25 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Go on the Timbuk2 and/or Chrome industries websites and take a look at their stuff.
Some good bags on sale/clearance too.
Old 09-07-20, 11:14 AM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks guys.I think I will try the small top bar bag.I have a saddle bag for flats but don't like carrying stuff in pockets.
Old 09-07-20, 01:02 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
top-tube is part of frame

bar(s) is usually in reference to handlebars
Old 09-30-20, 04:59 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock
i have seen smallish triangular shaped bags that attach near the rear of the top tube and near the top of the seat tube. Most are part of a pad that allows for shouldering the bike and carrying it more comfortably. Some will certainly say "Fred-like" but it would prolly meet your needs and mostly be out of the way.
Old 09-30-20, 05:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Keep your ID, keys and phone on your person. In an injury emergency you'll probably be separated from your bike. Been there, done that.

Fortunately I had the phone in my jersey pocket after I was hit by a car. My right shoulder and arm were useless, but I keep my phone in my left pocket and can operate it one handed with either hand. Google voice offers only limited voice commands from the lock screen, so it's often still essential to be able to physically reach the phone.

I'll keep spares for the bike on the bike: flat repair kit, mini-tool, even extra snacks and electrolyte powders. But my mini-wallet, keys and phone stay on me, always.
Old 10-01-20, 03:29 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
I have been thinking about this one Revelate Designs Mag Tank Top Tube Bag. my bike has top tube bag bosses, and they make a bolt-on or strap- on version. It looks like it would be very easy for one handed operation, since i am looking to keep snacks etc. (fuel?) in it.
Old 10-01-20, 09:02 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Big Revelate Designs fan here. Excellent quality, great designs:

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...ockpit/Magtank

I actually don't have one of those though. I'm totally sold on using a feedbag as my quick easy-access small bag for phone, snack, etc. Super easy one-handed operation while you're riding too. I use it on both my gravel bikes:

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...ountainFeedbag
Old 10-04-20, 08:00 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Big Revelate Designs fan here. Excellent quality, great designs:

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...ockpit/Magtank

I actually don't have one of those though. I'm totally sold on using a feedbag as my quick easy-access small bag for phone, snack, etc. Super easy one-handed operation while you're riding too. I use it on both my gravel bikes:

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...ountainFeedbag
I love the Revelate feedbags! The BiKase Happy Can is another favorite.

As for the OP's inquiry about top tube bags, I use a Topeak Fastfuel Drybag X (https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...tfuel-drybag-x). When I first got it I hated it. The bag is very rigid and it's tough to squeeze your hand inside the opening even when the zipper is fully open. HOWEVER, the things I initially disliked about the bag are now the very things that I really like. The rigidity of the bag is good because it holds its shape, stays put and does not flop around. The tightness of the opening has also proven to be a benefit because nothing can fall out by accident when I open the bag while the bike is moving.