Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gravel Riders Rejoice

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gravel Riders Rejoice

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 10:29 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
its actually the newest trend in gravel. It’s a gravel bike that has semi slick tires and tight clearances for fast road riding. In order to achieve road bike speeds the rider can wear aero flannel.
I really like my flannel skin suit. It's great for those mid-winter TTs.
Old 10-19-20, 10:37 AM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by zen_
I swear every "gravel" product advert has some variation of this guy in it. I love this one because it looks like they photoshopped in the beard, hat and flannel on a stock photo of a roadie.

I think he may be my long lost brother from another mother...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180719_170041_resized.jpg (445.2 KB, 237 views)
Old 10-19-20, 11:14 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
I am aware of a friend's brother who had a bad accident when his seatpost snapped during a ride; the broken-off seatpost caught a loose shirt and caused greater injury.
I'm curious to know how it was determined that the shirt contributed... but, regardless, none of the stuff being discussed is remotely that flappy; it's all more form fitting than your average off-the-bike apparel.
Old 10-19-20, 11:48 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
$105 for leather gravel riding gloves? Last time I looked I could get some really nice (goatskin) leather gloves for half that!

Oh, I might have to take my wife out to dinner to get her to stich "cycling" on the gloves.
Old 10-19-20, 11:53 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I didn't know those existed and now I'm going to order one..Thanks!
None of this is working out the way the detractors had hoped

This is what I have been wearing mtbing lately (for more warmth in the fall). A merino wool long sleeve and a gilet as a wind break and for the rear pockets. Problem is the Mona Vie graphics (no, I didn't sell the stuff). Would much rather have a long sleeve warmer flannel jersey with the back pockets. I too, wish more of my clothes had them. But... I am also cheap so I have to wait for a French gravel grinder deal

Old 10-19-20, 12:03 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
None of this is working out the way the detractors had hoped

This is what I have been wearing mtbing lately (for more warmth in the fall). A merino wool long sleeve and a gilet as a wind break and for the rear pockets. Problem is the Mona Vie graphics (no, I didn't sell the stuff). Would much rather have a long sleeve warmer flannel jersey with the back pockets. I too, wish more of my clothes had them. But... I am also cheap so I have to wait for a French gravel grinder deal

I figured it wouldn’t

I’m a wool leather and brass kinda guy. I will admit though I had a fleece lined wind proof jacket and a pair of fleece lined tights.

in the end roadie stuff is boring
Old 10-19-20, 12:07 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Love this, but the price is steep. At $120 I'd be really tempted. I've got an REI/Co-op merino blend hoodie with rear pockets that I wear off the bike quite often (and for casual rides). Whenever I don't wear it, I miss those rear pockets and think that they should be on more of my clothes.

I bought a Pearl Izumi version of this hoodie in the spring when it was on sale and I love it. I was looking for something I could layer on top of other bike clothing for cold weather riding, but found it to be a bit too flappy for road riding. It is however great for more casual trail riding, and it's also the perfect light jacket for non-cycling when temps are 45-65F. The rear pocket is quite useful for non-cycling stuff.

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...die/p/19131801
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-19-20, 01:55 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Now I need $200, because I couldn't possibly ride gravel in the same clothes I wear on pavement.
Old 10-19-20, 02:29 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I figured it wouldn’t

I’m a wool leather and brass kinda guy. I will admit though I had a fleece lined wind proof jacket and a pair of fleece lined tights.

in the end roadie stuff is boring
Well.. everything in its season.
I do long distance riding and layerwd road kit is the best performing, lightest system going. But, racing aside, it is somewhat fragile and not as protective off road. What I miss most is the rear pockets on more durable clothing... and definitely less graphics.

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Now I need $200, because I couldn't possibly ride gravel in the same clothes I wear on pavement.
Non non Mosieur. Buy the gravel clothes first. Then you will have the problem of needing to buy separate clothes just for the road.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-19-20 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-19-20, 02:32 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Non non mosuir. Buy the gravel clothes and dare to wear it on the road.
That's even worse.
Old 10-19-20, 02:34 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
That's even worse.
Sorry edited that last bit while you posted. If I didn't know better I would think you did not like the new look
Old 10-19-20, 02:41 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
The clothes are the easy part. It'll be months before I could have a beard like the guy in the picture!
Old 10-19-20, 03:01 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I bought some really nice deer skin leather gloves for about $ 25 dollars...and here we have gravel specific leather gloves for over $ 100 dollars, you're paying $ 75 extra just for the " gravel logo "
Old 10-19-20, 08:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I bought some really nice deer skin leather gloves for about $ 25 dollars...and here we have gravel specific leather gloves for over $ 100 dollars, you're paying $ 75 extra just for the " gravel logo "
What is your point?
Old 10-19-20, 09:07 PM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for a pair of slim fitting (and i mean slim) over-shorts or gravel shorts and some kind of non-roadie shirt for my gravel/adventure rides, but these C de C items are not them. Style aside, they are too expensive and a long sleeve fleece jersey is too warm for my needs. The economics is simple, either I trash my nice road bibs and lightweight jerseys on the trails or buy something more durable. Also i have a vaguely greenish desire to fit with nature more. But I will hold out until i see the right thing. You'd think Patagonia would nail this.
Old 10-20-20, 06:46 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
It costs a lot of money and time to dress like you don’t care what you look like.

But really, this is not any more stupid than what some people go buy to get the right looks for Road or MTB.
Old 10-20-20, 08:34 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
$100 jerseys and $175-200 shorts? Looks like the brand is going for the hipster consumer. A hard pass from me. I'll just use a combo of roadie kit and mountain biker kit when on my "gravel bike". Kinda like by current "gravel" bikes - 650b converted 26er drop bar Ibis 26er trek drop bar and Warbird, the actual gravel bike. I just grab whichever is at the top of the drawer or hanging up.
Old 10-20-20, 11:36 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Bingod
I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for a pair of slim fitting (and i mean slim) over-shorts or gravel shorts and some kind of non-roadie shirt for my gravel/adventure rides, but these C de C items are not them. Style aside, they are too expensive and a long sleeve fleece jersey is too warm for my needs. The economics is simple, either I trash my nice road bibs and lightweight jerseys on the trails or buy something more durable. Also i have a vaguely greenish desire to fit with nature more. But I will hold out until i see the right thing. You'd think Patagonia would nail this.
So you can blend in when you're riding through the flannel forest??
Old 10-20-20, 12:02 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
The more I look at this "collection" the more it seems like a spoof or parody. I had to check to see if this place was even real. What moron would actually buy this stuff? $180 for a pair of baggie shorts? $220 for a jersey that is not even Merino wool?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-20-20, 12:07 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Inspired by the deerskin gloves, and since the suede palm gloves I had when I crashed on gravel a couple of months ago might as well have been made of paper, I began to wonder if someone actually made cycling gloves from kangaroo leather.

And lo and behold, someone actually does:

https://hirzl.one/en/bike-en

I think I'll get a couple of pairs of those come spring (the "comfort" and the "tour" looks ideal).
Old 10-20-20, 01:58 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Inspired by the deerskin gloves, and since the suede palm gloves I had when I crashed on gravel....
What is your point? It could have happened on regular pavement too.
Old 10-20-20, 03:10 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
What is your point? It could have happened on regular pavement too.
Of course it could. It just so happened that it happened for me on gravel, and that the post about deerskin gloves made me think about perhaps getting something stronger than the suede palm ones I wore when I crashed.
And since kangaroo leather are used in the motorcycle industry for the best leather suits and gloves because it is so tear-resistant, it made me do a search for kangaroo bicycle gloves.

I don't have anything against gravel riders. In fact, I kind of feel a bit more kinship with those than the roadies.

Hint: Look at my bikes to the left of this post. I am not really in any of those "camps".

I was merely mentioning a crash I had recently which crushed (spiral fracture) the bone in the left hand that goes to the pinky, had me concussed, tore up my right knee, and, as it happened, tore up my right palm due to the fact that the gloves I was wearing wasn't protective at all when it came down to it.

But, yes, had I fallen on asphalt, I'd probably have broken my cheeck bone in addition to the (mild) concussion).

In short: I found the deerskin post helpful as it prodded me to look for better gloves than what I have previously been using.

Last edited by CargoDane; 10-20-20 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added a bit + clarification
Old 10-20-20, 03:30 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
In the back of my closet I have a couple of nice L/S Pendletons that would be perfect for gravel or MTB and it cost me nothing as XMAS gifts. Who knew?
Old 10-20-20, 04:36 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm curious to know how it was determined that the shirt contributed... but, regardless, none of the stuff being discussed is remotely that flappy; it's all more form fitting than your average off-the-bike apparel.
Apparently his shirt tails wound up wrapped around the broken-off saddle, which had the jagged post-end beneath it. The jagged post end wound up stabbing him. He also got impacted by the part that remained in the frame, and it ruptured his bowel.

I'm going to guess that was not in his top 3 rides.
Old 10-20-20, 04:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Apparently his shirt tails wound up wrapped around the broken-off saddle, which had the jagged post-end beneath it. The jagged post end wound up stabbing him. He also got impacted by the part that remained in the frame, and it ruptured his bowel.

I'm going to guess that was not in his top 3 rides.
That's awful, but it(or something similar) is also so unlikely to happen again, it seems confusing to dress based on the possibility of it happening.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.